IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How Large Is Ares in 2070?, How powerful would you make it?
m00p
post Aug 8 2006, 10:43 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,889

After seeing all of the polls regarding which Mega people would work for, it seems that Ares is a crowd favorite, which lead me to start thinking about the actual size of Ares Macrotechnology.

It took me a while to piece this together but: CATco is gone, and Ares reaps the rewards, not only did Ares, "...swallow up a big chunk of Cross Applied Technologies following the Crash." (SR4, p. 42) But, the major source of competition and hinderances for Ares has been removed, leaving few road blocks in their growth.

So, relating this to Corperate Download:

CATco and Ares' corperate stats (Corporate Download, p. 120) reflects that Ares and CATco were relatively well matched, with Cross having a slight overall advantage in points, and Heavy advantages in Intelligence and Counter-Intelligence.

When it comes to assets themselves (Corperate Download, p. 124) of the Big Ten, CATco is the 9th most wealthy Mega, and Ares the 7th. A Closer examination of the table reflects that Ares and Cross did not have close competition in a ton of markets. CATco had a good position (had a rating of 6 or higher) in computer engineering, computer science, biotech, consumer goods, cybernetics and entertainment. Ares on the other hand, at the time of the buy out had a strong base in (once again, rating 6 or higher:) Aerospace (nearly a monopoly,) consumer goods, entertainment, heavy industry, military technology (once again, nearly a monopoly,) and service.

Here are my questions:

So roughly what precent of CATco was purchased by Ares after the crash?

How relevant are the asset points that Cross had in computer engineering and computer science? (It has been mentioned that the Matrix was going wireless soon anyway, the crash just allowed it to happen a bit sooner.)

Can we use common sense to assert that Ares did not purchase any assets they would not stand to make a profit from? In otherwords would everything purchased after the Crash likely be added to Ares total assets? (That is to say, nothing overlaps, or if it does, it is rebranded under a subsidary, like putting Fruit Loops and Trix on the market to compete with each other, but General Mills still makes makes all of the money.)

How many of Ares secrets got out? Did Knight ensure that his secrets stayed within? If anything did get out, how damaging would it really be to Ares' bottom line?

And finally, other than just renaming assets purchased from CATco, how much raw information was purchsed, and how does it help to propel Ares' research?

Anyway I know it is a lot of questions, but I am interested to hear answers. If you have the Corperate Download book, it would be great if you could in addition to answering some (if not all) of the questions, provide stats for your idea of the Ares of 2070.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Aug 8 2006, 10:54 AM
Post #2

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

im only guessing, put putting it close to on on par with S-K may not be far off...

+Quote Post
Exodus
post Aug 8 2006, 03:44 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 8,981

ask yourself this, how big is military in 2070?

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Aug 8 2006, 04:33 PM
Post #4

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

I would think that Ares would have tried to snap up everything they could, even the things that overlapped.

For example, let's use Trix and Fruit Loops. Let's say that Ares owned Trix, and CATco owned Fruit Loops. When CATco starts sinking, Ares starts 'salvaging'. They could leave Fruit Loops, because they already have a fruity cereal, and taking it would leave them with two competing products, which generally a company dosen't like. But! If they don't take Fruit Loops, Mitsuhama Computer Technologies will branch out into the fruity breakfast cereal market, by taking Fruit Loops. So Ares takes Fruit Loops, they gain modest profit overall, but they prevent MCT from breaking into the market, which means they gain overall.

And in other news, Mitsuhama orders a reprisal Shadowrun on the Fruit Loops factory. Fruity loops of cereal fly everywhere as the grain explosions go off.

+Quote Post
Cynic project
post Aug 8 2006, 04:33 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 6,543

Ares is most likely one of the 5 biggest corps in the world. The first oen being SK. Other big ones would Neo-net, Aztech.. and one the japn corps. Ares was bigger than Cross was in a lot of ways, but the key thing is that they are one three corps too have 2 votes on the CC. So, they tend to get their way more than a few other AAA's.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Aug 8 2006, 04:36 PM
Post #6

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
And in other news, Mitsuhama orders a reprisal Shadowrun on the Fruit Loops factory. Fruity loops of cereal fly everywhere as the grain explosions go off.

Beats fighting in the Chocotart factory.

+Quote Post
booklord
post Aug 8 2006, 04:58 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,583

Well we know Ares grabbed Bioleve and Fletchette Armaments. I imagine they went after all military,

Ares undoubtably put a high priority and eating up any Cross aerospace, military, and personal weapons divisions. In particular they got Fletchete Armaments.

Ares gets a boost from getting Bioleve back from Cross but I think the most of Cross's cybertechnology, biotechnology and medical services divisions would have been heavily targetted by corps like Shaiwase and Yamatetsu.

Crash 2.0 and the wireless revolution probably wiped out the Cross Matrix Technology division. Not much of value left to take.

Cross's electronic and consumer goods were probably targetted heavily by Ares as well. What heavy Industry Cross had probably came next.

+Quote Post
Nath
post Aug 8 2006, 09:22 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,723

Every subsidiary of Cross Applied Technologies had a minimum of half-plus-one of its shares owned by Cross. That's the very definition of a subsidiary. It means that nobody can buy those companies out if Cross doesn't first decide to sell (the only exception would be Cross first losing the subsidiary to a seizure in debt, and Ares buying it from the bank). And unless Cross goes for some blind public offering, it still decides whom it sells to (and blackmailing is not an option, we're talking about Cross, Surrateau, Aurelius, people whose life were destroyed by Knight and Ares). And making the highest bid to get Cross assets without regard to the actual cost would be a completely counter-productive strategy for Ares, giving Cross more money than it would had otherwise gained from that sale for the sole sake of Knight saying "ahahah, I have your toys, aha" in front of Lucien Cross' graves.

Cross wouldn't sell subisidiaries that are really profitable, unless it aims at concentrating the company on its core markets (so, anyway, it should never sell the computer business). Everybody would try to buy the profitable assets put for sale, thus forcing Ares to bid higher than it should (at least, Ares probably has a better knowledge than the other megas of what was working and what wasn't -when they weren't the one responsible for problems-).

Personnaly, I admit Ares bought off parts of Cross only because a canon source says so. But I'd keep it somewhat limited in scope and range. The most concerned should be the media assets and others Aurelius brought with him (a move which wasn't much more realistic) where ties remained, and companies nobody else wanted to buy because Ares already had crushed them (having bought their supplier, planted mole within their staff, copycat their technology...).

+Quote Post
booklord
post Aug 9 2006, 12:36 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Bioleve was stolen by Cross from Ares.
Ares stole it back.

I can only conclude that Biolieve must not have been 50% owned by either corp. Now they have controlled 50% of the proxies giving them complete control of the corp's board and leadership, but they could not have had 50% ownership.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Aug 9 2006, 02:27 AM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

Nath, there are several things you're not taking into account. first, as booklord pointed out, not all the companies under Cross's umbrella were necessarily outrighted 50% Cross property. many were probably 40% Cross and 10% Cross-controlled proxy. get control of those proxies, and suddenly Ares can control 50% of a formerly Cross-held company.

second, Cross-owned stock is controlled by many, many different people. if Cross owns 50% of Company X, that 50% is probably managed (along with several other holdings) by Manager Y, who takes his orders from Manager Z, who takes his orders from Vice-President In Charge of Whatever A, and so on. anyone in that link can be leaned on, bought out, tricked, replaced, or whatever--the end result of which is that suddenly, there's someone in charge of Cross's 50% of Company X that's willing to sell that stock to Ares.

+Quote Post
m00p
post Aug 9 2006, 02:39 AM
Post #11

Target

It is not like Ares had to apply a ton of pressure in the first place, after Lucien Cross died, his will undoubtedly bequeathed his shares to multiple parties (with his son getting at least half) But, in the same way that Damien Knight is Ares, Lucien Cross was CATco, so, after the founder, major shareholder, president, CEO and visionary of the mega dies as the matrix (where all of the corps real money is) crashes, things must have looked incredibly bleak for the corp's future, it is reasonable to assume that people wanted out of CATco stock, and Ares was more than happy to help.

It is not like CATco's board of directors was in a position to make demands about selling off useless pieces of the corp, they were looking out for their own necks, as Aurelius disappeared after the corps demise, trying to save what face he had left after Ares hostile take over.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Aug 9 2006, 02:44 AM
Post #12

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Plus Bernard Cross was suggested to be rather, well, stupid.

+Quote Post
m00p
post Aug 9 2006, 04:15 AM
Post #13

Target

So, to answer my own questions:

[/quote]So roughly what precent of CATco was purchased by Ares after the crash?[/quote]

33%-40% of what was left of viable CATco assets

How relevant are the asset points that Cross had in computer engineering and computer science?
Wireless connectivity had been dicussed in SR3's Matrix so, it is unreasonable to assume that every mega lost everything matrix related, that they were working on. However, I think a good precentage (minimum) that each corp lost is near 40-65% of works in progress that had to do with wired networks. And then 25% of the progress that had to do with wireless networks. This reflects things needing to be retooled for the new wireless matrix, and covers hardware and software changes. CATco's computer engineering and computer science assets are rated at 10 & 8 respectively. Because CATco and Novatech were both on the cutting edge of Matrix tech, it is safe to assume that the two megas lost the least in computer and Matrix tech, compared to Megas such as Ares, Wuxing and Aztechnogoly which has very little in the way of innovation concerning computers.

So, using some made-up numbers I came up with this:

CATco and Novatech, of all computer science and computer engineering assets, 33% of them were geared for wireless (R&D for the upcomming wireless matrix access.) Additionally, because they both contained the keenest programers, the two megas suffered the smallest set backs when it came to retooling wired projects. Novatech losing 40% and CATco losing 45%. These numbers account for reprograms, redesigns and trashed projects. So, with a little bit of math: (.45 * (.25 * .33)) + .45 = 0.487125, or rounded up to 50% reducing CATco's salvageable computer related stats to 4 and 5.

How many of Ares secrets got out? Did Knight ensure that his secrets stayed within? If anything did get out, how damaging would it really be to Ares' bottom line?
It seems to me that even if Ares secrets did get out, they could either be PRed over, or most people would shrug it off saying "They did what they needed to do."

Going back to Corperate Download, I think it would be safe to assume that Ares accumulated at least ten (but my gut leads me to believe it is closer to 20) total asset points from the CATco inicident. Not accounting for Ares' own growth since CD was pritned. And it seems like of all the corps, Ares would be a corp to have been least damage by the Crash, in fact, KE and Hard Corps exist to capitalize on just such a situtation.

So: What did Ares purchase? Bioleve and Fleche Armaments, as booklord pointed out, are the two best bets. Here are some of my theories:

Large portions of:

Cross Entertainment and Media - Ares has PR second only to Aztech, and expanding its influence is never a bad thing.

Cross Global Development - It is heavy industry along with the fact that it is in Ares World Capital: Detroit.

Cross Advanced Electronics - The parent company of Fleche Armaments and Beaux Retail.

Cross Biomedical - It had been growing rapidly in recent years, I think that Ares would buy up at least a portion, to go along with Bioleve.

Artemis Industries - Aircraft engineers

Bioleve - Ares was obviously happy to get back a major subsidary

-------------------------------

As far as how wealthy/powerful Ares is, I am tempted to suggest third or fourth, with the largest being S-K, Azetch and 3/4 being contested by NEOnet and Ares.

+Quote Post
booklord
post Aug 9 2006, 04:43 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

So: What did Ares purchase? Bioleve and Fleche Armaments, as bookworm pointed out, are the two best bets. Here are some of my theories:

bookworm?!? Ouch, man, Ouch. Actually there not bets. They're sure things. Those two were in System Failure.

Cross Entertainment and Media - Ares has PR second only to Aztech, and expanding its influence is never a bad thing.

Maybe. I could see several other corporations interested in that one. In particular Horizon seems to have a strong interest in the entertainment biz. System Failure mentioned both it and Sol Media as eager predators. With so much interest Ares probably focused on other divisions and let the entertainment corps go after this division and do its dirty work for it.

Cross Global Development - It is heavy industry along with the fact that it is in Ares World Capital: Detroit.

A lot of Global was former Ares goods taken over by Aurelius. Ares probably had minority stockholder position in most of them. I'd say Ares managed to get most of them back.

Cross Advanced Electronics - The parent company of Fleche Armaments and Beaux Retail.

Fleche Armaments was taken by Ares. I bet Ares got most of this division. Electronic consumer goods is something Ares probably would get into given its ownership of Leviathan Technical.

Cross Biomedical - It had been growing rapidly in recent years, I think that Ares would buy up at least a portion, to go along with Bioleve.

Ares used to own Bioleve so it an inside advantage in getting it back. But Cross Biomedical itself was targetted by Yamatetsu. ( Obviously to expand their Crashcart operations ) Ares was busy trying to take down Cross as effieciently as possible. Last thing Damien Knight would have wanted was get into a fight with another mega over the scraps. I bet he let Yamatetsu or some other corp with big biotech assets take it.

Artemis Industries - Aircraft engineers

It would be a brave corp indeed to get between Ares and Cross's main aerospace asset. Ares probably all the way.

+Quote Post
m00p
post Aug 9 2006, 05:16 AM
Post #15

Target

I corrected the comment nearly immedeatly, I am sorry for mistaking your name

+Quote Post
booklord
post Aug 9 2006, 05:41 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (m00p)
I corrected the comment nearly immedeatly, I am sorry for mistaking your name

Don't fret about it. I'm was more amused then anything else.

+Quote Post
Sepherim
post Aug 9 2006, 06:08 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,446

I'd say most of the computer divisions in Cross were not ready for the wireless era. The tons of losses due to the Crash and not being prepared for it's aftermath would make an interesting base for explaining why it had to sell all it did. That said, I bet Ares would go mainly for the aerospace divisions, and weaponry, which wouldn't modify that much their own amount of points in the tables that appear in Corporate Download, because IIRC those tables didn't represent raw company size, they represented which part of the whole market the corp "owned"... and Ares is already almost a monopoly in both...

+Quote Post
SL James
post Aug 9 2006, 06:17 PM
Post #18

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

"These go to eleven."

Actually, Aerospace and Militech already go to eleven.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:43 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.