Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Take Aim and Called Shot
MadDogMaddux
post Nov 19 2006, 09:06 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,349

How many rounds can a character take aim and still have stacking bonuses?

Called Shot: To avoid armor means -Armor Factor to the To-Hit pool. This is to simulate armor chinks, etc. What about called head-shots when the target is not wearing a helmet?

Seems to me that a character wearing an 8/6 Armored Jacket and a character wearing a 6/6 armored vest both have equal chance of getting hit in the pate when thus targetted.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
IvanTank
post Nov 19 2006, 09:21 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,866

From BBB (p. 137)
"The maximum number of sequential Take Aim actions a character may take is equal to one-half the character's skill with that weapon, rounded down."

Called shot is generally considered broken.

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Nov 19 2006, 09:23 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

QUOTE (MadDogMaddux)
How many rounds can a character take aim and still have stacking bonuses?

I believe half skill rating, rounded down.

Called Shot: To avoid armor means -Armor Factor to the To-Hit pool. This is to simulate armor chinks, etc. What about called head-shots when the target is not wearing a helmet?

Probably discussed to death, but since you are new to shadowrun: the rules don't allow a called headshot. Which brings me to:
Seems to me that a character wearing an 8/6 Armored Jacket and a character wearing a 6/6 armored vest both have equal chance of getting hit in the pate when thus targetted.

Logically that would make sense. Ruleswise, wearing nothing but a pair of heavily armored boots would protect your head (there are no hit-zones in SR). Trust me on this: just go with the rules instead of trying to fix this particular issue, if you don't want to rewrite the entire combat rules.

+Quote Post
Chandon
post Nov 19 2006, 09:27 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,115

The called shot rules are very powerful as is. The whole "head shot to bypass armor" mechanic has been extensively analyzed since probably before SR2 and adding it seriously warps the game - basically it creates a new combat system based on headshots that would need to go through playtesting again from the beginning. And, at that point, you might as well implement a hit location system like in Classic Deadlands.

The "take a penalty equal to their armor rating to bypass their armor" rule is a reasonable compromise that doesn't give up the no-hit-locations combat abstraction while still allowing players to make flavorful (and sometimes mechanically advantageous) called shot declarations.

If you really want to exploit called shots, use the -4 dice for +4 damage value rule. That's ultra-broken.

+Quote Post
Lord Ben
post Nov 20 2006, 12:45 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,659

Spec-ops people regularly practice head shots in hostage rescue missions and whatnot. The fact of the matter being that the head is a very lethal part of the body to hit and really in close quarters combat it's not THAT big or hard to hit for a very skilled marksman.

I personally like the fact that it's lethal to do the -4 dice and +4DV. Anyone with enough dice to spare is going to be a force to be reckoned with and firefights are very deadly.

I can see how if you want your game to be less lethal or you want to regularly get into gunfights with pro's, or if you're a GM who wants the fights to last longer so his NPC's survive that the rules don't work.

If your NPC is standing in the middle of the street firing his weapon I'm taking the headshot with EX. If you want NPC's to survive better keep driving, fast too, and keep your body mostly behind the armored door while shooting. Then I have to waste a round loading AP and dodging.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 20 2006, 01:52 AM
Post #6

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Lord Ben)
If your NPC is standing in the middle of the street firing his weapon I'm taking the headshot with EX.

And that's quite valid ... as long as you don't mind when the GM does the exact same thing to the PCs.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Nov 20 2006, 02:35 AM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i've never minded. encourages smarter tactics.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Nov 20 2006, 04:13 AM
Post #8

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

Are you calling me dumb, boy?

+Quote Post
Garrowolf
post Nov 20 2006, 06:59 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,517

Actually I was just thinking about the opposite. What KEEPS people from doing head shots all the time.

For one maybe doing the head shot requires a certain base skill. Say you can't take a penalty to do something that is higher then your skill -1. So it wouldn't be until skill 5 that people are taking head shots with a -4 penalty. (ie at skill 1 you aren't good enough to compensate for ANY penaties by choice)

Or maybe some sort of composure or professional rating on top of that. Basically unless you are calm enough in a life or death situation to sit there and take aim then you can only make general target shots.

This way you don't have to worry about gangers doing head shots all the time but you really worry about the calm professional more.

You could also not increase the damage value but reduce the Body dice to resist. Basically make Body dice penalties the effect of hitting vitals.You can't buck up and take it as easily.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Nov 20 2006, 07:25 AM
Post #10

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

The called shot rules aren't just broken, they're horrifyingly game-breaking.

Here's my classic example: Mr. Lucky needs to take out the Citymaster chasing their van, so he aims through the window at the driver. (Specifically aiming at a passenger, pg 162, not a called shot yet.) He's using an AVS (8P-f), and our modifiers are as follows: -2 recoil, -3 extreme range, -3 for being seriously Wounded, -3 for being in a moving vehicle, -6 for his target having total cover, -1 for his cover, and -2 for the light rain. To top this all off, he calls a shot to bypass the armor of both the vehicle and the driver. Assuming the driver was in heavy armor with helmet, that's an additional -12, and then we factor in the Citymaster's armor of 20. That's a total dice pool penalty of -52. It could be worse than that-- Mr Lucky might not have a pistols skill at all-- but it's largely irrelevant, since there's absolutely no way he's going to have a positive dice pool. He now spends a point of Edge. 8 Edge = 2.66 successes, which rounds up to 3. The driver can't use his vehicle skill to dodge, since he was specifically targeted; and he requires a Perception test at -6 to even notice that he's been hit. Assuming that the driver has a body of 3 (his armor has been bypassed, so the AP penalty of the flechette round does not apply), he'll be taking an 11P wound, and will likely score 1 success-- not enough, he'll be taken out instantly. The vehicle will now need to make a crash test: it has a threshold of 3, using a Pilot of 3, and a handling penalty of -1. It fails, crashes, and likely kills everyone inside.

+Quote Post
Jack Kain
post Nov 20 2006, 07:38 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,630

You can't ignore the armor for the vehicle while the guy has total cover from it. Its physically impossible. Thats like taking a called shot to ignore wall between you and your target.
The problem with that example is leting edge being rolled in full dispite his skill being so far in the red. Edge an add dice as I understand but if your penalties are at negative -52 it won't work.

+Quote Post
Thyme Lost
post Nov 20 2006, 08:21 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,312

QUOTE (Jack Kain)
You can't ignore the armor for the vehicle while the guy has total cover from it. Its physically impossible. Thats like taking a called shot to ignore wall between you and your target.

The problem with that example is leting edge being rolled in full dispite his skill being so far in the red. Edge an add dice as I understand but if your penalties are at negative -52 it won't work.

While I agree with your first point, you can't Call Shot to Ignore the armor of the car.

I don't agree with your second point. "Long Shots" Page 55 and page 67, BBB. If your Dice pull is zero or negative, you can spend an edge and get your edge poll in dice, WITHOUT the RULE of Six.

The whole point of the Long Shot, is that it doesn't matter how negative your dice pool is, you will have a shot, IF you spend edge.

Thyme

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Nov 20 2006, 10:05 AM
Post #13

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (Thyme Lost)
QUOTE (Jack Kain @ Nov 19 2006, 11:38 PM)

While I agree with your first point, you can't Call Shot to Ignore the armor of the car.

Of course you can. You just shoot through an open window or do some crazy ricochet maneuver through an air vent..

+Quote Post
Thyme Lost
post Nov 20 2006, 10:34 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (Thyme Lost @ Nov 20 2006, 03:21 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Kain @ Nov 19 2006, 11:38 PM)

Of course you can. You just shoot through an open window or do some crazy ricochet maneuver through an air vent..

I'll give ya "Shot through an open window".
Air Vent... Sorry... I don't buy that... If some GM wants to allow that... sure... but not me...

Thyme

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Nov 20 2006, 03:37 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 1,320

QUOTE (Jack Kain)

It's called a longshot test. It's a special rule that says if a dice pool is reduced to zero by penalties, you cannot make the check at all. But if you spend a point of edge, you can roll your edge dice.

In essence, penalties never reduce a dice pool to less than zero, and edge dice are added to the dice pool after all penalties are subtracted.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Nov 20 2006, 04:23 PM
Post #16

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

Would you require GM approval for long-shot tests? The campaign could become very cinematical if the player can roll his edge anytime he wants. Not that anyone in my group dared bring an edge 8 character so far.

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Nov 20 2006, 04:30 PM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 1,320

No, using edge for a function specifically outlined as a valid use for edge does not require GM approval.

Yes, it can allow the game to get cinematic. Thats what the rule is there for.

+Quote Post
Lord Ben
post Nov 20 2006, 05:00 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,659

In nearly all situations you'd be correct. But no way in hell would I allow it to work for a -52 penalty. That's stupid. That kind of cinematic shit doesn't belong in any Shadowrun game I'd make.

It'd make it totally possible to do impossible things as long as the dice mechanic for the impossible thing reduced your pool of dice instead of increased the threshhold. I DON'T think that's what the rule is for.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Nov 20 2006, 07:17 PM
Post #19

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

Technically, you *can*; just call it a crazy richochet or "magic bullet" type of shot. However, this does underscore yet another need to houserule or excise the called shot rules.

In nearly all situations you'd be correct. But no way in hell would I allow it to work for a -52 penalty. That's stupid.

So where do you draw the line? I made my example exaggerated on purpose, but there's a serious point to be made. Would you stop it at -40? What about -20? Except then, you're cutting off a legit, by-the-book tactic of trying to bypass the armor on a Citymaster (with a laser-guided missile, let's assume).

The example I offered is a legitimate, if highly exaggerated, example of how the called shot and Edge rules combine to produce crazy examples. It's not any worse than another example in it's practical effect.

+Quote Post
Thyme Lost
post Nov 20 2006, 07:46 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Long Shot test might not need the GM to say OK.
The GM DOES need to ok a Called Shot.
QUOTE ("Page 149 BBB")
When a shot is called, either of the following may occur, at
the player’s choice and with the gamemaster’s agreement.

You CAN NOT Called Shot to ignore Armor, without the GM saying you can, by BBB.

Thyme Lost

+Quote Post
SL James
post Nov 20 2006, 07:49 PM
Post #21

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

You know why they call it GM Fiat? Because it's as worthless and unreliable as the car.

+Quote Post
MadDogMaddux
post Nov 20 2006, 07:51 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,349

BBB?

+Quote Post
Aemon
post Nov 20 2006, 07:57 PM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 9,636

I think you can attain cinematic flare without crossing the line of stupidity. There are some circumstances that simply cannot be achieved and often, these are required by the Gamemaster in order to ensure game balance, or perhaps plot progression.

Ultimately, what you are suggesting is that if my Shadowrunner has a mission to whack some guy in Seattle and I know he's within 2km of my present position, I can fire a random shot up into the air, spend an Edge and roll my edge pool to see if my bullet miraculously lands on his head when it comes back down.

That is Stupid.

My experience with tabletop games - ANY table top game - is that there is no rule that supersedes the golden rule. And that is that the GM makes the rules.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 20 2006, 08:45 PM
Post #24

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (MadDogMaddux @ Nov 21 2006, 06:51 AM)
BBB?

The 'core rulebook' of the current (or alternately edition-appropriate if the discussion is SR1-SR3-related) edition of the Shadowrun game. ;)

It originally stood for 'Big Blue Book' in reference to the color of the first Shadowrun book. It was changed with the advent of SR2 to 'Big Black Book' to reflect that edition's color change, and that monicker was kept through SR3 because, well the basic color scheme was still black, so it just made sense.

Fuck knows what the actual letters stand for in relation to SR4, but I'm sure someone has put a lot of thought into it. :D

+Quote Post
Triggerz
post Nov 20 2006, 08:48 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,590

Big Black Book... It refers to the core SR4 book, otherwise known as the (SR4) "Bible".

EDIT: Damn! Beaten to it! Hey, Fortune... Are you already up or not yet in bed? I think we're in the same time zone (give or take one, I think).

+Quote Post

19 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:18 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.