Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Player who won't butt out, Keeping P2P roleplayng P2P
Akimbo
post Sep 20 2006, 04:10 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,844

In my games, I have a lot of downtime between runs. I allow my characters to go about their personal lives and do things by themselves, rather than as a group. During this, one particular player has way too much to share and often invades our person to person roleplaying with his own particular actions. I have told him on multiple occassions that I will get to his turn very shortly, and that he should wait. Unfortunately, he continues with this anyway. What can I do to get this guy to stop? He keeps interrupting and making it harder for any of my other players to get anything done.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Sep 20 2006, 04:20 PM
Post #2

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

Really, beyond just making it clear that he should wait for his turn, I don't know what else you can do.

I suggest having a conversation about this with him away from the game. Let him know that his actions are detrimental to the fun of the other players, and that as GM, you can't allow one player to be a disruption that affects the whole group.

If it's possible, perhaps you could offer to occasionally run one on one sessions with the player. Behind the scenes, you know that you're just trying to give him time in the spotlight and time to get out all of his ideas. To him, he'll be getting the spotlight he seems to want, and he'll feel like he's contributing to the game.

Above all, be sure to make it clear that you appreciate his committment and enthusiasm. Be positive, but be firm in telling him that you can't let him continue to take away from the fun of the other players.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Sep 20 2006, 04:37 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

If you take the one on one sessions to another room he probably won't follow.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Sep 20 2006, 05:08 PM
Post #4

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

Pepper spray

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Sep 20 2006, 05:13 PM
Post #5

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

We do that too. I've found that the key to doing this is to have everyone else that isn't roleplaying to go into the other room and either watch an old classic movie that everyone has seen before, or play some sort of video game like Super Smash Bros or whatever. Keep everyone entertained, you know.

It's crucial though that the movie be something everyone has already seen. Otherwise when you switch players to roleplay with, the other guy might want to not play and watch the movie instead! And if using video games, pick a game that's easy in and out, like multiplayer shooters and such.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Sep 20 2006, 05:15 PM
Post #6

ghostrider

The only thing I would caution someone on if they wished to use the leaving the room option is that some groups, when left to their own devices, can have trouble getting back into the game.

Some players will feel left out when you do this (not all), and it can lead to them starting up other activities that when you return, they want to continue doing rather than getting back into the game.

Like I said, this isn't a problem for everyone. I just recommend only using the other room trick if you know it won't cause any problems.

+Quote Post
Firewall
post Sep 20 2006, 05:24 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,125

Orbital Bovine Bombardment...

I once got fed up with my group, told them that a space-cow dropped form the sky and killed them all, then walked out of the room. Since that time, the words 'Space-Cow' have the effect of making half of them repeat 'Space-Cow' in a variety of comical accents and the other half will suddenly swear blind that they were listening all along.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Sep 20 2006, 05:36 PM
Post #8

ghostrider

Ah, good old Blackjack.

+Quote Post
2bit
post Sep 20 2006, 05:38 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,526

tell him that behavior is the reason he will never have sex without negotiating a price first.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Sep 20 2006, 05:50 PM
Post #10

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

Stabbity stab stab.

+Quote Post
Konsaki
post Sep 20 2006, 06:47 PM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 8,445

QUOTE (emo samurai)
Stabbity stab stab.

OK, Black Mage...

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Sep 20 2006, 07:29 PM
Post #12

Dragon

I AM black mage.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Sep 20 2006, 08:06 PM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

So you don't shower often and smell like brimstone and other stuff?

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Sep 20 2006, 08:15 PM
Post #14

Dragon

Yes.

+Quote Post
Konsaki
post Sep 20 2006, 08:20 PM
Post #15

Runner

Member No.: 8,445

His cloths look stupid too... though he did rule hell till they kicked him out for being too evil.
You still cant kill Fighter though... loser. :D

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Sep 20 2006, 08:23 PM
Post #16

Dragon

Too... much... armor... *kink* *kink* *kink*

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Sep 20 2006, 11:13 PM
Post #17

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

YMMV, but sometimes getting everyone drunk helps a lot. With any luck the guy who won't butt out will get drunk and get his character killed.

Once, a normally brilliant player at my virtual table got really drunk off of Beefeater gin. He seemingly passed out for a while and then woke up in the middle of a combat and cast a huge fireball at the enemy. Unfortunately the enemy was engaged in melee with the PCs...

+Quote Post
Fresno Bob
post Sep 21 2006, 12:24 AM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,252

I've had that happen to me before.

+Quote Post
Vaevictis
post Sep 21 2006, 06:25 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,441

QUOTE (Firewall)
Orbital Bovine Bombardment...

Anvils that drop out of the sky like in the old Looney Toons :)

+Quote Post
Tiger Eyes
post Sep 21 2006, 08:46 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,508

#1. Use the old 'only the person holding the magic wand can speak' trick. Ok, so it is really more suited for kindergarteners. But anyone who can't understand that it is impolite to interupt deserves to be treated like a 5 year old.

#2. Or you could try sitting down with him before your next game and explain that you all will be having some one-on-one roleplaying later that evening. Tell him that you would appreciate it if he did not interrupt during the other players' turn. If he just can't get it after a calm & clear request, see #1.

Actually, the magic wand works best for 5 year old girls. You may want to find a toy more suited to boys. Maybe a giant match-box car? :wobble:

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Sep 21 2006, 10:20 PM
Post #21

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

QUOTE (Tiger Eyes)

Actually, the magic wand works best for 5 year old girls. You may want to find a toy more suited to boys. Maybe a giant match-box car? :wobble:

Plastic toy classic M14 battle rifle.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:32 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.