IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can you Initiative 'without' joining the club?, initiation groups and the technical info
Cold-Dragon
post Sep 6 2006, 05:03 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,780

So....it's cheaper to get a group of people together to initiate - is this because a magical group has extra resources, or purely the fact that everyone working together on it share the babysteps of initiative, saving everyone a little extra effort (aka karma) by doing so? Could you just find a few fellow mages that want to take the leap, make a circle in your warehouse, and do it there? Can you all get up and say farewells afterwards?

It's an interesting idea really, avoiding the magical groups to gain the benefits they provide in this step, and the risks it involves doing either - Suppose a teaching mage is going to initiate himself - would he take along a student for his first initiation too, so they can both benefit a little and the student gets the help of his master, but backs off while he does his own quest?

queries, answers, solutions, 'what the heck are you talking about!?' desired. :) Would you like to give them?

..and yeah, it's suppose to be initiate! :P damn fingers typing before my head things it...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Sep 6 2006, 06:15 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 2,316

In SR3 they had to pay or get an Avatar Spirit to help them with their initiations. So the saved karma was (you can assume) him helping them and showing them short cuts. Not the baby steps makign it easier. In fact initiating with a group was harder, because you had to find one, donate karma or if you made one you and your group had to find that avatar spirit. It took karma and time and energy, liek days of astrally projecting looking for an Avatar.

Getting up and leaving the group after you initiate meant you lost your ability to cheaply initiate later.

+Quote Post
Cold-Dragon
post Sep 6 2006, 06:19 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,780

...well I wanted to know about SR4 sotospeak, but sr3 info is important too, lol.

Alas, I also found the sr4 answer shortly afterwars: the initiation discount you get for a group comes from a group bond, which is part of how magical groups. Without that bond, you can't do the cheap initiation (though nothing stops you from doing it, then dispersing the bond at the cost of a karma point later, but at 1st and 2nd initiation that only adds up to so much).

So there is some potential options, but they're tricky. Ah well, at least answers were found!

+Quote Post
gunsnammo
post Sep 6 2006, 07:25 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 9,169

Everything you need to know is in "Street Magic". You spend 5 karma and make a Arcana+Logic test with a threshold of 1(+1 for every 5 members in the group). Yes you heard me right ARCANA! It is described as a "ritual" then why not ritual spellcasting? I don't even have the Arcana skill so I'm going to have to spend even more karma to get it so I can join the group I'm choosing. And if I fail the roll I still loose the 5 karma! :eek:

Every group has their own rules so unless you form your own group (which uses a different set of rules) you'll have to follow them so I doubt you can form up just to initiate and then leave.

If I may rant here for a second, I can't understand why they felt the need to add yet another skill to the long list of skills that magicians need (and have to spend lots and lots of karma for). There is already Astral combat, Banishing, Binding, Counterspelling, Ritual spellcasting, Spellcasting, Summoning, and my favorite Assensing (still don't understand why you need this skill when you already have the Perception skill, if you are perceptive in the physical world you are going to be perceptive in Astral). :end rant:

gunsnammo

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Sep 6 2006, 08:21 AM
Post #5

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

I do like the new skills... talismongering is a very cool flavor skill for magicians, even if the economist side of me would prefer buying anything needed - to time consuming.

If you don´t want arcana for anything but joining the group, consider that the membership fee is now at least 9 karma. How many times do you want to initiate?

I´ll still join a group for the social benefits (connections, gear, teachers), but if you just want to save karma like Cold-Dragon, the payoff is not good at all.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Sep 6 2006, 08:57 AM
Post #6

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

Wow, imagine that, something works in terms of tie-ins to the game, potential plot points, connections, and all sorts of other in-character stuff instead of just cold, hard, math efficiency. Heaven forbid.

+Quote Post
SCARed
post Sep 6 2006, 09:07 AM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 8,796

QUOTE (gunsnammo)
There is already Astral combat, Banishing, Binding, Counterspelling, Ritual spellcasting, Spellcasting, Summoning, and my favorite Assensing (still don't understand why you need this skill when you already have the Perception skill, if you are perceptive in the physical world you are going to be perceptive in Astral).

well, perception on the astral plane is not exactly the same as on the normal plane. plus there are no text signs on auras that give away the exact infos.
even if you have a very good perception for physical things, there is no actual need, that understanding what the aura tells you is just looking at it. you have to understand the way, auras contain information.

+Quote Post
Oracle
post Sep 6 2006, 09:52 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

From: Earth - Europe - AGS - Norddeutscher Bund - Hannover
Member No.: 7,624

QUOTE (gunsnammo @ Sep 6 2006, 09:25 AM)
[...]still don't understand why you need this skill when you already have the Perception skill, if you are perceptive in the physical world you are going to be perceptive in Astral).[...]

Because a high value in "Assensing" does not mean that you are very perceptive. It means, that you are skilled in the process of interpreting an aura.

EDIT: I am sorry. SCARed wrote the same thing. :(

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Sep 6 2006, 10:10 AM
Post #9

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

Only half the truth - Assensing is used for spotting hiding auras/astral forms.

+Quote Post
gunsnammo
post Sep 6 2006, 10:42 AM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 9,169

QUOTE (Critias)
Wow, imagine that, something works in terms of tie-ins to the game, potential plot points, connections, and all sorts of other in-character stuff instead of just cold, hard, math efficiency. Heaven forbid.

I never said that the concept of the group wasn't compelling. I was merely critiqueing fanpro's game mechanic used to join a group. Concept...Game mechanic two separate things.

+Quote Post
SCARed
post Sep 6 2006, 12:40 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 8,796

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Only half the truth - Assensing is used for spotting hiding auras/astral forms.

well, assensing might just be, what perception is on the normal plane.

as the whole "how does one see things on the astral plane"-thing works a bit different than normal perception, why not let assensing do the job?

*just curious*

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:51 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.