Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Recruiting:(title to be named later)
JackRipper
post Aug 16 2006, 10:40 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,623

Designing a game around heavy, and I mean heavy magic (paranormal) influences. All submissions need not be "magically active". The one thing the concept must include is a brush with evil in the past. This game will focus on investigation/research and problem solving. (And as a former Marine, I do understand some things can be solved with a gun, but that's not the main focus here)

The bare bones of it:

400 Bp's
Canon material only
Seattle Area (for now)
No starting out as an Intiate
No technomancers (Nothing against them just doesnt mesh)

I have Street Magic, so you may use/reference it.

I havent set a limit on players (as yet)

If you are planning on playing a 'Mojo Slinger' be up to the challenge of roleplaying it. My reasoning is this, it is a way of life. Mojo Slingers burn through karma for a reason, magic pervades your every waking hour (and some of your sleep too muaaahhaaaa).

Mojo Slingers need not have had a brush with evil (their very nature makes them aware of the paranormal out there)

Mojo Slingers will find it very helpful to have access to Street Magic (not required but very helpful)

Please post any questions you have here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ARKARY
post Aug 16 2006, 11:47 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,207

I'd be interested in coming up with something. But with the heavy paranormal influences you mentioned, what exactly would be a good area for a non-awakened character to focus on?

+Quote Post
JackRipper
post Aug 16 2006, 11:50 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

any really. It's plausible for any 'archetype' to become involved.

+Quote Post
ARKARY
post Aug 17 2006, 12:04 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,207

Cool. And when you say "evil," is that magic evil or can it be the megacorp/gang sort of evil?

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Aug 17 2006, 12:08 AM
Post #5

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

When do you want character submissions by?

+Quote Post
JackRipper
post Aug 17 2006, 12:23 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Evil as in magic/paranormal

Deadline will be in two weeks (August 30)
Please post as you come up with things

Genre Films that may help get those creative juices going:

Constatine
Hellboy
the ninth gate
Van Helsing
Supernatural (TV show)
the Mummy

+Quote Post
Blitz
post Aug 17 2006, 01:22 AM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 2,422

damn it...if only I wasn't so swamped ;)

Y'all will have a blast with this one Im sure.

+Quote Post
Abbandon
post Aug 17 2006, 01:41 AM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,716

Hmmm i made up a shaman awhile back but i havent been able to flesh out his personality or choose a mentor spirit. I thought of a kool brush with evil though. Ever play God of War for the ps2? Kratos is this normal soldier guy and as he fights in this war he gets promoted to greater and greater ranks until he has control of a large group of men. His group is sent to take on this enemy force and they are getting slaughtered so kratos pleads to Ares the god of war to grant him the power to destroy his enemies.

Ares grants his wish and Kratos becomes an unstoppable killing machine and he goes around with his men slaughtering enemy forces. One day while he is plundering and destroying this village he meets this old wizard person who i think is one of the other gods or an oracle for one of the other gods. They tell kratos to take a look around and when he does he sees that he has slaughtered his wife and kid. Ares had made him attack his own village so that he would have no ties to anyone so he could be the ultimate tool.

Well kratos gets pissed and takes off on a quest to kill ares. This sounds kool for your game. Maybe some magical dude is kinda evil and he summons a bad ass spirit to help guide him and make him stronger or something. If he has a mentor spirit then he has stopped talking to him and only follows what the evil spirit tells him to do. Well eventually the evil spirit makes him kill a bunch of people or maybe a family member or his whole family and he doesnt realize he is doing it until its to late.

Afterwards the spirit would laugh at him and the guy would banish the spirit or something or so he thinks. Then after the character excepts what he has done he begins to hunt down and banish evil spirits. Eventually running into his evil spirit at some point in time.

Its kind of a rip off of Talon from the novels but its also different. Talon summoned his evil spirit out of rage and then it ran off afterwards. This dudes evil spirit actually influenced and controlled the mage for awhile.

To bad i cant figure out a nice mentor spirit for my guy =(.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Aug 17 2006, 02:28 AM
Post #9

The Dragon Never Sleeps

I'm working on a Mystic Adept with Dragon Mentor, but wow do the BP get eaten up fast for an awakened character....

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Aug 17 2006, 03:21 AM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,180

I like the brush with evil concept. I will probably have a submission ready in a day or two.

Had an idea for an aspected magician, with a very focused magical skill-set - we'll see if it would fit in.

+Quote Post
JackRipper
post Aug 17 2006, 03:34 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Abbandon:

The brush with evil isnt meant to be taken as you've turned to it, only that you were effected by it in some way. Your concept seems almost 180 from my intended plot line. You will be part of (as PC's) a group that hunts down among other things those on the twisted path (which is what you discribed the PC would be like, or had been)

Ares/Mars uses the Wolf totem (From Street Magic)

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Aug 17 2006, 03:37 AM
Post #12

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Sounds like someone experienced in Insect Spirits would fit in then. Do you want details posted in this thread, or sent separately?

+Quote Post
FanGirl
post Aug 17 2006, 03:44 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,438

I just got an idea: what if I were to play a young woman whose boyfriend became an insect shaman? It's the classic story: boy meets girl, boy meets bug spirit, boy starts acting creepy, girl is alarmed by boy's creepiness, boy loses girl, boy kidnaps girl to invest her with Queen spirit in effort to get her back, girl fatally wounds boy and escapes.

+Quote Post
Mekalus
post Aug 17 2006, 08:02 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,609

Hmm Definitely interested. Will be working up an aspected magician for this I think. will have to see how the points work out but I have a good idea for background and his brush with twisted magic. This sounds like a lot of fun. Will post or edit later once I have the details worked out but count me in. :)

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Aug 17 2006, 02:12 PM
Post #15

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Introductory blurb. Comments?

Sir Gregor Stanis Milan Tanislaw, Knight Lieutenant of the Order of the Dragon, Defender of Rome, Warden of the New World, Holder of the Red Cross, is charged with the defense of the New World against the incursion of the Infidels. In this century, and perhaps for the forthcoming millennia that is defined as the Horrors. To this end Gregor "Sweetness" Tanis has come to Seattle to coordinate efforts between various groups to battle the Horrors.

Gregor is an orc aging well into his early thirties. He wears his greying hair with distinction, though it is in a short military style. His trim and well cared for mustachio is a concession to vanity. He dresses conservatively but well, typically with tailored suits in conservative style. In a bid to capture past style and fashion he carries a stylish leather wrapped steel cane with an ornately carved handle in the form of a dragon encircling a cross as it strangles itself with it's own tail. Or perhaps it is simply eating it's own tail, it's hard to tell without close inspection.

+Quote Post
JackRipper
post Aug 17 2006, 03:00 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

OK, since I did mention no prior intiation, these are social groups or imaginary titles? (besides not in the books.......the Catholic church has an Order of St. Sylvester that is all mages, if that's what youre looking for. There is also a New Templars movement if that is what youre looking at, but the dragon totem doesnt fit)

As a side to that Charles University in Prague has a dragon as lead professor in Thaumology. (Also runs BENANDANTI XXV ...this of course is secret and OOC )

+Quote Post
JackRipper
post Aug 17 2006, 03:16 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Some stuff from Street Magic (If you dont have it)

POSITIVE QUALITIES
Astral Sight 5BP (Mundanes only)
Latent Talent 5BP (Mundanes only,magic ability manifests later)
Spell/Spirit Knack (Mundanes only, one spell or spirit you can cast/summon)
Spirit Pack 5BP x Spirits Edge (care to make a deal with the devil lol)

NEGATIVE QUALITIES
Cursed 5BP per rating (max 4, gremlins for magic)
Focus addiction 5 to 30BP
Geas 10BP:
GEAS TYPES
condition
fasting
gesture
incantation
ritual
talisman
time

+Quote Post
JackRipper
post Aug 17 2006, 03:25 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Insect spirits do fit in well with the plot line (Being the latest 'Mofo's' able to mount a full on invasion), but i'd like variety as not every problem is a 'bug', some things out there are much older, much darker.( Hey,I think I just found my opening line) I even plan to cross cultural barriers here...evil Kami (japanese) that take on the appearance of Oni (demons), Djinn (Islamic spirits), etc.

+Quote Post
krayola red
post Aug 17 2006, 03:34 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,097

This one sounds fun. I'll whip up a quick character concept and post it here in a bit. :)

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Aug 17 2006, 03:46 PM
Post #20

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Order of the Dragon is an old real world order created by the Holy Roman Emperor during one of the Ottoman invasions. Had a certain Tepes fellow as a founding member. I was thinking of the Order as a current secret order perpetuated by the descendants over the past few centuries, and becoming more active with the Awakening. I thought the membership and initiation would be more of a mundane initiation, not the magical one, which might be a sub group or different charter within the Order that could happen later. (Given Karma and survival) So it's not a book order, but one "made up". THe original charter actually exists somewhere.

I have Street Magic, and am looking at a couple of the new Adept powers in there Commanding Voice and Cool Resolve look interesting.

For knowledge of threats other then Insect spirits, would Horrors (Traditional European Medieval Christian) work better?

I think the core concept is a Christian Crusader.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Aug 17 2006, 03:50 PM
Post #21

The Dragon Never Sleeps

I've got a CS and BG started and I'm cycling through the usual pattern of matching the sheet and BG together and modifying as I go.

Incomplete Sheet
[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
FanGirl
post Aug 17 2006, 03:59 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,438

Is that a cane sword focus I see? You have to accept this character!

+Quote Post
venenum
post Aug 17 2006, 04:44 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,033

Looks fun i think ill join in more later. I take it the theme is magic so cybering is a no no.

+Quote Post
JackRipper
post Aug 17 2006, 04:44 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Dire:

how long has he been in Seattle? reason I ask is the 4 in Seattle High society, if he's not been here that long then maybe its better to spend elsewhere (a point or so)

Also; Horrors is pretty much Parazoology and your Christian medieval in my opinion a specialization. (A rose by any other name...)

+Quote Post
JackRipper
post Aug 17 2006, 04:50 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Cybering is fine, if youre not a magically active person. Any concept has a chance here. A guy who becomes a street Samurai to combat the dark paranormal forces is as welcome (possibly needed) as any other. Magic and the paranormal is the central theme, but not the only allowable type. Hell you could be a "normal" kid/person with the latent talent quality whose studying to become magically active. What ties you to the game is that, you know those things that bump in the night, and you bump back.[-from the movie HellBoy]

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 01:03 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.