> More about Sensors, More questions!
GrinderTheTroll
post Sep 15 2006, 06:17 AM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,465

Hi again all,

I asked some general questions a little while back about Drones, Sensors and Perception and that had some good replies but now I am back with a few more questions!

SR4.325 shows different "Sensor Packages" that reference Sizes(Capacity, Signal) : RFID (1,0); Micro(1,2); Handheld/Minidrone(3,3); Mounted/Small Drone(5,4); Large Drone(8,4) and Vehicle(12,5).

Does this mean my Microdrone can only have 1 type of sensor since the Sensor Package only has capacity of 1? So per the list I could have any except the Laser Mic? Could I have more "Sensor Packages" than just 1 or does the vehicle/drone size just allow "1 package per size catergory"? Given the very small size of RFID, could I include RFID(1, 0) as part of my Vehicle/Drone or would that take up my Sensor Package space?

So would the scenario be something like: an object comes into range of my Drone with a Cyberware Scanner 5 (Signal 2=100m). I roll a Sensor + Clearsight (6 for this example) and -3 dice pool per the Signature table. I manage to get 2-hits so I know there is a metahuman 100m out. Now since my Cyberware Scanner only has a max distance of 15m, I would have to wait until the metahuman gets in range to run the Cyberware scan?

Same scenario with a Low-light, Thermographic Camera instead would allow for a Perception Test at 100m with appropriate modifiers per SR4.117? If successful, it would yield more detail than just "a metahuman"?

Just seems there are 2 ranges to consider: Sensor Package range and Sensor Function range, as well as 2 Tests to make: a Sensor Test and a Sensor Function Test (per Sensor Type).

Confusing as it may be, the vehicle Sensor attribute is only used for Sensor and other "Perception" Tests, it has nothing to do with how many sensors you can have/use.

Is this the right line of thinking on this? Am I missing something?

Thanks,

~GTT
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
WhiskeyMac
post Sep 15 2006, 06:21 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,789

The sensor on the drone stats doesn't refer to the sensor packages at all. On pg. 159 of the BBB it states that the sensor stat is like Intuition for drones. The sensor packages size are equivalent size ranks to gauge how big the sensor array would be. It states that it can be added on so the sensor would just add another feature for the drone to use. The Sensor stat is Intuition and used for perception tests and all other tests intuition is used in.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Sep 15 2006, 06:25 AM
Post #3

Shooting Target

QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)
The sensor on the drone stats doesn't refer to the sensor packages at all. On pg. 159 of the BBB it states that the sensor stat is like Intuition for drones. The sensor packages size are equivalent size ranks to gauge how big the sensor array would be. It states that it can be added on so the sensor would just add another feature for the drone to use. The Sensor stat is Intuition and used for perception tests and all other tests intuition is used in.

I know about the Sensor attribute. But how many packages can I add? What's the limit? Is my example valid?

+Quote Post
Samaels Ghost
post Sep 15 2006, 06:32 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,717

The range at which a sensor (as in cyberware scanner) can function is determined by how big it's package is. Your microdrone sensors would have a range equivalent of Signal 2 (100m).

As for separate Sensor Test and Sensor Function Tests.... It should work like Sensor Rating+Clearsight, but I'm not sure that it does. If it is using a sensor other than the one that it comes with (which I assume is the equivalent of radar) than I'd say your Cyberware scanner example would be Cyber Scanner 5 + Clearsight test made at a maximum range of 100m.

Sorry if that's confusing :P

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Sep 15 2006, 06:43 AM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 948

QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Sep 15 2006, 06:25 AM)

I know about the Sensor attribute.  But how many packages can I add?  What's the limit?  Is my example valid?

I've always judged it to be the amount of sensor upgrades one can fit inside it. The drone sensor have a number of "slot" upgrades where they can install improvement on their radar(?).

For example, a vehicle like an americar has a sensor capacity of 12, no sensor improvement have a larger size than 2.

Im gonna re-read it just to be sure.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Sep 15 2006, 07:23 AM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 948

I wonder how much drones can carry? I mean, If I add a Sensor tag like some bumper sticker on my Microskimmer and the drone has it subscribed it adds to the drones sensor right – and a sensor tag cant weight…anything basically.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Sep 15 2006, 05:54 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

QUOTE (The Jopp)
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Sep 15 2006, 06:25 AM)

I know about the Sensor attribute.  But how many packages can I add?  What's the limit?  Is my example valid?

I've always judged it to be the amount of sensor upgrades one can fit inside it. The drone sensor have a number of "slot" upgrades where they can install improvement on their radar(?).

For example, a vehicle like an americar has a sensor capacity of 12, no sensor improvement have a larger size than 2.

Im gonna re-read it just to be sure.

Coming from SR3 myself, I thought the Sensor attribute in SR4 function the same way but it doesn't. As mentioned, it's only the Vehicle/Drone's Intuition, although I would of thought Pilot would function in that capacity, however I can see where a difference could exist.

I'll restate and try to reclarify my questions:

a) How many Sensor packages can a vehicle/drone have?

b) There seem to be 2 types of tests used to find and object and describe it:
- Sensor Test (Sensor+Clearsight) to find an objects Signature (what it is).
- Sensor Function Test (vehicle "Perception Test" per SensorType to get details)

c) Sensor packages has a range based on type (RFID, Micro, Mini, etc.) does the Sensor Test use this range as well?

Sorry for the re-hash, I just can't quite connect the dots.

+Quote Post
Mr. Unpronouncea...
post Sep 15 2006, 06:43 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 770

I really hope they include a way to increase a vehicle's sensor rating in the relevant splatbook...

None of the vehicles or drones listed have more than a rating of 3...even with clearsight you're averaging 1 or 2 successes max - 2 successes is just enough to notice a pedestrian (p.117). God forbid there are vision modifiers. Apparently drones should be ramming people left and right.

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Sep 15 2006, 07:03 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 9,168

QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable)
The range at which a sensor (as in cyberware scanner) can function is determined by how big it's package is.

Apparently drones should be ramming people left and right.

*sophmoric giggle*

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Sep 15 2006, 07:15 PM
Post #10

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

Use the Sensor Packages table on page 325 to determine the total capacity and signal for your drone.

Example: P 342 lists a Lockheed Optic X (Small), looking at the Sensor Package table on p 325 shows a small drone has Capacity 5 and signal 4.

Use the Sensor Functions table on p 325 to determine what type of sensors are installed.

e.g. a Small drone can carry, Atmosphere sensor (1), Camera (1) , Cyberware scanner (1) , Directional Microphne (1), and a geiger counter (1) to use up 5 capacity.

Each Sensor Function can be further enhanced.

e.g. The Camera can take low light options for example.

Using Sensors p 239

"When observing through a drone, a rigger
rolls Sensor (rather than Intuition) +
Perception. Drones operating on their own
simply roll Sensor + Clearsight autosoft (or
just Sensor if they don’t have the autosoft )."

E.g. This is where you use the Drone's sensor attribute, to determine how many dice you roll, in this example the lockheed has sensor 2.

Now for the tricky part. What the heck is the type of snsensorshat you are using when you do not have a sensor package installed?

Personally I would just say it's some kind of cheap video/ ultrasound/sonar setup that's enough for a Pilot program to avoid running into things, and maybe figure out barely what it's seeing. You don't see the actual sensor input but you get a report of what the drone thinks it's seeing.

Does this help?

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Sep 15 2006, 07:21 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

QUOTE (DireRadiant)
Use the Sensor Packages table on page 325 to determine the total capacity and signal for your drone.

Example: P 342 lists a Lockheed Optic X (Small), looking at the Sensor Package table on p 325 shows a small drone has Capacity 5 and signal 4.

Use the Sensor Functions table on p 325 to determine what type of sensors are installed.

e.g. a Small drone can carry, Atmosphere sensor (1), Camera (1) , Cyberware scanner (1) , Directional Microphne (1), and a geiger counter (1) to use up 5 capacity.

Each Sensor Function can be further enhanced.

e.g. The Camera can take low light options for example.

Using Sensors p 239

"When observing through a drone, a rigger
rolls Sensor (rather than Intuition) +
Perception. Drones operating on their own
simply roll Sensor + Clearsight autosoft (or
just Sensor if they don’t have the autosoft )."

E.g. This is where you use the Drone's sensor attribute, to determine how many dice you roll, in this example the lockheed has sensor 2.

Now for the tricky part. What the heck is the type of snsensorshat you are using when you do not have a sensor package installed?

Personally I would just say it's some kind of cheap video/ ultrasound/sonar setup that's enough for a Pilot program to avoid running into things, and maybe figure out barely what it's seeing. You don't see the actual sensor input but you get a report of what the drone thinks it's seeing.

Does this help?

Yes very much, it's what I sorta of concluded after piecing it together, thank you.

What about the Sensor Test that is testing for Signature? That also seems to be another way to find an object w/o the need to know exactly how you are doing it.

On last point, some sensors (like Cyberware scanners or Directional Mics) have limited ranges of operation (15m and 50m respectively). Which range would be used if present in a Sensor package? The package rating or the sensor rating?

Thanks!

+Quote Post
Zen Shooter01
post Sep 15 2006, 07:23 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,042

That drone ramming thing has always been a problem. In 3rd, many drones rolled 1 or 2D6 vs. TN 6 to even detect a metahuman. The failure rate was ludicrous, and it's ludicrous now.

My interpretation is that drones automatically detect things around them, but that a sensor test is necessary to determine any details. So the metahuman is automatically detected, but a sensor test is necessary to tell if it's this particular metahuman or that one.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Sep 15 2006, 07:34 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
That drone ramming thing has always been a problem. In 3rd, many drones rolled 1 or 2D6 vs. TN 6 to even detect a metahuman. The failure rate was ludicrous, and it's ludicrous now.

My interpretation is that drones automatically detect things around them, but that a sensor test is necessary to determine any details. So the metahuman is automatically detected, but a sensor test is necessary to tell if it's this particular metahuman or that one.

But you see, there exists 2 possible tests:

A Sensor Test with Signature as the outcome and no definition of what any additional hits do and a Perception Test based on the installed Sensors.

The Sensor Test makes it easy for a drone to avoid large things but still hard to avoid smaller things because of the way the Signature modifiers are set up. Stock rating w/o a good Clearsight autosoft or an upgraded Sensor attribute still makes them mindless pests.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Sep 15 2006, 07:40 PM
Post #14

The Dragon Never Sleeps

QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
What about the Sensor Test that is testing for Signature? That also seems to be another way to find an object w/o the need to know exactly how you are doing it.

I can't explain it much better then this.

p 162

"To detect a person, critter, or vehicle with sensors, the
character/vehicle must make a successful Sensor + Perception
Test (Sensor + Pilot in the case of drones). If the target is
trying to evade detection, make this an opposed Test versus
the target’s Infi ltration + Agility (metahumans, critters) or
Infi ltration (Vehicle) + Reaction +/– Handling in the case of
vehicles. Since vehicle stealth is limited by the driver’s ability,
the dice applied for Infi ltration
skill should not exceed the driver’s
appropriate Vehicle skill.
Sensors are designed to detect
the “signature” (emissions,
composition, sound, etc) of other
vehicles, so modifi ers from the
Signature Table apply to the detecting
vehicle’s dice pool."

Opposed Test
Sensor + Pilot + Signature Table Modifier vs Infiltration + Agility|Reaction +/- HandlingHandling

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Sep 15 2006, 07:42 PM
Post #15

The Dragon Never Sleeps

QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
On last point, some sensors (like Cyberware scanners or Directional Mics) have limited ranges of operation (15m and 50m respectively). Which range would be used if present in a Sensor package? The package rating or the sensor rating?

Use the Sensor Package limits to determine range. So 15 and 50 meters.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Sep 15 2006, 08:00 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

QUOTE (DireRadiant)
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Sep 15 2006, 02:21 PM)
What about the Sensor Test that is testing for Signature?  That also seems to be another way to find an object w/o the need to know exactly how you are doing it.

I can't explain it much better then this.

p 162

"To detect a person, critter, or vehicle with sensors, the
character/vehicle must make a successful Sensor + Perception
Test (Sensor + Pilot in the case of drones). If the target is
trying to evade detection, make this an opposed Test versus
the target’s Infi ltration + Agility (metahumans, critters) or
Infi ltration (Vehicle) + Reaction +/– Handling in the case of
vehicles. Since vehicle stealth is limited by the driver’s ability,
the dice applied for Infi ltration
skill should not exceed the driver’s
appropriate Vehicle skill.
Sensors are designed to detect
vehicles, so modifi ers from the
Signature Table apply to the detecting
vehicle’s dice pool."

Opposed Test
Sensor + Pilot + Signature Table Modifier vs Infiltration + Agility|Reaction +/- HandlingHandling

So when does lighting (Darkness, Partial, etc.) come into play?

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Sep 15 2006, 08:11 PM
Post #17

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Given "Sensors are designed to detect
vehicles"

I think it's up to you to decide if normal vision/auditory mods are appropriate or not. In general I would ignore them most of the time for vehciel and sensor tests. Unless there is a specific attempt to mask the signature in which case I might allow parital to complete modifiers.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Sep 15 2006, 08:15 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

QUOTE (DireRadiant)
Given "Sensors are designed to detect
vehicles"

I think it's up to you to decide if normal vision/auditory mods are appropriate or not. In general I would ignore them most of the time for vehciel and sensor tests. Unless there is a specific attempt to mask the signature in which case I might allow parital to complete modifiers.

I think I understand now: There really is just one test and it uses the Sensor packages attributes (range, type, purpose) to get a Signature reading on some object. In the intereset of streamlining (one of the tenants of SR4 iirc) it makes sense.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Sep 15 2006, 09:41 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (DireRadiant)
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Sep 15 2006, 02:21 PM)
On last point, some sensors (like Cyberware scanners or Directional Mics) have limited ranges of operation (15m and 50m respectively).  Which range would be used if present in a Sensor package?  The package rating or the sensor rating?

Use the Sensor Package limits to determine range. So 15 and 50 meters.

you use the shorter of the two, i thought... so if for some reason you have a signal 0 on your sensor, and you have something with a max range of 50m, the range is 3m because that's the shorter distance.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 07:11 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.