IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Connecting RL to SR, Is OUR world the fourth world?
Dog
post Oct 31 2006, 06:32 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,025

One of my favourite things about SR is that it ties the fantasy world to the one we know. This means that people and their works, fictional and non-, are known in the sixth world. This comes up now and then, like when someone suggested that Tolkien was some sort of prophet, or the character who was a Star Wars fan and wanted to emulate a Jedi knight. There's also the old mention of Battletech arenas, and my favourite: the Queensryche references in a lot of the art.

What's really cool to me is when we don't even change the past, but put it in a new light in the future. For example, Tolkien's no prophet, but a lot of people might think he is.

Has anyone taken this and run with it? Used young celebrities from IRL as NPC's of the 2060's? Had a run that was involved directly with a real event that a player witnessed? I'd like to read some stories....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Oct 31 2006, 07:30 PM
Post #2

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Our world would be the fifth, not the fourth.

+Quote Post
NightmareX
post Oct 31 2006, 08:46 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,687

One of our first 4th edition runs in Miami was a wetwork job...against a vampiric Britney Spears. :D

And then there's the merger of TGI Friday's and Hooters that occured in 2021, bringing about TGI Hooters :P

My group does this sort of thing all the time. Part of the joy of Shadowrun IMO. :smokin:

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Oct 31 2006, 08:57 PM
Post #4

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

I try to avoid RL stuff that's too blatant in my games. I only factor in RL if it's something being presented as in the past, and that doesn't contradict anything else in my game(s).

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 31 2006, 10:38 PM
Post #5

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

In one of my games based out of London and Sydney, one of the biggest thorns in the sides of the characters was the head of an international piracy and smuggling ring, a smart but mean old bitch named Tiger Lily Hutchence-Geldof. :)

+Quote Post
Dog
post Nov 1 2006, 12:17 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,025

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Our world would be the fifth, not the fourth.

(Dog hangs head in shame of his blatant error...)

+Quote Post
Crossfire
post Nov 1 2006, 05:20 AM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 8,532

RL stuff I did...

A player of mine had a character who was tv addicted. At the beginning of every game, he would always be sitting (the character) in front of the tv (trideo I mean) watching all bunch of stuff. I would usually do around 2 minutes of flavour stuff to bring the world to life, taking half the stuff from Shadowbeat (the greatest book ever!) and half the rest using RL or RL-inspired stuff. I did a spoof of The Crocrodile Hunter on a regular basis (but with meta creatures instead! Hilarious...) As a sad note, he actually died in my game, getting caught in a manastorm in the Australian outback and turned into stone... and 6 months later, my players actually met his "statue" while they were running the shadows down under...

Matt Damon was also a vampire in one of my game. He was the "mentor" of one of my players...

The Harlem Globe-Trotters were a group of Metas travelling around the Globe promoting metahumans rights...

I'm sure I put Bill Gates somewhere...

I was planning on using Michael Jackson at some point but didn't have time...

I put a friend of mine (who is a medicine student) as the head doctor of an hospital in Seattle...

That's what I can think of so far...

Peace!

Crossfire

+Quote Post
Fire Hawk
post Nov 1 2006, 02:50 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 407

Crossfire: Matt Damon was also a vampire in one of my game. He was the "mentor" of one of my players...

At least it wasn't Keiffer Sutherland. 8)

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Nov 2 2006, 10:28 PM
Post #9

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

We had Britney Spears, pre K-Fed, as the target for extraction. then we found out she was behind the run because she wantedo ut of her contract.

Sharon Stone as an Elizabeth Balthory type interested in acting as a mentor to young starlets but really...well.

Recently on a run we encounter dustin Hilton, a young, vapid, out of control heir to a ofrtune who needed nothing so much as a spanking.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Nov 2 2006, 10:32 PM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

QUOTE (Fortune)
In one of my games based out of London and Sydney, one of the biggest thorns in the sides of the characters was the head of an international piracy and smuggling ring, a smart but mean old bitch named Tiger Lily Hutchence-Geldof. :)

haha, nice. you're apparently not the only one.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Nov 2 2006, 10:35 PM
Post #11

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

We've had a SIM star from the Tir named Justin Timberlake, the Great Grandson, was a speaker's way adept. Wasn't really good for much because he just lived off his families wealth. Much like Paris Hilton now-a-days, just shows up at all the parties, gets his name out there as much as possible. Working on a run right now where he's hiring some runners for a debt elimination problem concerning the mafia.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 2 2006, 10:38 PM
Post #12

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (mfb)
haha, nice. you're apparently not the only one.

Yeah, that's one of my old web pages ... which I really need to take down one of these days. :eek:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:24 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.