IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> About California..., and it's sunken state.
Jaid
post Aug 14 2006, 03:23 AM
Post #1

Great Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,813

so then, it seems someone may have been listening to the comments about the impossibility of california becoming an island, and it got written into street magic.

or at least, that's what it looks what happened...

anyways, mostly i'm just curious... having never actually been to california, and not having any particular knowledge of geology beyond high school, i can't tell if the sidebar on page 116 of street magic could actually result (or assist) in california turning into an island or not. maybe i'm just misunderstanding it or something though...

on another note, does anything about an underground series of tunnels with a city in it where the previous inhabitants hid from 'the wrath of god that scoured the earth in ancient time' sound familiar to anyone else? i mean, i'm not all *that* familiar with ED, but it sounds pretty similar to one of those underground shelters that people used to hide from the horrors. and when you add in a city that just sorta popped outta nowhere, it seems even more like a specific city, can't recall the name, that had a tendency to be hard to find cause it wasn't always entirely there....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tekumel
post Aug 14 2006, 03:33 AM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 8,581

QUOTE (Jaid)
and when you add in a city that just sorta popped outta nowhere, it seems even more like a specific city, can't recall the name, that had a tendency to be hard to find cause it wasn't always entirely there....

Avalon?

+Quote Post
SL James
post Aug 14 2006, 03:36 AM
Post #3

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

I'm just wondering what happened to the Laws of Conservation of Mass and Energy. That much rock, soil, and manmade underground materials doesn't just evaporate into thin air.

Speaking of a petaton shockwave...

+Quote Post
Samaels Ghost
post Aug 14 2006, 03:39 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,717

Isn't it an achlera or whatever? It's magic...I don't think it has to behave rationally.

+Quote Post
LilithTaveril
post Aug 14 2006, 03:42 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,533

Well, even magic uses those laws. All you're doing with most spells is energy conversion or energy manipulation. The how of it is the one thing that they need to figure out.

Now, I have a question: Is it possible that all of that mass simply planeshifted?

+Quote Post
Slithery D
post Aug 14 2006, 03:45 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,059

QUOTE (SL James)
I'm just wondering what happened to the Laws of Conservation of Mass and Energy. That much rock, soil, and manmade underground materials doesn't just evaporate into thin air.

Just think how happy you'll be when you find it on a metaplanar quest.

+Quote Post
Ranneko
post Aug 14 2006, 04:13 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,984

QUOTE (LilithTaveril)
Well, even magic uses those laws. All you're doing with most spells is energy conversion or energy manipulation. The how of it is the one thing that they need to figure out.

Now, I have a question: Is it possible that all of that mass simply planeshifted?

That is implied in the section where they talk about alchera that replace landscape. No one knows where it goes while the alchera is present, other than away.

+Quote Post
LilithTaveril
post Aug 14 2006, 04:22 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,533

QUOTE (Ranneko)
QUOTE (LilithTaveril @ Aug 14 2006, 02:42 PM)

That is implied in the section where they talk about alchera that replace landscape. No one knows where it goes while the alchera is present, other than away.

Well, I have a suggestion: The plane of Resident Evil. For when you really want to throw zombies at a character, and really don't want it to be more than a single adventure.

+Quote Post
Tekumel
post Aug 14 2006, 04:59 AM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 8,581

QUOTE (SL James)

Speaking of a petaton shockwave...

Err...maybe the land, cities, etc, slid off into the ocean? If the shear angle was right, all of that land could simply fall off the continental shelf into the ocean. Think of the fish bowl LA would make!

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Aug 14 2006, 06:20 AM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,006

QUOTE (LilithTaveril @ Aug 13 2006, 10:42 PM)
All you're doing with most spells is energy conversion or energy manipulation.

Earthdawn has/had magic that allowed total transfer of matter from the physical plane to, I think, the astral. And back intact later. It has been suggested that Harleqin's Power of Plot style long distance movement is based on this. An ED geek should be able to enlighten you more on this.

Obviously magic that is out of reach of mortal control at the moment, but it certainly does exist within the mythos.

EDIT You can also go check out the Earthdawn background fiction on their webpage. It talks about entire cities popping out of the physical plane. I believe that the main centre of civilization before the last scourge by the Horrors, the island of Theran AKA Atlantis, popped out of the physical plane to avoid the Horrors.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Aug 14 2006, 08:40 AM
Post #11

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (Brahm)
QUOTE (LilithTaveril @ Aug 13 2006, 10:42 PM)
All you're doing with most spells is energy conversion or energy manipulation.

Earthdawn has/had magic that allowed total transfer of matter from the physical plane to, I think, the astral. And back intact later. It has been suggested that Harleqin's Power of Plot style long distance movement is based on this. An ED geek should be able to enlighten you more on this.

Obviously magic that is out of reach of mortal control at the moment, but it certainly does exist within the mythos.

EDIT You can also go check out the Earthdawn background fiction on their webpage. It talks about entire cities popping out of the physical plane. I believe that the main centre of civilization before the last scourge by the Horrors, the island of Theran AKA Atlantis, popped out of the physical plane to avoid the Horrors.

Parlainth. Thera was protected by the Rites of Passage and Protection, modified to work with a giant True Elemental barrier (true air, I believe).

Parlainth just vanished for no apparent reason and was completely deserted when it reappeared. It has been speculated that it was shifted to the metaplanes, but there were few clues as to the location of the former inhabitants.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Aug 14 2006, 09:25 AM
Post #12

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

The magicians of Parlainth also cast a really powerfulritual spell that wiped out all knowledge about the city, be if written or in the memories of name-givers.

Well, they appearantly had some Horrors in the city when they sealed it off and vanished from the physical plane.

@Brahm: there are possiblities to transfer matter into the astral. Or transfer a whole city into a wine bottle (the spell is called "City in a bottle").

+Quote Post
HullBreach
post Aug 14 2006, 02:38 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,055

Hmmm...

This sounds like a great excuse to put my players into rebreather rigs and do a little deep sea fun.

Is there any material regarding the behaivior of magic underwater?

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Aug 14 2006, 03:15 PM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

The California situation didn't make a whole lot of sense to me when I read it, so since I had an opportunity to do write-ups on various magical areas in the Astral Space chapter of SM, I went ahead to try to make a bit more sense out of it. I admit there is a bit of magical hand-waving involved, but it does help explain it and it also does tie it in with other metaplot details in SR (especially stuff from the SoLA Aztlan chapter, but also it ties into the Pueblo annexation of Los Angeles, the rise of the Chavez faction in Aztechnology's leadership, and the strangely high population of feathered serpents in Denver prior to Ghostwalker's return).

Yes, the Deep Lacuna works the same way as an alchera. The displaced material is somewhere, but no one quite knows where. And yes, it does have similarities to Parlainth from Earthdawn, but I would not take the words of the crazy lagoon prophet as chip-truth. People familiar with my writing know that I do like to toss in Earthdawn references for fun, but that doesn't mean they are true. ;)

Also, it's worth mentioning that California isn't really an island, though a portion of it is. In the case of Los Angeles, certain sections of it are flooded, but not all of it. And yes, this should be provide a good opportunity for crazy underwater spelunking runs. And I think that Target: Wastelands has information underwater magic.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Aug 14 2006, 05:58 PM
Post #15

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
People familiar with my writing know that I do like to toss in Earthdawn references for fun, but that doesn't mean they are true. ;)

And let us dedicated readers coem up with ideas, conclusions and theories about it. And all we get is an "yeah, that may be true. Or not."

I love it. :D

+Quote Post
Cynic project
post Aug 14 2006, 07:24 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 6,543

If this were to happen in the real world, humanity may or may not be left alive, if it was their would have ben a death toll in the Billions. I am talking around at least 3 billion..

+Quote Post
Samaels Ghost
post Aug 14 2006, 07:33 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,717

(especially stuff from the SoLA Aztlan chapter, but also it ties into the Pueblo annexation of Los Angeles, the rise of the Chavez faction in Aztechnology's leadership, and the strangely high population of feathered serpents in Denver prior to Ghostwalker's return)

That's a lot of behind the scenes plot. I like it! :D

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Aug 15 2006, 01:08 AM
Post #18

Decker on the Threshold

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,156

QUOTE (Cynic project)
If this were to happen in the real world, humanity may or may not be left alive, if it was their would have ben a death toll in the Billions. I am talking around at least 3 billion..

Well, considering the way nukes have been tossed around like candy in the SR mythos we're well overdue.

Haven't had a chance to read the sidebar yet (don't have SM for now), but from the rumors I'm at least somewhat less nauseated by this development than, well, essentially everything I've seen written about Cal in SR*. So color me guardedly optimistic, I guess. :)

*I don't think to date I've read a single word written about Calfree that I'd agree makes an ounce of sense. Further, save for the People's University--which I do think is a cool idea--I don't really like much of it either, nor do I think any of it makes for many good run settings or plot hooks.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Aug 15 2006, 03:00 AM
Post #19

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
*I don't think to date I've read a single word written about Calfree that I'd agree makes an ounce of sense. Further, save for the People's University--which I do think is a cool idea--I don't really like much of it either, nor do I think any of it makes for many good run settings or plot hooks.

what about the universal brotherhood... i think that made sense that it started in california.

+Quote Post
coyote6
post Aug 15 2006, 03:05 AM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 7,675

QUOTE (Jaid)
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Aug 14 2006, 08:08 PM)

what about the universal brotherhood... i think that made sense that it started in california.

In Gilroy, wasn't it?

That always made me think UB chapterhouses should smell of garlic.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Aug 15 2006, 04:08 AM
Post #21

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

Geez, there are like four of us who get that reference.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Aug 15 2006, 05:52 AM
Post #22

Prime Runner

Member No.: 7,665

Why do Vampires hate Gilroy?

[ Spoiler ]

-Frank

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:00 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.