Reply to this topicStart new topic
> standard equipment for typical Lone Star officer
zero skill LPB
post Oct 26 2006, 06:32 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,171

What are the typical items a Lone Star officer would carry while on duty?
What about beat cop vs. plain clothes officer? Detective?
What about additional gear in the squad car?

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Oct 26 2006, 06:40 PM
Post #2

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

IMO
Ruger Thunderbolt
Armored jacket
sunglasses w/ smartgunlink, lowlight vision
camera - cyber,glasses, mounted somewhere
spare pistol
popper of Jazz (combat drug)
handcuffs
stunbaton and/or gloves
encrypted commlink/radio
credstick reader/ID verification
STIM patch

If they have a car, toss in a shotgun, medkit, magemask, general crash equipment (flares, etc).

+Quote Post
Blade
post Oct 26 2006, 06:58 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

There are some samples cops p275 of the BBB.

With non burst-firing guns being able to do something in SR4, maybe they don't need to be equipped with Thunderbolts. Tasers (or Stick&Shock ammo) are also really nice and useful.
I don't think the Jazz is too common, I seem to remember (but maybe I'm wrong) that the Lone Star dropped it because of its side effects. But some cops may still have some handy.
Credstick Readers aren't that useful know that credstick are limited to carrying money. Now, they just remotely scan with AR.
And I'd add grenades (partly because I'm fond of them) such as CS/Tear gas.
It's a shame that it doesn't exist in SR (as far as I know) but vomiting-inducer stun baton ala Minority Report would be great.

It also depends on the area and on how you want the cops to look. If you want to go for the cyberpunk fully-armored look you can equip them with security armor (with helmet) and SMGs.

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Oct 26 2006, 07:05 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
If they have a car, toss in a shotgun, medkit, magemask, general crash equipment (flares, etc).

Assault rifle instead of or in addition to the shotgun.

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Oct 26 2006, 07:08 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

The Thunderbolt has always been the staple weapon of Lonestar, I don't see why they would change it. It also had rules for it on the side stating that all Lonestar knew exactly how it sounded and looked and would hassle anyone who had one. Somewhat of a balancing point given that it was a really nice sidearm that wasn't very costly... at least Nuyen wise.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Oct 26 2006, 07:12 PM
Post #6

Uncle Fisty

The Salvette Guardian was a good option instead of the Thunderbolt, but IIRC, it was a comples action to use it's burst fire. I love it when a player gets all excited about getting their new big bang bang, starts getting their gun off, and the Star comes down on them like a ton of bricks. A good lesson learned there.

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Oct 26 2006, 07:17 PM
Post #7

Runner

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
The Salvette Guardian was a good option instead of the Thunderbolt, but IIRC, it was a comples action to use it's burst fire. I love it when a player gets all excited about getting their new big bang bang, starts getting their gun off, and the Star comes down on them like a ton of bricks. A good lesson learned there.

You have no idea how much I loved the Savalette Guardian. But yeah, the burst fire on it was a Complex action, I did use it to down a nice big troll in one burst however.

I think the 'Star gets underestimated alot, in numbers they can pose a problem for even the most prime of runners, and they aren't lemmings either.

+Quote Post
Mistwalker
post Oct 26 2006, 07:25 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,304

I have them use laser sights on their pistols (either a manhunter or a thunderbolt if/when I stat it out).

The reason for the laser sights is that it is more intimidating for a perp to suddenly have several little red dots floating on his chest and head. If you are using smart linked weapons, there is no (or less) intimidation factor.

The SWAT team (HTR or whatever you want to call it), has smart weapons. Thought, even there, sometime the sniper has a laser sight mounted on top for intimidation purposes, with the smart link being used for firing the weapon.

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Oct 26 2006, 07:26 PM
Post #9

Running Target

QUOTE (X-Kalibur)
I think the 'Star gets underestimated alot, in numbers they can pose a problem for even the most prime of runners, and they aren't lemmings either.

Since my response teams and most patrols use at least 2 Citymasters, my players fear the Star again. The Squad Car is for areas where the security is high anyways.

+Quote Post
Blade
post Oct 26 2006, 07:45 PM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

QUOTE ("X-Kalibur")
The Thunderbolt has always been the staple weapon of Lonestar, I don't see why they would change it.

I don't see why, but that's how it is in the BBB.
For me, the Thunderbolt has always been the gun made so that Lone Star Officer could stand a chance against runner abusing weapon and armor rules.

... And I didn't know it was a staple-gun :eek:

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Oct 26 2006, 07:46 PM
Post #11

Runner

QUOTE (Blade)
QUOTE ("X-Kalibur")
The Thunderbolt has always been the staple weapon of Lonestar, I don't see why they would change it.

I don't see why, but that's how it is in the BBB.
For me, the Thunderbolt has always been the gun made so that Lone Star Officer could stand a chance against runner abusing weapon and armor rules.

... And I didn't know it was a staple-gun :eek:

bu-dum psh!

I got a laugh out of that actually. I'm hoping once Arsenal comes out it will be reintroduced and the day will be saved for Lonestar.

+Quote Post
zero skill LPB
post Oct 26 2006, 08:06 PM
Post #12

Target

Thanks for the responses so far! Keep the replies coming, please.

Checking the BBB (p. 275-276) they do have Armor Jackets, but with Body at 3 they're gonna be suffering encumbrance penalties (p. 149). Keystone cops, anyone? Too funny.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Oct 26 2006, 09:30 PM
Post #13

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

QUOTE (Blade)
Credstick Readers aren't that useful know that credstick are limited to carrying money. Now, they just remotely scan with AR.

Wait, what the crap? No, let me take a guess. The rest is on your commlink now?

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Oct 26 2006, 09:33 PM
Post #14

Uncle Fisty

QUOTE (eidolon)
QUOTE (Blade)

Wait, what the crap? No, let me take a guess. The rest is on your commlink now?

Yup, ID is on the commlink, which is why they're required to carry.

Which was why I said credstickreader/ID verification

As in - some damn way to verify identification. I'd figure taht would be included in the officer's commlink, but I felt it important enough to sepcifically state.

Besides that, the typical Star beat cop needs a credstick reader to verify funds so that he can accept bribes quicker.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Oct 26 2006, 09:55 PM
Post #15

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

Yeah, definitely worth mentioning (and yeah, bribes quicker, heh). Just checking my assumption on SR3/SR4 difference there.

+Quote Post
WhiskeyMac
post Oct 26 2006, 10:02 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,789

You forgot the most important thing: A Big Ol Can O' Whoop Ass!

I'm sure Jones Soda will still be around by 2070. They'd have to make big cans for orks and trolls anway :D

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Oct 26 2006, 11:01 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,629

Standard issue patrolmen?

Heavy Pistol (Thunderbolt, but you can fake it with a Colt Manhunter for now)
1 spare clip of ammo, all of which is standard
Baton (Treat as a club)
Defiance EX Shocker (Taser) ... can use a stunrod instead.
PepperPunch (Five doses) ... basicly a can of Mace.

Armored Vest

Novatech Airware Commlink with Iris Orb O/S
Several Lingasofts at Rating 3 (Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, whatever's appropriate for where stationed)
ID reader with Rating 3 (Please present yoru Fake SIN now.)

MicroTranceiver (Rating 3)

Imagelink Glasses with Flare Compensation
Earbuds (Built in to glasses)

Metal Restraints (2) each with an RFID tag implanted
FirstAid Kit (Or possibly trauma patches)

This is a standard 'Patrol Load', fitting into a budget ... poorer areas probably only have Rating 2 Commlinks and readers.

In the car (Assuming all patrols are two officers in a patrolcar) would be a combat shotgun and a Commlink relay with a bigger Signal. The trunk holds two helmets with Thermographic and vision mag, two fireproof (Rating 3) Riot Shields, 2 fireproof (Rating 3) Armored Jackets, two Tear Gas grenades, two Insulated (Level 3) blankets, 2 chemically resistant (Level 1) ponchos and resperators (leve 1), six microflares, six traffic cones, and a teddy bear in a hermeticly sealed bag.

This allows the officers to gear up for heavy assignments, serve traffic detail, handle adverse weather conditions, and be prepared for domestic disturbances and similar calls. Combat situations, even for Lone Star, are only about 5% of the calls, if that. Shots are fired in roughly 1% of all confrontations (And paperwork sucks)

There are also 'Brute Squads' which patrol in force on foot (Half a dozen officers) or in a CItymaster, which are much more spookily setup, as well as teh SWAT officers and/or High Threat Response Team.

Officers are trained to handle the common street thug, but bitch about being underequiped when facing Trolls, leading to heavy handed responses when Orks or Trolls are involved. They assume that, if they wait, teh larger Metas will do some serious harm, so, they stick the boot in early with tasers and pepper sprays... In short, being an Ork ups your Threat level by 1, while being a Troll ups it by two. Gunfire brings backup fast (Commlinks are left up and running when responding to a mission, so, if gunfire is heard, the dispatcher knows instantly and can call for help) and *everything* is filmed. (In some areas, the Brute Squads have famously unreliable equipment which tends to turn off when Tuskers are involved. Funny that. Guess they need a bigger budget for upgrades.)

When heavier problems are encountered (Ork on PCP!), then teh High Threat Response Team is called in. These guys are cybered, with Smartguns, a handful of Adepts, and spirit backup brought in by an Astral Projecting magician. This level of response is generally held back for Shadowrunners or their level of oomph.

The average Star, tho, isn't all that tricked out.

+Quote Post
zero skill LPB
post Oct 27 2006, 07:32 PM
Post #18

Target

Excellent info. Thanks! This in particular

a teddy bear in a hermeticly sealed bag

initially made me go 'huh?' then, after just a moment of thought, 'duh!' -- a great bit of detail.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 27 2006, 07:37 PM
Post #19

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Gotta agree. Real nice work, Wakshaani. :)

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Oct 27 2006, 07:55 PM
Post #20

Running Target

I had a good chuckle about the drop bear in the hermetically sealed bag.

I still advocate the assault rifle. Even today, lots of police forces allow them, even in the US. Today, they are mostly civil or police variants, meaning mostly semi-automatic. In 2070 it's not a great stretch to allow military variants.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Oct 27 2006, 08:11 PM
Post #21

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

i dont think i get that teddy bear thing.

edit:

ah, butterblume explained it (i think).
never followed that thread so...

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 27 2006, 08:15 PM
Post #22

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Alternately, it could just be a real Teddy Bear that could be given to a distressed kid to help calm them down when they are caught up in a frightening situation. ;)

+Quote Post
Eleazar
post Oct 27 2006, 08:22 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,130

Here is a link a great link from pavao.org's Shadowrun Resources page. They have the stats for the Lonestar, Knight Errant, HRTF, Swat, and others.

http://www.pavao.org/shadowrun/cheatsheets...s/SR4Squads.pdf

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Oct 27 2006, 08:24 PM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

Most definitely a Panther Assault Cannon.

What? :)

+Quote Post
zero skill LPB
post Oct 27 2006, 08:26 PM
Post #25

Target

QUOTE (Butterblume)
I still advocate the assault rifle. Even today, lots of police forces allow them, even in the US. Today, they are mostly civil or police variants, meaning mostly semi-automatic. In 2070 it's not a great stretch to allow military variants.

As patrol car issue, totally. Shotgun in that locked collar thingie in the cab, rifle in the trunk.

I've recently taken to watching Dallas SWAT ( http://www.aetv.com/dallas_swat/ for those interested parties - not great, but fun enough to merit Tivoing ) and seeing those officers casually handle their (.223?) rifles is a beautiful/sobering thing.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:58 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.