Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Skinlinks, Just what devices need it.
Fortune
post Oct 8 2006, 02:44 AM
Post #1

Immoral Elf

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,486

Alright, so given that this topic has probably been covered before, and also given that I am a self-admitted slack bastard and couldn't be bothered to use the Search feature ...

The topic is Skinlinks! :cyber:

Exactly what devices need to, or are even able to receive this modification?

For example, Quikdraw McBunny has a Rating 3 Commlink, Cybereyes with, among other things, a Smartlink modification, and a brace of 5 Ares Predators. He also has a Rating 5 Medkit, a Biometer, and 2 Flash-Paks.

Would he add the Skinlink adaption to ...

#1 ... the Commlink?
#2 ... each of the 5 Predators, the Medkit, the Biometer, and each Flash-Pak?
#3 ... the Smartlink accessory, plus the other electronics as in #2
#4 ... some other combination I haven't though of?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Oct 8 2006, 02:57 AM
Post #2

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

Add it to everything

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Oct 8 2006, 03:08 AM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

what devices *need* it? none.

what devices are able to take it? pretty much anything. so long as it has a device rating (and most things do, including clothes, tools, weapons, and so forth) you can add the skinlink feature to it. for certain items it may kind of defeat the purpose or be inefficient (for example, it would not be useful to skinlink the RFID tags stores use to track their inventory), but it can be done.

now then, as far as what you would put it on: well, first off, anything with a DNI is connected to your brain. you don't need a skinlink unless you want it to talk to other devices, because you can just control it directly from your brain (you should probably just shut off the wireless though). further, DNI devices can talk to each other as well, or such is my understanding.

the cybereyes wouldn't need a skinlink. it is, however, a good idea, because you may want to record or transmit information from them to other devices (like the commlinks of other people in your team). personally, i often take care of stuff like that with a datajack that has a skinlink, since the jack connects to all your other cyber, and can just transmit any data needed. and on to the specifics:

1) probably. if you're going to bother skinlinking anything else, it's a pretty good bet you're gonna want that something else to be able to talk to your commlink. since skinlinked devices can only talk to other skinlinked devices (well, assuming you turn wireless off that is, which most seem to do), your commlink should always have skinlink just cause it's so relatively cheap, and it may come in handy.

2) again, probably for the predators. you don't have to, but if you want your smartlink to be inaccessable to hackers from a distance, it would be a good idea. then again, you may want wireless functionality sometimes as well. certainly, the skinlink's immunity to jamming is a plus though, so i would say yes. the medkit, i wouldn't bother personally... generally speaking, you're gonna be using it when you're in a safe location. that being said, i could certainly see it as a possibility... i just don't personally really see the need is all. biometer, probably yes, connected to your skinlink so it can talk to your commlink, which hopefully can talk to something with a DNI (trodes with a skinlink for example, or a datajack with skinlink). 2 flashpacks? probably not. unless you plan to be touching them when you set them off, that is.

3)not as such, no... i don't think you can skinlink just a part of the cybereye. you could skinlink the eye itself, i suppose. if you didn't have some kind of DNI/skinlink connection, it would in fact be necessary i suppose.

4) honestly, skinlink is so cheap, just put it on anything where you think the added protection from hacking and jamming is useful, and you're gonna be holding it in your hand to use it. skinlink airburst grenades? of course not. hand grenades might not be a bad idea (you lose ability to detonate other than by timer or proximity, but the grenade can't be hacked at least). if you're going to bother skinlinking one thing in your PAN, you may as well skinlink everything in your PAN, is my rule of thumb. it's like camo gear: you don't wear a camo jacket with fluorescent yellow spandex pants and expect to be hard to spot. similarly, skinlinking only half your PAN leaves half of it sitting out in the open, visible and half of it hidden. what's the point.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Oct 8 2006, 06:13 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

QUOTE (Fortune)
Alright, so given that this topic has probably been covered before, and also given that I am a self-admitted slack bastard and couldn't be bothered to use the Search feature ...

The topic is Skinlinks! :cyber:

Exactly what devices need to, or are even able to receive this modification?

For example, Quikdraw McBunny has a Rating 3 Commlink, Cybereyes with, among other things, a Smartlink modification, and a brace of 5 Ares Predators. He also has a Rating 5 Medkit, a Biometer, and 2 Flash-Paks.

Would he add the Skinlink adaption to ...

#1 ... the Commlink?
#2 ... each of the 5 Predators, the Medkit, the Biometer, and each Flash-Pak?
#3 ... the Smartlink accessory, plus the other electronics as in #2
#4 ... some other combination I haven't though of?

Skinlink lets your body "complete the circuit" between other Skinlink enabled devices also touching your body so they can share data.

So a Skinlinked Ares 4, could share data with your Skinlinked Cybereyes or Skinlinked Commlink.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 8 2006, 06:28 PM
Post #5

Immoral Elf

I understand what a Skinlink does, but was having trouble figuring out just what devices would be appropriate for adaption.

If a Commlink is connected to a Datajack (wired), and thus to Cybereyes, would any of those components actually need to be Skinlinked to communicate with a Skinlinked Predator?

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Oct 8 2006, 06:36 PM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 948

One does NOT need to skinlink cyberware in order to share data with a skinlinked device - only the device in question need a skinlink.

The skinlink completes the circuit so that NON-DNI equipment can be DNI controlled. Having a Skinlink on external equipment like a commlink, pistol etc allows you to connect to the gear without having to connect any cables to a datajack for example and give mental command to the gun/smartgun link.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 8 2006, 06:50 PM
Post #7

Immoral Elf

Ok, so given my first example, with Quikdraw McBunny's gear list (commlink, 5 predators, cybereyes, other electronics), if he was hardwired to the commlink through a datajack, he would only have to Skinlink the peripheral gear (like the guns) that he wanted to use in that manner? He would NOT need to Skinlink any Cyberware OR the Commlink itself?

+Quote Post
Tekumel
post Oct 8 2006, 09:21 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 8,581

QUOTE (Fortune)
Ok, so given my first example, with Quikdraw McBunny's gear list (commlink, 5 predators, cybereyes, other electronics), if he was hardwired to the commlink through a datajack, he would only have to Skinlink the peripheral gear (like the guns) that he wanted to use in that manner? He would NOT need to Skinlink any Cyberware OR the Commlink itself?

Correct.

And would there be any reason to skinlink a Medkit or Flashpaks? The Biometer I could understand, so you could monitor your vitals, but the other two would be spotty at best...I mean, really, do you need to see the Medkit's supply inventory so bad that you can't open the cover to look, or look at a screen? And what would a Flashpak skinlinked do? Flash "NOPE, NOT A DUD!" on your AR view after it runs diagnostics?

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Oct 8 2006, 09:25 PM
Post #9

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

how about this for flashpak and other trown items:

arm it while in contact with skinlink, 5 seconds or so after it have left skinlink it goes of :P

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Oct 8 2006, 09:35 PM
Post #10

Runner

Adding a skinlink to a flashpack MIGHT be useful if you got the skinlink connector attached to a wire so that you could wear the Flashpack on your chest and having it connected to your PAN. The reason for this is simple, wireless "detonation" of the flashpack while holding a gun in each hand or other item.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Oct 8 2006, 11:42 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

QUOTE (The Jopp)
One does NOT need to skinlink cyberware in order to share data with a skinlinked device - only the device in question need a skinlink.

The skinlink completes the circuit so that NON-DNI equipment can be DNI controlled. Having a Skinlink on external equipment like a commlink, pistol etc allows you to connect to the gear without having to connect any cables to a datajack for example and give mental command to the gun/smartgun link.

what are you talking about?

if you want your cyber to talk to a skinlinked device, then the cyber itself would need to be skinlinked or would need to be connected to something else that is skinlinked. you need a skinlink to receive as well as to transmit.

so if you want your cybereyes to communicate with a skinlinked comm (assuming you turned off wireless, without which skinlink is mostly pointless), you either must skinlink the cybereyes, or have them connected to something that *is* skinlinked (like a skinlinked datajack), otherwise how can the cybereyes transmit and receive information through the skinlink?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 8 2006, 11:45 PM
Post #12

Immoral Elf

Couldn't you still wirelessly activate the Flash-Pak worn on your chest without a Skinlink attachment. It (as pretty much everything else) should have a wirleless connection, so it could be subscribed.

Hobgoblin has the right of it in regards to Skinlinking Flash-Paks. I can see quite a few uses for peripheral electronics that are wireless to have a Skinlink feature.

It would really mess someone's day up if they were using a Medkit to recover from really bad damage, and a hacker chose that moment to mess with its function.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 8 2006, 11:47 PM
Post #13

Immoral Elf

Why would you need a Skinlink when the signal is already being processed through DNI?

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Oct 9 2006, 12:29 AM
Post #14

Great Dragon

how does the signal get to the DNI?

for example, let's suppose someone has a smartlinked gun and is wanting to get the signal from the gun accessory to their cybereyes, by skinlink.

so first, the accessory is presumably connected to the gun directly (that is, it is not wireless). now you put a skinlink on the gun so that when you hold the gun in your hand, you have a path for information to anywhere else on your body. now where does it go? you want to get it to your cybereyes, right? well, how does it get there? it needs to either pass through a DNI somewhere, or your cybereyes must be skinlink-capable. sure, your cybereyes are already connected with DNI, but the problem is not between your cybereyes and DNI, it's between the skinlink and the DNI. thus, you would need a pathway across the skinlink to something that allows DNI... for example, a skinlinked datajack, skinlinked trodes, or even some other skinlinked cyber i guess. but without some kind of gateway between your DNI system and the skinlink, the signal cannot travel from the gun to your eye.

thus, you might skinlink your eye (which seems silly, but i can't see any reason it wouldn't work), or you might skinlink a datajack (why not?) or you might skinlink your commlink, which is connected to a set of trodes or something by a wire... but ultimately, you do need some sort of device to transfer data from your skinlink to your DNI.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 9 2006, 02:56 AM
Post #15

Immoral Elf

What you say makes sense, and I could easily see it as working exactly that way. I'd really like to hear a rebuttal from someone who looks about it in a different light though, as I am only borderline-convinced. No offence, because as I said, your argument does make sense.

In any case, a further question to muddy the waters (or maybe not) ...

Would, or could a Touch Link be made to be of any use in this case.

As an aside, why would I want a Touch Link (or the dumb glove things) in the first place? I can grasp what they do (manipulate shit in AR), but can't you do that with thought anyway? I mean, does everyone have to wear those stupid glove things to go shopping or flip through a restaurant's menu?

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Oct 9 2006, 03:08 AM
Post #16

Great Dragon

touchlink simply allows you to feel AROs, and to experience the touch track of simsense.

in the event that you already have access to simsense (say, in the form of a sim module connected to a DNI) then a touchlink is useless.

the gloves allow you to manipulate AROs. in the event that you have DNI connection to the matrix, then you are absolutely correct about the gloves being useless. given the common nature of trodes and datajacks, i expect the gloves are not terribly common.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Oct 9 2006, 03:24 AM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

QUOTE (Fortune)
What you say makes sense, and I could easily see it as working exactly that way. I'd really like to hear a rebuttal from someone who looks about it in a different light though, as I am only borderline-convinced. No offence, because as I said, your argument does make sense.

Cyberware is mentioned to have a wireless interface and an implied DNI interface, howerver there is no mention of a default Skinlink interface.

Now, it's easy to have a "Skinlink interface" that connects all DNI to the Skinlink but the fact it's excluded makes me wonder if Cyberware has an implied Skinlink interface.

I'm more inclinded to just allow Cyberware to have native Skinlink interfaces.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Oct 9 2006, 03:36 AM
Post #18

Great Dragon

why would they include a cyberware "skinlink interface"? did you see any "skinlink interface" modification that works only on commlinks? how about one that only works for weapons? or any number of other things?

there exists a modification that can be applied to any electronic device. printing a special modification for each type of device is not a good use of space in the book, any more than putting in separate entries for pistol ammo, rifle ammo, SMG ammo, etc would be a good use of space.

why would they need to specifically state that cyberware doesn't have skinlink built in? they didn't say that for any other device either, but that doesn't mean that every single device you see has skinlink unless otherwise mentioned. why would cyber be any different?

now then, if you want a DNI/skinlink interface, it's called a datajack with skinlink. alternately, as i said, you could even use pretty much any kind of cyber with a DNI that sits on or touches your skin (cybereyes, ears, cyberlimbs, and so forth). just pay the 50 :nuyen: extra for skinlink and you're good to go.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Oct 9 2006, 04:26 AM
Post #19

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

I think the touch link is supposed to allow you to get touch based feedback while still in AR. VR has full sensory feedback by default, but AR is normally just video + sound. You only need the AR gloves if you are not using a DNI enabled device. A set of 'trodes, for example, will work just as well.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 9 2006, 05:05 AM
Post #20

Immoral Elf

Ah, ok, thanks. So I was pretty much right in that almost nobody would use them, most people being connected via DNI (trodes or jack). That's cool.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Oct 9 2006, 07:46 AM
Post #21

Runner

QUOTE (Jaid)
why would they include a cyberware "skinlink interface"? did you see any "skinlink interface" modification that works only on commlinks? how about one that only works for weapons? or any number of other things?

Hmm...after reading through the Skinlink description it seems that you are right. ANY device including cyberware need it in order to communicate through the skin/flesh - still, can implanted gear do it without a datajack? If i have something implanted in my brain how would a skinlink help me, does it need contact with actual skin or just flesh?

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Oct 9 2006, 03:17 PM
Post #22

Great Dragon

my understanding is that you are using an electrical field that exists on top of your skin. i don't really know for sure if it extends below the skin also, and if that could be used. personally, i would allow implants that are in your skin, touching it, or above it. i probably wouldn't allow, say, wired reflexes to be connected in.

in the event that dermal plating had a good reason to have electronics in it, i suppose i would allow that...

+Quote Post
kigmatzomat
post Oct 9 2006, 04:17 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

From: Louisville, KY (Well, Memphis, IN technically but you won't know where that is.)
Member No.: 7,626

The short form is that you should probably get your data jack skin linked to act as a bridge between your DNI-cyber and your skin linked external devices. After all, it would already do that functionality as a gateway between internal and external devices over fiber optic.

As to why you might skin link a medkit or equip it with wireless, there's the chance you might need at least one hand to keep a sucking chest wound shut.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Oct 9 2006, 04:43 PM
Post #24

Great Dragon

medkits are by default wireless, just like any other device. hands-free is already built in.

+Quote Post
Garrowolf
post Oct 10 2006, 04:16 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,517

does skinlink give anyone else the creeps? I don't know why but the thought of wires running under my skin doesn't creep me out nearly as much as using my bioelectric field as a network. I'm mean how is that effecting your CNS?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:37 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.