> 6th world culture, Favorites
BishopMcQ
post Oct 30 2006, 05:15 PM
Post #1

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

Hey folks--

I'm about to join a few others on the boards in some fun collaborative fiction.

What are aspects of the 6th world culture that you particularly enjoy?

Obviously there are the trids, sports and Sim-news feeds from the SotA books, but what else would people like to see incorporated into their fiction?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 30 2006, 05:37 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,670

i tend to include aspects of modern 'punk' culture as being mainstream in T6W. for instance, i detailed a luxury airliner once; all of the flight attendants had, as part of their uniform, tasteful silver labret piercings that functioned as subvocal microphones.

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Oct 30 2006, 05:49 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,629

Fashion.

I need fashion like I was a Crackhead.

What was last year's style? What's this years? And the next?

2050 had the Western Wear, in both 'Cowboy' and 'Indian' forms, which stayed in for a couple years, but by 2052, was getting nudged aside. By 2054, Chrome was *dead*, and teh Western Look was gone, phasing in a more professional look, with less scary hair and piercings, more suits and ties. That rolled into "Commando Chic" by 2057, which gave way to a sort of bland "Whatever" look that's generally held since.

We know that 'Elven fashion' has died down with teh Tir's problems, Orksploitation is now king (But for how long?), but what about the TrendJills out there? Are hemlines up or down? Braids or no? Short hair, medium, or long? Curls or straight? Sleeves ... short, long, poofy? Are pants worn low this year? Has teh Wireless Matrix made "Nerdcore" the new trend, with tight pants pulled too high, buttonup tops, and pocket Commlinks? Glasses for everyone!

Also, brands.

Much like Contacts dropped several names of functionally similar contact options, I'd love to see a line of brand options for gear. You hate Colt, LOVE Ares, but want a Colt Manhunter? Luckily, the Ares Gladius is at-hand! Don't want to buy an Ingrim Smartgun? No worries! The new Ares Athena is the *goddess* of war!

And so on.

We *always* need trends.

+Quote Post
Steak and Spirit...
post Oct 30 2006, 06:08 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,346

The Sixth World culture of Dystopia. The battlefields of downtrodden vs. elite, soul vs. machine. The reckless, devil-may-care integration of technology into the very fabic of being. The spin of personal, and global morality, combined with an often times resentful, but none the less essential and symbiotic relationship between the underworld and the status-quo.

A culture that has shifted from "Should we do this?" into "Can we do this?", and the incredible accomplishments, and foolish shortcomings that present themselves with such an evolution of mankind.

The culture of glamour, and gritty gutterpunk, dead serious, or completely fabricated, fused together, in a mesh of urbanization.

+Quote Post
ChicagosFinest
post Oct 30 2006, 06:09 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,422

What more can you do without micromanaging the wolrd? you already listed all the major facets of life?

hmm to be productive though I would say casual drug culture and roleplaying games lol.

But on a more serrious note, celeberties wheather football, sim, or trid. How would an heiress like Paris hilton act in T6W. Would she be a magical slut or just a slut? Is the WWE still around that would be hilarous to see in T6W. Is goth culture still around and what about globalization?

But what I would like to see is megastars comeback. Mirror some of the greats to like Tupac, Kobain, Hendrix, The beatles, and my favorate rap duo snoop and dre. Crime time is funy but i need a little more to spice it up. East coast west coast music war part 2 would be fun to play out in the shadows if there are bigger factions and more artists involved

+Quote Post
Draconis
post Oct 30 2006, 06:09 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,607

QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Oct 30 2006, 05:49 PM)
Fashion.

I need fashion like I was a Crackhead.

What was last year's style? What's this years? And the next?

2050 had the Western Wear, in both 'Cowboy' and 'Indian' forms, which stayed in for a couple years, but by 2052, was getting nudged aside. By 2054, Chrome was *dead*, and teh Western Look was gone, phasing in a more professional look, with less scary hair and piercings, more suits and ties. That rolled into "Commando Chic" by 2057, which gave way to a sort of bland "Whatever" look that's generally held since.

We know that 'Elven fashion' has died down with teh Tir's problems, Orksploitation is now king (But for how long?), but what about the TrendJills out there? Are hemlines up or down? Braids or no? Short hair, medium, or long? Curls or straight? Sleeves ... short, long, poofy? Are pants worn low this year? Has teh Wireless Matrix made "Nerdcore" the new trend, with tight pants pulled too high, buttonup tops, and pocket Commlinks? Glasses for everyone!

Also, brands.

Much like Contacts dropped several names of functionally similar contact options, I'd love to see a line of brand options for gear. You hate Colt, LOVE Ares, but want a Colt Manhunter? Luckily, the Ares Gladius is at-hand! Don't want to buy an Ingrim Smartgun? No worries! The new Ares Athena is the *goddess* of war!

And so on.

We *always* need trends.

I'm with you on that. When I think fashion I think smart materials. Logos and animations creeping all over your clothes. Clips of movies and music videos being shown upon mood. Color changing hair. I thought skin dyes where pretty lame.

I want genemods to hit high fashion like Alba the "glow bunny". :) You know expanding on SoTA 2064.

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Oct 30 2006, 06:21 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 9,168

It always comes back to Transmetropolitan. ;)

Read that series for a full on blast of dystopian culture, combined with crazy bodymods.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Oct 30 2006, 06:21 PM
Post #8

The back-up plan

Member No.: 3,910

QUOTE (ChicagosFineset)
What more can you do without micromanaging the wolrd? you already listed all the major facets of life?

I was specifically referencing the Culture chapters from SotA 63 and 64, I'm sure that the 6th world has changed drasticallly and has aspects of culture which extend radically beyond what was covered in those pages.

+Quote Post
Draconis
post Oct 30 2006, 06:29 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

I can't help but think of the "Derelict" campaign from Zoolander when someone mentions dystopian future. 8)

I would think that the fashionistas would rebel against the wireless matrix and rampant technology, to counter the whole cyberpunk look the new trend would be Eco-wear. I think natural materials are pretty expensive compared to the synthetic stuff so it would of course appeal to the rich as a status symbol. Also nothing says I care about the environment like a hemp shirt while you're driving around in your 2071 Westwind ;) .
Animal prints and cloned fur and scales would be in. I can see some hot model in a skin hugging swimsuit patterned after and resembling orca skin. Or maybe I just want to see that.

Just a thought.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Oct 30 2006, 06:31 PM
Post #10

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

I always imagined it spelled as "Dereliquet."

+Quote Post
ChicagosFinest
post Oct 30 2006, 06:35 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Ahh i see so its like you want a SOTA 70' my fault. To add on more I would like to see more global subculturalization.

For example travel culture and vacationing. With so much happening in the world were do people go? Do they even get vacations?

Gaming cultrue (videogames, roleplaying, sims ect) what are some creative ways people spend their leisure time in the 70's

What about the desert? Is it all mad max style in the west cost now (beyond the thunderdome and the video for california love combined)

Maybe food as well. With all the mixing going on do orks have authentic Ork'zet food? Same with elves. Is evlen culture dead. What about dwarfen culture. Finaly to break it down futher. Does a black female ork who is jewish and gay have more rights than a sasquach?

Subcultures is where its at.

+Quote Post
Draconis
post Oct 30 2006, 06:43 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (emo samurai @ Oct 30 2006, 06:31 PM)
I always imagined it spelled as "Dereliquet."

It's just how you pronounce it that makes it really funny.

Actually it's Derelicte. I just looked. :)

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Oct 30 2006, 06:51 PM
Post #13

ghostrider

Member No.: 6,333

Two words describe what is sadly missing from SR fiction: Urban Brawl.

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Oct 30 2006, 06:53 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Has any sourcebook actually covered Urban Brawl?

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Oct 30 2006, 06:55 PM
Post #15

ghostrider

Member No.: 6,333

Yes. Shadowbeat is the sourcebook with full rules and a good writeup. It also contains Combat Biker, and info about "normal" sports.

(Unless I'm mixing up titles. I've re-read several older sourcebooks over the last couple of weeks, and I'm horrible at keeping the title/content stuff together sometimes. But I'm reasonably certain it was Shadowbeat.)

+Quote Post
Draconis
post Oct 30 2006, 06:55 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Rigger street racing! With unmanned cars you can go nuts.

+Quote Post
Draconis
post Oct 30 2006, 06:58 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (eidolon)
Yes. Shadowbeat is the sourcebook with full rules and a good writeup. It also contains Combat Biker, and info about "normal" sports.

(Unless I'm mixing up titles. I've re-read several older sourcebooks over the last couple of weeks, and I'm horrible at keeping the title/content stuff together sometimes. But I'm reasonably certain it was Shadowbeat.)

Yep Shadowbeat p.68-73

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Oct 30 2006, 07:35 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,629

QUOTE (Draconis)
[QUOTE=Wakshaani,Oct 30 2006, 05:49 PM]
I'm with you on that. When I think fashion I think smart materials. Logos and animations creeping all over your clothes. Clips of movies and music videos being shown upon mood. Color changing hair. I thought skin dyes where pretty lame.

I want genemods to hit high fashion like Alba the "glow bunny". :) You know expanding on SoTA 2064.

Awww, Genemods are *so* Year of the Comet!

Now that Elementals can be snapped up with nary a cost in Nuyen and Natural Spirits can go anywhere, domains be damned, well, the Next Big Thing is, clearly, SpiritWear.

The high and mighty hire magicians to summon them up a spirit at sundown, which materializes and is then 'Worn' for the evening. If you thought a slinky red dress was eyecatching, wait until they see you slink into the room caressed in flames! Animal prints have nothing on 'wearing' a leopard around you, and the most daring of the daring know that a wispy cloud and breeze-blown hair from an Air Elemental is the best. Nothig between you and the room but obscuring mist ... it's so *decadant*, donchayouknow?

Of course, just as Cinderella had to be home by midnight, any debutant who dared to dance the Mana Fandango had best pay attention to the sun's rise, lest the lovely lady be left somewhat ... exposed ... to her partyguests.

+Quote Post
Geekkake
post Oct 30 2006, 07:46 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,372

QUOTE (Wakshaani)
[QUOTE=Draconis,Oct 30 2006, 06:09 PM] [QUOTE=Wakshaani,Oct 30 2006, 05:49 PM]

I want genemods to hit high fashion like Alba the "glow bunny". :) You know expanding on SoTA 2064. [/QUOTE]

Now that Elementals can be snapped up with nary a cost in Nuyen and Natural Spirits can go anywhere, domains be damned, well, the Next Big Thing is, clearly, SpiritWear.

The high and mighty hire magicians to summon them up a spirit at sundown, which materializes and is then 'Worn' for the evening. If you thought a slinky red dress was eyecatching, wait until they see you slink into the room caressed in flames! Animal prints have nothing on 'wearing' a leopard around you, and the most daring of the daring know that a wispy cloud and breeze-blown hair from an Air Elemental is the best. Nothig between you and the room but obscuring mist ... it's so *decadant*, donchayouknow?

Of course, just as Cinderella had to be home by midnight, any debutant who dared to dance the Mana Fandango had best pay attention to the sun's rise, lest the lovely lady be left somewhat ... exposed ... to her partyguests.

You're my hero.

+Quote Post
Draconis
post Oct 30 2006, 07:53 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

The high and mighty hire magicians to summon them up a spirit at sundown, which materializes and is then 'Worn' for the evening. If you thought a slinky red dress was eyecatching, wait until they see you slink into the room caressed in flames!  Animal prints have nothing on 'wearing' a leopard around you, and the most daring of the daring know that a wispy cloud and  breeze-blown hair from an Air Elemental is the best. Nothig between you and the room but obscuring mist ... it's so *decadant*, donchayouknow?

Cute, but "caressed" isn't the word your looking for, barbecued maybe. Fire spirits have energy aura so keep them out of your pants.

Mages are still a miniscule portion of the population, there's not enough to go around. Besides that mage is making better money using that spirit to movement a ship or guard a facility. Hell I can barely get a spirit around for my own purposes.

Oh and I can just see it... "Damn she's fine. Banish her clothes." "You got it."

Also I can see the spirits reaction when told the service, "You want me to do what!? Oh that's just low. Next you'll have me plunging your toliet. You sir are on my shit list."

Still amusing idea. I already practically wear my ally spirit. Ahem.

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Oct 30 2006, 08:11 PM
Post #21

Running Target

*ring ring ring*

"Bob's Spirits Services, you summon, we sendum. Whatcha need?"

"Yeah, I got two things. First, I got this van. I need it to explode really big, and someone to kill all the guards. There might be a couple mages shooting manabolts and stuff, but no biggie."

"Yeah, that's gonna be tough. I'll see what we've got. What else?"

"I need someone to wrap themselves around a naked supermodel for a few hours."

"...."

"Are you there?"

"Why the hell can't I be a spirit?"

+Quote Post
Triggerz
post Oct 30 2006, 09:16 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,590

QUOTE (Draconis)
Oh and I can just see it... "Damn she's fine. Banish her clothes." "You got it."

I hadn't thought about that one. Somehow, I'm sure my players would have though. :P

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Oct 30 2006, 09:40 PM
Post #23

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Sure you could do that, but you wouldn't, for all the same reasons you don't run up to a celebrity and try to tear their clothes off, no matter how flimsy their garments.

+Quote Post
ChicagosFinest
post Oct 30 2006, 09:45 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

What about a free spirt clothing/ fashion desinger. How would that look in the T6W? I bet the clothes would be crazy, or maybe it would be like "the emporers new clothes" and people would walk around naked like those girls who use body paint to paint a bakini on them. Thats the new fashion.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Oct 30 2006, 09:45 PM
Post #25

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

One thought I had is multi media is a lot more media. So a Fad might not last long, but could appear literally everywhere for a few days. Also focused multi media blitzes. So you might see a new Star appear on the news, screamsheets, clothes (Brands names and decorations), skylines, ARO, online immersive games, literally in every part of someone's experience.

Be a fun character trait to explore, are you really paranoid, or is "Super Jane" the latest sim starlet really appearing everywhere you look?

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:43 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.