Cain
post Nov 27 2006, 07:53 PM
Post #101

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

QUOTE (toturi)
QUOTE (Cain @ Nov 23 2006, 05:11 AM)
Actually, Hyzmarca is right on that one; it's covered under the Crash test rules.  Note that if the vehicle is travelling at any speed, the people inside will become red paste.  Which means you don't just take out the Citymaster, you take out the SWAT team inside as well. 

As for why taking out citymasters in one shot is a bad thing, it kills that "wiggle room" James was referring to.  You're now forced into a higher-powered style of game, simply because of one loophole.  Each and every loophole forces the power level up higher and higher.

I'm not disputing that the people in the vehicle takes damage. I am disputing whether the people in the line of travel of the citymaster(which is presuming going to run them down) takes damage. There is no rules concerning this situation as far as I know.

Ramming, page 160. Granted, this is usually reserved for deliberate attacks, but the same rules fit nicely.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Nov 27 2006, 08:38 PM
Post #102

Great Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,957

True, but it requires that scary GM Fiat thing to decide if a ram is appropriate to the situation. By your standard then, shouldn't the ramming rules be removed as a possibility during a crash?

+Quote Post
Cain
post Nov 28 2006, 07:04 AM
Post #103

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

It doesn't require GM fiat, it requires House Rules. Which are decided on and agreed to beforehand. GM Fiat, by definition, is completely arbitrary and dependant on the GM's whims. This is why a solid rule base are a good thing: they reduce the need for GM fiat.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Nov 28 2006, 03:00 PM
Post #104

Great Dragon

So a house rule of "sometimes crashes might instigate rams" is ok, but a house rule of "you can't kill a man inside a buttoned up citymaster with a banana peel" is not? Interesting choice. I think I'd probably go a different direction, but to each his own.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Nov 28 2006, 04:05 PM
Post #105

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Cain)
Ramming, page 160. Granted, this is usually reserved for deliberate attacks, but the same rules fit nicely.

Not usually. By canon, it does apply but only for the vehicle. Crashing p 162 doesn't state what happens to things that the vehicle crashes into, all it states is what happens to the vehicle when it crashes into things or how and what the vehicle crashes into is determined.

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Nov 28 2006, 04:42 PM
Post #106

Running Target

Member No.: 9,168

I so want to live in Toturi's world.

OMG, a car is ramming my house!

Oh, wait. The car is totaled, but my house is fine. Huh.

German officer to higher up in WWII:

"Nein, mein lederhosen (okay, my german is non-existent. Don't tell my grandparents). Our tanks cannot proceed. The allies have put straw buildings all across the road. We cannot drive through them! The men are having to shoot them with pistols until each piece falls down."

+Quote Post
mfb
post Nov 29 2006, 04:48 AM
Post #107

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

QUOTE (James McMurray @ Nov 28 2006, 10:00 AM)
So a house rule of "sometimes crashes might instigate rams" is ok, but a house rule of "you can't kill a man inside a buttoned up citymaster with a banana peel" is not? Interesting choice. I think I'd probably go a different direction, but to each his own.

that it doesn't make sense is the point. by the rules, you can kill a man inside a citymaster with a banana peel. by the rules, if you crash into another car--well, there are no rules, are there? but there are ramming rules, which are a near-perfect fit for the situation. using the ramming rules is an intelligent application of the existing rules; killing a man with a banana peel is a fluke.

and, yes, i know there is no damage code listed for a banana peel. so, technically, you couldn't kill someone in SR with one--in which case, you wouldn't need a houserule to disallow it in the first place.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Nov 29 2006, 03:19 PM
Post #108

Great Dragon

Fine, make it a bullet fired through the tailpipe, ricocheting through the engine, and bouncing up and out the steering wheel. The point is the same. If the GM is allowed to say that X action makes sense, he should be allowed to say that Y action is ludicrous. Obviously some folks disagree, and I'd hate to play in their games, as it seems a lot of random BS will be made possible by a GM afraid or otherwise unwilling to exercise some control.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Nov 29 2006, 03:19 PM
Post #109

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (mfb)
and, yes, i know there is no damage code listed for a banana peel. so, technically, you couldn't kill someone in SR with one--

Unless, of course, we're talking about an adept with missile mastery, but then that's hardly a standard banana.
I have an adept taking that in an upcoming game, perhaps I'll have to keep a list of hilarious/strange things that people are killed with. :D

+Quote Post
mfb
post Nov 29 2006, 04:00 PM
Post #110

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (James McMurray)
If the GM is allowed to say that X action makes sense, he should be allowed to say that Y action is ludicrous.

it's a question of how far the GM is deviating from the written rules. in order to make two vehicles crashing into a ramming attack, the GM just has to apply an existing rule to a new situation--one that the rule fits into neatly. in order to avoid called shots to the steering wheel via the tailpipe, the GM has to rule directly counter to the existing mechanics.

QUOTE (James McMurray)
Obviously some folks disagree, and I'd hate to play in their games, as it seems a lot of random BS will be made possible by a GM afraid or otherwise unwilling to exercise some control.

so would i. but, then, i tend to play games where the ruleset itself exerts enough control that the GM doesn't have to micromanage every roll.

+Quote Post
Eryk the Red
post Nov 29 2006, 04:35 PM
Post #111

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,301

Funny... my book doesn't make any mention of shooting steering wheels through tailpipes. Your copy must be from a more current print run.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Nov 29 2006, 04:39 PM
Post #112

Immortal Elf

good. then we don't have to worry about GMs needing to disallow it, do we?

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Nov 29 2006, 04:39 PM
Post #113

Great Dragon

The GM is not ruling counter to existing mechanics. He's using the mechanics already there. You know, that rule that says the GM makes decisions. I don't have a page number handy because I'm at work, but I've quoted it several times in these discussions, as have others.

The longshot rules and called shot rules have limits built into them, tied to what the GM feels is possible. You can ignore them if you want, but then you deserve the repercussions you cause.

Hmmm... Seems like I've said that before too. :)

Funny... my book doesn't make any mention of shooting steering wheels through tailpipes. Your copy must be from a more current print run.

You're not looking at it right. You have to read the longshot rules and squint just right so that portions of them (the "would be possible" ones) disappear. Then you can read it as "roll your edge to do anything your little heart desires."

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Nov 29 2006, 04:41 PM
Post #114

Great Dragon

in order to avoid called shots to the steering wheel via the tailpipe, the GM has to rule directly counter to the existing mechanics.

good. then we don't have to worry about GMs needing to disallow it, do we?

You're speaking out both sides of your mouth here. Do they not exist or does it require breaking the rules to avoid them?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Nov 29 2006, 04:46 PM
Post #115

Immortal Elf

i still don't know how to respond to the concept of GM fiat as a game mechanic. laughing, screaming, and crying all seem appropriate.

QUOTE (James McMurray)
You're speaking out both sides of your mouth here. Do they not exist or does it require breaking the rules to avoid them?

i was brushing Eryk off. we're discussing how far the called shot rules can go; pointing out that a specific example isn't listed in the book as being possible doesn't add much to the conversation. the whole point of this discussion is how to handle stuff that isn't explicitly covered by the book.

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Nov 29 2006, 05:17 PM
Post #116

Running Target

Member No.: 9,168

I ain't fallin' for no banana in the tail pipe!

I am perfectly fine with what you call GM Fiat, as long as it's specified as such.

"The GM may increase the threshold as appropriate."

That's a flat out call for GM ruling.

"The GM can decide whether a called shot is appropriate or not."

Same there.

The try to delineate the situations where a called shot is and is not allowed is, frankly, impossible.

The good games will give you a framework you understand, and can work in. Bad ones will simply not mention it at all.

I like a game with clear deliniations, because I like pushing up against those lines and seeing what I can do. But I also completely accept that there are times when it comes down to "Ask the GM for a ruling."

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Nov 29 2006, 05:20 PM
Post #117

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

Including all rules in the book is simply not possible. Sometime, somehow, somewhere something will come up that requires the GM to work something out.
Where that is in SR4 may be a lot sooner then some people like. Tough. That line is there in every RPG. At least in SR4 they actually explicitly tell you most of the time where the line is by stating when applying certain rules it's the GM's call. This does not make anyone right or wrong. This doesn't make the rules right or wrong. That's the way it is. Work out how you want to play, but the rule book isn't going to redone in it's entirety, it's not generally broken.

At least it won't be redone till Rigger 4 comes out.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Nov 29 2006, 05:20 PM
Post #118

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

I'm always at a loss when people start tossing around "GM fiat" as though it was inherently negative. Or as if it didn't exist in every game. Or as if there were some "gaming nirvana" where the GM never had to do anything but read the text. I also find it somewhat humorous when people say "GM fiat" in that negative connotation as if they never exercised it, and as if doing so were blasphemous.

"GM fiat" is part of the job of the game master. Make decisions, make rulings, arbitrate the rules as best you can, and run the game.

"GM fiat" is a cover-term for what people are usually talking about, which is "bad GMing". Bad game mastering has nothing to do with making a ruling when no standard ruling is present. Again, that's part of the job. We could wax nebulous all day on what comprises "bad GMing", but the only point I wish to make is that the concepts are not interchangeable, and shouldn't be used as if they were.

+Quote Post
Eryk the Red
post Nov 29 2006, 05:29 PM
Post #119

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,301

Alas, alack, it would seem my humor is lost here...

Basic gist of what I was getting at, mfb: It is absurd to think that such a rule should exist, or that there is specific need in the rules to create special safeguards against such random and exceptional things. The absurdity of the act in question should trigger the "Are you kidding me?" reflex present in most GMs. It is not a flaw in the rules that allows banana peels to destroy Citymasters, but rather a flaw in the GM.

I chose humor to illustrate my point initially, so as not to seem antagonistic.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Nov 29 2006, 05:39 PM
Post #120

Immortal Elf

bad GMing is not the question. the question is how hard the rules work to keep the GM from having to make stuff up. the GM has a lot on his plate already--coming up with a run, rolling and rp'ing all the NPCs, etcetera. saddling him with vague rules that force him to make a judgement call on a significant portion of the players' rolls (as opposed to just slapping a predefined modifier on there) is, to me, incredibly mean.

QUOTE (Eryk the Red)
It is absurd to think that such a rule should exist, or that there is specific need in the rules to create special safeguards against such random and exceptional things.

of course such a rule shouldn't exist. what should exist is a set of general modifiers that the GM can apply in order to make the shot "impossible".

+Quote Post
Aemon
post Nov 29 2006, 05:48 PM
Post #121

Target

Member No.: 9,636

QUOTE (eidolon)
I'm always at a loss when people start tossing around "GM fiat" as though it was inherently negative. Or as if it didn't exist in every game. Or as if there were some "gaming nirvana" where the GM never had to do anything but read the text. I also find it somewhat humorous when people say "GM fiat" in that negative connotation as if they never exercised it, and as if doing so were blasphemous.

"GM fiat" is part of the job of the game master. Make decisions, make rulings, arbitrate the rules as best you can, and run the game.

"GM fiat" is a cover-term for what people are usually talking about, which is "bad GMing". Bad game mastering has nothing to do with making a ruling when no standard ruling is present. Again, that's part of the job. We could wax nebulous all day on what comprises "bad GMing", but the only point I wish to make is that the concepts are not interchangeable, and shouldn't be used as if they were.

Eidolon,

It seems to me, from my reading of some of the posters who constantly refer to "GM Fiat" is that they have a massive chip on their shoulder regarding GM's having final say and rulings in this style of game. They would rather have every single rule spelled out crystal clear, covering every single potential conflict, situation and eventuality rather than give the GM the ability to house-rule or make a call on-the-fly.

It could be that these posters have had extremely bad GMs in the past, which is naturally colouring their opinion of the GM "fiat". I have never had such experiences myself, to which I guess I can count myself fortunate.

I agree with you though; this is a game that requires this so-called "GM Fiat" because not every situation can be covered. House rules need to be created and a GM needs to know the basis of the rules well enough that they can make decisions on the fly for all the crazy and whacky things players will try to do. This is part of the fun and challenge of the game, in my opinion... and actually one of the reasons being a GM is actually enjoyable - you get to be as dynamic as your players, except with an entire story world.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Nov 29 2006, 05:52 PM
Post #122

Immortal Elf

edit: sigh, nm. i've said what i wanted to say.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Nov 29 2006, 05:54 PM
Post #123

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

GM Fiat is like recreational drugs. A little bit is good and necessary, and keeps things from feeling stagnated, mechanical, and boring. But too much leads to inconsistencies in your reality and all sorts of wackiness. And everyone has a different idea of where the line should be drawn. Some people want it drawn at caffeine and a little alcohol, some people think a moderate heroin or cocaine habit is okay, and the spectrum doesn't stop there, on either side.
No one will ever agree, but that doesn't stop them from calling each other junkies and prudes.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Nov 29 2006, 05:56 PM
Post #124

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

QUOTE (mfb)
the question is how hard the rules work to keep the GM from having to make stuff up.

Interesting viewpoint. One I don't share, particularly, but interesting. I hadn't considered that angle.

Frankly, I don't think that the little theoretical situations that are usually the topic of such threads really warrant new rules in most cases, nor do I find them to be "hard work" generally. Most of the time in such discussions, the question would probably be answered in under 10 seconds were it to come up in an actual game, because in said actual game, the answer only has to work for a few people.

But I admit that while I participate in these discussions, I feel that they are fundamentally worthless in that they are theoretical. These situations that would be handled or answered easily and quickly in a real game draw pages upon pages of discussion in situations such as this, where multiple people that aren't gaming together try and create a ruling or concept that fits all gaming groups, which isn't possible in most cases.

edit: What Moon-Hawk said, in other words. ;)

+Quote Post
mfb
post Nov 29 2006, 06:00 PM
Post #125

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (eidolon)
Frankly, I don't think that the little theoretical situations that are usually the topic of such threads really warrant new rules in most cases, nor do I find them to be "hard work" generally.

i look at things from the perspective of a guy who basically hates GMing, but always gets stuck doing it. anything a game dev can do to make my job as GM easier, i'll thank them for profusely.

+Quote Post

19 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 10:49 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.