IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Silly question about Innate Spell power, How's that work again?
RunnerPaul
post Aug 13 2006, 01:58 AM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 364

I was looking over the Innate Spell power, and realized that I have a few points I need clearing up:

The limit on spell force equal to twice the critter/spirit's magic attribute just as it is for standard spellcasters, right?

What attribute does the critter/spirit use to resist drain?

A summoner has two spirits bound, the first of which has an Innate Spell. Can summoner use one of the second spirit's services to have it use Aid Sorcery for the benefit of the first spirit's use of Innage Spell?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Aug 13 2006, 02:22 AM
Post #2

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

The limit on spell force equal to twice the critter/spirit's magic attribute just as it is for standard spellcasters, right?

Yes.

Generally speaking it doesn't matter, since spirits have the same value for their Charisma, Intuition, and Logic. If it comes up, each spirit belongs to a tradition, and uses the drain attribute of that tradition.

A summoner has two spirits bound, the first of which has an Innate Spell. Can summoner use one of the second spirit's services to have it use Aid Sorcery for the benefit of the first spirit's use of Innage Spell?

As written? No. I wouldn't have a problem with a player doing that, however.

TEchnically, Aid Sorcery only adds to the summoner's dice pools, so you can't transfer that service to anyone else under any circumstances.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Aug 13 2006, 03:01 AM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

funny... i seem to recall innate spell not causing drain, because it's a critter power... maybe i'm just delusional and tired =P

anyways, as frank pointed out, it really doesn't matter... it's all the same anyways =P

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Aug 13 2006, 03:59 AM
Post #4

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

QUOTE (Jaid)
funny... i seem to recall innate spell not causing drain, because it's a critter power... maybe i'm just delusional and tired =P

No, that's a real memory of a real rule... from 3rd edition.

In 4th ed, the whole rubric of "the effects of a spell but the rules of a critter power" is out the window. Now all the stuff like "Innate Spell: Firebolt" is gone and has been replaced with powers like "Elemental Attack" and "Silence".

Innate Spell is actual spellcasting and uses the normal rules for spellcasting. You no longer have to have discussions about which rules for critter powers and which rules for spells are supposed to apply. You now have the critter power to know and be able to cast an actual spell just like you were a magician.

-Frank

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Aug 13 2006, 05:40 AM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)

Generally speaking it doesn't matter, since spirits have the same value for their Charisma, Intuition, and Logic. If it comes up, each spirit belongs to a tradition, and uses the drain attribute of that tradition.
And so, by that logic, does the thunderbird use it's Charisma/Logic of 1, or it's Intuition of 5 to resist the drain on its Innate Spell: Lightning Bolt? :huh:

TEchnically, Aid Sorcery only adds to the summoner's dice pools, so you can't transfer that service to anyone else under any circumstances.

So, the Aid Sorcery isn't a valid service for the "Loaned Services" clause (p.178)? I know the text of Loaned Services specifically excludes mundane characters from benefiting from magical services that aid in learning, casting or sustaining a spell, but the way I read it, there's nothing that says that those services couldn't be loaned to another awakened character.

Now whether you count spirits as characters is another matter.

+Quote Post
Slithery D
post Aug 13 2006, 06:50 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,059

QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Aug 13 2006, 12:40 AM)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)

And so, by that logic, does the thunderbird use it's Charisma/Logic of 1, or it's Intuition of 5 to resist the drain on its Innate Spell: Lightning Bolt? :huh:

Oh, dear. You probably assume they screwed up and copied its stats over from SR3 by accident; it's almost certainly supposed to have Elemental Attack instead to be consistent with all of the other switch overs, like the old storm spirit Lightning Bolt and fire elemental Flamethrower spells. I would substitute Exotic Ranged Weapon 3 for the Spellcasting 2, adding the point to make up for the Agility being a point lower than Magic.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Aug 13 2006, 10:38 AM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Slithery D)
You probably assume they screwed up and copied its stats over from SR3 by accident

It's not a direct cut and paste. in SR3, it had Innate Spell (Ball Lightning) and in SR4 it has Innate Spell (Lightning Bolt). And on top of that, they gave it a spellcasting skill. I don't belive this was accidental. There's probably some default assumption that never got documented, along the lines of all non-spirit critters with innate spell use intuition to resist drain or something like that.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:04 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.