IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Parachuting Skill, Has anybody used this?
G.NOME
post Oct 1 2006, 06:24 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,875

...and if so, how?

What were the results?

It seems to me that there'd be few circumstances to get to use a skill like this.

Ditto for swimming, for that matter.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Konsaki
post Oct 1 2006, 06:38 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 8,445

Swimming isnt just for when you need to swim. It is also used for when you need to hold your breath for long times, like in a huge gas cloud or something along those lines.
Now the parachuting skill... I have no idea.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Oct 1 2006, 06:39 AM
Post #3

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

Not SR4, but in a game I GMed in SR3, a character was a thrill junkie, and one hobby was base jumping. He base jumped the Space Needle in one game.

So I guess as far as there being circumstances, that's going to be up to the GM. If the character takes a skill like that, I try to give them the chance to use it at some point. Give and take, you know?

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Oct 1 2006, 08:12 AM
Post #4

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

Used Parachuting in SR3 once. ;)

On a similar topic... when do you use Swimming and when do you use Diving?

Surely, someone with Swimming won't be completely helpless all of a sudden, if diving a few inches below the water surface!?

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
kzt
post Oct 1 2006, 08:37 AM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

QUOTE (Thanee @ Oct 1 2006, 03:12 AM)
On a similar topic... when do you use Swimming and when do you use Diving?

Surely, someone with Swimming won't be completely helpless all of a sudden, if diving a few inches below the water surface!?

I'd say Diving would be swimming using external air sources. Swimming means you only breath from the atmosphere. So free diving is swimming, scuba is diving, and combat swimmer operations using an oxygen rebreather is diving. And cave diving with a mixed gas rebreather is still nuts, but uses diving skill.

+Quote Post
Konsaki
post Oct 1 2006, 08:39 AM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 8,445

I would rule swimming as more of a skill used while you are moving on the surface of the water. The depth would be as far as you can go holding your own breath. This is because swimming up top uses your full body and movements are more freestyle in how they want to swim.

Diving is used once they use any knowledge or equipment past a snorkle to swim deeper than using the swimming skill. Examples would be knowledge and use of airtanks, flippers, wetsuits, boyancy devices and knowledge on how to surface without getting the bends. If you watch any TV shows on underwater cavern exploration, you see that they arnt really using thier full body to swim, but just slight movements of thier legs. This is to save energy for a long dive and if you are a novice, you might tire yourself by using too much movement or the incorrect movements.

Edit: Damn you, kzt, you posted a few minutes before me. :D

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Oct 1 2006, 09:24 AM
Post #7

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Three words, percision HALO insertions. Sometimes, going in the the door isn't an option and neither is tunneling in from above. In those cases it is helpful to have the parachute skill.

Also, one should not forget percision HALO extractions. Get on the same commercial flight as your extraction target, grab him, and pop the door open. Time it so that you have a boat or a ground team waiting below.

+Quote Post
Schaeffer
post Oct 1 2006, 04:42 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,876

Our team has used parachutes before, but not a lot. We've dropped on large yachts, and remote corporate facilities. Only one of the team members had the skill at creation, to reflect his background. The rest developed the skill as the campaign wore on. It all obviously depends on the type of campaign you run in. Ours is definitely more like Rainbow Six than Heat. We've also used diving as well, to slip up on targets unaware.

Hyz, I love the idea of a HALO extraction! Move over D.B. Cooper!

+Quote Post
maeel
post Oct 1 2006, 04:54 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,586

good point hyz, however what test do you apply? i remember the tests from sr3, which were imho utter bullshit.
i once thought about having the PC make three test:

1. extended test on the ground for packing his parachute (of course you can always
buy a prepacked chute)
2. first jump test aka free fall movement ( can be skipped on standard jumps, but
HALOs and free fall stunts ala james Bond def. call for this)
3. chuted movement test, to determine how precise the jump will be.
4. landing test to determine werther your touchdown is gonna hurt or not.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Oct 1 2006, 05:46 PM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

Asking for too many tests is just making the player roll until they fail fatally. Here are the chances of failing one of a required number of tests:

CODE

chance to suceed on all tests
# of dice
     1         2    3       4
1  0.3400 0.1156 0.0393 0.0134
2  0.5511 0.3037 0.1674 0.0922
3  0.6992 0.4889 0.3418 0.2390
4  0.7985 0.6376 0.5091 0.4065
5  0.8650 0.7482 0.6472 0.5598
6  0.8824 0.7786 0.6871 0.6063
7  0.9394 0.8825 0.8290 0.7788
8  0.9594 0.9204 0.8831 0.8472
9  0.9728 0.9463 0.9206 0.8956
10 0.9818 0.9639 0.9464 0.9292

So someone with professional level parachuting (6 dice) has roughly a 40% chance to fail at least one of those 4 rolls. In general I'd limit parachuting tests as follows: roll 1 time. If you botch, something bad happens (now would be a good time to spend edge). If you fail, you have to make a body test vs some amount fo damage. If you suceed, you get where you want to go.

After all, the parachuting itself is not an important part of te run, it is either a complication or window dressing. Requring the players to roll until he fails, then cackling gleefully as his character makes a crater in the groud is just silly.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Oct 1 2006, 06:00 PM
Post #11

Uncle Fisty

Member No.: 6,928

We had a group full of characters w/ parachuting .They mostly used it for HALO jumps like hyzmarca described. They actually used it to try gettnig into the arc once. They;ve used it a few more times to get in to remote places like Amazonia and Alaska. They were also big fans of night gliders. Made for a neat game. We'd usually have them make 3-5 test, with one for jumping out (easy test, 1 success "woo-hoo, I fell out of a plane" :D ) then more tests for acutally maneuvering, like droping onto a building in Seattle in the middle of the night. Good times , good times.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Oct 1 2006, 07:01 PM
Post #12

Midnight Toker

I would prefer 1 test with something like grenade scatter rules, successes reduce the parachutter's scatter. The parachuter only suffers a rough landing on a glitch. On a critical glitch the parachuter is advised to try to land on something soft and otherwise put his head between his knees and kiss his ass goodbye.
It isn't impossible to resist falling damage from 10,000 meters but it is darn sure difficult.

PS.
Am I the only one who noticed that gravity in SR4 is more than 50% greater than gravity on our Earth? In SR4, falling objects accelerate at a rate of 16.6m/s^2 while Earth gravity is 9.8 m/s^2.

This would actually explain the absurd equipment weights of previous SR editions. Things weigh more because gravity is greater.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Oct 1 2006, 07:34 PM
Post #13

Uncle Fisty

Member No.: 6,928

I guess the damage values didn't seem hefty enough for falling.

Either that or the return of magic made gravity stronger, which would explain why so many of my players try to push their strength and body to six, even if it doesn't make sense for their character types. ;)

+Quote Post
kzt
post Oct 1 2006, 08:13 PM
Post #14

Great Dragon

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Three words, percision HALO insertions. Sometimes, going in the the door isn't an option and neither is tunneling in from above. In those cases it is helpful to have the parachute skill.

Also, one should not forget percision HALO extractions. Get on the same commercial flight as your extraction target, grab him, and pop the door open. Time it so that you have a boat or a ground team waiting below.

The issue with doing things like HALO or HAHO is that you need a rather large and capable multi-engine aircraft to do this. And if you have a tens of millions of dollar transport jet that you can whistle up to do this, you are not exactly running a typical 'PCs are criminals working as deniable assets' game. I could live in STYLE for the cost of the flight crew, maintenance crew and support contract on a jet.

Diving for infiltration is a lot less equipment heavy, as you can just use one of them $12,500 "opulent luxury yacht"s to get there.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Oct 1 2006, 08:24 PM
Post #15

Midnight Toker

There are such things as charter flights, and you really don't need a SOTA cargo jet. Any WWII propeller driven rustbuckets will work almost was well as they did during WWII.

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Oct 1 2006, 08:28 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

QUOTE (kzt)
The issue with doing things like HALO or HAHO is that you need a rather large and capable multi-engine aircraft to do this.  And if you have a tens of millions of dollar transport jet that you can whistle up to do this, you are not exactly running a typical 'PCs are criminals working as deniable assets' game.

You could probably also rent a private plane for a few hundreds buck and jump from a little lower height (say, 5000m).

+Quote Post
dog_xinu
post Oct 1 2006, 08:52 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,091

I have had more than one character use this skill. Not in SR4 but in SR2/3. I had one that jumped (based jumped) out of a 45th floor window of a building they were running in. I have jumped outof more than one plane and landed in a compound, or near a target or something. Would I say it is a common skill that most should have? nope but it worked for me.

As for swimming, it is like in D&D. If you dont have it, then you will need it, and if you have it, then you wont. I have done more than my fair share swimming. It is not always you are running in downtown Seattle with brick/concrete all around you. Or at least it wasnt for me.

dog

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Oct 1 2006, 08:54 PM
Post #18

Running Target

Member No.: 2,316

The point of a HALO though is that you fly higher then your enemies ground radar is looking up, then you bullet down towards the earth as fast as poosible to minimize the amount of time you spend in their "view' then open your chute just under their radar and hope there arent any eyes on teh ground watching or smaller radar systems looking for you. A HAHO is basically the same thing, flying up really high, so high you need to carry oxygen with you when you jump from the plane but this time you open your chute almost as soon as you jump then glide into enmey terroritory. I forget about how far you can glide but you can theoretically be dropped in international waters and glide into the US.

The problem with using any old rust bucket or jumping from 5000m is you are not achieving the goals of the HALO/HAHO jump. Your rust bucket will never get above the radar scan, and jumping from 5000m puts you right in the heart of the radar scan. So using your rust bucket or 5000m charter flight you might as well just by a ticket and land at the airport, itll be safer and you get to watch and inflight movie or set off flares as you parachute in, sort of like the Golden Eagles Army parachute team does when they do their arieal shows.

EDIT: Using your rust bucket or charter flight would be possible if you knew some people. Say you charter the plane to do somethign legal, or you bribe your way onto a legal flight, then jump while its on its legal route. That could work.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Oct 1 2006, 09:12 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
There are such things as charter flights, and you really don't need a SOTA cargo jet. Any WWII propeller driven rustbuckets will work almost was well as they did during WWII.

To do a HALO or HAHO jump, the plan is that the target not notice the aircraft. So you are typically jumping from high altitude (like 25,000 feet) at typical aircraft altitude. This way their radar doesn't show anything suspicious, like your plane flying directly over their facility at 5000 feet and 150 knots so you can safely unass the plane like they did in WW2.

This means you are jumping from an airplane moving at commercial flight speed and altitude. You can't just calmly jump out the side door of an airplane at 600 knots and 25,000 feet. For one thing, you can't open it unless you depressurize the plane: the doors open inward, against the tons of pressure difference. The other thing is that the wind is really intense at 600 knots and will most likely do really bad things to you as you bounce off the airplane (assuming you don't get sucked into the tail mounted engines).

Which is why people typically jump from the cargo ramp of planes designed to allow the cargo bay to be depressurized in flight.

If you can charter a plane to do this that would work, but they will have to know exactly what you are doing to fly the correct profile. And be willing to do things like depressurize the plane and open doors in flight. Not the kind of thing that insurers and licensing organizations like. Probably a small number of these operators, but if you have the right contacts, and enough money you could do it. But anyone who would fly this sort of mission is a pretty serious operator themselves, and it really won’t be cheap. (Expensive equipment + high risk + low competition = high cost)

With a HAHO jump you can also get a 20-40+ km offset, so the plane doesn't need to fly anywhere close to the target. It also allows you to do things like cross international borders that you might have difficulty getting permission to fly over. Guys with parachutes have a hell of lower signature than a cargo jet.

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Oct 1 2006, 09:15 PM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

We (at least I) are not talking about a jump in enemy territory with SOTA aerial defense.

Wikipedia lists the gliding distanve from a HAHO jump (8000 m) at about 30 miles.
Jumps from the rust buckets from WWII were at height of a few hundred feet.

A jump from a cessna or whatever from 5000m would still allow you to glide 15 miles or so.

The only problem I see with an insertion like this: in a time of levitate, easily aquired air transport or flying drones carrying a person, security for installations will most likely defend against intrusion from above.

+Quote Post
dog_xinu
post Oct 1 2006, 09:30 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,091

EDIT: Using your rust bucket or charter flight would be possible if you knew some people. Say you charter the plane to do somethign legal, or you bribe your way onto a legal flight, then jump while its on its legal route. That could work.

rust buckets, props, cesnas, etc can fly high enough to do the jumps. Most parachut schools use planes that are 20-30-50 years old. Doesnt need to go real fast (and probably shouldnt), and only has to get high enough for you to jump out, count to at least 3 before pulling the rip cord.

The only problem I see with an insertion like this: in a time of levitate, easily aquired air transport or flying drones carrying a person, security for installations will most likely defend against intrusion from above.

levitate is not that common. Ok it might be fairly common with mages, especially running mages but most people can not do it. As for drones, yeah they are out there but most of them will be Corps or LawEnforcement types. The average Joe can not afford to buy/maintain/control drones. I know riggers that are runners have them but the average joe doesnt.

Most security is against the widest breath of attacks (the average Joe). Now as a site/company ups it secuirty, it take the "average joe" defenses and adds to it.

Think about it this way. First you did when buying your house (or condo or getting your apartment) was change the locks on the doors. This defeats the common Joe. Then you might add a security system or a dog to the house (escalating to the next level of threat protection). But how many of us have on site armed guards, dogs, security systems, electronic and mechanical locks, video survaleince, etc in our homes? not many. Most of us have not past the mechanical locks on the doors/windows. Maybe to the dog or security system level. Remember as the site/company adds more security to the location the more of a beacon it becomes for people to come there to "do bad things" but also it costs more/month.

so depending on where you are going to, parachuting in would be an effective way to enter.. then again it may not.

dog

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Oct 1 2006, 09:54 PM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 2,316

I wasnt saying you cant jump from a rust bucket. I know jump schools use old planes, they are generally cheaper to buy them then new ones.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Oct 1 2006, 10:00 PM
Post #23

Great Dragon

QUOTE (dog_xinu)
rust buckets, props, cesnas, etc can fly high enough to do the jumps. Most parachut schools use planes that are 20-30-50 years old. Doesnt need to go real fast (and probably shouldnt), and only has to get high enough for you to jump out, count to at least 3 before pulling the rip cord.

These kinds of planes do easily go high enough to do parachute jumps, but HALO is not just a parachute jump. It's technique to get you to the ground without anyone noticing the airplane 5-7 miles up or the parachutists jumping out of it. On radar it looks just like another comercial flight, more or less. You get some offset from the target buy not much, so it's not used when flying over the target gets you shot down.

HAHO is a jump at those altitudes when you can't or won't fly near the target. Typical off-set ranges are 20-40 km, with some new gear promising 100 km+

These are both much more demanding than traditional static parachuting, with lots of ways things can go seriously wrong and either screw up the mission and/or get you severely messed up. They are used for getting into high threat areas where safer and less complex approaches, like a helo landing you on the target, won't work. Parachuting in a conventional low altitude drop is an easier and safer approach than HALO/HAHO.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Oct 1 2006, 10:36 PM
Post #24

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

nothing like hitching a ride on one of those permanent winds thats up there where the jets fly, with a parachute :P

+Quote Post
kzt
post Oct 2 2006, 02:39 AM
Post #25

Great Dragon

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
nothing like hitching a ride on one of those permanent winds thats up there where the jets fly, with a parachute :P

The running out of air and freezing solid part would sort of suck. . .

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:44 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.