Reply to this topicStart new topic
> clarification on hacking
fool
post Nov 20 2006, 11:58 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,316

when I'm hacking into a node (vr hot or cold:) my icon is in the node, does that mean that the programs loaded onto my icon are limited to the rating of the node? or do they go from the rating of my commlink?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Nov 21 2006, 12:18 AM
Post #2

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

Your icon is just "where you are." Your commlink is "who and what you are." So when you've accessed a node, your icon is in the node and visible (to any that can detect you with Analyze if you're running Stealth), but all of your programs are running on your commlink.

Incidentally, you can load your programs onto nodes to which you have access, provided that accounts at your access level are allowed to load programs. For example, my GM was sick of me cracking nodes, so he threw a Rating 7 node at me. I got in, hacked myself an admin account, and used the node to do the hacking for the remainder of the run; the node was better than my commlink. =)

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Nov 21 2006, 01:38 AM
Post #3

Bushido Cowgirl

Group: Members
From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...cool thanks. This clears a lot up. Seemed kind of silly that a fully decked (sorry) out hacker was so hamstrung by the node they were in. If you have rating 6 programmes and hardware, you should be able to kick butt on a rating 3 node.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:12 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.