IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> open source bionic limbs?, wired is having a theme week!
hobgoblin
post Sep 21 2006, 12:36 PM
Post #1

panda!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,242

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,717...l?tw=wn_index_1

the best bit is at the end of the second page where a dad talks about his toughts for the future.

As for Haag, it was one morning in his bathroom that he really understood what he wanted for his son, and it wasn't something government grants or medical companies were ever going to give him. He was looking at his toothbrush, a piece of curved space-age plastic, covered with racing stripes and stylish grooves.

He realized that as a society, we've made toothbrushes cool. "I'm looking at my toothbrush, and I'm looking at his limb, and looking back at my toothbrush ... why can't we make this limb as cool as this toothbrush?"

These days he doesn't fantasize about a realistic looking hand for Michael. He tends to think about brushed stainless steel, or flame streaks embedded in clear plastic. He wants the other kids on the schoolyard to look at his son's helping hand, and say, "Wow, I want one of those!"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
knasser
post Sep 21 2006, 01:41 PM
Post #2

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

Wow! That's incredible. I have the utmost respect for these people's aims and resourcefulness. Just... wow!

Thank you for posting this - it's really made me go...uh, wow!

+Quote Post
El_Machinae
post Sep 21 2006, 03:39 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,188

I like how they use lego for proof-of-concept designs.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Sep 21 2006, 04:08 PM
Post #4

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

This IS pretty fucking awesome.

Would something like this happen in SR?

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Sep 21 2006, 04:12 PM
Post #5

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

Yeah it's easy cyber limbs at 10% of the nuyen cost, but made of lego!

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Sep 21 2006, 04:26 PM
Post #6

panda!

QUOTE (emo samurai)
This IS pretty fucking awesome.

Would something like this happen in SR?

RMS, GNU and GPL apparently never happend in SR so, not likely...

+Quote Post
knasser
post Sep 21 2006, 05:31 PM
Post #7

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

Yeah, imagine people achieving some kind of positive victory against corporate power in the SR timeline. Heresy!

But seriously, I think this can be integrated into SR. It doesn't need to be explicitly called Open Source. I imagine it as the more innovative Street Docs playing around and doing custom jobs. Many of them will have trid images of their work displayed in their clinic (or more grisly - reclaimed examples if the payments weren't met). Likely they'll swap notes over the matrix. Next time a player is numbed up and can't move while she has a cyberlimb fitted, the doc will open up a trid channel to his mates in Beijing and Birmingham and they'll swap suggestion as he works.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Sep 21 2006, 05:47 PM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 98

Obvious, stylish cyberware is one of those things that I feel really disappeared/was discouraged in the SR3 era. I'm kind of hoping it comes back with SR4.

In a world where you can have your muscles regrown and your skin toughened and your brain boosted until you're as quick as a cheetah, I think the concept that "people react badly to cyberware" is a little outdated.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Sep 21 2006, 05:53 PM
Post #9

panda!

btw, this whole article is a example that free market powers are not a cure-all. given the limited interest and numbers there are of people that loose hands or more compared to the number of people that loose a foot, the corporates that develop bionic replacements are focusing on the largets market. leaving the others with "ancient" solutions.

hell, you see the same thing with antibiotica's. the big medicine corps no longer finds them interesting as the development time and cost cant be recooped before the bacteria become resistent to the chemicals.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Sep 21 2006, 06:39 PM
Post #10

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

In the next 30 years I can see people chopping off perfectly healthy limbs to make a fashion statement. AGiven the recent advancements in DNI computing and robotics cyberlimbs that are superior to the real thing should not be uncommon in the near future and when the metal is better than the flesh there will be pressure to chop off the flesh and buy the metal.

What I link is that, assuming that you know someone who can put it together, the cost of a SOTA prostesis is reduced from thirty-thousand dollars minimum to a few hundred dollars.

All things being equal, most of the cost of prostesis and similar items are intellectual property fees. With an open souce design the per-unit cost is reduced to the actual cost of constructing a unit.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Sep 21 2006, 07:05 PM
Post #11

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

Would YOU get a cyberlimb?

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Sep 21 2006, 07:21 PM
Post #12

panda!

maybe, if i could get a mobile phone and a mp3 player installed, and that worked just a good as the meat in terms of tacticle feedback and precision.

+Quote Post
Dale
post Sep 21 2006, 07:25 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,088

Hell I've wanted a cyberlimb since 1989.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Sep 21 2006, 07:40 PM
Post #14

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

QUOTE (emo samurai)
Would YOU get a cyberlimb?

I'd give my left arm for a cyberlimb! (Preferably with the new cyberlimb being a left arm.)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:24 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.