Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spirits vs. Normal Weapons, Not-so-Immunity
GrinderTheTroll
post Sep 5 2006, 05:18 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,465

It's always been expressed that Spirits are creatures of shadow and quicksilver, blah blah, and that anyone brash enough to face one is truely couragous, blah blah blah. So my disappointment is that all the fluff aside, Immunity to Normal Weapons isn't very effective for Spirits < Rating 5 or so.

With the power granting (Force/Essence/Magic)x2 Armor (sorry I can't recall which but they are all the same for Spirits) that gives a Force-4 8/8 armor which isn't much better than an Armor Jacket. Considering Attributes into the mix, they are usually a watered down samurai.

Now I understand that if I wanted a beefcake Spirit, I'd need a Rating-5+ but with all the whoo-ha over Immunity, lower Rating Spirits are not much more than target dummies.

And the whole "Force of Personality" angle makes little sence unless you've got no combat skills which applies more likely to Hackers and Mages (and of the latter) get to add Banishing dice and probably have a 3+ Charisma to boot.

Fluff aside, the Crunch here has me boggling a little about how Immune-to-Normal-Weapons Spirits really are at Force <5.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nim
post Sep 5 2006, 05:33 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,681

It's a little better than an armored jacket; if memory serves, it's hardened armor. And that's also before applying any defensive spirit powers. Still, it's a valid point.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Sep 5 2006, 05:53 PM
Post #3

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
With the power granting (Force/Essence/Magic)x2 Armor (sorry I can't recall which but they are all the same for Spirits) that gives a Force-4 8/8 armor which isn't much better than an Armor Jacket. Considering Attributes into the mix, they are usually a watered down samurai.

I wonder how many street samurai can be conjured in an hour.

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Sep 5 2006, 06:01 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 8,856

Well, assume you have a 4p light pistol, you'd need 5 net hits to damage a force 4 spirit. If you have a 6p ares alpha combat gun you'd still need (ap -1) 2 net hits (burst modifiers don't apply to determine if you bypass armor.) Then that force 4 spirit still gets 12 dice to soak.

Okay, so that's just target practice.

Consider the engulf power. Use it once, and take a party member out of the fight. They are taking damage every time the spirit gets an action so twice per turn, and cannot take any action other than try to break free.

The closest I've ever come to killing my players occured when the Bear Shaman tried to call a force 5 earth spirit, critically glitched the drain resistance roll and I ruled that he as KOed and the spirit goes on a rampage. He had 2 street sam types watching over him with combat axes and they both got engulfed and made insignificant as they were unable to break out of a force 5 engulf. The combat mage heard the scream and came in astrally on his initiative pass and dispatched the spirit, but bearly in time as 4 of the PCs were engulfed and nearly dead. The Shaman has 1 physical box left, the two sams were both severly damaged, and the drone rigger was in overflow.

It's all about circumstance. If you stand and let me shoot at you I'll win. If as a GM you say, "There is a spirit materialized and rushing towards you across this large open space. Roll your firearms." Then the spirit is going to have troubble. but if you GM the spirit as a clever adversary, aware of his abilities and limitations. And the summoner likewise, then even moderate force spirits can pose problems.

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Sep 5 2006, 06:03 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 9,313

Yes the immunity to normal weapons applies to all weapons that are not magical in nature including adept powers. Armor rating is equal to twice its rating and counted as "hardened". (If DV does not exceed spirits armor rating equal to double its Magic attribute , attack automaticaly does no damage)

+Quote Post
Slithery D
post Sep 5 2006, 06:10 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,059

Yes, it's hardened. Using an Ares Predator against a Force 4 fire spirit you need to score a modified DV of 8 (beating armor 8 - 1 AP) from your base DV of 5. Can you get three net hits against the spirit's Reaction of 7? Sometimes. The rest of the time it takes zero damage. Bigger weapons and better ammo will make it easier, but Force 5 spirits, easy right out of character creation, will take away some of that advantage, and Force 6 will be typical for prorunners who've earned a decent amount of karma.

I rather like it. At higher force levels you either can't hurt them at all or you take them out with one or two golden bullets. Magic, dude, it's so far out.

+Quote Post
Slithery D
post Sep 5 2006, 06:16 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,059

QUOTE (Demerzel)
The closest I've ever come to killing my players occured when the Bear Shaman tried to call a force 5 earth spirit...

And earth spirits are the second weakest offensive spirit of the stock six. Add in some energy aura for real fun.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Sep 5 2006, 06:53 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Prime Mover)
Yes the immunity to normal weapons applies to all weapons that are not magical in nature including adept powers. Armor rating is equal to twice its rating and counted as "hardened". (If DV does not exceed spirits armor rating equal to double its Magic attribute , attack automaticaly does no damage)

I didn't see any comments to it be hardend in SR.core.

I know that existed in prior versions, but does it exist in Street Magic?

+Quote Post
thephoenix
post Sep 5 2006, 07:03 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 9,243

Since this is a game, you need some way for non-magical players to be able to damage spirits. The rules at least give them a chance to inflict damage on the spirit. In game terms, any shadowrun team should only have one to two magic users at most, if any, they are suppose to be rare. Granted this isn't always the case. If they were totally immune to weapons without a way to get around it, you would present the problem that no player would go on runs that might involve a magical user. It would simply be to dangerous and would force the player to rely on the magic user of the group who would then have to focus his attention on another magical user and a spirit at the same time.

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Sep 5 2006, 07:07 PM
Post #10

Running Target

QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)

It's in the description of Immunity to normal weapons. I don't think that it uses the term hardened armor, but I believe it states that if the power of the attack fails to exceed the armor rating it does no damage. I'll check the specific quote for ya later if you need. The key is it still just whiffs if it's not enough power (modified by hits but not by bursts has been my interpretation).

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Sep 5 2006, 07:24 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Demerzel)
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Sep 5 2006, 01:53 PM)

It's in the description of Immunity to normal weapons. I don't think that it uses the term hardened armor, but I believe it states that if the power of the attack fails to exceed the armor rating it does no damage. I'll check the specific quote for ya later if you need. The key is it still just whiffs if it's not enough power (modified by hits but not by bursts has been my interpretation).

Thanks, I'll re-read that part.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Sep 5 2006, 07:37 PM
Post #12

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

QUOTE (Demerzel)
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Sep 5 2006, 01:53 PM)

Yah, does too use the term "hardened".

QUOTE (SR4 @ pg. 288)

A critter with Immunity has an enhanced resistance to a
certain type of attack or affliction. The critter gains an “Armor
rating” equal to twice its Magic against that damage. This
Immunity Armor is treated as “hardened” protection (see
Hardened Armor above), meaning that if the Damage Value
does not exceed the Armor, then the attack automatically
does no damage.

I think the spirit's immunity is balanced. Any higher, then it become unsurmountable by anything other than a magician. As it is, it's still pretty impressive. A Force 2 Earth Elemental - almost nothing - still manages an impressive 10 dice to soak, with 4 armour being hardened (equivalent to a light pistol). Take it to a Force 4 version and we're now up to 16 dice with 8 armour being hardened. So it shrugs off most small arms fire. Seems pretty cinematic to me.

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Sep 5 2006, 07:39 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Yup. I think in my mind I just substituted the Hardened Armor text in to the immunity text since they are so close.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Sep 5 2006, 08:06 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Thanks for clarifying that. I read a bit too hastily.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:08 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.