IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Looking for info on explosives . . ., . . . yet afraid of being flagged.
Union Jane
post Aug 23 2006, 01:56 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,957

I realise that I may be acting silly, but I find myself afraid of running an internet search on explosives. I'd like to do some research for high-end explosives for use in my SR campaign, but I don't want Big Brother flagging my query. How do I find details on industrial-grade boom-booms? Is there something called Semtex (sp?)?.

Cheers,

UJ
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Critias
post Aug 23 2006, 02:01 PM
Post #2

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

Semtex is basically a lower-grade C4 type of gig -- made famous by terrorists around the globe.

Just wiki your way around, if you're really afraid of Google in this case. There's a "category: explosives" link right there at the bottom of that wikipedia page. Have fun.

+Quote Post
LilithTaveril
post Aug 23 2006, 02:02 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,533

Well, if you don't want to get flagged, it's a little late now. By posting this topic (specifically the worry about the BBEG flagging you), your IP is probably going to be flagged and they'll likely spend the next two or three years reading every single thing you do online. Be looking for unmarked black vans for awhile, and try to look for repeats of license plates.

Now that I'm done scaring you to the point you probably need to change your underwear, just do a Yahoo search on it. Every day, tons of people search for nuclear bombs, assault rifles, etc. Some random person searching for a bit of information on explosives isn't their worry. Now, if you also visit Greenpeace websites, then you might have a reason to be paranoid.

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Aug 23 2006, 02:06 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

Too late, I think. The NSA monitors DS as well ;).

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Aug 23 2006, 02:09 PM
Post #5

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

LOL. Just...amazing.

+Quote Post
Oracle
post Aug 23 2006, 02:14 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

From: Earth - Europe - AGS - Norddeutscher Bund - Hannover
Member No.: 7,624

My bet would be that emo samurai is working for NSA. The perfect cover. ^^

+Quote Post
HullBreach
post Aug 23 2006, 02:17 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,055

There are lots of neat industrial use (mining mostly) explosives out there too. These frequently come in gel and even rope forms. Detcord in particular is some nifty stuff.

Also, research shaped charges and tamping, as these can take a little bit of HE and make it do a whole mess of damage.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Aug 23 2006, 02:23 PM
Post #8

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Really, between the discussions of cyber-ararchism, militant Native American Uprisings, the partitioning of the United States, the assasination of a future President, religious extremeism, explosives, weapons, crime, the breakup of China, nuking Chicago, resurgant Japanese imperialism, and magic (especially magic) there must be dozens of intelligence agencies monitering dumpshock.

Edit: Anarchist Cookbook free download link removed due to it being an utterly worthless scam.

Edit2: Found a text version of both The Anarchist Cookbook and The Terrorist Handbook. I would take anything in these publications with a grain of salt. They were probably written by bored teenagers.

+Quote Post
Firewall
post Aug 23 2006, 02:31 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,125

QUOTE (Butterblume)
Too late, I think. The NSA monitors DS as well ;).

A community whose conversations tend toward surveillance, counter-surveillance, espionage, demolitions, weapons, hacking, eco-terrorism and assassinations...

No, we wouldn't fit their profiles...

To be fair, I would lay good money that someone from at least one security agency is a regular on these boards but that they don't consider us a threat, just a source of information for those who do fit their profile.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Aug 23 2006, 02:34 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

QUOTE (Firewall)
A community whose conversations tend toward surveillance, counter-surveillance, espionage, demolitions, weapons, hacking, eco-terrorism and assassinations...

You forgot "which bumper stickers are best for a psychotic mass murderer looking for a reason to shoot someone?"

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Aug 23 2006, 02:36 PM
Post #11

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Miniluv is watching as we speak.

~J

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Aug 23 2006, 02:47 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

Ditto whoever suggested Wiki -- it includes densities, burn speeds, TNT equivalents, etc. for most of the common explosives and explosive chemicals. Then just Google to double-check the facts and/or to get specifics missing from the Wiki articles. If your government cares about your RPG habits, you're living in the wrong fucking country.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Aug 23 2006, 02:51 PM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

Since it hasn't been mentioned I'll toss out this link:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/

Has some pretty good stuff in it.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Aug 23 2006, 03:03 PM
Post #14

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

The Federation of American Scientists is also a prety good source of information on military munitions.

http://www.fas.org/main/home.jsp

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Aug 23 2006, 03:09 PM
Post #15

Great Dragon

The content is probably the same on FAS.Org and GlobalSecurity.Org, but here's the pertinent bit on the latter site.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Aug 23 2006, 03:24 PM
Post #16

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

There's no absolute guarentee that you wont be put on a watchlist. There's no absolute guarentee that you aren't already. But fear of being caught is the biggest weapon of authority.

But The CIA, NSA, MI5 et al. are tiny little groups that struggle through a great tide of humanity and its noise. The worry about being picked on is a far greater tool for mass control than their actual ability to monitor and investigate. And the more people who can get themselves on the watch lists, the less meaning the watch lists have so do your bit against Big Brother and look up the information on explosives.

There's nothing wrong with acquiring knowledge and you shouldn't be bullied into ignorance. Knowledge for its own sake even is a laudable goal - it's what has brought us the technology we have today.

If you really want to do something about the monitoring though, try the following two technologies.
Firstly, TOR which is very easy to set up and can help safeguard your browsing (node providers also welcome, too).
Secondly, GPG which is also easy to set up and can encrypt your email.

Right now, emails are scanned en masse with automated systems, but the agencies have no legal right to do this, they've just brought it about through government pressure on private industry. Email encryption like GPG scuppers this. One person using it stands out. If you can get lots of people using it then the party is over and the governments have to return to seeking warrants and wire-tap permissions through the normal judicial channels on a case by case basis.

Now I entirely agree that we don't want "the terrorists to win." I may just have a slightly more inclusive definition of terrorist than the government would like. ;)

+Quote Post
Teux
post Aug 23 2006, 03:28 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 8,921

If you want to be a bit more secure in your browsing habits, you can always use an anonymous proxy to conceal your browsing habits.

Not a bad idea for anyone really, considering the pressure the US government is putting on corporations to hand over aggregate data so they can search for "terrorists"

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Aug 23 2006, 03:39 PM
Post #18

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

Pff, like its been said, you post here, someone somewhere knows your name. I swear we set their little warning lights off about every 3rd post.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Aug 23 2006, 04:32 PM
Post #19

Shadow Cartographer

QUOTE (Lindt @ Aug 23 2006, 10:39 AM)
Pff, like its been said, you post here, someone somewhere knows your name.  I swear we set their little warning lights off about every 3rd post.

And as I pointed out, one little light alone is a target. But if everyone of us is setting off lights, then any actual subversive is going to be just a tiny little glimmer in the glowing sea. Once you have a large number of people pissed offf, you're pretty much lost.

+Quote Post
JesterX
post Aug 23 2006, 04:32 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,390

I don't understand why there is a paranoia about explosives and there is none about firearms...

Explosives can be used for many useful things: construction, extinguish a fire and so on...

Firearms on the other hand only serve to kill peoples and animals...

I did some tests on explosives when I was younger, I've made very potent black powder, gun cotton, smokescreen pucks, I even tried Amonium Nitrate with Gasoline... all of this for one particular reason: curiosity. (And I do like pyrotechnics!)

I do have read both the anarchist cookbook and the terrorist handbook and as someone already mentionned it: It's done by bored kids... but some stuff works...

As long as you don't commit a crime, there is no reason that your gouvernement should be watching you... And if they do, you should NOT accept this.

If I ever hear that the governement is watching us, reading my personnal mail, looking what I'm doing and so on, you can be sure that they will think twice about doing so again... Just think about the social impact this will have in a supposed "FREE" country... Imagine the manifestations... Imagine the scandal that it can cause...

It will look more like facism/dictatorship than anything else...

Peoples should be aware of this.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Aug 23 2006, 04:37 PM
Post #21

Shadow Cartographer

QUOTE (JesterX)
I don't understand why there is a paranoia about explosives and there is none about firearms...

Explosives can be used for many useful things: construction, extinguish a fire and so on...

Firearms on the other hand only serve to kill peoples and animals...

I did some tests on explosives when I was younger, I've made very potent black powder, gun cotton, smokescreen pucks, I even tried Amonium Nitrate with Gasoline... all of this for one particular reason: curiosity. (And I do like pyrotechnics!)

I do have read both the anarchist cookbook and the terrorist handbook and as someone already mentionned it: It's done by bored kids... but some stuff works...

As long as you don't commit a crime, there is no reason that your gouvernement should be watching you... And if they do, you should NOT accept this.

If I ever hear that the governement is watching us, reading my personnal mail, looking what I'm doing and so on, you can be sure that they will think twice about doing so again... Just think about the social impact this will have in a supposed "FREE" country... Imagine the manifestations... Imagine the scandal that it can cause...

It will look more like facism/dictatorship than anything else...

Peoples should be aware of this.

If it's not too much identifying information to share, where do you live? I ask because if you're in the USA or the UK, then your government is probably spying on you and scanning your email routinely.

Actually, your government wont as there are internal laws against this. What happens between the UK and the USA is a reciprocal arrangement that they should spy on each other's citizens. And then the information just happens to be shared.

If you are genuinely angry about this, then you will do something about it such as begin using encrypted email or run a TOR node, as linked above. Either is a valid and legal action you can take which will have an effect.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Aug 23 2006, 04:40 PM
Post #22

Great Dragon

You'll make them "think twice?" How? Going to go terrorist on them? That'll only make them step up surveillance. Gonna sue? Being done and been done already and nothing has stopped.

Whatever it is you believe you can do to make them think twice you may as well do it, as they're already scanning your emails and monitoring your searching habits.

I personally am all for the idea. If them scanning emails and search habits can stop the next 9/11 then by all means go ahead. Note, by "scanning" I mean just that. They look for specific words and trends. Nobody is sitting at a desk reading your emails to your grandma unless you or her have shown a marked need for deeper surveillance.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Aug 23 2006, 04:45 PM
Post #23

Great Dragon

Kidnap bomb flight passenger aircraft liquid explosive hidden knife murder assassinate president congress death to america slaughter innocents smuggle biological chemical weapon.

I'm also all for your governments spying on you people. You seem very dangerous. Good thing there's fuck-all they can do about me, except ask me if I was a nazi or have the avian flu when I enter the US.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Aug 23 2006, 04:47 PM
Post #24

Great Dragon

LOL

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Aug 23 2006, 05:04 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

NSA has been monitoring phones and emails of non-US citizens for years, even before 2001 (Echolon, for example). Not only a few, but systematically, meaning all they could.

Since 2001 they also monitored US citizens, it must have been in the US news somewhere.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:31 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.