Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How crappy is wage slavery in SR?
emo samurai
post Nov 24 2006, 07:57 AM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,019

Somebody told me that in SR, the bosses have wised up and realized that happy employees as productive employees. But the thing is, that's not dystopic enough, and doesn't come with enough caveats to make the setting interesting.

What is it like in your games? How much shit do people have to go through to get shit done? How much mundane office politicking happens in your games' cubicles? What problems arise when you work where you live and you live where you work?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Nov 24 2006, 08:11 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Wage slaves are supposed to be relatively well off, in that they have comparative job security, but the distopian part is that they are also cogs in an uncaring machine. There is also that sense of Big Brother always watching, relentless propoganda (sappy motivational posters, singing the company song before work, etc.), and, finally, the ever-present risk of being the pawn in one of the games that the corporate sharks are always playing.

They may not be roasing devil rat skewers over a trashcan fire in the Barrens, but there is still lots of distopian goodness to being a wage slave. :)

+Quote Post
Sahandrian
post Nov 24 2006, 08:18 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,880

Personally, I just take "Office Space", and imagine that Peter never gets to go home. Okay, so I also leave out the entire plot. But the things he put up with when he did show up to work.

And every time Michael or Samir abused the copier, it would identify them and deduct maintenance cost from their paycheck. And Peter's eventual slacking would have got him brought in front of a major boss and threatened a bit. And Milton's pay "issue" would have probably been resolved much sooner.

Oh yeah. And as soon as they attempted to use the virus, it would have been detected by a security decker, user ID logged, and everyone who made contact with him that day interrogated. And then all involved would have been quietly "disappeared" and all mention of them removed from company records.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Nov 24 2006, 12:25 PM
Post #4

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (emo samurai)
happy employees as productive employees.

That is a lie. A happy employee is not a productive employee. A watched employee is a productive employee. Studies show that you can pamper your employees or screw them up the ass every chance you get, and you'll still get similar levels of productivity if they know that they are being watched and evaluated.

Wageslavery, however, is rather cushy, I'd imagine. You get corporate health and dental, competitive pay, and you rarely have to worry about being kidnapped or killed. The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

Dystopian? constants monitoring, repetitive tasks, evil bosses, and occasionally the computer system that control your entires life gain sentience and decides to turn you into a science experiment.

Also remember that your corporation is a state unto itself. This produces problems of an unimaginable scale if you should ever decide to think outside the box and fail. Being a wageslave is sort of like being a soldier. It doesn't matter if you think it is morally right, if they tell you to kill somebody then you better do it or else. Whistle-blowers in real life get lose their jobs and are sometimes blacklisted. Whistle-blowers in SR are executed for treason.

And remember, when the Aztechnology legal department mentions the "death of a million paper-cuts" they're speaking literally. It ain't a pleasant way to go.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Nov 24 2006, 01:21 PM
Post #5

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

Motivated employees are productive employees. Motivation can be non-monetary, but usually isn´t. Suggested reading: Lazear, personnel economics for managers.

The dystopian aspect is that you have no real choice but to become a wage slave, and it is only stiffling for those who want to be creative and unbound in their ways. Some, including me, like the gilded cage corporate employment offers. That still does not mean that I enjoy intradepartmental conflicts like the fight for promotions. The fact is that the things important to you as an employee hardly matter to even your co-workers, and no-one cares if you don´t impact the bottom line.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Nov 24 2006, 02:09 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

the dystopian part, to me, comes in the ubiquitous monitoring and the constant fear that you will somehow be labelled a traitor to the company. i think of it as a cross between 1984 and McCarthyism.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Nov 24 2006, 02:25 PM
Post #7

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

There are also the constant, yet subtle reminders (yay, psychotropic IC!) that you OWE the corp for your well-being and very existence. Without the corp, you would be one of those poor bastards living in the Barrens. Without the corp, you would be *gasp* inconvenienced by being around people who aren't in your corporate family, or choice (e.g., kids' schools, brand of car to drive when you do leave the compound, where to go on vacation...), or worry. And in return, you have enough debt and so much fixed consumption of corp goods and services that if you ever even think of quitting you will go to jail, or be repatriated back to the corp if you try and run (Thank you 13th Amendment to the UCAS Constitutiton! Which is just the greatest legal irony in the whole game) only to have you and your family lose all those luxuries while you serve in debtor's prison. After all, you didn't think that apartment or car or health insurance or your kid's tuition to Novatech University (formerly Fuchi University) was free now, did you?

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Nov 24 2006, 02:26 PM
Post #8

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

Most wage-slaves don't care about the constant monitoring, the (more or less subtle) propaganda and the fact that they get paid in con script that is only accepted in the shops or their corp. They live their small, unimportant life, fear the outside world and are happy with that.

But if one of them opens his eyes and realized how trapped he is, he is fucked.

To me, that's really dystopian.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 24 2006, 03:41 PM
Post #9

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

IMO, the corp tries to make everyone happy, it just doesn't try very hard or personalize its efforts at all. If motivational posters, the occasional motivational speaker, and a requirement to sing the company song once a [month/day/week/hour] make you happy, you'll probably be pretty happy as a wageslave.

Think Friend Computer, but quieter.

~J

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Nov 24 2006, 03:43 PM
Post #10

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Nov 24 2006, 02:57 AM)
happy employees as productive employees.

Wageslavery, however, is rather cushy, I'd imagine. You get corporate health and dental, competitive pay, and you rarely have to worry about being kidnapped or killed. The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

That's pretty much what I think. Most employees don't see the 'evil' of their corps. they do theiur jobs and get taken care of. if anything the better corps are the more protective ones. Until the Arcology went off the deep end it had everything employees could want. They never had to venture out into the dangerous world.

The corps provide food, shelter, protection etc. The idea of losing this, being fired or seeing your company go under is the worst thing that could happen to them. SO why bother about being a scary fragger to your employees? Keep them happy and they will work hard to keep within that situation. Be an ugly fragger of a boiss and they may wonder if another corp would want them.

This is for the average maybe 98% of the employees, even warehouse laborers have that view. It's only the higher levels and corp elite sec guys who would have and idea of what else might be gonig down. My favorite RL example of employees often not knowing what the corp is up to is in my own life. In the early 1990's Xerox, you know the copier people, was the major importer of Russian Vodka to the US. This isn't evil but I bet it would never even ocure to most employees that we were involved in that business. (Since the economy was not stable, futures of Vodka were sold to Xerox to pay for advanced office equipment.)

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Nov 24 2006, 03:44 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 9,168

Grinder did it more justice than I could.

I don't think the wage-slaves see their life as a bad thing, unless they upset the corp. We are intended to see their life as bad, but they don't. However, as soon as they anger the corp, their entire existence falls apart. All their assets (they don't own anything - it's all corp provided) disappear. Their friends hate them. They basically go from being well taken care of to being less than a hobo in the course of a day.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Nov 24 2006, 03:49 PM
Post #12

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

Thank you :)

It's not only by angering their corp that a wage-slave can fall off grace. Publishing "radical" ideas in a blog, talk aboutt the wrong things with the wrong people, just think about the outside world - all that can get attention of corp internal security. Just like the situaton in today's china or iran, to some degree.

+Quote Post
Penta
post Nov 24 2006, 08:27 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 500

QUOTE (SL James)
(Thank you 13th Amendment to the UCAS Constitutiton! Which is just the greatest legal irony in the whole game)

SL: Where is this Amendment mentioned?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 24 2006, 09:03 PM
Post #14

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

I found reference to the 14th Amendment in the Timeline Explorer ...

2036 - In the UCAS, the 14th Amendment to the Constitution is ratified. This amendment establishes the System Identification Number (SIN), requiring the registration of every UCAS citizen. Individuals without SIN's are defined as "probationary citizens," and have sharply limited rights. Probationary citizens are not allowed to vote in federal elections. Species other than Homo Sapiens are eligible for probationary citizenship in the UCAS, but full citizenship to a non-human/metahuman may be granted only by act of Congress. (Neo-Anarchist's Guide to North America)

and...

2057 - In the UCAS, Vice President Daviar spearheads changes to the 14th Amendment of the UCAS Constitution allowing non-metahumans and other probationary citizens legal SINs when vouched for by a UCAS citizen in good standing. (Matrix)

I couldn't find anything on #13 though.

+Quote Post
De Badd Ass
post Nov 24 2006, 09:30 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,474

Just what is your definition of wage slavery?

I think wage slavery is when some one is so afraid of losing their job - because they are deep in depth, have no savings, no other income, too many financial obligations, can't get another job quickly, etc. - that they put up with all kinds of crap.

If you aren't afraid to say, "Take this job and shove it", then you aren't a wage slave. You can be putting up with the same crap as the wage slave - but as long as it's by choice, then you are still free.

The crap doesn't even have to be directed at you. And the crap doesn't have to come from your boss. The majority of wage slaves are shackled to their jobs by their spouses.

On the other hand, if there is no crap, then you can't feel the chains.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Nov 24 2006, 11:53 PM
Post #16

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

QUOTE (Penta @ Nov 24 2006, 02:27 PM)
QUOTE (SL James @ Nov 24 2006, 09:25 AM)
(Thank you 13th Amendment to the UCAS Constitutiton! Which is just the greatest legal irony in the whole game)

SL: Where is this Amendment mentioned?

It's described in NAGNA and mentioned in SoNA.

QUOTE (NAGNA)
13th Amendment—UCAS recognizes contracts between corporations and their employees as binding. Upon due process of law in a Contract Court, corporations may extradite persons found guilty of unlawfully breaking their employment contract.

And in case you don't know (for whatever reason), I call it the greatest legal irony in SR because the 13th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution officially abolished slavery in the United States. I cannot reasonably believe this is a coincidence on the part of the authors.

QUOTE (lorechaser)
I don't think the wage-slaves see their life as a bad thing, unless they upset the corp.  We are intended to see their life as bad, but they don't.

Well, most of the references have been that, no, they don't see it as bad. It's like saying your family or home country is evil. Sure, there are people who believe it, but they wouldn't be employed by the corps anyway. It's the shadows, the Barrens, the outside world that is evil and corrupt and wrong.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Nov 25 2006, 02:28 AM
Post #17

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

SL you beat me to it. yeah, real irony on the 13th ammendment, especially as the UCAS constitution is supposed to be a carry over of the US constitution.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Nov 25 2006, 03:41 AM
Post #18

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Yes, that was implied. Otherwise it would be as ironic as, say, the song (i.e., not one goddamn bit).

+Quote Post
krayola red
post Nov 25 2006, 04:47 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,097

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Studies show that you can pamper your employees or screw them up the ass every chance you get, and you'll still get similar levels of productivity if  they know that they are being watched and evaluated.

Source? I want to know more about these studies. :)

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Nov 25 2006, 08:21 AM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 1,320

Given how distopian I find modern, real world wage slavery, SR's version strikes me as little more than an open, honest version of the same. You work for us. If you stop, you die. Termination in SR just cuts to the quick, it kills you outright instead of letting you slowly starve to death.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Nov 25 2006, 08:58 AM
Post #21

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (krayola red)
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Studies show that you can pamper your employees or screw them up the ass every chance you get, and you'll still get similar levels of productivity if  they know that they are being watched and evaluated.

Source? I want to know more about these studies. :)

Those would be the Hathorne Studies Hawthorne studies.

In essence, so long as you pay attention to the workers and give them positive reinforcement for their performance, they'll do their best up until you break them completely.

+Quote Post
KnightRunner
post Nov 25 2006, 12:41 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,941

It is worth noting that the Hawthorne studies are 70 years old and society amd the workplace has changed significantly. And before we all start shouting the Hawthorne gospel, many consider it to be unscientific and trivial.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Nov 25 2006, 02:20 PM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

total aside: KnightRunner, if you don't have a commlink named KITT, i'm going to be very disappointed with you.

+Quote Post
Dog
post Nov 25 2006, 04:09 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,025

So far, it looks like wageslavery includes financial coercion through things like debt and corp scrip --keeping the employees running the Red Queen's race-- as well as extensive use of various motivational techniques, some ethical and positive, some not. I'd imagine that since there are so many different ideas about what's effective motivation, that each corp (hell, each manager) could be using different ideas. Another commonality is some sort of strict monitoring of employees. Lastly, I would include fostering some degree of xenophobia towards anything outside of the corp.
I think that all of these elements, used together, generate wageslaves most effectively. When I try to think of what differentiates runners from the general populace, I think of the freedom-from/freedom-to debate.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Nov 25 2006, 11:42 PM
Post #25

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
Given how distopian I find modern, real world wage slavery, SR's version strikes me as little more than an open, honest version of the same. You work for us. If you stop, you die. Termination in SR just cuts to the quick, it kills you outright instead of letting you slowly starve to death.

But where's the fun in that? Better to dump their asses in the Barrens. Especially two weeks before they retire and/or during the holidays.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:22 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.