IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Drone Response?, ...also missing from the BBB?
JonathanC
post Sep 17 2006, 07:10 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,083

On page 239, Drone Initiative is said to be calculated by Pilot Rating + Response.

What is the response of a given Drone? I looked up the drone stats in the back of the book, with the rest of the equipment...nothing. Looked in the Wireless chapter, and I also found nothing. I've been kind of trying to fake it, but some hard stats would be nice. It's a little odd to find information that important missing.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Sep 17 2006, 07:11 PM
Post #2

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

It has a Device Rating of 3.

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post Sep 17 2006, 07:19 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Thanks. Not sure how I missed that. I used slightly higher numbers, but then, it's not that hard to upgrade your drones, especially if you expect them to kill anything.

edit: I know how I missed it. It was in the Matrix section, rather than the drone section of the Wireless chapter. Thanks again. :D

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Sep 18 2006, 07:39 AM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

QUOTE (JonathanC)
Thanks. Not sure how I missed that. I used slightly higher numbers, but then, it's not that hard to upgrade your drones, especially if you expect them to kill anything.

edit: I know how I missed it. It was in the Matrix section, rather than the drone section of the Wireless chapter. Thanks again. :D

If you check the Device Rating chart some Drones can have 3 or 4. The Drone Rigger sample PC has drones that have a 4 but it's not clear what defaulty qualifies a Drone as "Regular" or "Security" yet.

I asked what a while back and couldn't get a clear answer in SR4 yet. Per SR3, Security things had armor or weapons so that rule probably holds in SR4 too.

+Quote Post
Zen Shooter01
post Sep 18 2006, 02:45 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,042

I presumed it was the Response rating of the governing commlink.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Sep 18 2006, 03:07 PM
Post #6

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)

and what would happen if a drone was disconnected?

+Quote Post
domino10
post Sep 18 2006, 03:19 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 9,417

what do you mean by disconnected i.e. is it disconnected from you or just disconnected as in in standby mode

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post Sep 18 2006, 04:56 PM
Post #8

Running Target

If the drone is acting on its own programming (you're using AR and giving commands), then it makes no sense for it to be using the commlink's response. I also think, however, that the combat specific drones ought to come installed with a better response rating than 3, but I guess that's easily fixed.

+Quote Post
Cheops
post Sep 18 2006, 05:10 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 392

Something my group was looking for last week that I haven't been able to find is:

What does a drone roll when piloting itself? Or doing any actions at all? I need to know pools with and without autosofts.

Thanks

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Sep 18 2006, 05:10 PM
Post #10

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

According to p 215 Sample Devices table Security Vehicles and Security Devices are Device Rating 4.

I can easily consider the Steel Lynx to meet these requirements.

+Quote Post
Glayvin34
post Sep 18 2006, 05:12 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,275

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
and what would happen if a drone was disconnected?

I always thought that drone internal components were more or less the same as commlink internal components, they have Response, Signal, and Firewall normally, but they have System or Pilot. Which does the same thing with respect to running programs, like ECCM, Armor or other programs that are useful to drones and comms. So you can't disconnect a drone from its governing comm any more than you can separate the individual components of a commlink.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Sep 18 2006, 05:16 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)

Each Drone can run autosofts so it can do special things like shoot weapons, evade attacks, and have a better chance at spotting targets. Like all other matrix enabled devices it needs to have Reponse/Signal/System/Firewall ratings. By default those are 3 (or 4) but can be upgraded.

This also means your Drone (or anything else for that matter with a Device rating) can pack IC along with its autosofts to ward-off invading Personas or IC or run Encryption and other programs.

It's really just a mobile Node just like anyone else with a commlink.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Sep 18 2006, 05:22 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Cheops)
Something my group was looking for last week that I haven't been able to find is:

What does a drone roll when piloting itself? Or doing any actions at all? I need to know pools with and without autosofts.

Thanks

When someone isn't "jumped into it" and rigging it (the rigger uses they own skills then) the Drone has to rely on its own programming and attributes.

One example might be, you give a Drone the command to, "Patrol this area and look for movement or humanoid life" it will do just that but will have to use its own attributes for Sensor Tests (Pilot+Sensor) to carry out its orders.

Pilot is the default skill/attribute when no meaet-body is rigging it directly.

+Quote Post
Wiseman
post Sep 18 2006, 06:32 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,911

Brings up some confusion for me, IF the drone is made up of the Device Rating + Pilot (makes sense), and Pilot cannot be greater than the system, and the system cannot be greater than response. Does this mean that all drones with a Device Rating of 3 are limited to a Pilot Program Rating of 3?

Don't have the book in front of me to look it up right now, but I think thats how it works. So how would you get a Pilot 4-6 into any normal drone?

+Quote Post
Glayvin34
post Sep 18 2006, 06:40 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

With Drones, Pilot is basically synonymous with and replaces System. And I don't think there's a rule that says System/Pilot can't be greater than response. So you can just buy or steal a better Pilot program for your drone.

Of course you'd have to break into the approppriate corp to steal the Pilot program, but that's a different thread.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Sep 18 2006, 06:46 PM
Post #16

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

QUOTE (Glayvin34)
With Drones, Pilot is basically synonymous with and replaces System. And I don't think there's a rule that says System/Pilot can't be greater than response. So you can just buy or steal a better Pilot program for your drone.

Of course you'd have to break into the approppriate corp to steal the Pilot program, but that's a different thread.

P 227

"Agents have a Pilot attribute just like drones (see Pilot
Programs, p. 213) that determines just how “smart” the agent is.
Pilot acts as the agent’s brain, interpreting orders.
Agents have their own built-in Firewall attribute, equal to
their Pilot rating. Agents use the Response attribute of whatever
node they are run on; this means that the attributes of an agent
operating independently may vary as it moves from node to node."

P 213

"Pilot
is used in place of System for vehicles, drones, and agents, but
otherwise has the same
function as System"

"A System program is limited by the Response rating of the
device it is on; a System run on a device with a lower Response
rating functions at the Response rating instead."

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post Sep 18 2006, 06:47 PM
Post #17

Running Target

QUOTE (Glayvin34)

Actually, it is explicitly stated that System cannot exceed Response.

+Quote Post
Glayvin34
post Sep 18 2006, 06:50 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

And there you have it.

edit : :oops:

+Quote Post
Mr. Unpronouncea...
post Sep 18 2006, 06:55 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 770

QUOTE (Cheops)

Thanks

Doesn't look like anyone answered this yet, so:

Pilot+Manuever autosoft (if one is running),
QUOTE ( p.240)

Maneuver (Vehicle Type)
Maneuver autosoft s are the equivalent of vehicle skills—they assist a Pilot to maneuver itself better. They contain a comprehensive guide to a drone’s particular specs, allowing the Pilot to achieve optimal performance and control the vehicle to the limits of its capabilities. A drone with this autosoft rolls Pilot + Maneuver

where the autosoft is limited to the pilot rating max (since pilot = system, with the same program limiting factors as a commlink's system rating)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 08:06 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.