IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Colonel Keiji Saito, All about the WEST SIDE!
ChicagosFinest
post Oct 19 2006, 05:23 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,422

Anyone have a clue as to what happned to Colonel Keiji Saito and his protectorate? It doesnt say anything about him in SF (System Failure) and when you look at the history lesson in SR4 it says him and the protectorate are gone. Its kind of an anti-climactic way to end someone who was featured in Threats 2 afterall Dankwalther got hit by a Thor Shot.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Oct 19 2006, 05:52 PM
Post #2

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

The thing was that Saito was always an anti-climax. He was just a fascist. Whoopdy-doo. He was also in control of part of a country that we've been assured by the rst of the setting has a failed economy that has fallen out of favor with the rest of the world and no longer matters internationally.

So he was sitting on less than 20 million people in a backwater, and intended to murder a bunch of them as part of a bid to maintain his ironfisted control. Does that sound like Nepal to you? Is Nepal a threat to the world order? If the brutal monarch of Nepal was overthrown tomorrow, would you even care? What about Myanmar? Do you give a flying fuck one way or the other?

The fact is that by Shadowrun villainy standards, Saito was always small fry. He never deserved a chapter in Threats 2. He was just an asshole. Shadowrun has lots of assholes.

The government of Myanmar is oppressing twice as many people as Saito was right now and killing more people in manners which are more barbaric. Do they get into Threats 2? Hellz no!

Yeah, you got to the end of the Saito chapter in Threats 2 and you said "That's it? He's just a big meany-face? He's not trying to turn off the sun or rain nuclear fire on the Yucatan? So fucking what?" Saito ended like he began - a "who cares?" in the annals of shadowrun history.

-Frank

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Oct 19 2006, 06:13 PM
Post #3

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

I've actually knid of liked that some things can end anit-climatically in SR. Varies thigns up a lot. Besides, if your GM ran the game where your PC's were the ones that took him out, it wouldn't be anti-climatic to you. Hell, in our game, he was rumored to have commited sepaku when rebel groups started organizing and fighting back. But what really happened, and is rumored in the shadows, was that he was assassinated, and no one knows whodunnit. There are things that people shouldn't know IMO, keeps the mystery. I'm sure they'll give some sort of info on the resolution eventually. But hell, jsut make it up if you want, and work it in to your own game.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Oct 19 2006, 06:55 PM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

There are things that people shouldn't know IMO, keeps the mystery. I'm sure they'll give some sort of info on the resolution eventually.

If it ever gets mentioned again, I'd prefer just a few shadowtalk rumors. I like leaving some things with fuzzy resolutions, for the same reason you mentioned. Unless San Francisco gets some major detail in the future, I don't see much reason for us to definitively answer that plot, since it's not going to be used for a plot product release.

+Quote Post
fool
post Oct 19 2006, 08:41 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,316

Does that sound like Nepal to you? Is Nepal a threat to the world order? If the brutal monarch of Nepal was overthrown tomorrow, would you even care?

Uh dude, the ironfisted monarch of nepal got "overthrown" about 4-5 months ago through nonviolent protests.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 19 2006, 09:18 PM
Post #6

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (fool)
Does that sound like Nepal to you? Is Nepal a threat to the world order? If the brutal monarch of Nepal was overthrown tomorrow, would you even care?

Uh dude, the ironfisted monarch of nepal got "overthrown" about 4-5 months ago through nonviolent protests.

Did many people outside of Nepal care?

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Oct 19 2006, 09:32 PM
Post #7

Uncle Fisty

well, I did.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 19 2006, 09:35 PM
Post #8

Immoral Elf

A whole lot?

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Oct 19 2006, 09:36 PM
Post #9

Uncle Fisty

.... a bit .... I read about it! ....Twice!

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Oct 19 2006, 09:40 PM
Post #10

Prime Runner

If the revolution to remove the king from power (which, btw, is still going on right now, 12 hours ago the King missed a deadline to explain the massacre of a non-violent pro-democracy rally to parliament and they are taking it as an excuse to ramp-up legal proceedings against him) had gotten an entire chapter of Threats 2, would you have been perplexed?

-Frank

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Oct 19 2006, 09:45 PM
Post #11

Uncle Fisty

I think it was included because he went rogue from the Japanese military after the rest of them went home, and they had to update the situation. Otherwise you would have heard more about the issues with the monarchy in Spain as well. It probably could have been in one of the SOTA books , but needed a bit more space.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Oct 19 2006, 10:18 PM
Post #12

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

QUOTE (Fortune)
A whole lot?

Yep.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 19 2006, 10:26 PM
Post #13

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (Grinder)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Oct 19 2006, 11:35 PM)
A whole lot?

Yep.

Fair enough. :)

Without making this a political debate, does it make your list of the top eight most important and/or dangerous threats in existance over the last 5 years?

Keeping things equated to Shadowrun, were looking at a book (or more properly, electronic document archive) concerning eight (I think, but maybe ten) of the biggest threats to humanity, at least from a slightly UCAS-biased point-of-view. Do you really think that something on the scale of the Nepal affair would rate an equal mention in such an account?

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Oct 19 2006, 10:28 PM
Post #14

Great, I'm a Dragon...

To me, Colonel Saito was just one of the many facist, racist dictators of the 6th World. He had a "interesting" backstory and the fact that he grabbed a beautiful city like San Francisco got him a lot of attention.
I'm sure a whole sourcebook could be written about facist regimes of the 6th World, but would it be that interesting in the long run? Saito was one example of it and thus fit good into Threats. That's it.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Oct 19 2006, 10:30 PM
Post #15

Great, I'm a Dragon...

QUOTE (Fortune)
Without making this a political debate, does it make your list of the top eight most important and/or dangerous threats in existance over the last 5 years?

Keeping things equated to Shadowrun, were looking at a book (or more properly, electronic document archive) concerning eight (I think, but maybe ten) of the biggest threats to humanity, at least from a slightly UCAS-biased point-of-view. Do you really think that something on the scale of the Nepal affair would rate an equal mention in such an account?

You're right about this, but maybe the fact that it happened in Gods Own Country made it more disturbing for the (mainly) UCAS-based posters at Shadowland? ;)

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Oct 19 2006, 10:37 PM
Post #16

Prime Runner

Personally I would love to see a sourcebook "Under the Boot" about regions of the 6th world under fascist rule. The real, humanizing element of the fact that the horror is all done by self-interested humans who believe that they are behaving rationally would really perspectivize it all and put it into the ballpark where shadowrunners could be major players.

But I think it's dishonest to portray any of these areas as a major threat to the world.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Oct 19 2006, 10:43 PM
Post #17

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Good point - and I would love to see a book aobut a new dictatorship in ADL, but taht's a different topic.

But as I said above, the UCAS-based posters may have seen Saito as a threat to the world. It happened in the home of the old USA and given the self-centric world view of some people...

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 19 2006, 10:55 PM
Post #18

Immoral Elf

That's a fair point as well.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Oct 19 2006, 10:59 PM
Post #19

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Thank you :)

+Quote Post
kzt
post Oct 19 2006, 11:01 PM
Post #20

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

QUOTE (Grinder)
But as I said above, the UCAS-based posters may have seen Saito as a threat to the world. It happened in the home of the old USA and given the self-centric world view of some people...

Nah, Satio was a threat to Japan. I assumed the IJA GS 2nd Bureau finally waxed his ass to deter others.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Oct 19 2006, 11:02 PM
Post #21

Great, I'm a Dragon...

He was a shame for Imperial Japan and its army, but not a threat.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Oct 19 2006, 11:24 PM
Post #22

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

QUOTE (Grinder)
He was a shame for Imperial Japan and its army, but not a threat.

He was an example that you could get away with mutiny.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Oct 20 2006, 12:02 AM
Post #23

The back-up plan

Member No.: 3,910

Which if it's the right people, can be a threat...

+Quote Post
Lagomorph
post Oct 20 2006, 12:33 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,832

QUOTE (McQuillan)
Which if it's the right people, can be a threat...

Janitors of Zurich Orbital! Rise up against your oppresors!

+Quote Post
Draconis
post Oct 20 2006, 01:57 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,607

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Personally I would love to see a sourcebook "Under the Boot" about regions of the 6th world under fascist rule. The real, humanizing element of the fact that the horror is all done by self-interested humans who believe that they are behaving rationally would really perspectivize it all and put it into the ballpark where shadowrunners could be major players.

But I think it's dishonest to portray any of these areas as a major threat to the world.

-Frank

Bah, not an entire book. Just a large section in say a new Fields of Fire. We could always use another merc book. Then there can be fun discussions about selling nuclear weapons on Vbay to african countries, right Frank? ;)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 08:25 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.