IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What does a TM commcode look like?, Or do they never have one?
Cold-Dragon
post Nov 4 2006, 06:03 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,780

Even a technomancer 'subscribes' to places when they surf, be it in AR or VR (or I'm reading that wrong, it could be). Assuming they do indeed have to provide some sort of marker for them being in that part of the matrix, just what does a technomancer's commcode look like? Is it a funky garble of textual glitch, a randomly invented number that baffles even the TM? Or does he/she actually go "Hmm, I think I'll be 10010100 today." ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Konsaki
post Nov 4 2006, 06:08 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 8,445

I'm thinking it's instinctive. The TM doesnt actually choose anything, but it changes on its own when the TM spoofs her code.
Its like walking, you dont actually choose how you are going to walk, you just go. But if you want to hide your tracks or something, you would alter your stride a bit or roll your feet differently. (Best thing I could come up with off the fly)
The only difference between the commcode and walking is that once you spoof your commcode, it changes to that number until you fall asleep and turn off your brain from the matrix. Then it chooses a random commcode automaticly once it wakes up.

As for what it looks like, it most likely looks like a normal commcode so nodes will accept it. It also states in the RAW that TM's can be traced by their commcodes, so it would make sense that their commcodes are normal ones.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Nov 4 2006, 06:12 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

QUOTE (Cold-Dragon)
Even a technomancer 'subscribes' to places when they surf, be it in AR or VR (or I'm reading that wrong, it could be). Assuming they do indeed have to provide some sort of marker for them being in that part of the matrix, just what does a technomancer's commcode look like? Is it a funky garble of textual glitch, a randomly invented number that baffles even the TM? Or does he/she actually go "Hmm, I think I'll be 10010100 today." ?

There is mention that no can figure out how TM's connect to the matrix w/o equipment so my take was that they didn't leave a commcode, just an errant commcode entry or something. A trace something was there, but not directly useful.

Alternatively, I've thought *all* devices that wished to communicate need a commcode but the TM can change theirs on-demand.

The latter is more balancing IMO.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Nov 5 2006, 11:29 AM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

I try not to think about technomancers too much. I'm too afraid the stupid would infiltrate my brain. However, the technomancer would need the equivalent of an IP address to connect to the net, otherwise remote machines would have no idea where to send packets.

+Quote Post
Cold-Dragon
post Nov 6 2006, 03:54 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
I try not to think about technomancers too much. I'm too afraid the stupid would infiltrate my brain....

That's the exact reason why I asked and why I'm trying to consider what can make a Technomancer manageable. It makes sense as far as return information that they leave some sort of code that works as ID.

Thanks for opinions all. It helps. ^-^

+Quote Post
Blade
post Nov 6 2006, 08:16 AM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

Remember that TM are able to connect to the Matrix, which means that their mind can actually use standard protocols... When you're able to do that instinctively, you're able to get some working commcode without too much trouble.

+Quote Post
laughingowl
post Nov 7 2006, 03:50 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,895

For my Technomancer my GM has always pretty much treated it the same way that Hacker can change their code (either software override and/or hardware) (rules provided for each)

(spoofing the datatrail: [page: 224 BBB4).

We have pretty much ruled that on 'awakening' the TM manages to pick a valid one. If/When they want to change it, they need to 'reprogram' a number the exact same way a hacker would on his comlink.

(although my GM has always allowed it as an automatic sucess, I just need to take the 'time' (and anyone that had 'that number' can't call me anymore)

+Quote Post
Konsaki
post Nov 7 2006, 11:09 AM
Post #8

Runner

Thats why most TM's have a seperate commlink, along with other reasons. :P

+Quote Post
ReallyBored
post Nov 7 2006, 06:08 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 8,699

QUOTE (laughingowl)
For my Technomancer my GM has always pretty much treated it the same way that Hacker can change their code  (either software override and/or hardware)  (rules provided for each)

We have pretty much ruled that on 'awakening'  the TM manages to pick a valid one.  If/When they want to change it, they need to 'reprogram' a number the exact same way a hacker would on his comlink.

(although my GM has always allowed it as an automatic sucess,  I just need to take the 'time'  (and anyone that had 'that number' can't call me anymore)

IIRC, there's a mention in the datatrail section that technomancers leave unrecognizable commcodes. The only ones that can track a technomancer datatrail is another technomancer. I don't have my book with me right now, so I can't get the page number. It's probably up to the GM exactly what is left in the commcode access logs, but I figure it wouldn't hurt if the technomancer could decide and it defaults to something random if he doesn't care.

+Quote Post
Cheops
post Nov 7 2006, 11:48 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 392

My group treats it that a technomancer counts as having a commcode so everything is hunky-dory. Once someone actually goes back through the logs or actually really looks at his commcode they notice that something is amiss. We kind of visualize it as a perpetually changing alphanumeric string. Only other technomancers can see what it really is.

Basically we see TMs as ghosts in the machine. They wander around perfectly fine, interacting normally, but when you actually try to associate them to one place, at one time you can't do it as a non-TM.

+Quote Post
laughingowl
post Nov 8 2006, 12:39 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

QUOTE (ReallyBored)
QUOTE (laughingowl)
For my Technomancer my GM has always pretty much treated it the same way that Hacker can change their code  (either software override and/or hardware)  (rules provided for each)

We have pretty much ruled that on 'awakening'  the TM manages to pick a valid one.  If/When they want to change it, they need to 'reprogram' a number the exact same way a hacker would on his comlink.

(although my GM has always allowed it as an automatic sucess,  I just need to take the 'time'  (and anyone that had 'that number' can't call me anymore)

IIRC, there's a mention in the datatrail section that technomancers leave unrecognizable commcodes. The only ones that can track a technomancer datatrail is another technomancer. I don't have my book with me right now, so I can't get the page number. It's probably up to the GM exactly what is left in the commcode access logs, but I figure it wouldn't hurt if the technomancer could decide and it defaults to something random if he doesn't care.

Nothing that I can find. Do a full search on BB4

The 'closest' would be Matrix Signatures where the use of complex forms (or sprites) leave a signature just like mages. Only other technomancers (or sprites) can see/sense this.

Nothing on Data Trail, Tracking, etc mentions anything special about the TM.

+Quote Post
laughingowl
post Nov 8 2006, 12:45 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (Cheops)
My group treats it that a technomancer counts as having a commcode so everything is hunky-dory. Once someone actually goes back through the logs or actually really looks at his commcode they notice that something is amiss. We kind of visualize it as a perpetually changing alphanumeric string. Only other technomancers can see what it really is.

Basically we see TMs as ghosts in the machine. They wander around perfectly fine, interacting normally, but when you actually try to associate them to one place, at one time you can't do it as a non-TM.

Ohh dont get me wrong Alice is most certainly a Ghost in the Machine with stealth at critical things breaking 10, she aint too likely to ever be noticed.

However, as to the 'unrecognizable Access ID' how then do things subsribe to a TM...?

Now a smart TM, will change their 'Access ID' regularly. But from everything I and my GM can read, it is a 'normal' ID.

(Nothing under Spoofing the datatrail says Technomancers are any differnt. And it says you MUST have a valid access ID.)

+Quote Post
Cold-Dragon
post Nov 8 2006, 01:21 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Well, if the 'only a TM can track a TM' were accurate (which it doesn't look like at the moment) It may be that, for all the code looks good, it's not on closer examination. It's a glitch in the data that represents the TM's marker, and a hacker sees only the glitch, while a TM sees the ID in the way Tm's see their stuff.

Of course, that's assuming the 'only a TM can track a TM' bit. Otherwise, it's a real code with real benefits/drawbacks.

+Quote Post
laughingowl
post Nov 8 2006, 01:24 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Nothing in the rules gives anythig special for TM's and tracking.

Now one thing if you want this feel I would see as a valid house rule.

It just ditch the 'Hardware+Logic (2)' test to change your code, and say I TM can 'do it' (complex action maybe).

They have a totally 'legit' code, nothing special, but they are still effectively a 'ghost' since that code didnt exist 5 minutes ago and wont exist 5 minutes from now.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Nov 8 2006, 01:54 AM
Post #15

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (laughingowl)
(and anyone that had 'that number' can't call me anymore)

Your Access ID is not your ComCode.

Your ComCode is registered with a service provider - which you make a connection to.

+Quote Post
laughingowl
post Nov 8 2006, 03:59 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Is it?

The rules are rather unspecific at this.

While it would help and makes some sense if you treat 'access id' as a 'mac-address' (layer-2) and commcode as IP (layer three), the manual implies otherwise:

Exhibit A (BBB4 page 208)
Commcodes, Accounts, and Datatrails
Everyone who uses the Matrix has an access code. Your Access code is like a phone number: It's how others know where to reach you online. It's also a way which you may be tracked -- something of a concern to all shadowrunners. Details on your datatrail and protecting your privacy are covered under getting online page 214.

No mentions of 'commcodes' save in the 'Title' yet your Access code is like a phone number, how people get a hold of you. Sounds like the Commcode to me. Furthermoore it links this 'commcode' and/or 'access code' to your datatrail.

Exhibit B (BBB4 page 214)
Commcodes
Everyone using the Matrix has a personal commcode, or matrix address -- the equivilant of a cell phone number or email address -- to which their calls and messages are directed. Your commcode is usually registered with a paid Matrix service provider, though numerous free (if unreliable) and annonymous shadow-sites offer the same service.

Sounds very similiar in wording and intent to the 'access code' previously. Both a compared to a phone number, both are 'how people get ahold of you'.

Exhibit C (BBB4 page 216)
THE DATATRAIL
Every time you are online -- which is usually all of the time -- your presence is logged. Every wireless device, terminal, and wired jackpoint has a unique serial number assigned by the manufactorer (and often registered with the local telecom authorities as well). This access id is associated with all of your online transactions this record is called your datatrail, and it may be used by hackers to track you down or by law enforcement to link you to certain crimes or activites.

For information on spoofing your datatrail see page 224.

Now we have a new term used 'access ID' (as oppossed to 'code') yet. The description pretty well matches the 'accces code' from the Commcodes, accounts, and datatrails paragraph. This paragrpah is titled 'commcodes, accounts, and datatrail' yet talks about 'access codes'. Then referes you to page 214 for more information. Page 214 rehashes the previous but is calling them 'commcodes' yet the description is the same. Then later on on 'The Datatrail' they use the term 'access id' however; from the first paragraph 'Commcodes, accounts, and datatrails' pretty much links 'commcodes' - 'access codes' and 'datatrails' since 'The Datatrail' is talking about 'access ID' it would appear that these all all the same thing. 'Commcode' = 'Access code' = 'Acccess ID'

This is further supports by:

Exhibit D (BBB4 page 219)
Track
With a track action, you can trace a user's datatrail from his icon back to his physical location. This is different from a Data Seach action (which is like looking someone's commcode in a directory); a trace follows the target's current connections node-by-node all the way back to the source
Once you have scored hits equal to the threshold, you've identified the targets orginating node and access ID (see authorized accesss page 215).

Here again we link the 'access ID' to the 'commcode' stressing once again that 'comcode' = 'access code' = 'access id'.

Never is there anything that implies there are seperate values, and numerous times they are used interchangably.

Given 'modern' technologies, you certain can house rule that 'access code' / 'access ID' is a layer 2 (MAC-Address if ethernet) and that 'commcode' is a layer 3 (IP for tcp/ip / the internet) address. Nothing directly proves this as incorrect and it does fit 'modern' topologies and technologies; however, their usage in the manual would imply that they are NOT seperate things. (or very poor editors or editors who thought they were the same thing).

Exhibit A: Commcodes is the title, yet they only mention access code. One of these has a direct link to the datatrail.

Conclusion: Commcode and Access Code are used to refer to the same value. Otherwise title would be 'Access Code, Accounts, and Datatrails'.

Exhibit B: Commcode is given an near identical description as the 'access code' also 'everyone using the matrix' has a commcode. which is comparable to Exhibit C: Every wireless devices, terminal and wired jackpoint (read everythign on the matrix) has an access id.

Conclustion: So either your wireless clothing has BOTH a commcode and a 'access id' or they are referring to one and the same thing.

Exhibit C: Everything has a 'access id' and it is leaves a record called datatrail.

Conclusion: See above. Plus, 'Access ID' creates the 'datatrail', Exhibit A, 'Commcode / access code' creates the datatrail; Commcode/access code/acccess ID are the same thing.

Exhibit D: Track is linked direcctly to 'commcode' and to 'access id' again leading us to say that they are one and the same. Both say they 'create the datatrail', track is linked to both of them. Nothing directly states a 'difference' between the two. Hence: Commcode/access code/access ID are the same.

(editted to remove quotes since they werent working)

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Nov 8 2006, 05:25 AM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 1,320

I wouldn't just give a technomancer the ability to change their access ID at will. I'd say that comes with their equivalent "masking metamagic" ability.

+Quote Post
Konsaki
post Nov 8 2006, 05:40 AM
Post #18

Runner

TM's have the ability, along with hackers, as long as they have the Spoof CF. It's as easy as a TN-2 roll to change your code.

+Quote Post
laughingowl
post Nov 8 2006, 05:44 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
I wouldn't just give a technomancer the ability to change their access ID at will. I'd say that comes with their equivalent "masking metamagic" ability.

Well the 'metatechna skill' would be SIGNATURE masking. (same as with mages).

All hacker can re-program their access id.

Technomancers by 'raw' can do so also with a hardware+logic (2) roll. (Guess your brain is hardware :-)

Or can temporarily 'spoof' the access ID with a hacking + spoof program (2) test.

For the game I am in, we have pretty much deciced those are 'easy' enough tests, and it seems the Technomancer should be able to do it easier then a hacker, that we just say they can do it with some mental focus. (never come down to how long, never tried to do it in a 'combat' situations. It has always been I focus for a bit and get a new commcode for my living persona.

Now an Echo that duplciated Flexiable signature for mages COULD be useful (if there are enough 'enemy Techomancers to be worth while').

Also I could see a 'Echo' for masking, that is basically increasing the threshold to detect a hidden mode PAN by submersion grade. (making it very unlikely the TM is 'scanned' and found if they want to be hidden).

+Quote Post
laughingowl
post Nov 8 2006, 05:45 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

QUOTE (Konsaki)
TM's have the ability, along with hackers, as long as they have the Spoof CF. It's as easy as a TN-2 roll to change your code.

Or a hardware+logic(2)

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Nov 8 2006, 11:12 AM
Post #21

Hoppelhäschen 5000

QUOTE (laughingowl @ Nov 8 2006, 05:59 AM)
While it would help and makes some sense if you treat 'access id' as a 'mac-address' (layer-2) and commcode as IP (layer three),  the manual implies otherwise:

No.
It's like IPv6 and a SIP registrar/proxy.

QUOTE (laughingowl)
Sounds very similiar in wording and intent to the 'access code' previously.  Both a compared to a phone number, both are 'how people get ahold of you'.

Yet both are different. It's like saying your IP address and VoIP phone number are the same:

The rules explicitly state that you can choose not to link up to your comcodes - but you have to have an Access ID.

+Quote Post
laughingowl
post Nov 9 2006, 01:29 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
The rules explicitly state that you can choose not to link up to your comcodes - but you have to have an Access ID.

Link please.

My quote from page 208: "Commcodes, Accounts, and Datatrails" It is pretty explicit: "Everyone who uses the matrix has an 'access code'. Your access code is like a phone number."

So you HAVE to have a commcode. (inference since the titale is Commcodes... and no mention of commcodes i made in paragraph, 'Access code' has to be another term for 'commcode').

(BBB4 Page 214)
[quote]
Commcodes
Everyone using the Matrix has a personal commcode, or Matrix Address -- The equivilant of a cell phone number or email address -- to which their calls and messages are directed."

Your commcode is usaully registered with a paid matrix service provider, though numerous free (if unrealiable) and anonymous shadow-sites offer the same service. Hacker and shadowrunners - and other criminals - typically pay extra for the anonyminity and extra security of a black commcode.

When you are online (and when aren't you?), your commlink is usually set to automactically link to your provider(s) so that all calls and messages are immediately forwarded to you. You can chose to cut this link and 'run silent' in order to avoid the risk of someone tracing your link to your current whereabouts (meaning your messages will be stored until retrieved later).{/quote]

Key points to note:
'Your commcode is usually registered with a provider!"

This means that the commcode is unique to your 'device' NOT your provider. It is NOT a phone number (owened by the provider) but and 'access code' (or access ID) that is unique to you / your device.

Page 208 makes it explicit that everyone on the matrix has a commcode (which appaears to be analogous with 'access code' and from reference Access ID.

The rules as written are pretty straightfoward in parasing that commcode/access code/access ID are all the same.

Now what we are NEVER directly given is how people 'reach' you.

Page 214 makes it clear that your commcode is registered with a provider who stores you messages/calls when you arent linked.

However to be online you have to have a commcode (page 208), this means that what ever 'address' (FQDN?) that people are contacting to leave a message is not your actual 'commcode' otherwise it would go straight to you and not your provider.

Now I agree by the 'names' I would assume that commcode is the 'friendly' name that is used by people to contact you.

Access code / Access ID is the unique address of what ever device you are using.

However the maunal is pretty consitant of using all three of them for the same thing, as referenced by my quotes.

'RAW" Access ID, Acccss Code, Commcode are all the same. what people use to 'call' you is undefined.

Now a logical (by names) house rule, would be to break Access Code / Access ID to a physical device ID. And 'commcode' to be the virtual name/address that is then linked to a access ID/Code.

However if you are going to do that you need to replace every reference of 'commcode' to Access ID/Access Code in the manual, and 'commcode' becomes the at present undefined term for the 'address' people call/leave messages at that you registered with a provider.

All of the rules for tracking / spoofing etc are written as if: Access ID / Access Code / Commcode are one and the same.

So for the 'rules' use any of those terms. Now if you house rule, the 'rules' are all re-written using 'access ID' and that 'commcode' is the udefined 'how somebody leaves a message for you when not online' that works well. but you have to put this definition in also.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Nov 9 2006, 12:55 PM
Post #23

Hoppelhäschen 5000

QUOTE (laughingowl)
Link please.

QUOTE (SR4v3 @ p. 214, Commcodes)
Everyone using the Matrix has a personal commcode, or Matrix address—the equivalent of a cell phone number or email address—to which their calls and messages are directed.
Your commcode is usually registered with a paid Matrix service provider, though numerous free (if unreliable) and anonymous shadow-sites off er the same service.
[...]
When you’re online (and when aren’t you?), your commlink is usually set to automatically link to your provider(s) so that all calls and messages are immediately forwarded to you. You can choose to cut this link and “run silent” in order to avoid the risk of someone tracing that link to your current whereabouts (meaning your messages will be stored until retrieved later).

Baiscally, your CommCode is a VoIP- & eMail-address rolled in one.

QUOTE (laughingowl)
This means that the commcode is unique to your 'device' NOT your provider.

Wrong. The rules states that, if not linked up, you still get mails and calls to that CommCode, which the provider stores. So your interpretation is flat out impossible.

QUOTE (laughingowl)
It is NOT a phone number (owened by the provider) but and 'access code' (or access ID) that is unique to you / your device.

Where did you pull that assumption from? Access code and Access ID are different terms, obviously.

QUOTE (laughingowl)
All of the rules for tracking / spoofing etc are written as if: Access ID / Access Code / Commcode are one and the same.

No. To spoof an Access ID aka physical address, you just need to change your setup.
To get access to someones commcode, you need to tap his link or fake his id with his provider.

BTW: 'access code' is no game term - it's used for 'password' in many occasions.

PS: Learn to quote. ;)

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Nov 9 2006, 01:23 PM
Post #24

Karma Police

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,505

I don't see were this "commcode and Access ID is the same" buisness is coming from. I never got that impression from reading the books, and I don't get it now from the quotes given.

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Nov 9 2006, 01:31 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 7,534

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (laughingowl @ Nov 7 2006, 05:50 AM)
(and anyone that had 'that number' can't call me anymore)

Your Access ID is not your ComCode.

Your ComCode is registered with a service provider - which you make a connection to.

\signed

see SGM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 11:50 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.