IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> hand to hand combat, blocks, parrys, and dodges oh my...
6thDragon
post Nov 11 2006, 07:58 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,605

I ran into this at a recent gaming session and the rules, as written, seem ridiculous. However, in the writers defense it is probably that way for simplicity. The situation was one of the players decided to create a character with a monowhip. They got into melee combat and I realized how simplistic the rules are. I have many issues with them.

1. I don't see the monowhip being able to parry anything. It would probably cut the weapon in half and the parryer (if that's a word) could get hit by the remainder of the weapon as it becomes a projectile.

2. I don't see anything being able to parry a monowhip either as the monowhip would simply cut the weapon in half.

3. I think shock weapons would be difficult to parry also, especially if the weapon is metal.

4. There are many things I would not want to block unarmed such as blades, shock weapons, monowhips. IRL you would much rather dodge those.

Has anyone else ran into these problems? If so how have you fixed them.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Konsaki
post Nov 11 2006, 08:01 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 8,445

When you are blocking unarmed, you arnt actually touching the weapon. You are blocking the attackers arm or feinting enough to throw off his aim.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Nov 11 2006, 08:03 PM
Post #3

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

The abstract nature of the melee rules are meant to avoid all these problems. The defender doesn't necessarely block the monowhip with his own weapon. Maybe he dodges the hit, hides behind something, maybe he block the swing arm rather than the weapon, etc. Just don't try to ground the moves as something specific. One round of melee isn't "I punch his face, then he punches mine", just as it isn't "he swings, I block,"

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Nov 11 2006, 08:07 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

1) monowire can't exist anyways, or so it has been stated on these forums. just assume that, for whatever reason, it doesn't chop through anything quite that easily. i mean, really... it's gotta be thick enough to withstand some rather violent use, and it's only got a very little ball at the end supplying the force. 8P won't even kill someone, really. besides, you could just smack that little ball thing at the end to deflect it.

2) shock weapons must presumably have some non-active parts. furthermore, i would assume that many weapons are not necessarily made of metal. plasteel is pretty commonly used. who knows, maybe it's a good insulator?

3) if you have issues with seeing certain attacks as parrys, fine. i assure you, lots of martial arts include teaching you how to dodge as well as parry... just call it something else if the name bothers you. always remember: you can flavor your mechanics however you please without affecting balance in the slightest.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Nov 11 2006, 08:14 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

I agree that the rules are very simplistic, and you might consider adopting some kind of house rules if they seem too simplistic for certain circumstances. But there are ways you can justify the situations that you brought up using the current rules:

1. A monowhip parrying would probably consist of swinging the whip around in defensive arcs, while the attacker tried to get past it.

2 - 4. What Konsaki said. Also, the rules do already include grazing hits for things like shock weapons, so they are slightly harder to block. Furthermore, the reach rules approximate the difficulty of blocking weapons bare-handed.

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Nov 11 2006, 08:33 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 9,168

And overall, Shadowrun isn't a game about melee combat. Some people are trying to fix that, but it's only a small subsection of the entire combat arena. So unified, simple rules were the choice made....

So short answer: I see the issues, and have thought about them, and ignored them in the interested of keeping the system useful. ;)

+Quote Post
Smed
post Nov 11 2006, 08:34 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 241

Me too. Streamlined gameplay is more important to me than ultra-realism.

+Quote Post
Blade
post Nov 11 2006, 08:58 PM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

If you stricly apply firearms rules, someone with his gun at 2cm of someone else's head might still miss.

Usually, roleplaying and having a GM somewhere around the table help solving those problems. Common sense is quite useful too.

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Nov 12 2006, 11:18 AM
Post #9

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

Problems like this should be taken as Ideas for when the defender glitches.

"Ooops, you manage to avoid the Monowhip, you grin to yourself for a moment and then with a ringing clang half your weapon focus' blade hits the the floor."

+Quote Post
Konsaki
post Nov 12 2006, 11:25 AM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 8,445

Could be, but how many times are you actually going to come across someone with a Monowhip? It takes an assload of skill to use and even then, you can easily kill yourself instead of the other guy.

You have to be either really confident in your abilities or really crazy.

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Nov 12 2006, 11:40 AM
Post #11

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

There are a lot of crazies in my version of the Sixth World. Monowhips are the toys of hard asses and stupid gangers.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Nov 12 2006, 04:26 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (Ophis)
There are a lot of crazies in my version of the Sixth World. Monowhips are the toys of hard asses and stupid gangers.

and for people with access to spirits that have the guard power.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Nov 13 2006, 06:51 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

QUOTE (6thDragon)
I ran into this at a recent gaming session and the rules, as written, seem ridiculous. However, in the writers defense it is probably that way for simplicity. The situation was one of the players decided to create a character with a monowhip. They got into melee combat and I realized how simplistic the rules are. I have many issues with them.

1. I don't see the monowhip being able to parry anything. It would probably cut the weapon in half and the parryer (if that's a word) could get hit by the remainder of the weapon as it becomes a projectile.

2. I don't see anything being able to parry a monowhip either as the monowhip would simply cut the weapon in half.

3. I think shock weapons would be difficult to parry also, especially if the weapon is metal.

4. There are many things I would not want to block unarmed such as blades, shock weapons, monowhips. IRL you would much rather dodge those.

Has anyone else ran into these problems? If so how have you fixed them.

If you've had any hand-to-hand training you'll realize you can block/parry with or without a weapon. Although blocking a mono-whip would be painful using your own body parts, lol.

In the nature of simplicity, you could rule that blocking/parrying is using environmental items (yourself, carried items, chairs, walls, doors, etc.) to avoid the attack. I'd GM call on what you can or can't block/parry given the attack and what you've got handy and maybe a structural test to see if it breaks if the item is important enough.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Nov 15 2006, 02:22 AM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
In the nature of simplicity, you could rule that blocking/parrying is using environmental items (yourself, carried items, chairs, walls, doors, etc.) to avoid the attack. I'd GM call on what you can or can't block/parry given the attack and what you've got handy and maybe a structural test to see if it breaks if the item is important enough.

In other words, Shadowrun meets Jackie Chan.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Nov 15 2006, 03:00 AM
Post #15

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

QUOTE (Blade)
Usually, roleplaying and having a GM somewhere around the table help solving those problems. Common sense is quite useful too.

A-freaking-men. But shhhh...someone might hear you. ;)

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Nov 15 2006, 03:07 AM
Post #16

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Making monowire parry-able also makes it reasonable. Rather than a chain of single molecules, make it just cermaic fishing line with a very sharp edge.

+Quote Post
Jack Kain
post Nov 15 2006, 03:39 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,630

QUOTE (Blade)
If you stricly apply firearms rules, someone with his gun at 2cm of someone else's head might still miss.

They miss becasue the target moves before you shoot or knocks the gun away with there hand. Assuming they aren't helpless and are aware of the attack dodging gunfire can be easier at close range. Thats why you face a -3 penalty when using a ranged weapon while in melee with somone.

*You'd parry a monofilament whip by striking the weighted tip that's used to guide mono wire.
You could also rush in close and parry the arm away.

You won't find a monowhip on any gangers or low-level corp security. But a Tri-Ghost level foe might use one. The monowhip is for guys with last names not red shirts. (who would kill themselves)
But for those who have the attributes and skill. The Mono whip is death to your enemies.

My own elf uses one and he rolls 12 dice when attacking with his whip. 14 if he adds reach into the attack. His reaction is one lower then his agility so to parry he'd roll one less.
Now at 12 dice he'd need at least six ones and no hits to critical glitch.
Any math wiz want to caculate the chance of a critical glitch coming up on 12 dice?

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Nov 15 2006, 05:31 AM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Nov 13 2006, 01:51 PM)
In the nature of simplicity, you could rule that blocking/parrying is using environmental items (yourself, carried items, chairs, walls, doors, etc.) to avoid the attack.  I'd GM call on what you can or can't block/parry given the attack and what you've got handy and maybe a structural test to see if it breaks if the item is important enough.

In other words, Shadowrun meets Jackie Chan.

:rotfl:

+Quote Post
Jack Kain
post Nov 15 2006, 06:45 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,630

A thought just struck me.

A character can attack multiple enemies in melee in a single complex action by spliting his dice pool. Much like a character shooting a gun in each hand.

But I just realized wouldn't the full reach bonus be applied to both attacks? As the reach bonus can be used as a penalty to the enemies rolls or a bonus to yourself.
Thoughts?

+Quote Post
IvanTank
post Nov 15 2006, 07:30 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,866

I was wondering about that myself. At what point does the dice pool get split when attacking multiple enemies, before or after given modifiers (Visibility, Reach, Weapon Focus, Charging, Wounds, Position, etc.). The Reach modifier seems like it would have to be applied seperately, because two enemies may have different Reaches themselves.

My thinking is you take Agiliy + Skill ( + Weapon Focus? ), split those dice among two attacks, and add the modifiers seperately to both attacks. I am not sure if the weapon focus bonus should come before or after the split, meaning do you get the full bonus to both attacks, or do you have to split the bonus.

+Quote Post
Triggerz
post Nov 15 2006, 07:49 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,590

Or just use the same rule as for smartlinks in dual-wielding ranged combat and ignore reach entirely. :grinbig: (Seriously, I can't wait for the advanced melee combat rules with martial arts and such.)

+Quote Post
OneTrikPony
post Nov 15 2006, 08:41 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,299

Waaay back in SR2 I had a troll with a cyberarm shotgun. In one of our first adventures my character was facing a snobby human who wasn't cooperating.

me: I reach accross the table and grab the b*ch by the head.
GM: make an attack roll.
Me: (re roll two sixes) I got 11,
Gm: (throws a handfull of dice) You're palming her head like a mini basket ball.
Me: I ask her one more time where it is.
GM: (throws another handfull of dice) she's just struggleing and screaming into your hand she doesn't answer.
Me: I shoot her in the face with my cybergun. "Kaboom"
Table: Dead silence and surprised looks for a minute then Cheers.
GM: Fine! she's dead you ass.

It was one of my proudest moments; no rolls needed, it wouldn't have fit the scenario that I'd role played. Some times you just have to look at the situation and see if the rules are necessary or if you just need to make a ruleing at the table.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 15 2006, 09:15 PM
Post #23

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (IvanTank)
At what point does the dice pool get split when attacking multiple enemies, before or after given modifiers (Visibility, Reach, Weapon Focus, Charging, Wounds, Position, etc.).

The Dice Pool is split before any modifiers are applied. That means you take (only) Agility + Weapon Skill, halve that, and only then apply any and all modifiers to each seperate Pool.

+Quote Post
IvanTank
post Nov 15 2006, 09:20 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,866

QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (IvanTank @ Nov 16 2006, 06:30 AM)
At what point does the dice pool get split when attacking multiple enemies, before or after given modifiers (Visibility, Reach, Weapon Focus, Charging, Wounds, Position, etc.).

The Dice Pool is split before any modifiers are applied. That means you take (only) Agility + Weapon Skill, halve that, and only then apply any and all modifiers to each seperate Pool.

Do you have to split it in half? Example, you have a dice pool of 12, and you are going against a human mage in la-la land and the big ass troll protecting him. Could you decide to throw 4 dice at the mage and 8 dice at the troll, since he might take a bit more to deal with?

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Nov 15 2006, 09:36 PM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (OneTrikPony)
Waaay back in SR2 I had a troll with a cyberarm shotgun. In one of our first adventures my character was facing a snobby human who wasn't cooperating.

me: I reach accross the table and grab the b*ch by the head.
GM: make an attack roll.
Me: (re roll two sixes) I got 11,
Gm: (throws a handfull of dice) You're palming her head like a mini basket ball.
Me: I ask her one more time where it is.
GM: (throws another handfull of dice) she's just struggleing and screaming into your hand she doesn't answer.
Me: I shoot her in the face with my cybergun. "Kaboom"
Table: Dead silence and surprised looks for a minute then Cheers.
GM: Fine! she's dead you ass.

It was one of my proudest moments; no rolls needed, it wouldn't have fit the scenario that I'd role played. Some times you just have to look at the situation and see if the rules are necessary or if you just need to make a ruleing at the table.

Sounds like the time my SR2 group's street sam "Pork Chop" pulled the same stunt with a fleshform while clearing out a UB chapterhouse. When he slapped his hand on the bug man's forehead, he bellowed in his very best televangelist voice "Be HEALED my brother!" then triggered the cyberarm shotgun.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:19 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.