IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sense Removal Spell– Only negative PERCEPTION?, Clarification? Mistake? Other Senses?
The Jopp
post Nov 8 2006, 12:32 PM
Post #1

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 948

Ok, I’ve got my mage throwing Sense Removal (Tactile) on a bunch of guards…and they get a limit on their PERCEPTION? (SM page 171)

Now, since touch/tactile is a very important sense (because it IS a sense regardless of what they might have meant by the spell) shouldn’t the modifiers be more severe? Like a negative dicepool on everything you do?

If I suddenly (in mid-lunge, throwing myself to the floor) lost my sense of touch I wouldn’t feel the clothes on my body, my hands touching the floor to lessen the impact or even the gun in my hand. For some reason I feel like the effect should be a tad bit more severe than loss of perception dice.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kev
post Nov 8 2006, 01:06 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,063

Um, then have your GM houserule it. It's probably not covered in the rulebook due to game balance issues.

I'd tend to agree, but the fact that you lose dice for EVERY action you do should bump up the drain on the spell, if only a point or two.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Nov 8 2006, 01:17 PM
Post #3

Runner

QUOTE (Kev)
Um, then have your GM houserule it. It's probably not covered in the rulebook due to game balance issues.

Well, one could define penalties depending on the action. or use the following add-on.

For physical actions depending on the sense (Sight, Touch etc) they count as the "Gremlins" flaw at a rating of the spells net successes (five successes means a rating 5 Gremlin flaw).

This would only give them a higher risk of glitch but not actually reduce their pool.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Nov 9 2006, 01:28 AM
Post #4

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

Losing your sense of touch would not make you incapable of standing, at least I don't think it would. It would mean however you wouldn't feel the bullet slam into your body until the little alarms went off in your head saying that limbs weren't reporting back properly.

+Quote Post
Garrowolf
post Nov 9 2006, 04:36 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,517

Why not add multisense to the spell and up the drain code a little?
Then have it remove ALL senses!
A sensory deprevation spell!

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Nov 9 2006, 05:37 AM
Post #6

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

meh, that's what sustaining foci are for...

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Nov 9 2006, 05:58 AM
Post #7

Runner

QUOTE (Nikoli)
Losing your sense of touch would not make you incapable of standing, at least I don't think it would. It would mean however you wouldn't feel the bullet slam into your body until the little alarms went off in your head saying that limbs weren't reporting back properly.

It's also the little problem with not feeling your own feet when running down a corridor and thus not knowing if you HAVE set down your foot correctly - end result, you become clumsy and un co-ordinated in your movements.

Losing ones sense of touch would also most likely be limited to the skin very much like local anastethics so the bullet will still be felt, and even if it did not you would still feel the effects.

+Quote Post
Garrowolf
post Nov 9 2006, 06:00 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

I think of guards loosing sense of touch and sight together is more ammusing.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Nov 9 2006, 03:22 PM
Post #9

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (Nikoli @ Nov 8 2006, 08:28 PM)
Losing your sense of touch would not make you incapable of standing, at least I don't think it would.  It would mean however you wouldn't feel the bullet slam into your body until the little alarms went off in your head saying that limbs weren't reporting back properly.

Yes you would. It's remove sence(tactile). Tactition (touch) is different from nociception (pain). It uses a completely different set of nerves. The subject would also still be able to feel temperature (thermoception) as well as the position of their limbs (proprioception) as well as keep their balance (equilibrioception).
Although I will admit that not ALL neurologists will agree that there are nine primary human senses, most will.
Then again, if you can convince your GM to go with the grade school "five senses" and lump all the extras in with touch, you've got a pretty powerful spell there.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Nov 9 2006, 03:50 PM
Post #10

ghostrider

Member No.: 6,333

Given that the result is an effect on perception, I would conclude that it's a pretty limited spell, yes, but limited intentionally. In other words, the purpose of the spell probably wasn't "make guards unable to fire a weapon because they can't feel it" and more "numb that dude up a little so I can take something out of his pocket without him noticing".

I didn't write it, of course, so I can't be certain of the intent, but if a spell is called "Sense Removal" and the effect is "lose a few perception dice", I don't think it was ever meant to be a super useful combat spell. Out of curiosity, what is that spell lumped under (combat, detection, etc)?

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Nov 9 2006, 04:00 PM
Post #11

The back-up plan

Member No.: 3,910

IIRC, it's a negative Detection spell. Removing senses rather than adding to them.

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Nov 9 2006, 09:00 PM
Post #12

Karma Police

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,505

Loosing sense of touch wouldn't impact movement at all. That's sense of ballance you're thinking of. The only reason you know that you put your foot to the ground is not that you feel the ground, that's just silly. You feel a lot less through a pair of boots, does that impact your ability to walk? The information your brain is getting when you take a step is that your leg is halting it's stepping movement because your foot hit the ground. You don't need sense of touch to feel your arms and legs. If you can't feel your limbs at all, that means you're paralyzed. Feeling in this sense is not tactile feeling, but an instinctive notion of how your arms and legs are positioned. Loosing sense of touch would severely effect manipulating things with your hands, and you would run a higher risk to hurt yourself on hot or sharp things, that's about it.

I mean, you would certainly be inclined to watch your feet in stairs and on uneven ground. If you think about it, everybody knows when they really rely on touch to walk. It's when you can't predict how the ground looks. And even then, sight is better than touch. In normal circumstances, when the ground is even, you don't need to use neither sight or touch.

(oops, seems Moon-Hawk covered this already. oh well, call it an elaboration then :))

+Quote Post
Garrowolf
post Nov 10 2006, 06:30 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Okay I would suggest that at -6 it becomes total. That would put it at the same level as total darkness.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 07:53 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.