IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> "Paris Syndrome" leaves Japanese, This is how it would be for wageslaves?
Warmaster Lah
post Oct 26 2006, 02:44 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,072

<<So this sort of caught my eye. Thought I would pass it along. We denizens of the shadows have seen their type before. Corp drones that are wide-eyed and scared when confronted with reality of life outside their arcologies. (~_^)
<< WL

"Paris Syndrome"

<<"PARIS (Reuters) - Around a dozen Japanese tourists a year need psychological treatment after visiting Paris as the reality of unfriendly locals and scruffy streets clashes with their expectations, a newspaper reported on Sunday.

"A third of patients get better immediately, a third suffer relapses and the rest have psychoses," Yousef Mahmoudia, a psychologist at the Hotel-Dieu hospital, next to Notre Dame cathedral, told the newspaper Journal du Dimanche.

Already this year, Japan's embassy in Paris has had to repatriate at least four visitors -- including two women who believed their hotel room was being bugged and there was a plot against them.

Previous cases include a man convinced he was the French "Sun King", Louis XIV, and a woman who believed she was being attacked with microwaves, the paper cited Japanese embassy official Yoshikatsu Aoyagi as saying.

"Fragile travellers can lose their bearings. When the idea they have of the country meets the reality of what they discover it can provoke a crisis," psychologist Herve Benhamou told the paper.

The phenomenon, which the newspaper dubbed "Paris Syndrome", was first detailed in the psychiatric journal Nervure in 2004.

Bernard Delage of Jeunes Japon, an association that helps Japanese families settle in France, said:

"In Japanese shops, the customer is king, whereas here assistants hardly look at them ... People using public transport all look stern, and handbag snatchers increase the ill feeling."

A Japanese woman, Aimi, told the paper:

"For us, Paris is a dream city. All the French are beautiful and elegant ... And then, when they arrive, the Japanese find the French character is the complete opposite of their own."

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Oct 26 2006, 03:04 PM
Post #2

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...then there was the time I was strolling down the beach in Wakiki for the first time and a Japanese man, not saying anything in English except "Picture" handed me a very expensive Minolta (pre Digital days). I turned to my buddy and said, "wow, this is really a friendly place, not only do they give you flowers and have a beautiful woman kiss you on the cheek when you land, but people walk up to you and give really nice cameras too."

Of course, I knew he obviously wanted me to take his and his family's picture which I of did and handed him the camera back. But the thought was there.

--a true story.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Oct 26 2006, 03:05 PM
Post #3

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Bienvenu à la réalité!

Somehow though, I can't imagine corp drones suffering from that when they leave the arcology. I would think Renraku trid stations, or whatever, would portray the outside world (and life at other corps) as a dangerous nightmare.

I mean it is, but I don't see why they'd lead people to think any differently.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Oct 26 2006, 03:24 PM
Post #4

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (knasser)
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Bienvenu à la réalité!

Somehow though, I can't imagine corp drones suffering from that when they leave the arcology. I would think Renraku trid stationsDeus, or whatever, would portray the outside world (and life at other corpswithout mind control implants) as a dangerous nightmare.

I mean it is, but I don't see why they'd lead people to think any differently.

Fixed.

My question is, how did they know that he wasn't Louis XIV? If I was Louis XIV and I was reincarnated in the body of a Japanese man I would certainly be a little agitated.

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Oct 26 2006, 03:27 PM
Post #5

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

That can of course lead to some fun when a wageslave out it the hellish world, runs into someone actually altruistic and helpful (they might be rare in SR but do exist). Paris Syndrome due to people being nicer than expected... well i like the idea.

+Quote Post
Dog
post Oct 26 2006, 05:47 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,025

They might be overstating the case a little bit. About a dozen Japanese visitors represents what percentage of total Japanese visitors to Paris? Would that number reflect the number of people with undiagnosed schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder? It might. And travel, especially to a radically different culture would easily be the triggering stressor.

What I'm saying is that maybe it's more likely that visiting Paris was triggering the symptoms of an already present mental health issue than creating one.

Hmm... like RPG's, isn't it? The small number of young people who showed schizophrenic-like symptoms after playing a certain RPG is actually reflective of the number of young people showing similar symptoms if taken from the general population.

To put it another way, just 'cause two things happened at around the same time, doesn't mean one caused the other.

Funny story, though.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Oct 26 2006, 07:11 PM
Post #7

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

QUOTE (Dog)
Hmm... like RPG's, isn't it? The small number of young people who showed schizophrenic-like symptoms after playing a certain RPG is actually reflective of the number of young people showing similar symptoms if taken from the general population.

I don't know, I once counted all the voices, and it was WAAAY more than all the roleplayers I know.

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Oct 26 2006, 08:11 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,642

QUOTE (Dog)
To put it another way, just 'cause two things happened at around the same time, doesn't mean one caused the other.

The exact phrase that my wife likes to quote to me from her statistics class is:

"Correlation is not causation."

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Oct 26 2006, 09:50 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

Personally, I think that article is a load of crap. For some reason there's a weird negative sterotype about Parisians, but every time I've been to Paris I've gotten along wonderfully with the people whom I've interacted with. Maybe it's because I actually spoke French to them instead of expecting them to magically understand English (or Japanese).

I also disagree that in Japan the consumer is king. Sure, the retail workers bow and scrape, but the prices suck. It's kind of like having an overweight Mexican woman in tight leather call you "my lord" while she grinds your face against the floor and inserts increasing numbers of frozen baby carrots into your rectum.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Oct 26 2006, 10:45 PM
Post #10

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

*shudder*

+Quote Post
Inu
post Oct 27 2006, 01:34 AM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 9,205

QUOTE (Pthgar)
The exact phrase that my wife likes to quote to me from her statistics class is:

"Correlation is not causation."

Or if you want to sound all intellectual and stuff: "Post hoc ergo propter hoc." Translation: "After this, therefore because of this."

"Correlation is not causation" is shorter and snappier, though. ;)

+Quote Post
thewolf
post Oct 27 2006, 03:11 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,493

Correlation does not necessarily imply causation, would perhaps be more correct.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Oct 27 2006, 03:15 AM
Post #13

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

All I know is that I have this rock and I've never been attacked by a tiger for as long as I have had it. It must be a magic rock that repels tigers.

+Quote Post
Dog
post Oct 27 2006, 03:48 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,025

hmmm.... I'd like to buy your rock.

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Oct 27 2006, 02:37 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,642

Yeah, I pretty much stop any conversation, debate, or whatever when the either I or the other person starts a phrase with "All I know is..."

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Oct 27 2006, 03:01 PM
Post #16

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Personally, I think that article is a load of crap.  For some reason there's a weird negative sterotype about Parisians, but every time I've been to Paris I've gotten along wonderfully with the people whom I've interacted with.  Maybe it's because I actually spoke French to them instead of expecting them to magically understand English (or Japanese).

...I actually spent time in France as well while on an academic exchange programme. Though I was speaking mostly German at the time (now remember who invaded and occupied the country during the last war there) for the most part since my French was somewhat limited, I had very few if any real issues when I visited Paris. Only in large and very busy establishments did I find things somewhat impersonal, which is not unlike it is anywhere else.

Now the smaller French towns, they were particularly delightful to visit and very friendly I thought (& a bottle of fine burgundy or cabernet for the equivalent of $1.50 American was not a bad deal either).

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 27 2006, 04:03 PM
Post #17

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
Now the smaller French towns, they were particularly delightful to visit and very friendly I thought

I definitely agree with this, but as far as Paris itself is concerned, I have been to a lot of places in the world, and Paris is definitely, and by far, the rudest place I have ever visited.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Oct 27 2006, 04:05 PM
Post #18

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

Fortune... am I talking to the Sun King right now?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 27 2006, 04:11 PM
Post #19

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Fortune)
I definitely agree with this, but as far as Paris itself is concerned, I have been to a lot of places in the world, and Paris is definitely, and by far, the rudest place I have ever visited.

Either you've never been to Boston, or we've failed at life.

~J

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 27 2006, 04:21 PM
Post #20

Immoral Elf

I've been to Boston a number of times. Funnily enough, it was one of my favorite (and one of the friendlier) cities in the States.

So, in short, you have failed miserably. ;)

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 27 2006, 04:21 PM
Post #21

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (emo samurai)
Fortune... am I talking to the Sun King right now?

Dunno. Are you wearing your tinfoil hat? ;)

+Quote Post
Warmaster Lah
post Oct 27 2006, 04:40 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,072

Well I tend to think Parisian do get a harder rap than maybe they deserve.

But my primary interest in the article was the part dealing with how people's perceptions can clash with reality in such a huge way. Because of propaganga and the fantasy they have built in their own minds, among other reasons.

I like to think I have an idea of what is really going on in the world but I bet I dont really know anything all unless I see it myself.

Plus I figured that the cases of Paris Syndrome were probably sensationalized for the article. But it did paint an interested picture of what could happen to a person that had been sheltered from the "real" world. (I remember after 9-11 hearing people shockingly come to realize that a lot of people do not like the United States. Many still dont even believe or realize how many bad and untimately self-harming things the U.S. has done over the years.)

+Quote Post
Sandoval Smith
post Oct 27 2006, 06:31 PM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 6,690

That article is truely bizarre. Are we sure it's not actually a weekly world news story or something, because it sure reads like one. Out of all the Japanese tourists who grow abroad a year, 12 is a small enough number that's it's quite possible all of them are simply idiots. I bet each year you could find 12 Westerners of some stripe who go to Japan with big ideas that are going to make them manga superstars, but can't speak a word of Japanese, didn't get around to booking a hotel, and whose entire plan is:
Step 1: Go to Japan
Step 2: ???
Step 3: ???
Step 4: ???
STep 5: Profits!

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Oct 27 2006, 06:49 PM
Post #24

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

From my experience, the Parisians have a different sense of life, style and politesse, than the rest of France. A similar pattern exists if you compare NYC and LA to Rochester and San Diego.

While I prefer the provincial lifestyle in France to the hustle and bustle in Paris, I don't think that having my view of the French crushed would drive me deep into psychoses.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 27 2006, 06:54 PM
Post #25

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (McQuillan)
A similar pattern exists if you compare NYC and LA to Rochester and San Diego.

Not to the same degree.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:21 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.