IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Game rules and math, What is too complicated?
Should multiplication and division be avoided?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 73
Guests cannot vote 
Serbitar
post Nov 10 2006, 09:54 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,534

Most rules try to use only addition and subtraction.
Is multiplication (and to an extent division) too complicated to use in live game rules?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Nov 10 2006, 10:00 AM
Post #2

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (Serbitar)
Most rules try to use only addition and subtraction.
Is multiplication (and to an extent division) too complicated to use in live game rules?

Derivation and Integration aren't too complicated to use in live game rules, in my opinion.

Multiplication and division are generally faster than equivalent addition and subtraction. If they were not then that would be useless.

+Quote Post
Smed
post Nov 10 2006, 12:29 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 241

I think Shadowrun should move to a variable target number system... :wink:

+Quote Post
Blade
post Nov 10 2006, 01:38 PM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

Depends on what and why.

I don't have any troubles with multiplying an attribute or skill by 2 but dividing by 2,43*log(28) is a bit more complicated.
Dividing is okay as long as explicitely written if it's rounded up or down and if it doesn't lead to mass minmaxing.

But multplication and division also have to be really useful. If the rule can be as good while avoiding them, it's just as fine.

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Nov 10 2006, 01:42 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Examples include:

Allies cost increasing exponentially with force
AP modifiers that add armor rating (like -2/+Impact)

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Nov 10 2006, 03:01 PM
Post #6

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

QUOTE (Smed)

Rather than a variable threshold system...which is the same amount of the so called "fiat and handwaving" of the variable TN system that it "replaced and streamlined"? ;)

I chose the second option. Regardless of when you learned to do so, multiplication and division should be left out of anything that is supposed to move quickly.

+Quote Post
Mal-2
post Nov 10 2006, 03:12 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 5,889

Multiplying and dividing are okay, as long as they are with small numbers. A multiplier or divisor higher than 3 or 4 is getting too big (with an exception made for powers of 10, perhaps). The same goes for summing sequences of numbers too, anything more that 3 or 4 terms is getting to be too much math.

I'd be willing to make some exceptions for things that are done rarely, or can be calculated in downtime.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Nov 10 2006, 03:31 PM
Post #8

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

I'm with Mal-2 on multiplication, can be OK if it is very simple. In some cases it is arguably better than addition/subtraction if the alternative uses much larger numbers.

However division has another problem, that of rounding off. All the divide by 2s, although not particularly slow by themselves, all have their own rules about which way to round off. :/

So that means I find myself with no option to choose on this poll.....

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Nov 10 2006, 03:33 PM
Post #9

Running Target

The rounding is definately a problem. This should always be the same. Not one exception.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Nov 10 2006, 03:38 PM
Post #10

Dragon

QUOTE (Serbitar @ Nov 10 2006, 09:33 AM)
The rounding is definately a problem. This should always be the same. Not one exception.

A blanket rule that tends to be very difficult to put into place, moreso for every extra place you add division. Far better to just build things to avoid division.

Division in many cases also tends to lead to other problems too. Such as scalability when you mix division/multiplication with subtraction. For example your ammunition/armor rules have this problem, which is really just an amplification of the core books problems with it.

+Quote Post
Chandon
post Nov 10 2006, 04:45 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,115

In Classic Deadlands, integer division of two digit numbers by 6 and 7 was part of the basic combat mechanic. It seemed like it would be really obnoxious when you first see it, but since everyone quickly realizes that it's just an application of the times tables they memorized in primary school it ends up working fine.

+Quote Post
Triggerz
post Nov 10 2006, 04:56 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,590

QUOTE (Serbitar)

In general, I'd say that multiplication is fine (for character improvement costs and such), but in general I would avoid division: it either leads to fractions or rounded numbers. In the first case, it's a mess to keep track of - e.g. (1/2)+(3/7)+(2/3)=? ... 1 and 25/42!?!?! (or the equally ugly 1.595238095(...?) ). In the second case, you lose information and granularity: Why is a strength 1 character doing the exact same damage as a strength 2 character when the latter is supposed to be twice as strong? Ideally, the system should avoid such cases.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Nov 10 2006, 04:56 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

you should go with the simplest operation that will still convey the level of realism you desire. if multiplication is realistic but addition will get you pretty realistic, go with addition. division should generally be avoided unless, as in Deadlands, you're frequently dividing by or into the same number; or if you're talking about relatively simple division (halves, thirds, occasionally even quarters).

if you're going more complex than multiplication and division, that's fine too--just provide tables.

+Quote Post
Mr. Unpronouncea...
post Nov 10 2006, 09:37 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 770

Most of the people I play with have taken Differential Equations...

addition and subtraction should be removed.

:twirl:

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Nov 10 2006, 09:38 PM
Post #15

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

If they canīt do numbers I donīt want to play with them. `Nuff said.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Nov 10 2006, 09:58 PM
Post #16

Dragon

QUOTE (Ryu @ Nov 10 2006, 03:38 PM)
If they canīt do numbers I donīt want to play with them.

Unless you are a hemophiliac you can easily survive a number of .22 rimfire shots to the shins. But WTF would you want to get shot if there was an option that involved less pain?

+Quote Post
Mr. Unpronouncea...
post Nov 10 2006, 10:04 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 770

That might have been a reply to my smart-ass remark.

It's not so bad, actually - once everyone got into the habit of watching everyone else's dice rolls.

Of course, I could do without hearing yet another reference to the holy-hand-grenade skit ever again.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Nov 10 2006, 10:27 PM
Post #18

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

Multiplication is easy. Division is bullshit.

Sorry, it's true. It's not that division is impossible, or even hard. It's that if you have five people divide small numbers by each other at the same time you'll get two or three answers. It takes a moment to reconcile everything, and that slows play down.

It shouldn't, but it does. Everyone can get the right answer multiplying 5 by 3. But people make a distressing amount of minor errors dividing 15 by 5.

Idon't know why this is, but it happens often enough that I've noticed it in many different groups.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Cain
post Nov 11 2006, 01:34 AM
Post #19

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

All math should be avoided.

After talking with a few Forgites, I've come to the conclusion that for many people, they play despite the system. This holds true for just about every game. The faster you can get to game play, the better off you are, and math is a slowdown. You can add realism through roleplay. (Incidentally, I also play with math dyslexics, so I have a lot of passion for this sort of thing.)

That being said, multiplication and division by 2, 5, and 10 is simple and quick for just about everyone. In fact, it's frequently faster to divide by ten than it is to add 2. My gaming group has been playing 7th sea, which is basically an addition system; but when the numbers start getting big, the counting and adding is slower than a "Multiply by 5" system.

QUOTE (Smed @ Nov 10 2006, 06:29 AM)

Rather than a variable threshold system...which is the same amount of the so called "fiat and handwaving" of the variable TN system that it "replaced and streamlined"? ;)

A variable threshold system essentially amounts to the same thing as a variable TN system, once you allow for exploding dice. The only meaningful difference favors variable TN's: they have better granularity.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Nov 11 2006, 02:26 AM
Post #20

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

Division by natural numbers is fine. But all kids hate dividing, even if they can handle it with some external motivation. Division is fine if the result is rounded up or down and done by a whole number.

+Quote Post
jervinator
post Nov 11 2006, 04:36 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,682

So long as I know the rules for rounding and don't have to go beyond two decimal places, I can generally do division of whole numbers in my head. Simplifying combat math for the sake of speed is fine, but some things need to be complex. Try 3g3 or VDS by BTRC.

Kids today use calculators for everything in a school system designed to hold smart kids back so that dumb people don't need therapy when they grow up. It's bad enough they enter the workforce semi-literate, but now they're dumbing down the RPGs?

+Quote Post
Triggerz
post Nov 11 2006, 06:15 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

QUOTE (jervinator)
So long as I know the rules for rounding and don't have to go beyond two decimal places, I can generally do division of whole numbers in my head. Simplifying combat math for the sake of speed is fine, but some things need to be complex. Try 3g3 or VDS by BTRC.

Kids today use calculators for everything in a school system designed to hold smart kids back so that dumb people don't need therapy when they grow up. It's bad enough they enter the workforce semi-literate, but now they're dumbing down the RPGs?

Well, I can handle maths. I'm a number-cruncher by nature, so I sort of enjoy it, but there are other issues, as I've hinted at in my post above:

In the second case, you lose information and granularity: Why is a strength 1 character doing the exact same damage as a strength 2 character when the latter is supposed to be twice as strong? Ideally, the system should avoid such cases.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Nov 11 2006, 08:09 AM
Post #23

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

There are two ways to handle this. 1) Round down so that the STR 1 character does 0 damage or 2) allow fractional damage

Dividing only reduces granularity due to rounding. No rounding means no loss in granularity.

I'm going to disagree that simple operations are the best choice. Sometimes, simple operations just make things more complicated. Case in point: Vehicle acceleration rules in 3rd and in 4th.

In 4th acceleration is the "running speed" of your vehicle, apparently. It is counterintuitive. In 3rd it was a multiplier applied to a driving test, meaning that you could get 2g acceleration in a crop-duster if the pilot has enough skill.
Are either of these solution really any more elegant that the classic (Integral)a(dt), also known as at+c? No.

Now, I won't go overboard with this, certainly mage should not be taking natural logs to determine drain, that's just perverse. However, some simple "advanced" math could really increase realism and granularity and make the system both faster and easier to grasp.

+Quote Post
Garrowolf
post Nov 11 2006, 08:34 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,517

Personally if I can't do it in my head then it is too complex for game play. Downtime stuff can be a bit more number intensive but if it slows down the game then it is not very elegant.

+Quote Post
Triggerz
post Nov 11 2006, 12:24 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

hyzmarca, my point was that the system could have been designed to avoid these cases without the need to keep track of half DVs. Anyways, it's not the end of the world, but it certainly is a very real (if unimportant) problem of division.

And I can do calculus when I have to - hell! I use it all the time in my studies -, but I'm sure it's possible to come up with decent vehicle rules that don't require any if we try a bit. (I haven't looked much into vehicle movement in SR4, so I don't know how good or bad they are. I was just using your example.)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:22 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.