Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Magical threats in SM
Slithery D
post Aug 21 2006, 03:32 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,059

I'm surprised no one has really commented on this section yet. In my opinion, this is arguably the most improved of any over previous editions. Past toxics and other bad magical news had little flavor and few mechanics other than "more powerful." Reading the SM toxic section and seeing the spirit artwork was the first time I can recall actually thinking of toxics as dangerous, demented, and scary rather than just overpowered and a bit cartoonish. My congratulations to everyone who worked on this.

Insect spirits weren't as lacking in past editions, but the cleanup, consolidation, and standardization among them is nice, if biologically implausible in certain cases, but even that is handwaved adequately.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cabral
post Aug 21 2006, 06:25 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,646

I've only had a chance to glance it so far, but I really liked how they handled the threats section, including a sort of "build a threat workshop". In particular I liked the a cannabal adept. :)

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Aug 21 2006, 03:23 PM
Post #3

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

I loved it. It's FULL of really good ideas.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Aug 21 2006, 04:32 PM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 185

A lot of work went into this particular chapter and I'm rather pleased with the way it came out. I believe it does a pretty good job of conveying what makes each Threat unique and giving each some color and menace of its own. Heck, it even adds some new twists to old favorites. My thanks to the writer and everyone who contributed ideas and feedback.

+Quote Post
ThreeGee
post Aug 21 2006, 04:47 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,858

A lot of work went into this particular chapter

What I really like is the way the dark paths now fall under the same rules structure as the rest of the magic system. Makes it far more of a temptation for PC's that way...

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Aug 21 2006, 06:51 PM
Post #6

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

heh, time to break out a dwarf with a yoda attitude :P

+Quote Post
knasser
post Aug 21 2006, 09:06 PM
Post #7

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

I found the threats section inspiring. Can't give much higher praise than that.

The Insect Spirits section was the very first part that I read when I got the PDF. I wasn't dissappointed with the rules - all very elegant and playable - and there was some stirring of inspiration with the new insect spirit categories. Nymphs? Interesting. :)

But when, much later, I re-read the whole threats section, it really got my creative juices going. Reminded me just how cool I thought some of this stuff was when back in SR2, Initiation and Ally Spirits first appeared. Shadow Spirits - me like. And twisted path adepts! I have to agree that the cannibal metamagics are great and personally have been the basis of a great new bad guy.

My game is re-inventing the Shadowrun history and I'm going to be taking players through Queen Euphoria (wish they'd release a PDF). Insect Spirits for the first time! *shiver*. The new rules couldn't have come at a better time.

+Quote Post
Dr. Dodge
post Aug 21 2006, 09:24 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,683

QUOTE (knasser)
My game is re-inventing the Shadowrun history and I'm going to be taking players through Queen Euphoria (wish they'd release a PDF). Insect Spirits for the first time! *shiver*. The new rules couldn't have come at a better time.

Hey me too. I definitely like how the various insect types were streamlined, while letting them keep a unique power. Some of my players know about the UB though, so now I just need to think up a fake name for that organization :)

+Quote Post
Guest_MK Ultra_*
post Aug 21 2006, 10:12 PM
Post #9

Guests

@ knasser & Dr. Dodge

Hehe. I have an old adventures/new rules champain, too, that was stalled for some months now, due to lack of player interest, but the arrival of Street Magic has re-ignited player-interest again.

It will be some time, before I play Euphoria & UB with them, but next up is Bottled Demon (the focus addiction will come in handy here), then Mercurial and than Ivy & Chrome.

I have the same problem with the UB, but I will probably use the 'New Wave' -some organization from the old Sprawl Sites encounters- as a front.

If you´re into bloodmagic, 'Ivy & Crome' is a very cool adventure dealing with the beginnings of Aztech bloodmagic.

+Quote Post
JongWK
post Aug 21 2006, 10:15 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,992

QUOTE (MK Ultra @ Aug 21 2006, 07:12 PM)
If you´re into bloodmagic, 'Ivy & Crome' is a very cool adventure dealing with the beginnings of Aztech bloodmagic.

Definitely.

I love when the players find out about "Charlotte." Mine started humming the A-Team's theme. :rotfl:

+Quote Post
Guest_MK Ultra_*
post Aug 21 2006, 10:24 PM
Post #11

Guests

:grinbig:

+Quote Post
Dogsoup
post Aug 21 2006, 10:26 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 806

QUOTE (Dr. Dodge)
QUOTE (knasser)

Hey me too. I definitely like how the various insect types were streamlined, while letting them keep a unique power. Some of my players know about the UB though, so now I just need to think up a fake name for that organization :)

I've been thinking of going this route; I planned of substituting UB with Mother of Metas or whatever that oraganization's name is. Noone'll suspect a rights-activist group with genuine reputation :evil:

+Quote Post
Dr. Dodge
post Aug 22 2006, 04:17 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

QUOTE (MK Ultra)
@ knasser & Dr. Dodge

Hehe. I have an old adventures/new rules champain, too, that was stalled for some months now, due to lack of player interest, but the arrival of Street Magic has re-ignited player-interest again.

It will be some time, before I play Euphoria & UB with them, but next up is Bottled Demon (the focus addiction will come in handy here), then Mercurial and than Ivy & Chrome.

I have the same problem with the UB, but I will probably use the 'New Wave' -some organization from the old Sprawl Sites encounters- as a front.

Hmm i'll have to look into New Wave (i know i got sprawl sites somewhere around here...)

I ran QE a long time ago with the same group (which I forgot, but luckily it got brought up recently) but i've always wanted to run all the other bug adventures (which i've managed to track down) so I'm looking forward to it. Another player around here wants to run a big city campaign (which i'm playing in), so i figure they'll never suspect me throwing bugs at them too :) bugs bugs bugs around here.

I was thinking of running DNA/DOA, i have only glanced at it though, i know Aztechs are involved, any blood magic?

+Quote Post
Dr. Dodge
post Aug 22 2006, 04:20 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE (Dogsoup)

I've been thinking of going this route; I planned of substituting UB with Mother of Metas or whatever that oraganization's name is. Noone'll suspect a rights-activist group with genuine reputation :evil:

Yeah i was thinking of something a little more obscure than MOM (though they would definitely never expect that) to me, they are just to involved in the main metaplot (or at least mentioned a lot over the years).

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Aug 22 2006, 05:24 AM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (Dr. Dodge)
Some of my players know about the UB though, so now I just need to think up a fake name for that organization :)

The Church of Scientology?

:D

QUOTE (Dr. Dodge)
I was thinking of running DNA/DOA, i have only glanced at it though, i know Aztechs are involved, any blood magic?
No Blood Magic that I remember, just a late 80s D&D dungeon crawl, dressed up with "Genetic Engineering" as an explanation for the monsters that the players encounter in the dungeon research sub-levels.

To be fair, it was the very first SR adventure released. The only reference to the setting that the author had to work with was the original core rulebook, and maybe the original Secrets of Power novels (can't remember if that trilogy came out before or after DNA/DOA). Without a context to set it in, it's no wonder why it reads like it does.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Aug 22 2006, 07:14 AM
Post #16

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (Dr. Dodge)
Some of my players know about the UB though, so now I just need to think up a fake name for that organization :)

The Church of Scientology?

:D

Perfect - thank you. The Scientologists it is. What could be more scary than an insect version of Tom Cruise or a Beetle John Travolta?

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Aug 22 2006, 07:28 AM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (knasser)
Perfect - thank you. The Scientologists it is. What could be more scary than an insect version of Tom Cruise or a Beetle John Travolta?

Well, to be honest, I've always thought that the UB was merely a thinly disguised representation of Scientology to start with. I think it has to do with that one billboard up in the corner of the cover art on original Universal Brotherhood module. How many recently-founded, unleash-your-inner-potential religious movements use erupting volcano imagery in their advertising, after all?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:43 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.