IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nuclear Explosions, Are they consistent?
The Canterbury T...
post Oct 11 2006, 10:57 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,182

Okay. Lone Wolf incident, the nuclear warheads fail to detonate properly, no one knows why.

Winternight's nuclear weapons placed on fault lines and tectonically unstable areas. Fail to detonate properly, no one knows why. Hinted at that either something about the sixth world means old style nuclear weapons just aren't functional any more or someone or something is affecting them to prevent them from going off.

However, Cermak blast in Chicago 2055, the nuclear device goes off as planned and functions as planned.

Are these contradictory or is something else going on here? Is there a force that stops bad nukes, but allows good ones (in laymans terms :) )?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Oct 11 2006, 11:22 AM
Post #2

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

No one knows why Lone Eagle failed to detonate. It might have been a super-secret anti-balistic missile system created by the Soviet Union or it might have just been a dud (the thing about bombs is that you can't be sure that they'll work untill they work). It could have been improperly armed, for that matter.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Oct 11 2006, 11:37 AM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

QUOTE (The Canterbury Tail)
However, Cermak blast in Chicago 2055, the nuclear device goes off as planned and functions as planned.

Heh. Not quite as planned, no.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Oct 11 2006, 11:50 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

There are several odd nuke-related incidents, true, but I find it a rather silly idea that somehow collisions between free neutrons and Pu239 nucleii happen differently in the 6th world.

+Quote Post
The Canterbury T...
post Oct 11 2006, 01:13 PM
Post #5

Target

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Oct 11 2006, 11:37 AM)
QUOTE (The Canterbury Tail @ Oct 11 2006, 10:57 AM)

No? I thought it did work properly. I'll have to re-read on that.

Edit: Oh right I get it. But the nuke itself works. Doesn't it?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 11 2006, 01:38 PM
Post #6

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

I can't check, since I've got a moratorium on reading Bug City-related material at least until my character escapes the city, but I seem to remember the blast not working correctly—it still detonated, but I'm pretty sure there was something wrong with the detonation.

~J

+Quote Post
Hell Hound
post Oct 11 2006, 01:39 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,360

Okay. Lone Wolf incident, the nuclear warheads fail to detonate properly, no one knows why.

Winternight's nuclear weapons placed on fault lines and tectonically unstable areas. Fail to detonate properly, no one knows why. Hinted at that either something about the sixth world means old style nuclear weapons just aren't functional any more or someone or something is affecting them to prevent them from going off.

Are these contradictory or is something else going on here? Is there a force that stops bad nukes, but allows good ones (in laymans terms :) )?

I think its in Shadows of North America that one shadow post claims that the SAIM activists disabled the Lone Eagle's warhead because they never intended to nuke anyone, just bluff the US.

The Cermak Blast did not go exactly as planned. It occured inside the partially prepared magical barriers of an Insect Spirit hive which it seems confined the blast. The center of the explosion retained lethal levels of radiation but about fifty meters away it was safe to walk around without protection.

The Winternight bombs, according to the fluff text in System Failure, didn't have a problem detonating but they weren't as powerfull as they should have been (similar in that sense to the Cermak Blast).

As for bad stuff with nuclear power, there are also several reactors that have partially or fully exploded in SR history. The Cattenoom reactor meltdown that created the SOX, Glow City in Seattle, the Dunreay reactor explosion which was responsible for the Scottish Irradiated Zone and the Yarrow Reactor meltdown that created the Northern Irradiated Zone in England.

The only incident of successfull use of a Nuke that I can think of is the one Isreal dropped on Libya, however that occured in 2004, well before the Awakening.

Is it consistent? Not too sure. There are other reactors operating in the SR world that haven't blown up (although earlier fiction says they are Fusion reactors rather than Fission reactors, which might make a difference) and I don't know of any other nuclear exchanges that have taken place in SR history.

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Oct 11 2006, 03:07 PM
Post #8

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
There are several odd nuke-related incidents, true, but I find it a rather silly idea that somehow collisions between free neutrons and Pu239 nucleii happen differently in the 6th world.

Why the problem, they can get fusion reactors working, so maybe the return of magic does affect quantum and sub atomic physics some.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Oct 11 2006, 03:15 PM
Post #9

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...thus magic is now even more powerful than nukes? Great....[in a sarcastic sense of course]

Time for a Thor Shot.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Oct 11 2006, 03:21 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Oct 11 2006, 11:37 AM)
QUOTE (The Canterbury Tail @ Oct 11 2006, 10:57 AM)

No? I thought it did work properly. I'll have to re-read on that.

Edit: Oh right I get it. But the nuke itself works. Doesn't it?

It might be helpful for those interested to peruse the relevant sections of System Failure for more on nukes not working.

As far as it goes, sufficiently advanced magic can disable nukes. Example: Secrets of Power Trilogy Book III, Find Your Own Truth.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Oct 11 2006, 04:13 PM
Post #11

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

I've gotten the vague impression that what is affecting nuclear devices might actually be a conscious magical effort. Likely meaning dragon. Potentially Lowfyr and if not definately with Lowfyr's knowledge or partial knowledge.

Or potentially that part of the energy/matter generated from a nuclear fission is diverted and crosses the physical/astral. With the diversion of some of the energy the result of the chain reaction isn't going to be as great. To the point that previous detonations capable of reaching critical mass, meaning a runaway chain reaction (i.e. explosion), may not reach this. The problem with the later is that normally this would become very, very noticable the calibration of things like geiger counters and all other matter of instruments that are based on measuring the results of atomic decay would be off. So it wouldn't be a simple bleeding off, but something that would require reaching a threshhold of activity locally before bleeding off the matter/energy into the astral.

But why would nuclear reactors do the opposite? Have reactions partially run away when they would normally be controled? Well a power plant meltdown typically actually a nuclear explosion. What normally happens heating steam to a pressure level that the vessles containing it cannot withstand and/or melting the physical components that normally contain the radioactive material. So they aren't reaching critical mass in the sense that a bomb does.

Quite obviously fusion operates on a very, very different fundemental mechanic so it not being affected is perfectly sensible. EDIT:In a relative way. 8)

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Oct 11 2006, 04:33 PM
Post #12

Bushido Cowgirl

...however, this would also mean that a chain reaction would still be possible in a null magic area.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Oct 11 2006, 05:37 PM
Post #13

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

Wasn't Kasmirt (aka Kasmir Wastes) nuked as well? And there was some sort of incident in China IIRC, at a nuke lab there. I also know there was one in the novel Ragnarok, but I don't remember that one too clearly. Read it a long time ago. I don't think that one detonated, but they sure expected it to.

Obvisouly there's something different once the mana levels involved. Remember the Dunkelzhan bequest?

+Quote Post
BrianL03
post Oct 11 2006, 05:52 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,504

How big of an irradiated area, really, are Glow City and SOX? I'm considering making a similar section over here in Illinois, UCAS, close enough to pre-Bug City Chicago for potential runs, but far enough away that I potentially won't be dealing with prevailing winds.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 11 2006, 06:21 PM
Post #15

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

The SOX is somewhat bigger than the Saarland, which is 2570 km^2.

~J

+Quote Post
The Canterbury T...
post Oct 11 2006, 06:31 PM
Post #16

Target

Thinking about it though, the nuclear detonation on Winternight's hideaway worked okay didn't it?

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Oct 11 2006, 06:50 PM
Post #17

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

nukes in SR work under the formula of P+L+O+T, not E=MC2...

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Oct 11 2006, 08:11 PM
Post #18

Bushido Cowgirl

...guess I'll just have to make them work with the formula:

h + r <> SRc

where h represents house, r represents rule and SRc represents Shadowrun canon.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Oct 12 2006, 12:25 AM
Post #19

Dragon

QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...however, this would also mean that a chain reaction would still be possible in a null magic area.

What entirely magic devoid zones are there? I believe canon is largely silent, and correct me if I'm wrong, on the ramificatons of targeting into or across the location of a mana warp form outside of it. No, the big problem with conscious magic is the near-omnipotence required.

The second of a natural breakthrough from physical to astral suffers from neither.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Oct 12 2006, 12:26 AM
Post #20

Uncle Fisty

uhhh.... space? the fovae?

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Oct 12 2006, 12:31 AM
Post #21

Bushido Cowgirl

...thank you.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Oct 12 2006, 12:34 AM
Post #22

Dragon

Entirely? Not to mention that fovae aren't exactly common. EDIT: Actually I'm not sure if there is any mention of them existing outside of Aztlan. There is no known testing of the theory by nuking Aztlan. ;)

And who gives a damn if a nuke goes off in far space?

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Oct 12 2006, 12:43 AM
Post #23

Uncle Fisty

Aztlan hasnt let anyone test the fovae, and IIRC, they were supposed to be some sort of result of blood magic. I think it was the DH trilogy that talked about how the temples were essentially for astral mapping, partly to help find the loci. As for nuking to test it, well there's a few cities maybe we could do without. :D

As for nuking space .... Z-O, Daedalus, S-K moon base, the name of science? All "reasons" to set a nuke off. Wonder what that would do to the Earth below...?

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Oct 12 2006, 01:09 AM
Post #24

Dragon

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Aztlan hasnt let anyone test the fovae, and IIRC, they were supposed to be some sort of result of blood magic. I think it was the DH trilogy that talked about how the temples were essentially for astral mapping, partly to help find the loci. As for nuking to test it, well there's a few cities maybe we could do without. :D

As for nuking space .... Z-O, Daedalus, S-K moon base, the name of science? All "reasons" to set a nuke off.

You are aware that you could theoretically cast spells on the Z-O if you could survive the drain? I believe it has been postulated on this board that what's-his-name vampire with his Essense Focus could potentially pull it off.
Wonder what that would do to the Earth below...?

Totally lost in the background noise.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Oct 12 2006, 01:16 AM
Post #25

Uncle Fisty

of course, and filtering makes it easier. I mentioned it because now space is described as a mana void, an absence of mana, rather than a mana warp as before.

Totally lost in the background noise.

That's kinda what I was thinking, since the ozone already blocks so much solar radiation. But what if it was say low Earth orbit? How far would the blast carry in space? Does it require oxygen to go nuclear? That sort of thing.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:03 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.