Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Perception vs. Searching, Houserule I'm considering
stevebugge
post Aug 22 2006, 10:13 PM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,996

First thing to preface this with is that I am considering this to rebalance perception when using the Max Hits is limited to 2 x Skill optional rule. Using that rule would make it impossible for the average Joe to do things like find his car keys if they dropped them under the table using a standard perception test.

What I proposing to do is create a search test, a Logic + Intuition extended test with a reasonable interval set by the GM based on what is being searched for and how large an area is being searched.

So for the Car Key example Joe Sixpack would role Logic + Intuition Extended test (I'd give him a 1 second interval because he's trying to find his keys under his coffee table, small area and a fairly good sized object he's familiar with) to locate them. Granted in this case I don't think I'd actually roll it because it's a waste of time and not relevant to the story (good place for the 4 dice = one hit rule).

Basically the premise I'm working off of is that perception tests can occur with a simple action, it's a threshold test to spot or notice something at a glance or with a very cursory search. This is an idea I had for a test in which more time is available to characters to actively search something out, basically an extended perception check.

What I'm still working with is where to set the thresholds and intervals, and what to use for modifiers (besides the existing perception modifiers).

Discuss, Critique, Expand.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Aug 22 2006, 10:21 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

Why not just use a standard extended perception test?

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Aug 22 2006, 10:25 PM
Post #3

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (stevebugge)
What I proposing to do is create a search test, a Logic + Intuition extended test with a reasonable interval set by the GM based on what is being searched for and how large an area is being searched.

Sounds very interesting - how about the Data Search Table for reference?

Though I would still use Perception Tests with usual the 'dice pool rolls limit' suggestion.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Aug 22 2006, 10:26 PM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (James McMurray)
Why not just use a standard extended perception test?

I'm considering that too, It's actually where I'm leaning because it's a bit easier to implement.

I also considered creating a "Search" Active skill but decided that really was a bad idea. I went with Logic + Intuition because I felt that proper organization (where logic comes in) increases the chances of finding something and Intuition still applies for infering where to start. My understanding of Perception is that it is a skill that reflects training in recognition and identification of things only sensed for a short period.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Aug 22 2006, 10:27 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Aug 22 2006, 02:25 PM)
QUOTE (stevebugge @ Aug 23 2006, 12:13 AM)

Sounds very interesting - how about the Data Search Table for reference?

Though I would still use Perception Tests with usual the 'dice pool rolls limit' suggestion.

That was my initial idea as well. See the above post for the reasons I am considering an alternative.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Aug 22 2006, 10:55 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Using the Data Search Table is a great idea. The basic Threshholds are fine as is

2 = Easy
4 = Average
8 = Hard
16 = Extreme

The Intervals & areas covered I think I need to work on:
the first difficulty I'm having is should it be based on set sizes or a ratio of size of object to size of searched area?

For example finding a contact lense on your bedroom floor is difficult, finding your pants on your bedroom floor is much easier, but finding the same pair of pants when you had to search an entire apartment complex would be much harder.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Aug 22 2006, 10:59 PM
Post #7

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

Then, it's oviously the size-room-ratio. ;)

+Quote Post
Cabral
post Aug 22 2006, 10:59 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,646

Why not use Logic+Perception for systematic sweeps, and Intuition+Perception for "just looking"?

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Aug 22 2006, 11:20 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 8,856

Well I think your premise may be a little flawed. The average Joe would find it impossible to find his car keys using a perception test, but that's assuming he's standing in the middle of the room looking for it by sight alone (Can he spot it from where he's standing.) Once he starts getting on his knees looking under stuff, moving chair cushions that once super hard task (spotting a key fob among a knee high pile of stuffer wrappers) becomes a less difficult task, and you drop the target number.

Similarly SuperStealthySteve™ is standing behind a shrub alongside a wall hiding from two guards standing by the door. He’s super stealthy (hence the name) so they need 16 successes on a perception test to see him. However guard 3 needs to take a leak, but he knows that swiping his card and going inside will make a datatrail and show him leaving his post, so he decides to use SuperStealthySteve™’s bush. His target number drops, even though he wasn’t actively searching, now something significant has changed and he gets another free perception check without the –2 dice penalty.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Aug 23 2006, 12:13 AM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

I wouldn't require a roll at all if the keys are under the table and the guy specifically looks under the table. Likewise I wouldn't require a roll if the tripwire is strung across the base of the door at ankle level and the burglar specifies he's checking the base of the door (unless it's ruthenium wire of course).

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Aug 23 2006, 01:31 AM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Demerzel)
Well I think your premise may be a little flawed. The average Joe would find it impossible to find his car keys using a perception test, but that's assuming he's standing in the middle of the room looking for it by sight alone (Can he spot it from where he's standing.) Once he starts getting on his knees looking under stuff, moving chair cushions that once super hard task (spotting a key fob among a knee high pile of stuffer wrappers) becomes a less difficult task, and you drop the target number.

Similarly SuperStealthySteve™ is standing behind a shrub alongside a wall hiding from two guards standing by the door. He’s super stealthy (hence the name) so they need 16 successes on a perception test to see him. However guard 3 needs to take a leak, but he knows that swiping his card and going inside will make a datatrail and show him leaving his post, so he decides to use SuperStealthySteve™’s bush. His target number drops, even though he wasn’t actively searching, now something significant has changed and he gets another free perception check without the –2 dice penalty.

Well there is one other piece to this, using the Max Hits = Skill x 2 rule, defaulting limits you to only a single success, meaning Joe Sixpack is not capable of finding his keys under the table at all using a normal success test. It was from this point that I started with the Search vs. Glance idea (which is basically what Cabral was pointing at) where Perception is used for noticing something at a glance but either an extended perception test or the proposed search test would be used for a prolonged search.

I personally like James idea of just not rolling very many tests (no I won't make you roll an extended search to find your pants in the morning in my game) because I'm of the belief that superfluous dice rolling is a waste of time.

The example of Triple S hiding behind the bush is a good example of the use of Perception, however the Prolonged Search might be more useful when the guards become aware something is up and start a systemic search of the facility.

+Quote Post
WhiskeyMac
post Aug 23 2006, 07:03 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,789

I just threw out the Perception skill altogether. Instead I just use the average of Intuition and Logic, similar to Intelligence rolled for Perception Tests in SR3. A Perception skill just sounded to hokey when in the description of the 2 stats (Intuition and Logic) it sort of says you can process details and clues the higher the stat. That's just my houserule though. If you keep the Perception skill then your idea seems pretty cool.

Usually with Searching tests I just do a "Take 20" and have them find it after a little while. Unless time is of the essence, then they have to roll on it, they will find it eventually. They can roll to reduce time but usually it just takes them an average time based on size to search area ratio. Finding said key fob in a living room would take 2-10 minutes based on how they search (cursorary glancing vs. down on hands and knees moving everything). But finding a small child in a large snuff factory would take a longer amount of time (30 minutes to a few hours), also based off search style.

+Quote Post
Cabral
post Aug 23 2006, 07:11 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,646

If you're using the average of Intuition and logic, then you're using a very small pool for perception tests. The RAW base dice pool is Intuition+Perception.

+Quote Post
WhiskeyMac
post Aug 23 2006, 07:22 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,789

I'm sorry I meant the combined value of Intuition and Logic. So max pool, I think, could be 12, or would it be 11? Not to shabby for a Perception test.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:26 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.