IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Translators, Have Linguasofts exterminated them?
Tekumel
post Aug 14 2006, 08:31 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,581

As part of a character background I'm working on, I was thinking of having one of his family members be a government translator...but with the existance of Linguasofts, do they still exist? I seem to remember in more than one place talking about Linguasofts not being 100% accurate or complete, so I would think that a truly bi-lingual translator would still be a valuable asset.

Opinions?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TheNarrator
post Aug 14 2006, 09:29 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,631

Linguasofts lack the nuance of a (meta)human translator. Matador mentions this in Fields of Fire, where he advises mercs to learn the language from a local speaker, not from a linguasoft.

+Quote Post
Tekumel
post Aug 14 2006, 09:32 AM
Post #3

Target

So then they'd still be practical, especially in government applications?

Was thinking of having the character's mother be a UCAS-born half blooded Ute, working for the Department of State as a Ute translator.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Aug 14 2006, 09:42 AM
Post #4

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

At higher levels where the wording of an agreement is subject to the strictest scrutiny, yes. At working level, not necessarily practical. Useful perhaps.

+Quote Post
Tekumel
post Aug 14 2006, 09:54 AM
Post #5

Target

Hmm...maybe not so much as a diplomatic use as an intelligence? Department of Defense, or Homeland Security, instead of State?

+Quote Post
El_Machinae
post Aug 14 2006, 10:49 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,188

Plus the companies that build the linguasofts would need translators.
Which is funny, because as linguasofts become more popular, the number of people who are bilingual will go down naturally - making it harder to find competant translators.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Aug 14 2006, 12:59 PM
Post #7

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

There are several intelligence uses for bi/multi-lingual people.

1) Communication intercepts - The intercepts are often made by people who are trained and know how to insert or work certain codewords into their conversations. So even if you are a native speaker, you might not be able to spot the codewords and even if you do, you might not know what they mean.

2) Training - Language schools who train people to speak other languages. They often have to train people to speak the language in the shortest possible time and teach them not only the proper use of the language but the "street" versions of it.

Often in intel, the person with the knowledge of the language is the guy on the ground making contact, not purely as a translator. The only time I suppose that a translator simply for translation is necessary is when a high level communication is intercepted and they need to milk as much info from the nuances as possible and at that ;evel, you'd want a professor of the language and I doubt you'd be able to find a linguasoft of that rating.

+Quote Post
HullBreach
post Aug 14 2006, 03:43 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,055

The best example I can think of for this comes from real life:

Take a Japanese kid who has learned classroom english, and drop them in a pub in Dublin. This is going to be an effect simalar to that of trying to use a linguisoft in a slang-heavy area (i.e. the sorts of low class places shadowrunners wind up).

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Aug 14 2006, 04:04 PM
Post #9

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (Tekumel @ Aug 14 2006, 04:54 AM)
Hmm...maybe not so much as a diplomatic use as an intelligence? Department of Defense, or Homeland Security, instead of State?

Certainly they would be useful in diplomatic situations.

"You mean that the head of Saeder-Krupp are your Ambassador because his lingasoft translated [insert innocuous English word] as [equivalent German word], which was technically correct but was also a vulgar slang term for the bottom in a homosexual BDSM relationship? That's hilarious. He's launching nukes at your capitol right now? Even funnier."

+Quote Post
Conskill
post Aug 14 2006, 06:36 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,811

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Certainly they would be useful in diplomatic situations.

"You mean that the head of Saeder-Krupp are your Ambassador because his lingasoft translated [insert innocuous English word] as [equivalent German word], which was technically correct but was also a vulgar slang term for the bottom in a homosexual BDSM relationship? That's hilarious. He's launching nukes at your capitol right now? Even funnier."

It happens. Way back when I was learning French, one of the other students put together a technically accurate sentence, "I am cold."

After he was done chortling (he was the sort of guy that chortles instead of snickers), the professor told us what that arrangement of words mean, as opposed to what they translate to from English. He used it to launch into one of his favorite lecture points: Translators must translate the meaning and intent of a sentence, not simply the component words and sentence structure.

Lingisoft probably works on a word for word level, maybe even a sentence for sentence level. That's going to be a big step down from fluency.

+Quote Post
Dog
post Aug 14 2006, 06:57 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,025

A linguasoft would probably be a good translator but not an interpreter.

Say a frantic guy comes running up to you on the street, shouting something. Most of what he says may be exclamations and stammering, and a linguasoft might "hear" something wrong because it doesn't allow for the context, or it might begin to lag. An interpreter would be able to pull the important parts of the speech out and pass them on in a timely matter.

Also consider the differences in grammar. A linguasoft may have to hear an entire sentence before sorting it into say the subject-verb-object structure of English, so you don't really get your info in real-time this'd make conversations with linguasofts irritating.

Fields of fire also suggests that learning an area's language shows a lot of respect; when you are able to have a real conversation, people are a lot more likely to talk to you.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Aug 14 2006, 10:19 PM
Post #12

Midnight Toker

QUOTE (Conskill)
It happens. Way back when I was learning French, one of the other students put together a technically accurate sentence, "I am cold."

After he was done chortling (he was the sort of guy that chortles instead of snickers), the professor told us what that arrangement of words mean, as opposed to what they translate to from English.

Please, enlighten us. What did they mean?

+Quote Post
Conskill
post Aug 15 2006, 01:16 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,811

Alledgedly, the exact term he used is popular slang for, ah, lacking sexual prowess. I never got a good enough handle on the language to confirm that, so there's always the possibility the professor was a perv instead.

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Aug 15 2006, 02:49 AM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 2,316

I like hiring translators local, manly because of dialects, one language is spoken many different ways even in a rather small geographical area. Plus translators in these places are also usually good guides to the city or region you want to do work in. And they can vouche for you to the local bosses till you get known in the area and can operate on your own.

+Quote Post
Slump
post Aug 15 2006, 10:13 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,492

I've always treated linguasofts as sort of a better version of babelfish. I'm sure we've all played the "what can I get from this sentence" game with the various online translation software.

After just a few passes through different languages, you almost always end up with complete gibberish, even on simple sentences.

For example, "Which way did the red sports car go?" translated to and then from french ended up as "Which manner the sports car of red did it disappear?"

As a shadowrunner, you might actually need to ask which way the red sportscar went, so this may pose a problem.

----------

The way I run it, chipped languages won't replace actual language skills. It will work, in the same way that a pocket english-french dictionary will work. You can get your point across, but that's about it. You can communicate, but not converse.

+Quote Post
El_Machinae
post Aug 15 2006, 12:15 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,188

I think the quality of the linguasoft would determine most of the problems in this thread. A high-quality program would allow you to survive in a pub in Dublin.

Though the bit about waiting for the whole sentence before translating was a good one; and the same with weaning out the unimportant words...

+Quote Post
Dog
post Aug 15 2006, 12:55 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,025

An example of the subtleties of language: I was volunteer-tutoring a lady from Mexico who wanted to prepare questions for the teacher of her seven-year-old. One of the questions she wrote out by herself was "Does he make many friends at school? I ask because he tells me he plays with himself a lot."
I had to delicately explain why her sentence, although technically correct, held a completely different meaning. She was very grateful that we edited the question before it went to the teacher.

There's also the issue of body-language. Is a linguasoft gonna know stuff like 'don't show them the soles of your feet?' Hey, maybe a really good one would!

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Aug 15 2006, 02:50 PM
Post #18

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (Dog)
Is a linguasoft gonna know stuff like 'don't show them the soles of your feet?'

First of all, I think the answer to this would be 'no'. I think linguasofts only help with the verbal components of communication.
Second, if this is a reference to a real-life culture, which one? 'Cause I've never heard of this rule anywhere.

btw: "plays with himself a lot" Hiliarious. :-)

+Quote Post
Crossfire
post Aug 15 2006, 05:28 PM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 8,532

Wouhou! French teacher here :D

"I am cold" would be translated as "J'ai froid". The French version actually means in English "I have cold". So the French version uses a different verb... Same goes with age. In English, you "are" a certain age; in French, you "have" a certain age...

As for lack of sexual performance, you can actually say "une femme froide" but a better expression would be "femme frigide" which has the same meaning as "frigid woman" I think...

And speaking of translators, let's just hope we will always need teachers too :P

BTW, do you think you could actually learn a skill faster using skillsofts? especially linguasoft...

Peace!

Crossfire

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Aug 15 2006, 05:57 PM
Post #20

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
QUOTE (Dog @ Aug 15 2006, 07:55 AM)

First of all, I think the answer to this would be 'no'. I think linguasofts only help with the verbal components of communication.
Second, if this is a reference to a real-life culture, which one? 'Cause I've never heard of this rule anywhere.

Some parts of south east asia I believe.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Aug 15 2006, 06:48 PM
Post #21

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

BTW, do you think you could actually learn a skill faster using skillsofts? especially linguasoft...

a skillsoft do not teach you anything, it just performs the motions needed for whatever skill you have loaded.

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Aug 15 2006, 06:56 PM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 2,316

QUOTE (Ophis)
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Aug 15 2006, 03:50 PM)
QUOTE (Dog @ Aug 15 2006, 07:55 AM)

Some parts of south east asia I believe.

Im pretty sure its the middle east. During the invasion of Iraq many Iaqi complained that soldiers were stepping on them and using their feet to control them. They said it was disrespectful. Also the news had mant shots of the Iraqis stepping on or smacking pictures of Saddam with their shoes. The one funny a guy lifted his robes and rubbed his testicles on Saddams picture. I guess rubbing your testicles on a guy is an insult everywhere.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Aug 15 2006, 06:58 PM
Post #23

QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
I guess rubbing your testicles on a guy is an insult everywhere.

I'm glad mankind has finally found some common ground. :S

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Aug 15 2006, 07:18 PM
Post #24

Midnight Toker

I'm pretty sure that some cultures would see it as a sign of affection.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Aug 15 2006, 07:29 PM
Post #25

I think that would depend very much on whether or not you've bought the guy a drink first.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:53 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.