Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Magebane, Spell creation
Samaels Ghost
post Sep 6 2006, 04:22 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,717

Would it be completely out of the question to make a spell that targets awakened characters or those of a certian tradition/religion? I see rival magic circles ritually spellcasting Slaughter Wiccan or Slaughter Awakened at each other. Obviously edging on forbidden magic, and I'd only allow such a thing for the twisted NPCs in my game.

BTW, I know the description of the One Less [metatype/species] and similar spells specify that it is a biological distinction. Just wondering if this type of thing has been considered and why it shouldn't be used. Besides being a little sick :P
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Sep 6 2006, 04:27 PM
Post #2

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

I'm not really sure where the line should be drawn, i.e. if it should be Slaughter Awakened or Slaughter [Tradition], but flavorwise it seems really cool, and I see no reason why it would be particularly broken. I like it.

+Quote Post
2bit
post Sep 6 2006, 05:37 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,526

tradition is pretty gray... is it ok to use spells to learn information about people in such indirect ways? If I can cast Detect Shaman, can I cast Detect Homosexual? Detect Cop? Awakened at least is something written into your genes.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Sep 6 2006, 05:53 PM
Post #4

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Good point. I agree with 2bit. Go with Slaughter Awakened.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Sep 6 2006, 06:13 PM
Post #5

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (2bit)
can I cast Detect Homosexual?

You could try, but I'd compare its results to those of commercially available gaydar before relying on it.

Sexual orientation may be genetic, you know. Tradition may be, as well. There are plenty of stories of people who were raised as shaman eventually comming out as hermetics and vica versa. It isn't just a matter of nurture; there is some nature to it, as well.

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Sep 6 2006, 06:43 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 9,168

I'd allow it to detect anything that a person considers a fundamental part of their being.

I assume the detect is based on Auras. Auras seem to be at least somewhat based on self-image.

So Detect Fathers would find the dad of a newborn, but not the guy that had a kid 12 years ago, and doesn't even know where it is....

+Quote Post
Samaels Ghost
post Sep 6 2006, 07:05 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

See, at first I thought that anything that can be defined during an Assensing should be allowed, as a spell could be designed to seek out those astral characteristics. But The spells in SM and the core book seek out species and metatypes. That same "indirect detection" comment could be directed towards Slaughter Dragons to determine if anyone in the room is a Dragon in disguise. Actually, that's a great idea for a paranoid character :D

If metatype and species can be "detected" through using exsisting spells, tradition, awakened status, or even emotional temperment should be allowed.

After all, metatype isn't really genetic, is it? It is, by virtue of the name given to it (Unexplained Genetic Expression), undetectable through examination of the genes. It is most likely a mana based characteristic.

The example chart for Detect Life in the SR4 book lists pretty detailed information on 4 hits. Metatype, health and even what situation the living beings are in (one being chased by the others). It even gives specific info one WHO one of the people are. If that sort of thing can be detected by such a general spell, Slaughter Shaman isn't that far of a stretch.

It's not abuse of detection either. If I want to detect Shaman's in the next room with Slaughter Shaman, I better not want to talk to any of them, cause they're dead or pissed. A quick Assenssing test will reveal that I'm the jerk who did it. Such a spell is very limited in scope.

Considering all that, what do you think?

+Quote Post
Samaels Ghost
post Sep 6 2006, 07:14 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

oops. Wrote all that before considering Lorechaser's post.

Still, if you had a Ork Humanis goon that's blind and always thought he was human, would Detect Orks work on him? I'd say yes, regardless of how he considers himself. Or consider this, Detect Individual is based on your observations of the person, not his own self-image. An anorexic woman is going to think of her outward appearance differently than you would, but if you met her you could still detect her with Detect Individual. Your very limited first-impressions have no bearing on whether the spell works or not. Just that you have a first hand impression at all.

+Quote Post
Casper
post Sep 7 2006, 08:44 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,002

Slay (Awakened)?

+Quote Post
Cabral
post Sep 7 2006, 10:04 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,646

As a general rule, I try to restrict detection spells to what you could normally perceive. I know this conflicts with certain existing spells (like detct enemies), but that's my guideline and I bend from there. :)

+Quote Post
Samaels Ghost
post Sep 7 2006, 03:05 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

QUOTE (Cabral)
As a general rule, I try to restrict detection spells to what you could normally perceive. I know this conflicts with certain existing spells (like detct enemies), but that's my guideline and I bend from there. :)

Which, for a mage, includes such things as emotions, health, and technomancers. It's not far fetched to say a spell can seek out a certain energy, especially if you can assense and interpret that energy on a daily basis. A spell is pure mana, I doubt it would have the same limtiations on perception that mundane characters have. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, maybe you meant to include assensing in your "normally perceiveable" category? Could you elaborate?

Would a Dragon in disguise be immune to Detect Dragons in your games? With Shapechange or whatever alternate form power they use, detecting their true form is only really possible through assensing.

@Casper: Is that a question? A suggestion?

+Quote Post
NightHaunter
post Sep 7 2006, 04:29 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,408

QUOTE (Casper)
Slay (Awakened)?

Slay(Magician).

Slay awakened is too generic.
Includes anything touched be magicin the awakening: mages, elves, barguests, random plantlife, everything!

+Quote Post
Apathy
post Sep 7 2006, 06:02 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 6,046

Let them have Slay(Awakened), but make it touch range, and area effect...

+Quote Post
Conskill
post Sep 7 2006, 06:28 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,811

QUOTE (2bit)
tradition is pretty gray... is it ok to use spells to learn information about people in such indirect ways? If I can cast Detect Shaman, can I cast Detect Homosexual? Detect Cop? Awakened at least is something written into your genes.

Slay(Tradition) wouldn't be like Slay(Sexual Orientation), since you could make a strong case that sexual orientation is at least partially genetic in nature, and could be a valid target for such a spell.

Things Slay(Tradition) would conceptually allow:

Slay(Democrat) [as people politically inclined to be Democrats, not necessarily members of the Democratic Party]
Slay(Yale Graduate)
Slay(Humanis) [as people who are racist, not necessarily members of the Humanis Policlub]
Slay(UCAS Politicians)
Slay(Existential Philosophers)

+Quote Post
Eryk the Red
post Sep 7 2006, 07:12 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,301

Well, I'd say you couldn't make a Slay (sexual orientation) spell unless you've concluded that by 2070, it's been proven that sexuality is genetic. You'd need to be able to pinpoint that to be able to write the spell formula for it (to define what the spell is looking for).

Otherwise, it's like Slay People Who Like Chocolate Ice Cream.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Sep 7 2006, 07:31 PM
Post #16

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)
After all, metatype isn't really genetic, is it? It is, by virtue of the name given to it (Unexplained Genetic Expression), undetectable through examination of the genes. It is most likely a mana based characteristic.

actually, it is unexplained genetic expression, not "nongenetic random transformation".

IOW, yes, it is genetic, and yes you can tell someone's metatype by their genes. some of the genes involved are a little wonky, but iirc in one of the books they indicated that those genes were being sorted out as further research was being done (probably man & machine... i think it was talking about genetech anyways.)

as a particular example of this, one of the first (if not the first itself) shadowruns written was DNA/DOA or something like that. part of the concept of the run was that someone was working to genetically change orks into humans or something like that (though iirc, the work was being used in other ways also, like making diseases to target specific metatypes and whatnot).

of course, i may be misremembering, but that's what i recall anyways...

+Quote Post
2bit
post Sep 7 2006, 08:39 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,526

Best to keep it to boolean biological distinctions, readily identifiable characteristics ("people wearing hats", "people holding guns") and things readable in auras: emotions, presence of cyber, etc. I would like to think sexual preference is more complex than a boolean straight/bi/gay so I'm using that excuse to disallow it.

(I guess boolean isnt the right word when there's three things... whatever)

Next question: does Masking your aura as a mundane protect you from Slay Magician? (answer: yes)

Slay Homo is now Slay Creature of Same Gender Currently Aroused By Me.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Sep 7 2006, 08:53 PM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 98

Slay Gay People If I'm They're Type, Or The Occasional Straight Guy Who's Kinda Drunk If I'm Kind Of Androgynous sounds like a great spell :P

+Quote Post
Cognitive Resona...
post Sep 7 2006, 08:59 PM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 9,113

QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)
Which, for a mage, includes such things as emotions, health, and technomancers.

Can mages detect, or in any way perceive resonance now?

+Quote Post
Conskill
post Sep 7 2006, 09:11 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,811

QUOTE (Cognitive Resonance)
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost @ Sep 7 2006, 10:05 AM)
Which, for a mage, includes such things as emotions, health, and technomancers.

Can mages detect, or in any way perceive resonance now?

They can detect if someone's a Technomancer on a sufficently successful Assensing test. There's no indication they can otherwise detect Resonance (though it's a valid question to ask, "What the heck are they seeing in the aura that screams Technomancer?").

+Quote Post
Cognitive Resona...
post Sep 7 2006, 09:36 PM
Post #21

Target

Member No.: 9,113

QUOTE (Conskill)
They can detect if someone's a Technomancer on a sufficently successful Assensing test. There's no indication they can otherwise detect Resonance (though it's a valid question to ask, "What the heck are they seeing in the aura that screams Technomancer?").

THis gets more interesting, because I thought BBB4 pretty much stated that technomancers and resonance had never been offically "proven" to exist.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Sep 7 2006, 09:48 PM
Post #22

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (Shrike30 @ Sep 7 2006, 03:53 PM)
Slay Gay People If I'm They're Type, Or The Occasional Straight Guy Who's Kinda Drunk If I'm Kind Of Androgynous sounds like a great spell :P

I would prefer Physical Mask limited to the Form of a Very Hot Chick limited to targets who are Gay if I'm They're Type or The Occasional Straight Guy Who's Kinda Drunk if I'm Kind of Androgynous.

You can't be too picky and I'd hope that physical mask is able to provide an apparently functional vagina.

+Quote Post
Samaels Ghost
post Sep 7 2006, 10:33 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Okay, maybe tradition is too far. But there are spells out there that are really weird. They detect characteristics that aren't detectable through any other means. Masking isn't even factored into whether a spell hits, like Detect Individual.

When meeting a person pretending to be another, does your Detect Individual spell detect the faker, the owner of the assumed identity, or no one at all?

Regardless, for now I'll keep spells I introduce to our games limited to characteristics that can be seen with mundane senses, assensing tests, and scientific analysis.

+Quote Post
Cabral
post Sep 8 2006, 05:03 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,646

I can't think of any Detect [SMAM!] spells that detect anything other what can be perceived via mundane senses or with one, maybe two hits on an assensing test. I think that's a good guideline for new Detect spells.

+Quote Post
WhiskeyMac
post Sep 8 2006, 05:43 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,789

I'd like a Detect Very Hot Chick That's Looking For Someone To Sleep With And Will Take Anyone At This Point :D (-1 Threshold if alcohol is involved on her part)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:11 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.