IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is magic broken?
Well, is it?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 148
Guests cannot vote 
emo samurai
post Sep 6 2006, 03:23 PM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,019

Is magic broken? As it is, spirits will wipe out anything without Manabolt, and magic can duplicate almost anything anyone else can do.

Then again, it is a huge karma sink.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Critias
post Sep 6 2006, 03:30 PM
Post #2

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

I'm curious as to why the two people who've voted "yes" thus far -- or, really, the two that voted "no" for that matter -- haven't posted anything to back up their sentiments.

+Quote Post
2bit
post Sep 6 2006, 03:36 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,526

Some specific things are broken, but don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

and what's with you and polls?

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Sep 6 2006, 03:43 PM
Post #4

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

A more pertinent question would be "What's with you and magic." And the answer is "It is 73|-| 4vv350|\/|3."

As for polls, I'm a populist. Not.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Sep 6 2006, 04:10 PM
Post #5

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

No, magic is not broken. And no, spirits do not wipe out everything (unless you use double digit spirits all the time).

A typical spirit of reasonable force is quite defeatable by a mundane.

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Kremlin KOA
post Sep 6 2006, 04:16 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,650

Magic is most certainly broken

if you do not believe me, then look at the effect of using a spirit of man for this simple trick

let it know a couple of spells you know (say armour and increase reflexes)

have it sustain them on you and maybe have it maintain concealment on oyu

make this puppy force 6 or so and you are a better sammy than the sammy, faster than the adept and tougher than the troll

add in the fact that you are better than invisible and things get truly disgusting.

EDIT: oh and before anyone mentions about the spirits as sustaining foci have the whole force reduction and angry issues... that is if it sustains a spell YOU cast... it is only sustaining a spell IT cast

+Quote Post
Teulisch
post Sep 6 2006, 04:25 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,965

spirits do have a check and balance- this is cost and services.

each trick a spirit does is a service. that costs you. and a spirit can be banished, removing it from the equation. banishing uses fewer resources than sumoning the spirit.

as for duplications- how many spells can one mage cast and maintain at a time? how long does it take the mage to go from no spells up, to being equal to a sam? how many times can that sam shoot him in that time? magic can do a lot, but its not all powerfull. mages are weaker when suprised. magic takes a lot of preperation to do properly. it can be just as expensive as a sams cyber, if not more so.

now, the real question comes down to, do you understand the many weaknesses of magic? all the ways a smart sam can geek the mage who IS ready for him?

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Sep 6 2006, 04:28 PM
Post #8

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

A big enough Sprite can wipe out anything that doesn't have an Attack program, I'm not sure how that's different. Does that mean that Hacking is "broken" because spirits can't do anything about it?

-Frank

+Quote Post
Kremlin KOA
post Sep 6 2006, 04:29 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

for those in thew shadowrunning busines, attack programs are far more common than having the ability to counter the spirit trick mentioned above

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Sep 6 2006, 04:49 PM
Post #10

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Member No.: 7,667

Guns have no drain!

+Quote Post
Kremlin KOA
post Sep 6 2006, 04:55 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

So? you can't shoot what you can't see

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Sep 6 2006, 05:02 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

Yes you can, assuming you have a reason to believe it's there. Blind fire is a hefty -6 penalty, but it is possible.

Also the "guns have no drain" comment is generally used to show that combat spells are not stronger than guns. Since you can shoot at things you can't see but cannot cast at them (except for the higher drain elemental attacks) that reply actually backs the position.

"Guns have no drain" says nothing about the power of noncombat spells, which is generally what people look at when deciding if magic is "broken" or not.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Sep 6 2006, 05:03 PM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 98

Scoped Panther Assault Cannons are broken. They can be fired at you from further away than almost any other weapon, meaning that the average character can't shoot back! That's so unfair!

Magic does some annoying shit, but it's not broken. As a GM, I'd say I have to work harder keeping the game's magic-opposing stuff in line than I do keeping almost any other aspect of the game in line, but this doesn't mean it's broken, just a PITA.

I am glad that the telecommuting mage has gotten less practical.

+Quote Post
Eryk the Red
post Sep 6 2006, 05:08 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,301

I haven't had too many problems with magic. Sometimes the group's mage walks all over stuff, sometimes he falls unconscious from drain. Sometimes he gets really frustrated because he's not sure why he can't seem to get Control Thoughts to work (he always picks the best protected ones to use it on). Magic is powerful at times, but it's also risky business. I like that. It keeps him on his toes. (Well, the fact that they were ambushed and nearly killed by a mage no more powerful than any one member of the group also keeps him on his toes.) Magic's not broken, it's dangerous.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Sep 6 2006, 07:29 PM
Post #15

jacked in

Member No.: 463

QUOTE (DireRadiant)
Guns have no drain!

Sure, they got ammo drain... :D

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post Sep 6 2006, 08:02 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 3,083

QUOTE (Teulisch)
spirits do have a check and balance- this is cost and services.

each trick a spirit does is a service. that costs you. and a spirit can be banished, removing it from the equation. banishing uses fewer resources than sumoning the spirit.

as for duplications- how many spells can one mage cast and maintain at a time? how long does it take the mage to go from no spells up, to being equal to a sam? how many times can that sam shoot him in that time? magic can do a lot, but its not all powerfull. mages are weaker when suprised. magic takes a lot of preperation to do properly. it can be just as expensive as a sams cyber, if not more so.

now, the real question comes down to, do you understand the many weaknesses of magic? all the ways a smart sam can geek the mage who IS ready for him?

I think any mage worth his/her salt will have an armor and increased reflexes spell (the mage one is likely to have enough hits to give them four initiative passes, more than most street sams) on sustaining foci. Good luck getting the drop on them.

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post Sep 6 2006, 08:07 PM
Post #17

Running Target

QUOTE (DireRadiant)
Guns have no drain!

Right, but guns, on average, dont' do nearly as much damage to as large an area as the average combat spell cast by a competent mage. There has definitely been a shift towards Awakened characters being stronger in the more recent rulesets, 3rd edition included. I run a game with 6 players. Each player, upon looking at the rules, chose some form of Awakened, except for two of them (a hacker and a street sam). The street sam is regularly matched in combat by the pistol adept, and the mage is very powerful. There are too many loopholes. You can basically summon an infinite number of spirits to kick someone's ass as long as you're far enough away to make it a remote service, so the spirit no longer counts against the limit of spirits you can conjure at once.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Sep 6 2006, 08:22 PM
Post #18

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Member No.: 7,667

QUOTE (JonathanC @ Sep 6 2006, 03:07 PM)
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Sep 6 2006, 04:49 PM)
Guns have no drain!

Right, but guns, on average, dont' do nearly as much damage to as large an area as the average combat spell cast by a competent mage. There has definitely been a shift towards Awakened characters being stronger in the more recent rulesets, 3rd edition included. I run a game with 6 players. Each player, upon looking at the rules, chose some form of Awakened, except for two of them (a hacker and a street sam). The street sam is regularly matched in combat by the pistol adept, and the mage is very powerful. There are too many loopholes. You can basically summon an infinite number of spirits to kick someone's ass as long as you're far enough away to make it a remote service, so the spirit no longer counts against the limit of spirits you can conjure at once.

If you allow this, then I would want guns that don't run out of ammo, nor ever jam!

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post Sep 6 2006, 08:24 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Allow it? It's RAW. Guns have ammo, ammo costs money. Conjuring is free. And assuming you've got the dice and can resist the drain (not hard to figure out a decent stat build for this), there's no rule that I know of to prevent this.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon
post Sep 6 2006, 08:30 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,754

I think overcasting to summon spirits is broken, but that's easy enough to houserule (note that I don't yet have Street Magic). Combat spells aren't any stronger than bullets and grenades, and most other spells can be countered with tactics and gadgets.

I voted no.

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post Sep 6 2006, 08:36 PM
Post #21

Running Target

Combat spells aren't stronger? Get serious. Compare magic to a reasonably sized gun...lets say an ingram smartgun. Damage rating of 5p. Load it with EX-EX and burst fire, and you'll drive that up to 9P, plus hits (reduced by the defense test of the target), that then gets sent up against ballistic armor + BODY. Ballistic armor being the type that most people will have the most of. Now, try casting a manabolt at force 6. 6P, plus hits (there will be plenty of those), hits that won't be reduced by any dodge tests. I've almost never seen a force 6 spell get fewer than 3 hits, so that's at least 9P that goes up against Willpower (a stat that almost nobody uses for anything but resisting magic and Black IC) ALONE. No armor whatsoever.

Even if you go with an indirect combat spell like fireball (which can be used without LOS), you're still going up against Body + half of impact armor, way better than you'll get with a bullet (gel rounds go against impact armor, but add +2 to the armor rating). Combat spells are much, much better than bullets.

+Quote Post
Mister Juan
post Sep 6 2006, 08:56 PM
Post #22

Prime Runner

Member No.: 7,129

Emo likes the polls.

No pun intended. :P

Anyways; I don't believe magic is "broken" in any ways. Yes, it can be terribly powerful, but it's a double edge weapon. Very powerful magic can kill you really fast... and that works both ways: for the target and the caster. It's also a huge karma sink and being a mojo slinger usually means people will try to kill you first ;)

It's not broken, it's just extreme in all it's advantages and disadvantages.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon
post Sep 6 2006, 09:01 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,754

Casting a spell is a complex action. Shooting a burst is a simple action. IMO, a manabolt is stronger than a single burst, but not two.

Another point is that a 6 magic mage isn't going to have the body or edge attributes that the sammy has due to karma costs, so those bursts are going to be harder to resist than you imply.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Sep 6 2006, 09:04 PM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

Bullets also don't cause drain.

Magic and guns are about equal in my experience, with guns coming out slightly ahead (mostly because of the ability to fire twice per round). Where magic pulls ahead is in miscellaneous effects. Guns have a lot lower ability to take over someone's mind. :)

+Quote Post
WhiskeyMac
post Sep 6 2006, 10:32 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,789

Actually, they do take over someone's mind and then blow it out of the back of their skulls :D Bullets can take over pretty fast on full auto. I wouldn't say magic is broken just powerful, as it should be. It should also be rare but that's up to each GM.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:59 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.