Reply to this topicStart new topic
> background count
Straight Razor
post Sep 7 2006, 06:55 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,761

ok, i was curious how most of you handled background count in a normal run.
do not most cities have a BC of 2 or 3.

i am wanting to go as cannon as possible.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Sep 7 2006, 07:02 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

They should, although I don't know of anyone that runs them that way. It would definitely be a way to mitigate the "magic is too powerful" idea.

Keep in mind that if someone shoots a gun or swings a blade the background count goes from 0 to 1. Likewise casting an offensive spell makes it harder to cast future spells.

+Quote Post
Dog
post Sep 7 2006, 11:59 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,025

I ignore background count unless I want to impress on the characters that something very out of the ordinary has happened, or I want to interfere with magical goings-on as a plot device.

I'd regard the typical level of ongoing violence in the city the same as any predator/prey relationship in any other environment; it's an integral part that helps make it what it is. Baseline is a typical city and an especially passive area like a corp cubicle farm or a place of worship is more likely to have the background count.

I have no idea if this fits canon.

+Quote Post
RainOfSteel
post Sep 8 2006, 01:58 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,725

QUOTE (Dog)
I ignore background count unless I want to impress on the characters that something very out of the ordinary has happened, or I want to interfere with magical goings-on as a plot device.

This is the way I would run it, and the way GMs have run it in the games I have played in.

QUOTE (James McMurray)

Keep in mind that if someone shoots a gun or swings a blade the background count goes from 0 to 1. Likewise casting an offensive spell makes it harder to cast future spells.

I do not think I'd want to play a mage in a set up that worked that way.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Sep 8 2006, 06:44 AM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

I'm not sure James is right about it being intended to work like that. Canon SR3 really is fucking schizophrenic, and that extends to magic; some source material acknowledges the horrendous imbalance magic creates, and background count, as it's usually described, should be around 2 for most cities. However, that doesn't fit with canon SR3 style, which as has been pointed out in the past, is very much intended to follow 80s action movies.

How you play it is obviously up to you, but even what is canon is a little questionable. If you're only looking at the descriptions of background count, I'd say it mostly points to background count being a fairly constant issue for magic users. If you're looking at all the source material, things get a bit dodgier.

+Quote Post
noname_hero
post Sep 8 2006, 07:12 AM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 2,030

In my games, most of the city has background count low enough to be considered zero. In some places, usually because of some pollution or magical anomally or total lack of life and hope, the background rises to 1. Higher background counts are very rare, and usually limited to relatively small areas - and the characters know that a high background count means that something is *wrong*.

What I do, though, is use "fractional" background counts - sometimes I say things like "It is as if there was some thin smoke filling the astral here, and it 'tastes' like crude oil and naked metal - nothing too serious, say 0.3 background.", or "You can *feel* the belief of the churchgoers here - a christian mage would feel OK here, but for you it is as if the reality here was slightly angry at your attempts to use magic here. Say 0.8 background, almost enough to be a problem - you're lucky it's been quiet here the last few days."

It serves to tell the players more about the place, and warns them that in some places inside the area the background can actually be high enough to matter.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Sep 8 2006, 09:42 AM
Post #7

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

In games that I run, the city has background count, but for the most part, the PC is so used to the background count that it has become neutral to him. Other PCs that do not live in the city or come from a peaceful wholesome small town area will suffer the effects, but will gradually get used to it like someone from the lowlands can get acclimatised to the mountains.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Sep 8 2006, 01:14 PM
Post #8

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

QUOTE (toturi)
In games that I run, the city has background count, but for the most part, the PC is so used to the background count that it has become neutral to him. Other PCs that do not live in the city or come from a peaceful wholesome small town area will suffer the effects, but will gradually get used to it like someone from the lowlands can get acclimatised to the mountains.

I kinda like that idea. It reflects the "living" aspect of magic, I think.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Sep 8 2006, 02:22 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

I wasn't trying to say how it was intended, or what canon was. I was just pointing out how the rules work.

+Quote Post
noname_hero
post Sep 8 2006, 02:44 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 2,030

QUOTE (James McMurray)
I wasn't trying to say how it was intended, or what canon was. I was just pointing out how the rules work.

Depends on how you read the rules. If you look at the table on p. 84 in MitS, and read the examples of some locations and respective background counts, you can see that higher backgrounds are quite rare - examples of background count 3 are e.g. major battlefields, cathedrals, or organ-legger chop-shops. Even level 2 is places such as maximum-security prison or enchanter's workshop.

Maybe it is just me, but my sprawls, while far from being nice places to live in, tend to be *far* better than maximum-security prisons, and there's *much* less magic on the street than in enchanters' workshops.

So no, my cities don't have background count 2 - 3, and I believe that even the rules support this position...

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Sep 8 2006, 03:44 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Different interpretations. No biggie. :)

+Quote Post
toturi
post Sep 9 2006, 12:34 AM
Post #12

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

IIRC SRMs had a scenario that used BC, and it was due to some acid rain phenomena that was not usual to the city. Remember Background Count can be Aspected (MITS p 85), so it can be considered canon to have BC 1-2 in the city aspected to be neutral to city dwellers. Which was how I rationalised my acclimatisation interpretation.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:38 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.