IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best magic skill?
What's the best magic skill?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 110
Guests cannot vote 
emo samurai
post Sep 5 2006, 07:34 PM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,019

For a while, I would have thought that Spellcasting won, hands down, with Summoning a distant second. Then Street magic came out with invoking and the binding of free spirits, and I became conflicted. I will not vote in this poll.

What do you think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Sep 5 2006, 07:43 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Run out of room for Astral Combat, eh?

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Sep 5 2006, 08:00 PM
Post #3

Dragon

Forgot it because it SUCKS. :D

And why do you like it, anyway? You seem authoritative enough to convince me...

+Quote Post
Samaels Ghost
post Sep 5 2006, 08:16 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,717

Participating in Astral Combat is not hindered by Backgroud count. When the count is high, stop casting weak spells and roll up your astral sleaves. It does have it's uses.

I said Ritual Spellcasting, though. SO POWERFUL!

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Sep 5 2006, 08:21 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Actually, I voted for enchanting, for obvious reasons.

+Quote Post
Slithery D
post Sep 5 2006, 08:44 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,059

QUOTE (Ancient History)
Actually, I voted for enchanting, for obvious reasons.

You've played too much Morrowind?

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Sep 5 2006, 08:57 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 8,856

Bah, morrowind was all about alchemy.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Sep 5 2006, 08:57 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

No, can't say I've ever played that one at all.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Sep 5 2006, 09:08 PM
Post #9

Dragon

What... are the obvious reasons?

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Sep 5 2006, 09:11 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Probably because he wrote the section on Enchanting.

+Quote Post
krayola red
post Sep 5 2006, 09:29 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,097

I vote Spellcasting for one reason, and only one reason.

That reason's name is Orgasm.

+Quote Post
Exodus
post Sep 5 2006, 09:47 PM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 8,981

I have a hard time finding a reason why Ritual spellcasting is a great skill. Please give me some.

+Quote Post
Cabral
post Sep 5 2006, 10:00 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,646

Summoning. let your spirits handle the spellcasting :D

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Sep 5 2006, 10:13 PM
Post #14

Dragon

YOU'RE the one who decided orichalcum doesn't take away karma cost anymore? A pox upon thy fucking house! :grr:

+Quote Post
Slithery D
post Sep 5 2006, 10:17 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (Exodus)
I have a hard time finding a reason why Ritual spellcasting is a great skill. Please give me some.

Remote assassination (combat spells), intelligence gathering (mindprobe), run prep/utility (influence/control thoughts to force a target to turn off a security system, call in a false alarm, whatever).

With Sympathetic Linking in SM it becomes much, much more useful. You'll need to do legwork to get a ritual link, but the ability remotely manipulate people important to your run, who can't always been in a ward, can be very useful for clever players.

But the best skill? No.

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Sep 5 2006, 10:30 PM
Post #16

Running Target

QUOTE (emo samurai)
YOU'RE the one [ . . . ]

I'm guessing on that btw. I just thought that he was group freelancers, so it was a decent bet based on context.

And as to the Ritual thing:

Ever have a time you wish you had 40 dice for a spellcasting test? Could you have found a way to take [force] hours to cast it, and found a few friends?

The second I put my vote in I regretted not picking ritual. Espeically now that material links have been reintroduced. The core rulebook ommitted it and I thought that they just choose to strip what used to be a key point in SR fluff. But it's back and a good ritual group that can work together can name their price for a ton of things...

+Quote Post
fool
post Sep 5 2006, 10:41 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,316

spell casting cause there's so many times you don't have time to do ritual (combat)and there's so many things that spirits can't do (heal you fopr instance).
However, summoning is a close second if they did a decent job of fleshing out what constitutes a physical service (can air spirits now take the place of a levitate spell? can earth spirits dig massive holes down to that under ground bunker for you? etc etc.
Haven't gotten the new book so I can't speak to ritual realy except to say that it takes too long to be useful often (like when you have a run that has to be done that night.) in combat at all.
I'm surprised no one voted for binding over summoning since a bound spirit is way more useful than a summoned one.
My real runner up though would defintely be counter spelling. Especially need to add some counterspelling foci and sheilding so that you might have a chance of blocking an incoming spell.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Sep 5 2006, 11:43 PM
Post #18

Great Dragon

QUOTE (emo samurai)
YOU'RE the one who decided orichalcum doesn't take away karma cost anymore? A pox upon thy fucking house! :grr:

There are decisions I made as the writer of the enchanting rules, and there were descisions others made I had to work in. That's not to say maybe I didn't eliminate the less-Karma-per-unit-of-orichalcum rule, but don't make too many assumptions. 'sides, I warded my house. Your poxy little pox can't do /squat/.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Sep 6 2006, 12:09 AM
Post #19

Runner

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (emo samurai)

:please:

+Quote Post
Slithery D
post Sep 6 2006, 12:40 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

QUOTE (Demerzel)

And as to the Ritual thing:

Ever have a time you wish you had 40 dice for a spellcasting test? Could you have found a way to take [force] hours to cast it, and found a few friends?

This was good in SR3, but isn't possible in SR4. With teamwork rules, your added dice from people aiding you in the ritual are cut by 2/3. And then you've got the force cap. The only groups ritual that can do in SR4 what a normal group could do in SR3 is 30 blood mages using Great Ritual to get enough dice and Sacrifice to handle the drain so they can put those successes to work. Good luck with that.

The only real use of group ritual spellcasting is maxing out your Force/successes (which won't be too high) with a few friends. The best use is just the ranged spellcasting part of it, at the cost of time and making a link somehow.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Sep 6 2006, 01:00 AM
Post #21

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

QUOTE (emo samurai)

That rule was broken beyond belief. Glad it's gone. :)

Voted Spellcasting, because there is no real contest. Summoning is great, no kidding, but nowhere near the power and utility (and cost in Karma (for the spells) :D) of Spellcasting!

Banishing is by far, far, far the worst of all the magical skills. It's so bad, it would still be bad even if you got it for free on the same level as your Summoning (or rather Binding, which would make a little more sense probably).

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Slithery D
post Sep 6 2006, 01:17 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

QUOTE (Thanee @ Sep 5 2006, 08:00 PM)
Banishing is by far, far, far the worst of all the magical skills. It's so bad, it would still be bad even if you got it for free on the same level as your Summoning (or rather Binding, which would make a little more sense probably).

Worse than Astral Combat? I don't know. And, uh, Banishing is a lower drain and faster way to get rid of a hostile spirit than a mana bolt against...a high force SM spirit that has Magical Guard? Yeah, that's the ticket.

Actually, Frank Trollman suggested a "fun" reason to have banishment - banish, control, and then bind spirits not of your tradition so you'll have access to unique spirit powers/services you wouldn't normally have. Efficient? No. But fun!

+Quote Post
krayola red
post Sep 6 2006, 01:22 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,097

What's wrong with astral combat? It helps keep people from beating the crap out of you kung fu style while you're out and about on the astral plane.

+Quote Post
Cabral
post Sep 6 2006, 01:30 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,646

QUOTE (Ancient History)
There are decisions I made as the writer of the enchanting rules, and there were descisions others made I had to work in.

Aside from brokedness versus unbrokedness, it seems that Enchanting is greatly diminished in SR4. How do you view the function and utility of Enchanting as a PC skill (as opposed to a background NPC task that will likely be handwaved as opposed to meticulously rolled out)

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Sep 6 2006, 02:40 AM
Post #25

Dragon

Heehee, permanent orgasm spell. o_o
QUOTE (Thanee)
That rule was broken beyond belief. Glad it's gone.:)

It's not broken if I like it. :grr:

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:08 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.