Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Incompetence Flaw rebate, House ruling the incompetence Flaw
PlatonicPimp
post Nov 16 2006, 12:50 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,320

I'm working on my house rules package again, and I'm on character creation. I'm reworking the costs of most things at character creation, and qualities are on the block.

It's already been establishes that I think incompetency in skills you can default on is broken, but I'm not sure it needs to go altogether. Then this Idea came to me. I'd like some input on it.

Incompetency has a variable rebate based on two things: whether you can default on it, and what your rank is in the skill's linked attribute. This is because when you get an incompetency, you are losing these things: The ability to ever take ranks in the skill, and the dice you would have rolled.

I'd say the loss of the ability to take the skill is worth a flat rebate. All incompetencies get this. Characters get no points for incompetencies in skills they couldn't take anyway: meaning no points for magic skills unless you are an appropriate mage, and no points for resonance skills unless you are a Tehnomancer.

Being incompetent means you essentially lose (your attribute)-1 dice, since that is what you would have rolled. I'd give a rebate equal to some constant times that amount. A Skill you cannot default on doesn't get any points for this, since you couldn't make that roll anyway. A skill in which your linked attribute is 1 would likewise not receive any rebate because the resulting lost dice is Zero.

For example: A character has an Agility of 4 but is incompetent in Gymnastics. She receives a rebate of, say, 2BP for never being able to take the skill, and 1 BP per lost die, or 5 BP. Another character has a logic of 6 but is incompetent in Demolitions. He receives 7BP for his flaw. Another character has a Charisma of 1 and is incompetent in leadership. He receives 2 BP.

What do you think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 16 2006, 12:54 AM
Post #2

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

So my Agility 7 elf could get 7 BP for Incompetance: Blades, and 7 more for Incompetence: Longarms, and another 7 for any of the many other Agility-linked Skills?

+Quote Post
krayola red
post Nov 16 2006, 01:12 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,097

From what I understand, he'll get 8 BP (2 for never being able to take the skill and 6 for the number of defaulting dice lost).

Something you might want to consider is that you can't default on any of the magic skills, but taking Incompetence for one of them for a mage could be just as crippling as any other skill would be for a mundane. Under your system, the BP rebate would be disproportionate to the lost functionality.

Honestly, I don't think Incompetence really needs to be house ruled since the nature of the quality is such that it requires GM discretion no matter what you do to it, but hey, your game, your rules.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 16 2006, 01:16 AM
Post #4

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (krayola red)
From what I understand, he'll get 8 BP (2 for never being able to take the skill and 6 for the number of defaulting dice lost).

Ah right. My mistake. :D

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Nov 16 2006, 01:30 AM
Post #5

Running Target

Krayola: I'm actually reworking the whole character creation shebang, so I thought I'd give it a shot.
We need to compare the mage with incompetency (magic skills) against a mage who has no ranks in that skill. In that case, the loss of functionality is minor: Neither one can make the appropriate roll, it's just that one of them can never fix that. Don't think of it as just 2 BP, think of it as 2BP plus whatever you didn't spend on that skill in the first place. Then you'll see you are adequately compensated.

Besides, most mages who do that will probably go the aspected mage route anyway.

Fortune: Yes, that is the Idea. Does that seem a bit much to you? After all, you need the points to get his Agility that high to begin with. Your elf with an agility of has lost more to his incompetency that the Human with an agility of 3 has.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 16 2006, 01:47 AM
Post #6

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
Your elf with an agility of has lost more to his incompetency that the Human with an agility of 3 has.

Not if he never picks up a knife or shotgun.

Don't get me wrong. I don't really have a problem with Incompetence as written, because no matter what rules you use you are still going to have to relly on GM discretion.

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Nov 16 2006, 02:40 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Actually, by the reasoning you are employing (not if he never attempts the skill at all) then the incompetency is never anything BUT points for nothing.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Nov 16 2006, 03:35 AM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

So why rework the whole process? What is so flawed that you feel it needs a complete overhaul? :?

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Nov 16 2006, 03:43 AM
Post #9

Running Target

I think the discussion begins here

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...ic=15231&st=200

and goes on for several pages.

But the gist of it regards whether you should be able to take incompetence in skills you can't default on anyway. As fortune notes, at the moment there is no good way to handle incompetence as a flaw except to beat people who abuse it with a stick. I'd like a version of the flaw that reflects what it does and how we can expect a player who choses such a flaw to play it, to make the rules more balanced in the absence of a skilled GM.

I don't know if this is the way to do it, but it's my best guess so far.

+Quote Post
ixombie
post Nov 16 2006, 03:43 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,481

From an armchair GM's point of view, you might think that the problem is that incompetence doesn't pay enough back.

From a tabletop GM's point of view, however, the problem with incompetence is that chars are usually incompetent in WAY too many things. Incompetence has no limit, you can be incompetent in as many skills as you want. And if you want some free BP, just take incompetence in every skill you're never likely to use. It's incredibly rare that it will hurt you, and you can get up to the full -35 just by sacrificing skills you weren't gonna use. Sacrificing skills you weren't gonna use anyway isn't any kind of sacrifice at all...

If anything, incompetence needs to be limited by houserules, not improved. Unless you want a more powergamey game. But if that's the way you want it, I'd just say abolish the -35 BP limit on negative qualities, and don't bother mucking around with the actual points costs.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Nov 16 2006, 04:38 AM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
As fortune notes, at the moment there is no good way to handle incompetence as a flaw except to beat people who abuse it with a stick.

:rotfl:

Well said.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Nov 16 2006, 09:04 AM
Post #12

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

What you are doing is actually increasing the incentive to take incompetencies.

And in my experience, incompetencies never surface in an area the character might really need. With the number of skills linked to agility and logic, those players will now consider cerebral boosters and muscle augmentation as "basically free".

(To be fair, I´m assuming here that the concept of "lost dice" includes those gained by augmentation.)

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Nov 16 2006, 04:47 PM
Post #13

Running Target

No, actually, my intent was that it wouldn't include any augmentation dice. But I see your point, I hadn't actually considered them at all.

The Idea of linking it to the attribute is based on the ibeleif that the palyer shows where their interests lie when buying attributes, and a skill in their area of interest that they sacrifice is more of a loss than one in another area. Similar to how certain qualities pay back more for "hackers"

How about we set the equation to a multiplier of .5?
Making the equation Cost = 2 + .5 (unaugmented attribute-1).
That way the rebate is never more than the 5 BP it gives now, only less.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 16 2006, 04:52 PM
Post #14

Immoral Elf

If you are going to start giving out BP in anything other than multiples of 5, you will more than likely run into further problems along the way. You would probably have to change quite a number of Quality BP costs to balance things out, and then run into the situation where people are grabbing 2 and 3 point Qualities just to make up the numbers instead of fitting into a concept.

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Nov 16 2006, 05:36 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Well, gee, if BP can only be spent in multiples of 5, why don't we just divide all the BP costs in the book by 5 and work from there?

Though I use karma creation, so I'd actually be using different numbers. something more like 4 +(x-1) in Karma.

The idea isn't in the specific numbers but in the concept of variable payoff. Ya'll seem to hate it though. It feels like everyone has written off the idea of balancing incompetence at all.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 16 2006, 06:08 PM
Post #16

Immoral Elf

Note that I did refer specifically to Quality costs in my post, which are only available in BP costs of multiples of 5.

As far as balancing Incompetence, it really is the kind of thing that can only be acheived on a case-by-case basis for each GM. I just don't really see the need for iron-clad rules for one of the least worrisome aspects of the game ... one that can be easily solved through active GM participation in the chargen process.

+Quote Post
TheNarrator
post Nov 17 2006, 05:45 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,631

My SR4 GM declared that we couldn't take Incompetence on any skills that we couldn't default on already (which made so much sense that I hadn't realized it wasn't already a rule) and limited it by saying we couldn't have mroe than one Incompetence per skill group. Otherwise, all the non-hackers would just Incompetence all the hacker-only skills that they'd never use.

So my street sam went from having Incompetence in Software, Hacking and Cybercombat (which made sense from a flavor point of view, since those skills are all kind of interconnected... I think it'd be weird to be able to hack without knowing about software) to having it for Hacking, Archery and Instruction. I suspect that it won't make a damned bit of difference in gameplay, since I have no intention of ever using a bow or teaching a class anyway.

Under the system the OP suggested? I forsee much potential for misuse. My ork street sam (or worse yet, a troll street sam) could have gotten a lot of BP out of Incompetence(Parachuting) due to a high Body score and probably not been any more limited by it than he was by taking Instruction (which would default to his Charisma of 2). Heck, he could probably Incompetence every Body-based skill and a high Body score would still have been worth it due to its non-skill use for soaking damage. Likewise, a high-Agility elf gunslinger probably wouldn't sweat Incompetence(Archery), and I'm sure there are characters with good Intuition scores that wouldn't miss Disguise if they couldn't take it. A mage with a huge Logic won't probably miss Hacking, and a combat-type with a high Reaction won't miss most of the Pilot skills.

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Nov 17 2006, 05:52 AM
Post #18

Running Target

Well, I guess I have to save incompetency some other way.

Damn. And I thought I had a good idea for once.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 17 2006, 05:54 AM
Post #19

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
Well, I guess I have to save incompetency some other way.

Damn. And I thought I had a good idea for once.

Don't let my objections stop you. It's your game after all, and if something works for you, then that is all that counts.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Nov 17 2006, 05:59 AM
Post #20

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

Actually, thenarrator, with all the cameras around, disguise has never been more valuable, imo. pretty much, if you don't want LS to be know it was you (without being able to prove it in court because circumstantial evidence is not allowed), you'd pretty much better be disguising yourself for the cameras.

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Nov 17 2006, 06:05 AM
Post #21

Running Target

Well, my thinking was the incompetency was worth the dice lost. most people here seem to think that it's never really a loss at all, no matter how it's sliced, since if you take it you meant to never use the skill anyway. In which case it shouldn't be worth points ever.

And I'm not going for what works in my game. If I was only converned about my games I'd just get the player-beating cane out whenever it became a problem. I just like having rules sets with both a large amount of customizability, choices where no one option is obviously better than another, and a rules set you have to work at to optimize, and even then you don't overly outshine those who don't. So if I'm even going to bother with a house rule (and I will), I want it to work well on its own.

:sniff: I just want my babies to be able to make it on their own!

+Quote Post
TheNarrator
post Nov 17 2006, 06:05 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Actually, thenarrator, with all the cameras around, disguise has never been more valuable, imo. pretty much, if you don't want LS to be know it was you (without being able to prove it in court because circumstantial evidence is not allowed), you'd pretty much better be disguising yourself for the cameras.

Heh. Well, it doesn't take the Disguise skill to put on a ski mask, but I see your point. I was thinking more of combat types who'd want a high Intuition for avoiding ambushes, but wouldn't care much about impersonating people like a face or stealth type might.

Anyway, if you're defaulting on Disguise, odds are you won't get many hits unless you have a really high Intuition. What are the odds of your Intuition-1 getting more fives and sixes than a detective's Intuition+Perception? But you are correct that even little things might keep you from being identified.

Still, I'm not wrong that even in your maxed-out core attributes, you'll likely be able to find at least one skill you'd be willing to Incompetence....

Well, my thinking was the incompetency was worth the dice lost. most people here seem to think that it's never really a loss at all, no matter how it's sliced, since if you take it you meant to never use the skill anyway. In which case it shouldn't be worth points ever.

Well, no. A situation could come up where you'll wish you had it. If my street sam gets dropped in the jungle with no guns, he's gonna be hating the fact that he can't make himself a primitive ranged weapon that uses the Archery skill because he's never seen one outside of a movie (after all, its not like they're still used except for sport). Alternately (and more likely) if he ever wants to show a teammate how to use some weapon or bit of equipment or how to do something, he's out of luck due to his Incompetence at Instruction. And if he gets into a situation where he wants to learn any of those skills, he's screwed unless he can buy off the Negative Quality.

I'm not saying it's not a loss. Hell, I hated having to take any Incompetence, but Build Points were just in such short supply. I'm saying that the amount of loss has a lot less to do with how many dice you'd be tossing if you could default than it does to do with how likely you are to find yourself wanting that skill and not having it. A street sam with Incompetence in a firearm skill quite possibly deserves more than just 5 BP because of how much that'll get in his way (GM's discretion), whereas Incompetence in Underwater Basket Weaving ought not be worth points at all (and isn't).

I'm not saying you shouldn't use your system... just that you should be aware that there's potential for abuse. That people will take Incompetence in skills they don't intend to use should be obvious... after all, if they take the Negative Quality then they can't use it. Ergo, they literally can't take Incompetence in any skill they actually intend to use or think they may ever want to learn.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Nov 17 2006, 06:19 AM
Post #23

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

true, i'm sure you'd be willing to dump something.

but when you consider the possibilities of, say, disguise (obscuring) 1 (+2) then you're looking at 3 dice added onto your disguise test to conceal your identity for a mere 6 BP. of course, depending on how much your GM uses the camera thing, it may not be important. but when you consider that LS can probably map your facial structure (quite possibly even through a ski mask, i wouldn't be too surprised) from a camera, i would say it becomes important to modify the shape of your body, the way you move, your proportions, your height (thicker soles on your shoes, for example). if the police report says they're looking for a 6 foot 3 caucasian male with long brown hair when you're actually a really tall japanese girl or something, then i'd say it's pretty unlikely for you to get caught =P

and if the best you can do is make it so nobody can make out your facial features at all, and you make a point of removing any identifying habits, features, clothing, etc, then you will be much better off. and that, to me, is a disguise check.

+Quote Post
Garrowolf
post Nov 17 2006, 06:25 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,517

I don't like the idea of being able to take a bunch of incompetancies that they would never use. It's not a disadvantage if they never are hindered by it.

I think that there should be levels of Incompatencies but they should get progressivly larger including larger and larger groups of skills. I think that they should be linked to some reason for this problem.

Instead of Incomp: Skydiving, also include Phobia: Heights.

Instead of Incomp: Computer, make it Incomp: all computer skills because you get vertigo in VR or you don't trust them or you think that you could be killed by a random Black IC virus or evil AI or you feel like you are being watched by something you can't see but can see you.

Instead of Incomp: Unarmed Combat you make it Phobia: Physical Touch ranged confrontations. You always go for a gun because you are very uncomfortable with grappling or punching. You always feel that they know more about it then you do but you consider a gun an exquilizer.

How about Incomp: Academic Knowledges, because you feel that it is all lies to control the masses.

How about Incomp: All vehicle skills and mechanical skills along with Gremlins: Vehicles. You are a Jinx with cars. What would be even more interesting is if your primary interest WAS cars and you were always trying to be the driver!

+Quote Post
TheNarrator
post Nov 17 2006, 06:34 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

I think that there should be levels of Incompatencies but they should get progressivly larger including larger and larger groups of skills.

I'd wondered why there wasn't an option for Incompetence in a skill group. Strikes me that a guy who literally can't shoot a pistol because he's never seen one before probably wouldn't know what to do with an assault rifle or shotgun either. Of course, anyone who doesn't have my GM would probably just take Incompetence for every skill in the group seperately. Not to mention, that in some of the groups, the skills aren't so well-connected. I mean, I don't understand how anyone could do Hacking without knowing Software, but they're in different groups. Meanwhile, Hacking and Electronic Warfare are in the same group even though I'd think that they'd be very different....

EDIT: I edited my last post to add some stuff before I saw the last couple replies, coincidentally talking about the same "Incompetence on skills you don't think you'll use" thing you mentioned.

This post has been edited by TheNarrator: Nov 17 2006, 06:40 AM

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:15 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.