Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gun Safety, Biometrics
zeb.hillard
post Aug 14 2006, 06:43 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,965

Yes, sue me, I haven't used the search function yet. In my opinion, if it isn't on the first two or three pages it doesn't exist. :P

The street samurai in the group I am going to run for wants to put a surefire safety on her handgun loaded with ExEx, and only that gun, in the form of a biometric monitor (Much like Judge Dread but without the weird helmets). However, if I recall correctly, the book doesn't give a size, weight, or any in-depth information on the Biometric readers.

Should I just take half-again the price of the reader onto the gun, or does anyone else out there have something formulated for this kind of firearm upgrade?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Aug 14 2006, 06:56 PM
Post #2

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

heh, go with skinlink and a special (ie, gm handwave) smartlink code for that kinda use for now.
i have a feel that arsenal will have a lot of toys to play around with for this kinda use.

hmm, i wonder if the topic of this thread will summon any of the firearms demons...

+Quote Post
zeb.hillard
post Aug 14 2006, 07:00 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,965

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
heh, go with skinlink and a special (ie, gm handwave) smartlink code for that kinda use for now.
i have a feel that arsenal will have a lot of toys to play around with for this kinda use.

hmm, i wonder if the topic of this thread will summon any of the firearms demons...

That's actually, probably, the best way to go for it. Thanks for noting my obvious oversight.

+Quote Post
Charon
post Aug 15 2006, 12:33 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 7,087

If the weapon's smartlink is subscibed to your commlink, I think you can put on the safety remotely should a thug somehow end up with your weapon. I guess that would the economical option to gun safety.

You can go for a biometric gimmick but it's kind of annoying. You can't use your weapon with glove. Not that it matters much, given that your biometrics info are in the gun anyway.

That's the kind of thing that makes more sense for a police officer than for a professional criminal, IMO.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Aug 15 2006, 01:02 AM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (Charon)
If the weapon's smartlink is subscibed to your commlink, I think you can put on the safety remotely should a thug somehow end up with your weapon. I guess that would the economical option to gun safety.

This would mean leaving the wireless capabilities of your gun turned on all the time though. Think about that.

+Quote Post
Kesh
post Aug 15 2006, 01:29 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,958

Easiest solution is pretty much given above. For extra security, go for a cyberware commlink, so yours cant be taken from you.

+Quote Post
hawklost
post Aug 15 2006, 02:08 AM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 9,106

I believe I would be more worried about a hacker/TM hacking the link and causing the gun's safety to be turned on/off at inappropreate times. Considering that having your safety turn on and then your clip to be ejected while trying to fire at someone would be a mite inconvenient for some people.

On the other hand, there is nothing stopping yoru own teams Hacker/TM from doing the same thing if the opposition fools keep their link to their gun open. Unless I am mistaken, it can't be too hard to hack/jam a guns wireless signal. (If I am mistaken, then please accept my apologies.)

+Quote Post
Conskill
post Aug 15 2006, 02:17 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,811

It's not hard if you're hugging them.

A device with signal rating 0 (which I'd imagine a gun possesses) doesn't transmit far enough to safely hack even in a pistol-range battle.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Aug 15 2006, 02:52 AM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

according to the BBB, the biometric scanner accessory can work with "any electronic device". in SR4, that includes your gun, and especially if it's a smartgun. simply skinlink them together, and you're good to go.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Aug 15 2006, 12:25 PM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 948

You dont even need biometric safety, all you need is a Linked passcode (see page 215, passcodes). The streetsam must give a code to the gun and the gun in turn doublechecks with a registry of codes on your smartlink.

If someone else takes the gun they must either hack it or remove the smartlink.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Aug 15 2006, 12:35 PM
Post #11

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

Or, if you want to use magic - let a spirit posess the gun and block it if the user has the wrong aura.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 11:58 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.