IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hacker/TM Qualities, *What* makes a hacker so?
GrinderTheTroll
post Nov 15 2006, 06:18 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,465

Some of the Qualities give more BP bonus for Hacker/TM characters. Given SR leaves the terms "class" or "archtype" up to the player, what's going to make a character qualify as a "hacker" to get the extra BP Bonus for some qualities?

I was thinking perhaps a skill > 3 in any one (or more) of the Cracking Group skills.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

~GTT
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Nov 15 2006, 06:27 PM
Post #2

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

It is hard to judge intent 100%, and that's pretty much what that comes down to. Judging intent. However I'll say that if I felt the primary or secondary field of the new character was geared towards Matrix activities that'd do it. Ironically Electronics and Cracking Groups each at 1 and a decent commlink and an assortment of software is likely to have me say "hacker". A single Data Search 4 by itself? Likely "Not hacker".

EDIT: Oops, had the wrong name for the "Electronics" group.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Nov 15 2006, 06:31 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

QUOTE (blakkie)
It is hard to judge intent 100%, and that's pretty much what that comes down to. Judging intent. However I'll say that if I felt the primary or secondary field of the new character was geared towards Matrix activities that'd do it. Ironically Computer and Cracking Groups each at 1 and a decent commlink and an assortment of software is likely to have me say "hacker". A single Data Search 4 by itself? Likely "Not hacker".

Cracking Skill Group = Cybercombat, Electronic Warfare, Hacking.

Electronics Skill Group = Computer, Data Search, Hardware, Software.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Nov 15 2006, 07:31 PM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
what's going to make a character qualify as a "hacker" to get the extra BP Bonus for some qualities?

The last time this topic came up, someone (forget who) proposed a rather neat solution:

Any BP received from taking "hacker" versions of qualities may only be spent on buying computer-related skills.

Until FanPro addresses this one in the upcoming FAQ (this was one of the questions submitted when Bull put up a thread soliciting hacking questions for the FAQ), this may be the most elegant solution.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Nov 16 2006, 03:42 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Nov 15 2006, 01:18 PM)
what's going to make a character qualify as a "hacker" to get the extra BP Bonus for some qualities?

The last time this topic came up, someone (forget who) proposed a rather neat solution:

Any BP received from taking "hacker" versions of qualities may only be spent on buying computer-related skills.

Until FanPro addresses this one in the upcoming FAQ (this was one of the questions submitted when Bull put up a thread soliciting hacking questions for the FAQ), this may be the most elegant solution.

I'm not sure how adding move overhead is elegant, all you need is a qualifier(s) for what makes a "hacker".

I don't like the house-rule of restricting the rebate BP, seems unwarranted.

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Nov 16 2006, 03:48 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 1,320

I've always considered just throwing that out. In previous incarnations of the matrix, it was pretty easy to tell who was a decker and who wasn't. These days everyone but everyone is online. I say those flaws are no easier to handle for the street sam or mage than they are for the decker, given how much people need to use AR these days.

But if you really want to keep the increased return, I'd say that a hacker is anyone with one or more skills from the cracking skill group at rating 3 or higher.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Nov 16 2006, 04:15 AM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Nov 15 2006, 12:31 PM)
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Nov 15 2006, 01:18 PM)

I'm not sure how adding move overhead is elegant, all you need is a qualifier(s) for what makes a "hacker".

I don't like the house-rule of restricting the rebate BP, seems unwarranted.

if your "hacker" can't bring himself to spend at least 5 BP on computer based skills, (10 if he takes both qualities, iirc), then he is definitely not worthy to be called a hacker.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Nov 16 2006, 04:43 AM
Post #8

Shooting Target

QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
I've always considered just throwing that out. In previous incarnations of the matrix, it was pretty easy to tell who was a decker and who wasn't. These days everyone but everyone is online. I say those flaws are no easier to handle for the street sam or mage than they are for the decker, given how much people need to use AR these days.

But if you really want to keep the increased return, I'd say that a hacker is anyone with one or more skills from the cracking skill group at rating 3 or higher.

I dunno about a Skill Group of 3. You could have someone who has Hacking 3+ and relies on not being detected instead of Cybercombat when the heat is on or using Electronic Warfare to be a hack.

Ultimately it's a GM call on who is or isn't qualified so Street_Sam_01 doesn't get Hacking 1 and a free +9 BP.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Nov 16 2006, 05:35 AM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
I dunno about a Skill Group of 3. You could have someone who has Hacking 3+ and relies on not being detected instead of Cybercombat when the heat is on or using Electronic Warfare to be a hack.

he said one or more skill from the group at 3.

thus, your hacking 3+ character fits his definition =P

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Nov 16 2006, 06:09 AM
Post #10

Shooting Target

LOL, I misread that as "Cracking Skill Group = 3". Doh!

:dead: :wobble: :eek:

+Quote Post
toturi
post Nov 16 2006, 06:49 AM
Post #11

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

There is only 1 canon Hacker. He is the Hacker archetype in the book. For now, that is the only defination of "Hacker".

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Nov 16 2006, 06:08 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

QUOTE (toturi)
There is only 1 canon Hacker. He is the Hacker archetype in the book. For now, that is the only defination of "Hacker".

Archtypes and "Class" typing are really only descriptive at best IMO.

+Quote Post
ChicagosFinest
post Nov 16 2006, 10:34 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,422

The ability the maipulate someone elses digital information without there permission and there by fucking things up is a Hacker.

as far as TM's I cant help you out on that one... maybe the ability to manipulate electronic energy wheather wired or wireless by shear will alone?

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Nov 17 2006, 12:03 AM
Post #14

Shooting Target

QUOTE (ChicagosFinest @ Nov 16 2006, 03:34 PM)
The ability the maipulate someone elses digital information without there permission and there by fucking things up is a Hacker.

as far as TM's I cant help you out on that one... maybe the ability to manipulate electronic energy wheather wired or wireless by shear will alone?

The question is:

TM = Resonance > 0.

Hacker = ???

+Quote Post
Jack Kain
post Nov 17 2006, 12:55 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,630

You have to take it by a case by case bases and if you have to ask, then he likly isn't a hacker.
A hacker is going to spend a large portion of his/her resources towards hacking related stuff.
Skills, programs etc.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Nov 17 2006, 02:22 AM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (ChicagosFinest @ Nov 16 2006, 05:34 PM)

Using that criterion, anyone in SR4 is a hacker.

as far as TM's I cant help you out on that one

That one is the obvious one. Someone who has purchased the Technomancer Positive quality is a TM.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:08 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.