Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Assault Cannon Recoil
IvanTank
post Nov 16 2006, 07:05 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,866

What type of recoil does the panther assault cannon have? As a heavy weapon, it doubles uncompensated recoil, but since it only fires in single shot mode, the base rules have it with 0 recoil to begin with, despite the description describing it as "It comes with a smartgun system and rigid stock with shock pad, though those are hardly enough to compensate for its tremendous recoil" The stats also give it a point of recoil compensation. But I am still wondering how much is the base recoil?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Nov 16 2006, 08:52 AM
Post #2

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

You are right.

How much would the base recoil be, would the assault cannon offer more than one shot? That one needs a houserule. Iīd say 3 feels right, but its not relevant anyhow.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Nov 16 2006, 09:06 AM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

aren't there autocannon in SR4?

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Nov 16 2006, 09:26 AM
Post #4

Awakened Asset

No, only the single-shot Panther XXL. And that one did not get special rules, only the basic double recoil (no effect here).

+Quote Post
mfb
post Nov 16 2006, 10:13 AM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

well, i'm sure there will be. after all, they can't just disappear. that's why SR still has naked de--er... groundi--er... wood spir--er...

at any rate, the double recoil rules will come into play when they show up.

+Quote Post
Geekkake
post Nov 16 2006, 02:54 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,372

This argument comes up every few weeks. It's flavor, kids. Fuckin' get over it.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 16 2006, 03:04 PM
Post #7

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Geekkake @ Nov 17 2006, 01:54 AM)
This argument comes up every few weeks. It's flavor, kids. Fuckin' get over it.

And new people join every few weeks, and are inspired to ask questions that may have been previously asked. We then have the option of directing the newcomer to some of those previous threads and pretty much killing any further discussion, or try to answer the poster's question, sparking another round of lively debate.

If, on the other hand, a new member dares to resurrect a dated thread, people jump on him about it, which can plainly be seen in some threads where this has occured. Not really much of a win-win situation for the newcomer, is it?

I prefer discussion ... that's why I come here. It doesn't matter to me whether we've gone over a certain topic three dozen or three hundred times. If you are personally sick and tired of one particular topic, like say Assault Cannon recoil, then you do always have the option of not reading any thread that is dedicated to that subject.

+Quote Post
Geekkake
post Nov 16 2006, 03:08 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Well, if you don't mind rehashing the same discussion repeatedly, then I'm sure you don't mind when people come in and make the same complaints that've been made before regarding the discussion being rehashed.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 16 2006, 03:10 PM
Post #9

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (Geekkake @ Nov 17 2006, 02:08 AM)
Well, if you don't mind rehashing the same discussion repeatedly, then I'm sure you don't mind when people come in and make the same complaints that've been made before regarding the discussion being rehashed.

And how exactly do these complaints contribute to the discussion at hand?

+Quote Post
Geekkake
post Nov 16 2006, 03:30 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Real simple: It's either flavor, or it's broken. We have people on either side. As is the Dumpshock way, there is no budging. It's a dead argument rehashed a bunch of times.

I'm not going to goddamned argue with you all day about it. If my dismissal offends you or otherwise rubs you the wrong way, you, also, can feel free to ignore my responses. Kthx.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 16 2006, 03:48 PM
Post #11

Immoral Elf

Were we arguing? I was merely questioning the need for you to respond to a Dumpshock newcomer's legitimate inquiry with the phrase "Fuckin' get over it".

+Quote Post
Eben McKay
post Nov 16 2006, 03:52 PM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 9,576

QUOTE (Fortune)
Were we arguing? I was merely questioning the need for you to respond to a Dumpshock newcomer's legitimate inquiry with the phrase "Fuckin' get over it".

That's the Geekkake way, is it not?

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Nov 16 2006, 03:56 PM
Post #13

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

Discussion is welcome at Dumpshock, even if the topic has been discussed before. While we do generally ask that members try a search or two before starting a new post, we also encourage helpful contributions and posts that contribute to, rather than take away from, the discussion at hand.

QUOTE (Eben McKay)
That's the Geekkake way, is it not?

It might be, but it's not the Dumpshock way. Nor is it particularly welcome.

Thanks, and we now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

+Quote Post
IvanTank
post Nov 16 2006, 10:25 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

I did actually do a search for this question, and nothing came up. If you do a search now, all you will find is this thread. Sorry if this question has come up in the past, but I couldn't find it.

Guess I need to increase my Data Search skill... If I tip the coffee guy, I might have enough Karma...

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 16 2006, 10:40 PM
Post #15

Immoral Elf

As was said, don't worry too much about it. Fresh faces and fresh conversation with differing outlooks are what keeps communities like this one alive.

+Quote Post
Jack Kain
post Nov 16 2006, 10:55 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,630

Perhaps we need to keep this topic bumped so new comers will see it right away. I can recall other boards that bump FAQ type topics.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 16 2006, 11:15 PM
Post #17

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (Jack Kain @ Nov 17 2006, 09:55 AM)
Perhaps we need to keep this topic bumped so new comers will see it right away. I can recall other boards that bump FAQ type topics.

The problem with that, or just 'Stickying' an FAQ-type thread, is that it tends to get cluttered with assorted crap, and becomes less useful to the very people it was intended to help.

Besides, what is the harm with a newcomer posing an often asked question, getting a polite response, and feeling somewhat welcomed, and maybe even a little excited when he or she sparks off an often-held but still lively debate about the topic they started? Sounds like a win-win situation to me.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Nov 16 2006, 11:25 PM
Post #18

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

We generally don't allow bumping. If a topic is that relevant, it will stay at the top by participation.

As to stickies, we've kept them to a minimum in the past, and at present are continuing that trend. Generally for the reasons that Fortune mentioned, they aren't as useful sometimes for things that require/need actual participation in order to stray relevant. They're better for policies, announcements and the like.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Nov 16 2006, 11:27 PM
Post #19

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

Best way is to be a good DS neighbor and provide a link or suggest a search function. Which isn't the same as the angry demand that they use the search that usually comes up.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 16 2006, 11:38 PM
Post #20

Immoral Elf

Best way is to answer the damn question! :P ;)

+Quote Post
IvanTank
post Nov 17 2006, 06:59 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Is there an actual real world equivalent of Assault Cannons, or did SR just make these things up?

+Quote Post
kzt
post Nov 17 2006, 07:07 AM
Post #22

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

QUOTE (IvanTank)
Is there an actual real world equivalent of Assault Cannons, or did SR just make these things up?

They are not real, but they were stolen from Robo-cop 2 apparently. Or so it looks to the casual observer.

+Quote Post
MYST1C
post Nov 17 2006, 07:20 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

From: Braunschweig, North German League, Allied German States
Member No.: 5,537

QUOTE (kzt)
They are not real, but they were stolen from Robo-cop 2 apparently.  Or so it looks to the casual observer.

RoboCop 1.
And those "Cobra Assault Cannons" were .50BMG sniper rifles with some plastic slapped on...

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Nov 17 2006, 08:46 AM
Post #24

Awakened Asset

Iīm with Fortune here. I could be bothered to answer, and if I donīt like the question I walk on. Wanna see dumpshock at its greatest Ivan? Spark a caliber discussion.

Autocannons are platform weapons - I donīt think we need those without more advanced vehicle equipment. A troll might get to carry the single shot-version for coolness, once in a while,ut even that is stretching reality in favor of fun.

+Quote Post
Oracle
post Nov 17 2006, 08:56 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

From: Earth - Europe - AGS - Norddeutscher Bund - Hannover
Member No.: 7,624

QUOTE (IvanTank)
Is there an actual real world equivalent of Assault Cannons[...]?

Possibly the XM109 25mm Rifle from Barrett or the XM307 Autocannon?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:27 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.