IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can spirits appear inside a warded area?
Findar
post Sep 4 2006, 07:57 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,056

Can a spirit appear inside a warded area from a metaplane? I saw this talked about as a way to get your allied spirit through wards. If spirits can appear inside a warded area from a metaplane then how do you keep spirits out?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Witness
post Sep 4 2006, 08:18 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,319

I'd guess you've just answered your own question. If it breaks the game, then... no!

+Quote Post
Dog
post Sep 4 2006, 08:38 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,025

If it helps, a guy conjured a spirit inside a warded area in canon fiction. I guess that's not exactly what you mean.

If I was GMing, I'd likely say no.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Sep 4 2006, 08:41 PM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

If they are being conjured within the ward, yes. But they can't use their metaplanar shortcut ability to hop behind a ward.

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Sep 4 2006, 09:18 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 2,316

Whats the difference between conjuring and calling a spirit? The only thing I see different is that when conjuring you are sending out a broadcast sort of like crickets chirping luring a spirit (or other crickets) to you. Calling a spirit you already know is only easier because its like you have their phone number now.

That is unless because of this canon example it answers one of the debates magic users have had in SR canon since the awakening, that spirits are really only extentions of the casters will. I mean if hes calling a spirit from another plan with conjuring in a ward then why should calling a spirit you already have services from be any different? Unless the mage is just making the spirit out of whole cloth on the spot and only through his training has the limitation that spirits come from another planes thus he cant possibly get it through a ward.

EDIT: And if this example was in a novel I would personally disregerd it. I hear there ar a lot of things in the novels that dont exactlly fit into the game world.

And conjuring circles and lodges are different, yes they are wards, but ones the conjurer controls so he can let anythignhe wants in and out of his ward.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Sep 4 2006, 09:41 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

QUOTE (Street Magic @ p. 94)
Spirits that find their physical or astral movement impeded by a dual-natured mana barrier may take a quick trip to the metaplanes and back again to the other side of the barrier. This "shortcut" may only be taken if the spirit's conjurer is on the other side of the barrier (taking up one service) or if the spirit has been to the location on the other side before (a reason to never allow a spirit into your private sanctuary).

So yeah, you can call a spirit into a ward, assuming you are yourself inside the ward already or the spirit has been to the area inside the ward before.

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Sep 4 2006, 09:42 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Thats SR4 we are in the SR3 section.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Sep 4 2006, 10:36 PM
Post #8

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

It is the same in SR3. Spirits can take a metaplaner shortcut to instantly travel to their conjurer no matter where he is. Free spirits can take te shortcut to travel anywhere in the world instantly, so long as they are familier with the location.

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Sep 4 2006, 10:48 PM
Post #9

Running Target

I know, I just felt like being facetious.

+Quote Post
Findar
post Sep 4 2006, 11:31 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 8,056

Wow. So nothing can keep a free spirit out. At least conjured spirits can only pop in on you if their conjurer is within your ward.

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Sep 4 2006, 11:39 PM
Post #11

Running Target

And if the Free spirit has been in there before I believe the rules state. I dont think Free Spirits can just pop into a warded area unless hes been there before.

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Sep 5 2006, 01:15 AM
Post #12

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)

Being equally silly for a moment I'd like to point out that this isn't actually the SR3 section, its the Shadowrun General area. :P

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Sep 5 2006, 01:24 AM
Post #13

Running Target

QUOTE (Ravor @ Sep 4 2006, 08:15 PM)
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)

Being equally silly for a moment I'd like to point out that this isn't actually the SR3 section, its the Shadowrun General area. :P

And waiting for that retort, then why have a section specifically set aside for SR4? Sure this isnt named SR3 because we also discuss SR 1 and 2. And sometimes Earthdawn.

If SR4 got a forum because it was the latest release, why isnt it at the bottom of the forum front page like the other releases? How come the other SR4 books didnt get a forum of their own like the older books?

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Sep 5 2006, 01:36 AM
Post #14

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Short Answer; to appease as many people as possible...

However, I'd like to ask that if this forum was truly meant only for the older editions as you seem to be suggesting, then why isn't it labeled as thus?

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Sep 5 2006, 01:51 AM
Post #15

Running Target

Lack of effort on the side of the admins?

There use to be a day when if I walked into the forums and said SR Fucking sucks I would be warned, not because my stance on SR but because the way I said it, then if I came back and said the admin are retarded douche bags or something else along the lines of curseing and being a genral pain in the ass to the rest of the populace of DS you would get a 30 day ban. If you come back after that to continue your antics you would get perma banned. Yet I see ass loads of profanity and general lack of control going unpunished everyday here. Including the completely off topic post of Steve Irwin in the general gameing section.

I mean there are a few people here that have the reputation of being trouble makers and a few people have called the admins out on it. A few years ago they would have been perma banned long before that reputation was cemented.

LOL There use to be a Lounge here. That was till the admins decided it was no longer worth having and took too much time to moderate. Now it seems they dont even moderate here. That is unless someone really steps out of line, even rarely then.

And who does it appease if the people posting in the SR4 forum will come here to post SR4 stuff? It just muddles the waters. If there needs to be a clear line between editions shouldnt the other side stay there with there rules? I dont see people starting SR3 (or earlier) topics in the SR4 forum. A SR4 person coming here to ask a rules question is just going to get confusing and more then likely misinformed answers. Because personally I dont play SR4 and if I see a topic in this forum about the rules, Ill answer according to SR3 canon.

+Quote Post
RainOfSteel
post Sep 5 2006, 02:01 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,725

QUOTE (Findar)
Wow. So nothing can keep a free spirit out. At least conjured spirits can only pop in on you if their conjurer is within your ward.

Well, the Free Spirit must engage the ward in astral combat before entering, thus alerting the ward's owner.

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Sep 5 2006, 02:39 AM
Post #17

Cybernetic Blood Mage

*Chuckles* And I remember when someone was suspended for a week for making an extremely snarky remark about someone's usage of 'leet-speak' in a post. (Comes to find out that English was his second langauge and he learnt it from playing Quake online.) In my opinion they were far too heavy handed back then, but then again I also received a warning in that thread so I might be slightly bias...

However, apparently we disagree on the amount of effort it'd take to add a label under the Forum name stating '4th Edition need not apply.', because I believe that although the 4th Edition forum was set up to direct most of the 4th traffic away from the older versions, it wasn't ever meant to be the hard barrier you seem to be wanting...

Of course, I've been mistaken before....

:smokin:

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Sep 5 2006, 02:56 AM
Post #18

Running Target

I dont have a prefference, I was just messing with Deamonseed. But Ill continue to think SR3 when I see something asked in this forum, and SR 4 in the other forum.

And who knows who's driving this boat around anymore. A lot of the old admins have moved on and the ones that do post in the rare occasion are also freelencers and/or have professional jobs. So I doubt their first priority any more is wether all the kids are playing nice let alone staying in their own play pen.

EDIT: And its heavy handed to punish someone for being rude to another person in a public setting? For nothing more then bad english? They didnt like fowl language on the forums before because they didnt want to deal with irrate parents if their children came here and seen all the profanity. I guess that means they dont care about the children anymore. :)

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Sep 5 2006, 03:09 AM
Post #19

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

The regulars who have been around for years are far less likely to be slapped simply because they have more clout, they're usually friendly with the admins, mods, and the other old timers, and they're the guys who really keep the forum alive.
This is true in practically any system.

And this is completely off topic.

A free spirit has to know an area in order to ue a metaplanar shortcut to get there. In the most basic sense, they must have been there before. However, I'd rule that drastic (drastic as in tearing your house down and building a new one) remodeling can interfere with this power.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Sep 5 2006, 03:17 AM
Post #20

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

To get back on topic, if the summoner, using conjuring is already inside the ward, then the psirit can come to him there, BUT if the summoner is outside the ward then he cannot send the spirit inside the ward- UNLESS he has the psirit attack the ward to break in.

Think of wards as a wall for spirits/astral beings. Someone inside the wall can open the gate for you. If no one is already inside, sure you can break in, but someone's going to notice, and respond, just like a corp sec team will notice when you cut the feed from their fence sensors.

+Quote Post
Dog
post Sep 5 2006, 05:23 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,025

QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)

EDIT: And if this example was in a novel I would personally disregerd it. I hear there ar a lot of things in the novels that dont exactlly fit into the game world.

It's part of the fiction in Dunkelzahn's secrets. Guy hides inside a ward because he thinks spirits are attacking him, then inadvertently conjures a spirit once inside the ward. Now that you mention it though, there's some wonky non-canon rules stuff in it --like a mage spontaneously conjuring a spirit-- that's justified by some magical artifact, so who knows....

+Quote Post
Ivanhoe
post Sep 5 2006, 12:32 PM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 6,394

How I would explain that to a scientific-oriented nit-picking player :
A ward is a kind of permanent mana barrier. You can make those like a wall (block objects on one axis), like a stockade (block objects on two axis) or like a closed box (block objects on three axis). However, astral space and metaplanes bring a fourth axis into play. A mage is free to left this axis open or to block it.

He can block it at several levels : "outer" astral plane : a portion of the astral plane is blocked inside, spirits can exist there if they were there when the ward was created. If already conjured spirits are part of a magician's mind in your cosmology, then he can call it back when he is inside.

"inner" astral plane : the space inside the box has no astral space in it. Therefore, magic doesn't work there anymore, spirits can't exist, and it is possibly a local mana warp. It is up to you to authorize such a thing in your campaign.

it could also be left open in the "meta-direction". Just as a cylindrical barrier isn't really infinite in the zenithal direction, I would rule that in that case spirits can use a "metaplane shortcut" to be invoked here. Free spirits may have difficulties to use it though.

Hmmm... I think I'll bring more confusion while trying to help, well, it's part of the fun ;)

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Sep 5 2006, 12:40 PM
Post #23

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

QUOTE (Ivanhoe)

Step one would be to tell him to leave his science at the door. They call it "magic" instead of "applied physics" for a reason.

+Quote Post
Ivanhoe
post Sep 5 2006, 01:12 PM
Post #24

Target

Member No.: 6,394

QUOTE (James McMurray)
QUOTE (Ivanhoe @ Sep 5 2006, 07:32 AM)

Step one would be to tell him to leave his science at the door. They call it "magic" instead of "applied physics" for a reason.

And they call it "thaumaturgy" or "hermetical magic" instead of just "witchcraft" for a reason, MIT is now MIT&M or MIT&T depending on your universe version number. In SR, it is studied like a science, packaged like a software, sold like a service.

I tend to consider hermetic mages like ego-centered big-brain scientists. Or surgeons, as they have knowledge and know-how.

What I suggest to leave at the door is the nit-picking, not the science. Well, I just nit-picked didn't I ? :wobble:

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Sep 5 2006, 02:27 PM
Post #25

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

Just because it is studied like a science in the game doesn't mean the player across the table from you can understand the underlying principals of this fictional science.

If he's so insistent on requiring a scientific explanation for the rules, tell him the rule, have him develop a plausible in game explanation for it, then have that explanation unveiled at the next big Hermetics convention. :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:48 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.