Reply to this topicStart new topic
> sustained area effect spells
fool
post Oct 30 2006, 09:59 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,316

when an are effect wpell is cast and sustained, do people entering the area become effected and do people leaving the area stop being effected?
As a corallary can a sustained area effect spell be moved or must it be recast?

The reason I ask is My character has orgy spell and owns a strip club; she's thinking of having a bound spirit cast a low level orgy spell in front of the stage to up people's tips for her dancers. (yeah its a mature audience game.)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mistwalker
post Oct 30 2006, 10:30 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,304

Yes, an area spell that is sustained, new entries into the area have to resist, while those that leave are no longer affected.

Yes, as a complex action, you can move the center of the spell.

Hmm, not sure if it would increase the tips, or just the undesirables hogging the stage area. :D

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Oct 30 2006, 10:37 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 8,856

There's a problem though... The rules contain a requirement that a caster have LOS to anyone inside an area of effect spell in order to be affected. So if the Area is a circle that would include around a corner where the caster can't see, someone standing around the corner is not affected.

So my problem comes with if the spell is sustained then the caster walks away and isn't constantly observing targets walking in and out then does it not affect them because the caster does not have LOS? If the caster walks away and no longer has LOS on the targets does it stop for them in that case?

And on a side note, the coplex action required to move the center of the Area of Effect also requires LOS to the center in order to move it. So you can sustain it and walk away, then if you come back you can move it, then walk away again.

+Quote Post
Mistwalker
post Oct 30 2006, 10:38 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,304

Yes, LOS must be maintained.
That is why Fool was going to have a bound spirit cast and maintain the spell.

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Oct 30 2006, 10:42 PM
Post #5

Running Target

A single target sustained spell does not require LOS to sustain it does it? I get the impression that it does not, I could Orgasm someone and walk away and sustain it from any distance. Am I wrong about that? If there a place in the sustaining rules that requires LOS for sustaining?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 30 2006, 10:48 PM
Post #6

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

LOS is only needed to actually cast the Spell. Merely sustaining it afterwards does not normally require LOS.

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Oct 30 2006, 10:50 PM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

And besides, you can just summon a spirit of man to do the spell slinging of orgy for you, and heck, you could have it materialize as the pole :lick:

+Quote Post
knasser
post Oct 30 2006, 10:54 PM
Post #8

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

QUOTE (Demerzel @ Oct 30 2006, 05:42 PM)
A single target sustained spell does not require LOS to sustain it does it?  I get the impression that it does not, I could Orgasm someone and walk away and sustain it from any distance.  Am I wrong about that?  If there a place in the sustaining rules that requires LOS for sustaining?

No, you're not wrong. The distinction with area spells is not that you suddenly don't need LOS to get the lock on in the first place, you still do. The distinction is that you don't need to re-cast the spell against new targets if they enter the affected area. Consider it a "danger zone." If someone can sneak through it while the mage isn't looking, then they'll be safe. But if the mage is watching, they'll have to resist the effect.

At least that's how I see it.

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Oct 30 2006, 11:00 PM
Post #9

Running Target

QUOTE (Fortune)
LOS is only needed to actually cast the Spell. Merely sustaining it afterwards does not normally require LOS.

So does a Sustained AOE spell work like:

Case 1:
Cast the spell, the instant you cast it affects the group of people in the AOE that you have LOS to, then you sustain it and any of those people will feel the effect for as long as they:

Sub Case A:
Stay in the AOE
Sub Case B:
It affects them until the sustaining stops.

In this case the Area only matters at the instant of cast.

Case 2:
The AOE is what is affected and anyone walking into the AOE rolls a resistance check vs. the number of hits attained by the caster. Then the spell ends for them when they walk out of the AOE.

In this case the Area is sustained (and the center can be moved as per the rules requiring a complex action.)

If case 2 is true then how does this reconcile with the LOS rules in the book?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 30 2006, 11:09 PM
Post #10

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (Demerzel @ Oct 31 2006, 10:00 AM)
Case 2:
The AOE is what is affected and anyone walking into the AOE rolls a resistance check vs. the number of hits attained by the caster.  Then the spell ends for them when they walk out of the AOE.

In this case the Area is sustained (and the center can be moved as per the rules requiring a complex action.)

As far as I know, this is the case.

Dunno. :(

The rules require LOS when first casting the Spell, but make no mention (that I recall offhand) about the need to have LOS when a new potential target enters the AoE.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Oct 30 2006, 11:36 PM
Post #11

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

QUOTE (Fortune)

Dunno. :(

The rules require LOS when first casting the Spell, but make no mention (that I recall offhand) about the need to have LOS when a new potential target enters the AoE.

Hmmm. I seem to have been skipped. :(

I like my "danger zone" take on it actually and I think this is what's intended by RAW. Be interested to hear otherwise.

-K.

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Oct 30 2006, 11:54 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Back in SR3 there was an example of Ricky the Rat Boy Shaman quickens a stink bomb spell to the center of a bar where he was having a conflict with the owner. Now there are huge problems with this (Trackable link left by the spell yada yada yada) but I’d like to think this kind of “curse” is possible, a pox on your house that will stink like hell until you get someone to dispel it.

If you require your danger zone then this type of sustaining or quickening is useless since the spell can run permanently but since the caster does not stick around to get his hoop greased there is a net zero effect since everyone affected can just leave and come back smelling like roses.

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Oct 30 2006, 11:55 PM
Post #13

Running Target

That may have ben SR2 not SR3, but I don't think the LOS requirement has changed any from SR2 to SR4 except some changes in physical manipulations in SR4, but I think stink bomb was a mana based illusion spell not a physical manipulation anyhow so the LOS requirements should be basically the same...

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 31 2006, 12:06 AM
Post #14

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (knasser @ Oct 31 2006, 10:36 AM)
Hmmm. I seem to have been skipped.

You skipped me too! :P :D

I like my "danger zone" take on it actually and I think this is what's intended by RAW. Be interested to hear otherwise.

I'm not terribly happy with your interpretation that LOS must be maintained to the entire AoE as long as it is being sustained in order for any future potential targets to be affected.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:55 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.