Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Adepts and Quickening, a question of if
Ophis
post Nov 4 2006, 06:01 PM
Post #1

Mystery Archaeologist

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,760

Okay a player in my group asked me a question that got me thinking.

If an Adept has the living focus ability from street magic can he aquire the quickening metamagic to use with these spells?

I would say no,but I'm not sure. My gut says the Adept never has true control over the spell so can't quicken it, but the write ups don't make it clear. Any thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Nov 4 2006, 07:50 PM
Post #2

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

I always pictured quickening similar to Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, tying the threads off of the spell you cast, which, to me at least, suggests a level of control of the spell beyond maintaining it. It really has no basis in SR magic I suppose, just how I look at it.

+Quote Post
Triggerz
post Nov 4 2006, 08:08 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,590

Sadly, I don't have a solid answer to your question. My call would be that adepts can't use Quickening unless they can cast spells (e.g. Mystic Adept), but that's just my personal interpretation/preference.

I'll add another question about the Living Focus power though, or maybe sustained spells in general. If a mage casts a levitation spell that an adept sustains, can the adept control the levitation fully or does the mage still have to "drive" him around? And more generally, if the mage casts and sustains a sustained spell on someone else, is it possible to give control of the spells effects to the person the spell is cast on? For example, if a mage casts levitation on another character, can the character control where he levitates?

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Nov 4 2006, 08:16 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

An adept first quickens when he "dies" for the first time. After that, he can gain power by decapitating other adepts and stealing their quickenings.

There can be only one!!

+Quote Post
knasser
post Nov 4 2006, 08:23 PM
Post #5

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

QUOTE (Glyph)
An adept first quickens when he "dies" for the first time. After that, he can gain power by decapitating other adepts and stealing their quickenings.

There can be only one!!

No. There should have been only one.

Sadly, they went on to make episodes II and III. :(

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Nov 4 2006, 08:30 PM
Post #6

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

:please:

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Nov 4 2006, 08:36 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

They even made IV :eek:
QUOTE (Triggerz)
I'll add another question about the Living Focus power though, or maybe sustained spells in general. If a mage casts a levitation spell that an adept sustains, can the adept control the levitation fully or does the mage still have to "drive" him around? And more generally, if the mage casts and sustains a sustained spell on someone else, is it possible to give control of the spells effects to the person the spell is cast on? For example, if a mage casts levitation on another character, can the character control where he levitates?

Second part of the question, a sure no.
First part, I might just allow an adept with living focus to take over the spell completely, so he can direct the levitate spell. I don't think it's in the rules...

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Nov 4 2006, 08:46 PM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (Butterblume)

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Nov 4 2006, 09:25 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

There can be only five? Nah, that sounds so wrong. The highlanderish seven, that's the ticket!

+Quote Post
L.D
post Nov 5 2006, 10:19 AM
Post #10

Harlequin

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 861

"There can only be one t'ousand!"
- Nac mac feegle

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Nov 5 2006, 10:47 AM
Post #11

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (Butterblume @ Nov 4 2006, 03:36 PM)

IV and V don't count because they were based on the TV series Universe and not the movie Universe.

You see, the TV series is actually better than the movies in some ways due to the superior character development and character interactions. The action is a bit formulaic however, but the characters certainly make up for it. Unfortunately, it started sucking after they killed off Richie but a guest appearance by Roger Daltry was always brightened things up.

But you shouldn't forget the new Anime movie or the heavily toned-down animated series (I understand that the animated series was aimed at children but it could have used more decapitations).

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 5 2006, 04:22 PM
Post #12

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
... but it could have used more decapitations.

That could be said for just about anything. ;)

+Quote Post
Digital Heroin
post Nov 5 2006, 06:11 PM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,302

To weigh in on the actual subject at hand: I'd say, as mentioned, that a Mystical Adept, as a blend of Adept and more traditional caster/summoner, would be able to learn Quickening, but a straight up Adept wouldn't, for mainly the same reason common to that stance. They don't know how to use Sorcery, they can't control Mana in that fundamental mindset.

To weigh in on the tangent in two ways.

First: AAAAAAUGH, another? Ok, bonus points for digging up the corpse of all of these actors careers, especially for bringing Methos in, but I see so much as one WWE wrestler and I will personally go make sure Adrian Paul has no chance of being the One.

Second: I actually had a viable set of rules for handling Highlander style immortality in 3rd Edition a while back. Sadly all of those rules where scribbled in the margins of the sheet of the one Immortal I ever made, and the sheet has been lost.

+Quote Post
Protagonist
post Nov 6 2006, 12:50 AM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 8,459

With a fifth in the works.

You missed the animated one being made, so six :eek: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0465657/

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:01 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.