Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Limit build skills
Garrowolf
post Oct 4 2006, 03:19 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,517

Since most devices have a rating that goes from 1-6, I have limited all build skills that produce a device with a rating to the lower of their build skill or whatever skill the device normally would use. For example you would use the lower of software or hacking to create hacking software. Now I could see a few exceptions made to this but I don't think you should be able to build something with a rating higher then the build skill. It just seems that in order to create a masterpiece it should take more then a long time in extended tests. There should be limits.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Oct 4 2006, 03:26 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

a few things things:

1) so i can't default to make a rating 1 object?

2) what about edge

3) why would the skill involved in using the item have matter?

[edit] 4) what about stuff you can build that doesn't actually have ratings per se? [/edit]

This post has been edited by Jaid: Oct 4 2006, 03:29 AM

+Quote Post
Garrowolf
post Oct 4 2006, 03:44 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Well I would never allow anyone to default to build something useful anyway. I just can't see someone that doesn't know what they are doing building something from scratch. Now I can see someone figuring out how to use an existing object because it's form would suggest it's function and use.

I don't know - can you suggest anything of any complexity that you could default to build? (obviously I'm not talking about clubs)

Edge might give you more successes on the test but not effect what you know how to build. It's not like you can get lucky and happen to know more programming for a second and then forget it later but I can see someone get into the zone and finish quickly.

Well I would think that if you know more about the use of a skill then you can more likely create something to help it. For example I might be able to build a crappy digital multimeter but I don't know enough about electricity yet to make one that would be better and more helpful because I don't know enough about what it is trying to read (yet!). This is one of the reasons that there is a Management Information Systems degree - the programmers needed more knowledge of the business side of things in order to write useful programs for business. They could write something before but it tended not to be as useful to businessmen because they didn't know what was needed.

As for things that don't have a rating I would suggest that the GM look at the skill rating table and eyeball a necessary skill level. Or don't worry about it for non rated devices.

The main focus of this was actually software because otherwise everyone would always have rating 6 software after a while with out progression or limits.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Oct 4 2006, 04:11 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

ummmm..... you're worried about *software*?

allow me to reassure you:

by the time your team hacker has finished writing all his rating 6 software, SOTA will have reduced whatever he started with to rating 1. or maybe a rating 0 program that only lets him default to skill.

and everyone else in the group will have already retired from shadowrunning (Assuming they're still alive of course).

and will have just *bought* their programs like any sane person, because they aren't even all that expensive, and they are all available at chargen at rating 6.

seriously, don't worry about your hacker writing his own software unless you have seriously modified the interval on those extended tests...

as far as examples of things people should be able to make crappy versions of:

rating 1 bow.
rating 1 explosives (bad idea i know, but certainly possible)

and various other random items, given access to appropriate knowledge skills, or possibly just step-by-step instructions from the matrix.

(for example, i have a cousin who built a directional mic when he was about 15 years old from components he bought in a store. and i assure you, he doesn't rate in at skill rating 1. as another example, i have built an electric motor from an appropriate kit, and once again, i don't have skill 1. with a good source of information, i bet you could make a lot of really simple stuff, provided you have instructions. given the frequent availability of instructions through the matrix, i think it would be much easier than you are suggesting).

+Quote Post
Geekkake
post Oct 4 2006, 04:38 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,372

Ultimately, it seems like Garrowolf is looking for ways to make mages even more powerful, and mundanes less. He should be playing Forgotten Realms or something.

+Quote Post
laughingowl
post Oct 4 2006, 04:50 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,895

Garrowolf:

First RAW:

Build / Repair doesn’t allow a character to 'make' something, he technically needs to plans, etc.

(page 125)
Note that by 'Build' we mean put together a new item / device from scratch, assuming the component parts are on hand.  Technical skills do not allow a character to create a new item / device from concept alone - that requires something along the line of engineering background and lots of collaborative effort.

Anyone with a base level of competence could assemble the Space shuttle given the tools and 'basic' constructions skills. Certainly far less the 'designing' it.

IF they character can get accurate plans for a Fairlight Excalibur (wireless commlink, relaying on old brand recognition for sales) and wants to put together an all 6 comm, then go far it, presuming they have the basic skills to follow a wiring diagram.

Although they will likely have to hack some pretty good systems to get the plans.

As always the rules are a little vague (GM discretion) but if you wanted toplay hardball you could make them almost totally worthless without very specific plans (AND the corresponding parts).

Now if you want to be a little more generous.

Allow the 'knowledge' skill XYZ Design.

This would allow the character to 'modify' designs to fit different parts / needs. This would allow the 'design' of a new system based of existing. Most commonly fitting 'upgraded' parts into a design. (larger engine then designed into your car, re-chambering a rifle for larger rounds, etc). (this would cover ‘upgrades’ that aren’t radically changing a design. (allow how much it allows things to be changed is GM discretion as always)

While knowing how to use a system can help design.... And being able to design a system does usually give some corresponding ability to use... they two are totally different skills.

Also, in regards to "It just seems that in order to create a masterpiece it should take more then a long time in extended tests. There should be limits."

I would strongly suggest looking for threads on 'limiting extend tests' a very common house rule is to limit extended test to a total number of 'tries' equal to the dice pool.

While the 'coding your own software' doesn’t state it, the section does state it uses the rules under using technical skills....

With your second post on being mostly at 'software'

!) Have you seen the intervals...... Even though 'interruptions' don’t break it (unless otherwise noted)... (note even ignoring the above that you cant create something 'new')

So we will take one of the easier one a 'common use' program.

Rating 6
Threshold: 6
Interval: 1 month.

So every 720 hours of actual work on coding the program, they programer can make a check.

So presuming our shadow runner is a wage slave and putting in 40 hours a week to his goal... ( he can make a check after 18 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!)

Now if he is very dedicated and work 20 hours a day (sleep regulator and eats at on the job) its 36 days (or just over 5 weeks ot totally focused work).

Now lets assume a low life style (and I would argue middle would be required to have the food 'delivered' and so truly 20 hours a day focused on coding). ¥2,00 per month.

Where as for 6*¥100 = ¥600 they could have bought a copy.

Well you say 'common use programs are dirt cheap"

So for A test of the Agent/Pilot/IC (the most expensive to buy at rating*¥2,500) its a 6 month interval...

Or 4,320 hours per test.

'wageslave' 40 hours per week equals 108 weeks OVER two yeas per test.
'Maximum' 20 hours per day equals 216 days per test!

IF the coder is good enough to get all 18 successes in one test.... then he MIGHT save a little bit for spending 7+ months of coding.... compared to spending the 7 months of cost of living on buying the program....

Rest assured ‘RAW’ there is no way characters are coding their own systems to rating 6, EVEN if they have a skill 7.

+Quote Post
Ranneko
post Oct 4 2006, 05:02 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,984

I always assumed that the month long test time was not literally a month of working on it 24/7, but it was more working on it 9-5 each day for a month.

+Quote Post
laughingowl
post Oct 4 2006, 05:32 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (Ranneko @ Oct 4 2006, 05:02 AM)
I always assumed that the month long test time was not literally a month of working on it 24/7, but it was more working on it 9-5 each day for a month.

That certainly could be 'an' interpertation.

And if you arent worried about programmers running wild probably not an unsafe one...

However...

The actual text from apge 58:

Unless otherwise noted, characters who are pursing Extended Tests can break off their work and return to it at a later time with no penalty.  The gamemaster must keep track of how much accumulated time the character spends on the task, calling for a test once the time equals the interval period.

WHile intent could easily be to allow sleep/meals as written it is actual time spent on task needed. so 6 month actually spend on the task.

Otherwise you hit problems.

1) can you take a 5 minute 'smoke' break in your one hour interval tasks?

2) if the interval is '1 day' yet you say that is planned as a '8' hour work day. Is it possible to make THREE tests in 'one day' by staying up 24 hours (long haul perhaps).

Obviously the GM is going to making judgement calls in alot of this... but IF worried about 'upgrading' to readily.... without housing ruling the rules any.... you surely arent doing software with any amount of reasonably time frame..... (and all other intervals are as of yet unspecified.... so free for the GM to base off these for the interval)

(edited to fix quote brackets)

+Quote Post
Garrowolf
post Oct 4 2006, 05:45 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

OK, I can see your point about defaulting so I guess would allow it for rating 1 devices. Thanks for the feedback!

I actually did lower the intervals on the programming tests but that is another subject.

The month long interval IS based on 9-5 days not 24/7.

I don't know what the SOTA rules are for SR4. If you do then please tell me. I was also using the skill requirement as a way of maintaining SOTA. You can't maintain SOTA on a program that you can't maintain in the first place.

I am using the requirement for having a skill as a limit for rating as a replacement for the 'needs plans' clause. I guess if someone wanted to do that then they could use the plans. I thought that that part was more to do with keeping PCs from building crazy things that aren't allowed.

Ultimately, it seems like Garrowolf is looking for ways to make mages even more powerful, and mundanes less. He should be playing Forgotten Realms or something.

Actually I have been finding ways of making all the characters more versitle and useful. I am trying to move away from jack of all trades characters and make more specialized characters the norm in my games. I want the magic users to have a function that is not just replaced by people with big guns (the AP thing). The flip side is that I took away the possiblity of a magic user casting more then one spell in a combat turn no matter his IPs. Increased Initiative will only make you shoot faster - not cast faster. I use an alternate magical traditions system that makes limited magic users the norm. I made it where it is easier to get foci but having too many will increase the drain cost on all spells! Mages loose all their magic at 3 essence and can take damage to any cyberware during ANY physical drain. I made it where drain is not recovered as fast as stun. Part of the reason for that was to make it so that EVERYONE can resist stun better. For everything that I did to make them more versitle and interesting I have also limited them more.
I use house rules that I think make Technomancers kick ass and the matrix make sense so I can actually remember what I need to roll. I slowed down drones so they don't outshine the PCs. I slowed down Street Samauri t make them gun kata types instead of speedsters.
Part of it is to fit my style of gaming and part of it is to remove some minmaxing - not cause it. I want everyone in my games to feel unique and useful so I try my best to give everyone a chance to shine. Many of my house rules are designed to do just that.

I appreaciate the help and the feedback but not the snide comments.

+Quote Post
laughingowl
post Oct 4 2006, 05:58 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (Garrowolf)
The month long interval IS based on 9-5 days not 24/7.

Garrowolf:

Can you provide any backing for the statement.

Now if 'The month interval is based on 9-5 days IN MY GAME" no need further backing.

But as quotesd from the BBB "the gamemaster must keep track of how much accumulated time the character spends on the task, calling for a test once the time equals the internval period"

Is pretty straightforward. TIME SPENT ON THE TASK....

Now I certainly agree that 1 week would be '40 hours' and a month '160' hours of 'hard time' would be a good start to reducing those.

But your statement imlies the book supports this where the rules are very explicit time spent on task must equal the interval period!

+Quote Post
Garrowolf
post Oct 4 2006, 06:42 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Um ... the dice mechanic supports what I'm saying. You are rolling per interval. period.

No where does it say that it is an endurance test to do these things. People have to eat and sleep. They are jumping up to the next unit of time for ease of use. If they wanted to make it that complicated I suppose they could declare the interval in increasing numbers of hours and never mention days and weeks.

If your under a day I can see keeping up how long they are working on something or you could say they lost a day to doing something else but beyond a day I think that there is some wiggle room for normal human functions.

Your over thinking it and it sounds like being a little cruel to your players.

Part of my idea for limiting software ratings is based on the forgery rules. I thought that they made sense and carried them over. I didn't just make them up.

I dropped the intervals on software considerably but increased the threshold. My reasoning was that I wanted any hacker characters to be spending excess time working on programs. If you make the interval too high then they would never bother and just buy it and that just breaks the feel of hackers for me.

I was even thinking of making it where there were no hacking programs for sale and you had to write your own that were designed around how you thought so they weren't much help to others. They were not user friendly either.

+Quote Post
laughingowl
post Oct 4 2006, 08:44 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

You are rolling per interval. period.

Nope you are actually rolling 'Once accummulate time spent on task equals the internval" (page 58 extend tests)

The GAME mechanics as written are clear. (now house rule is easy to do and some would say more balanced).

It clear you are going to state your house rules and state them as RAW, so trying to debate the 'RAW' rules is sort of pointless.

Ignoring the 'RAW' issue and addressing some of the concerns and house rules:

"I am using the requirement for having a skill as a limit for rating as a replacement for the 'needs plans' clause. I guess if someone wanted to do that then they could use the plans. I thought that that part was more to do with keeping PCs from building crazy things that aren't allowed."

"I dropped the intervals on software considerably but increased the threshold. My reasoning was that I wanted any hacker characters to be spending excess time working on programs. If you make the interval too high then they would never bother and just buy it and that just breaks the feel of hackers for me. "

That works, but does increases the chance of glitches (with more rolls), just remind the hacker that if they spend a few hours every night 'doing it' they will ultimately get there. If the 'time' is not right you can adjsut that, but 'lower' threshold and longer intenval is far better (from players prospecitve) then higher threshold and shorter interval (presuming overall time taken remains the same).

I will admit that the whole 'feel' of hackers is wrong in SR4, programs/deck play way to much of a roll (and are releatively cheap)...

A better soluition to me (and works on the 'buying the best' to) Limit a programs EFFECTIVE rating to the same as the appropriate skill of the user. (note this will make it far more likely that non-hacker' will use agents to 'do stuff' which they merely tell them to but I am fine with that).

So Dreklord take a bullet and drops.

John sammy picks up Dreklords comm and tries to continue getting the doors open.

Drek's Comm if full 6 and all programs 6.

However John is a merely a compotent hacker and nothing to brag about (computer group -3).

while Drek's 'exploit' program is the hottest out there, John lack of understanding keeps him from using the best functions. It can easily run John's simple brute force and 'common backdoor' checks with no sweat, John just doesnt know enough to use the more sophistcated functions and get all out of it.

John's really begins to panic when it looks like the Corp hacker comes online and becomes to move in. Desperatly John looks around for anything that can help. He see two Icons Labelled Sluggy and Kiki. A quick scan and he recognizes them as Agents. John quickly tells Sliggy to go play with the Corp-boy who showed up and Kiki to get that darn door open.

With a schnitk A bunny appears with a switchblade and goes for the corp type, while a small ferret is seen scurring into the computer desk.

(The Agents run at their full potential since not 'controlled' by the hacker, rather directed. (also the cost of agents+programs limit them to be used widely to get dirt cheap ok hackers)).

How many people here have seen photoshop used for nothing but to crop photos. 'The best' program and no skill does not equal moderate skills with moderate programs.

I am leaning towards the above in the next SR4 game I run, though a possible shorter is the old just limit sucess to skill*2. Though here rank novices still get benefit from going up to rank 6 programs, even if they wont ever be 'gods'.

Build/Repair is fairly weak in SR4 as far as rules and function (as written). It seem far more like d20 'craft' skills not realy intendted to 'make' stuff on a regular basis but more the example they use in the book. You are trapped in a house and X is about to happen, whatcha gonna do?

+Quote Post
Ranneko
post Oct 4 2006, 09:13 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,984

Depends, theoretically a low rating program could still do everything but have a terrible terrible interface and is also inefficient, and a high ranking program is powerful and has an intuitive interface. That is why the rating of a program is a rather abstract thing.

+Quote Post
Garrowolf
post Oct 4 2006, 09:30 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

hmmm ... I could see that. Skill limits your program rating. I like.

well in my group we decided that since anyone with a comm and some good programs could do some hacking we got rid of hackers. They exist as NPCs but they have become very specialized ( a common one in my game is SIN Deckers - they focus on building fake IDs and maintaining them for an upkeep price).

Then we made Technomancers better by allowing them to write normal code and use normal software with out the restrictions (the 'retro experience' comment) and normal skill use. Then they got Complex forms as a form of long term threading on top of those programs. You roll logic + hacking + software for most things in my version (or the appropriate skill) and compared it verses usually higher thresholds. The Technomancer got to add their complex form on top of that.

The limits were that the program they were modifying couldn't have a rating higher then their skill (ie you can't have a rating 6 program and a software and hacking skill of 4 each) because they didn't understand it as clearly. Then your complex forms were limited to half your resonance rounded up. This caused them to keep trying to increase their skills and resonance whereas before they couldn't figure out why they should bother much of the time because they could just use purchased software.

They were better then most hackers and they topped off higher but they weren't completely out of the ball park.

I also allowed them to buy sprites as a complex form on top of an agent with the same restrictions as a program. They had to pay for the entire rating (agent + complex form) in karma though. This means that they could have a lot of copies of an agent program but only have a few actual sprites. I threw out the services and limited time because it seemed too much like magic. I wanted them to shine in their own way.

On the flip side I got rid of all that stuff about wireless cyberware. Cyberware was connected to your CNS - not rigged remotely. You could hack a sammy's comm and get status reports on his cyberware but not take it over. (you could record what he saw though)

+Quote Post
laughingowl
post Oct 4 2006, 10:16 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Another thing I have seriousl considered doing for 'programs' (and perhaps most things with ratings).

Adjust the pricing to be Rating^2 * X Nuyen.

That scales much better and makes the 'best' expensive.

As it is now, if you are a rich boy, it very foolish to have anything but a 6 across the board, which CLEARLY is not whats intended.

Now if a rating 6 'common use' program was

Rating^2 * 25 = 900 is still 'cheap' but alot more reasonable for 'the best' available then the 500 that is standard.

Hell I could consider going with listed prices just changed to (rating^2).. Then again I come from the days when Hot deckers dreamed of a million+ nuyen deck.

+Quote Post
rangda
post Oct 4 2006, 03:02 PM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 9,107

QUOTE (laughingowl)
But as quotesd from the BBB "the gamemaster must keep track of how much accumulated time the character spends on the task, calling for a test once the time equals the internval period"

Is pretty straightforward.  TIME SPENT ON THE TASK.... 

If you try to act like a computer and interpert the statement literally I can see how you can come to this conclusion. However if you do then using 1 month ihntervals is IMPOSSIBLE w/o a house rule.

Using your logic I need to accumulate 1 month of work time before I get to make an extended test. OK, how many hours are there in a month???????? Do you use 30 days? How about 31? Maybe 28 or 29? Nowhere in the rules that I see does it say 1 month = x days (or hours) meaning it is impossible for you to apply cold computer logic and say after X hours you get a roll and really be applying the rules; you would have to house rule some number of hours to be your month interval.

Now take a step back for a minute; the section is obviously poorly worded. The author knew what they meant and therefore left some data to be inferred (a common mistake in game rules sadly). Unfortunately all of the proofreaders also knew what the author meant and nobody caught the poorly worded mechanic.

Do you think the author *really* meant literally x hours of work time (and forgot to specify how many hours are in a month) or do you think they meant 1 month of full time work (which in the business world is 160 hours, i.e. 20 8 hour days even though months usually have more work days than that). Remember you are stuck 'house ruling' no matter what you do. I suspect (although cannot prove) that the author meant 1 month of full time work (whatever that means), it is of course up to you to figure out what 1 month of full time work is since it is left appropriately vague in the rulebook. If the character is working on something in down time then it's easy, 2 months of downtime gives them 2 rolls. If they get their downtime in chunks, a few days here or there, it gets a lot trickier, then whenever you feel it's added up to a 'month' let them roll.

Now for my opinion; unless you run a game radically different from the one I play in only a complete and utter moron is going to try to design their own software (or spells), the intervals are just too long. (Therefore this argument is all meaningless because none of this will ever impact the game.) You are making a 1 (or 6 gah) month interval test where you can need upwards of 20 hits depending on what you do, even if you throw 15 dice at it you are talking 4 intervals on average. How many gm's give you months between runs? Mine certainly doesn't, the longest break we've had between runs is about 10 days. (Lots of times runs find us rather than us finding runs.) I see writing your own software/spells as a cool fluff thing, you can do it to be 'l33t' in your spare time but it isn't going to meaningully impact the game. Especially for software which is available at the local Stuffer Shack on the shelf.

[As an aside I am a software architect by trade and I'd say if anything the software intervals are too small and should be bigger if you want it to be 'real' (of course then no runner would ever write anything, even for fluff reasons). Which is why real software is done by teams not people. I guess you can say that the smaller intervals are due to higher levels of abstraction in whatever is used to write software and much more efficient (neural) data entry methods.]

+Quote Post
deek
post Oct 4 2006, 03:26 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,814

In my game, I limit all skill intensive rolls by skill. Matrix programs have an additional houserule that the program does nothing but set the cap to successes and instead the hacker rolls skill + attribute for tests.

So, a hacker wanting to break into a node on the fly (normally Electronic Warfare + Exploit program) would instead roll Electronic Warfare + Logic, with the Exploit program AND the E. Warfare skill as a limit to total successes.

This gives me a fine tuning capability. Someone with a 6 E. Warfare but using an Exploit 2, will only be able to get two success, showing that even though the hacker is awesome, the program limits their abilities. with a 2 E. Warfare but 6 Exploit, the program is top notch, but the hacker isn't able to use it as well, again limiting it to 2 total successes.

All in all, this has worked out quite nicely, and puts the hackers Logic back into the mix, as it should (picked the house rule up from Serbitar).

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Oct 4 2006, 04:38 PM
Post #18

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

In the past (previous editions), any interval past 1 day implied an 8-hour work day. There were even rules for putting in overtime. (up to four hours, I believe)
I think that if they had intended "1 month" to be 24-7 rather than 8 hour days, they would have said, "720 hours".
Now granted, assuming they meant 8-hour days, they could have said "240 hours" rather than "1 month", but then we would all be bitching about that, too.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Oct 4 2006, 08:53 PM
Post #19

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...For software coding, I think we have to wait until the UnWired supplement comes out. As with Matrix (SR3) and the Virtual Realities supplements in SR2, complete rules for software programming (which were not really detailed in the earlier BBBs either) were introduced.

I am sure that "Arsenal" will also expand on build and upgrade tests for non-matrix hardware as well.

This is part of why I am waiting until most of the major supplements to be released before setting up a campaign in SR4.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:35 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.