Reply to this topicStart new topic
> new revolution-post coup, trying to run a new rev campaign in 2070
limejello10512
post Nov 26 2006, 06:17 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,007

I recently became intrigued with the idea of the new revolution. Not as villains but as heroes trying to reunify their nation. I've read the articles in threats and in system failure but I'm still unsure of where they are in 2070.

I've been able to gather that the senator who led alamos 20k and one new rev faction is dead (good riddance)

It is also implied that angela colloton is a member of the new rev.

However that's All I know for sure. How much of the new rev survived? Does any of it still function under angela's supervision perhaps? Did loyalist forces over throw the new rev forces or was it just one camp of the new rev overthrowing the other and claiming to be loyalists? Did angela betray the new rev to gain power, is she the only one left? It doesn't say what happened to "the general" or "the political council." Did the new rev actually succeed in claiming power since angela is now in charge? If so where do they go from there? Is this the beginning of the NA wars perhaps?

Any information would be very helpful.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Nov 26 2006, 06:49 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 1,320

This is complete theory:

I think there were kinda two branches to the new revolution: Those who favored a mass uprising, and those who favored the cloak and dagger stuff. I think the revolution in system failure was the second group cleaning house of the first group. That is to say, the new revolution didn't die that day, it simply got rid of it's embarassing vocal part. Now it exists in the shadows, manipulating events.

There is evidence that the current President, Colloton, is a New Revolutionary.

Also, notice how many mergers of state there have been in North america lately. Pueblo annexed LA and the Ute nation, the Salish have absorved the Tsimshain, etc. Theres other hints of the new revolution at work if you look for them, give it a try.

Interesting thought: What non-New revolution groups might ally with them? Ghostwalker. Think about this: Ghostwalker is trying to put the spirit of Denver back together. The spirit fractured when Deenver was divided as the treaty city, but in the last decade that trend has reversed as aztechnology was kicked out of Denver, and Pueblo annexed the Ute and therefore their sector. If all the treaty nations were merged back into a single state, denver and therefore the spirit of denver would be restored. That might be enough reason for ghostwalker to give the NR some aid.

Canon? maybe not. A good basis for a campaign? Hells Yes.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Nov 26 2006, 07:02 AM
Post #3

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

QUOTE (limejello10512 @ Nov 26 2006, 12:17 AM)
It is also implied that angela colloton is a member of the new rev. 

However that's All I know for sure.  How much of the new rev survived?  Does any of it still function under angela's supervision perhaps?

Well, seeing as though she's now President of the UCAS, so unless Fanpro is taking cues from the mental abortion that is 24 I would say... No.

Also, Pimp, don't forget that in the original Threats 2 chapter the NR, specifically the Unity Coalition, "decided" to leave Denver for Los Angeles (maybe) after Ghostwalker conquered Denver. However, that's not exactly a bad idea.

QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
There is evidence that the current President, Colloton, is a New Revolutionary.

Considering she effectively confessed on national trid.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Nov 26 2006, 07:22 AM
Post #4

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

We still don't know where Mrs. Brown Nipples is or what happened to her. This bit of information would shed a great deal of light onto the coup. If the NR took her out then the Draco Foundation wasn't in on it. If she escaped unharmed then they, at the very least, knew about it in advance.

The timing of the coup and the Crash can't be a coincidence, either. It isn't just that the crash damaged infrastructure, it also took out Alice Haefner. As the original Ghost in the Machine, Alice was probably on close to the same level as an AI in terms of what she could do in the Matrix if she put her mind to it. The murder of her husband would not have made her happy and she isn't the kind of person you want to have seeking revenge from you, unless you live in an electromagnetically shielded cave with no outside telecommunications, and even then it is risky. Really, the ultimate conspirators behind the assasination could have faced anything from complete financial destruction to a plane crash to a rampaging prototype killbot to having their SINs deleted and replaced with criminal SINs that have execution warrants attached to them.

And if the Draco foundation were involved then they would no this. They would know that the only time they could safely eliminate Haefner was during the Crash when his wife would be incapacitated or killed.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Nov 26 2006, 07:27 AM
Post #5

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Ex-wife. He remarried (Super Tuesday, 12).

Which also adds another layer of ignorance to the story. Not as big a deal as, say, the half-assed, ignorance-filled justification of that worthless waste of text, but still. Just to make my position on it perfectly clear, Shadowrun (or at the least the setting) is worse for The Tree of Liberty having been written.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Nov 26 2006, 07:41 AM
Post #6

Midnight Toker

QUOTE (SL James @ Nov 26 2006, 02:27 AM)
Ex-wife. He remarried (Super Tuesday, 12).

He remaired, but they never divorced. That makes him a bigamist in jurisdictions that recognize marriages between metahumans and computer software; but polygamy is legal in the UCAS so that doesn't really matter.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Nov 26 2006, 07:59 AM
Post #7

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

She's dead.

At best, at best, the Alice in the Matrix is a long-survived SK with data approximating memory and a psychological profile approximating motives (e.g., revenge).

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Nov 26 2006, 10:20 AM
Post #8

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

QUOTE (SL James @ Nov 26 2006, 08:27 AM)
Just to make my position on it perfectly clear, Shadowrun (or at the least the setting) is worse for The Tree of Liberty having been written.

But you can't resist its call. Everytime a thread contains the magical word "colloton" you have to appear and rant about it. Sorta like Beetlejuice. :D

+Quote Post
limejello10512
post Nov 26 2006, 06:42 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,007

of course it wasn't a coincidence the NR took advantage of a random occurance. The crash caused the coup though not vice versa.

But I like the idea of the new rev...I think the fall of the US is too pesimistic without someone trying to restore it. Plus I found it hard to swallow that the US was unlamented as Captain chaos claimed in NA's guide to north america (plus his version of events is hardly what I would call fair and ballanced). Now I know that there were those who long for the return of the US. Though I guess I would agree that I'd rather have the NR fighting to reunify the US. From a purely gaming point of view.

So since the rev is probably now soley under the command of General Colloton does anyone want to speculate what parts of it are still functioning or do you guy's think that they have disbanded and just thrown their support behind the UCAS as law abiding citizens?

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Nov 26 2006, 08:53 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 1,320

I actually don't find the Idea that the US would fall unmourned so much. Remember that the south has risen again in the form of the CAS.

Many (most) of the strongest american nationalists I've known were also neo-confederates. It wouldn't be surprising that many of those would forget the silly US if the confederacy were reinstated. This is especially true of those american nationalists mostl likely to do anything remotely conspiritorial.

When the NAN is formed, those people out west with those sorts of sentiments would most likely repatriate to the south.

Also to consider is the large number of people in blue states who admire and respect canada. The idea of merging countries with canida would appeal to these sorts of people. The freedoms and liberty these people associate with america is just as easliy associated with canada, or to the UCAS.

And the Nationalists would be happy to be rid of those carpet bagger hippies, the lot of them.

So yeah, I beleive that most hardcore nationalist Americans would transfer that Loyalty to the CAS given the events in SR.

The New revolution would NOT be united behind Colloton. She's certainly strong in the group, but it is a factous group to begin with, each one operating in it's area. Colloton has control of new revolutionary activites in the UCAS (Ostensibly, there will be others working against her), while other people run it in other areas. Remember that the NR doesn't beleive the UCAS is the US at all. They think of it as just like all the other states in NA: in need of destruction to reforge the US. Imagine what a president who actually wants their country to fail can do to it.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Nov 26 2006, 08:59 PM
Post #11

Midnight Toker

I don't think that a terrorist organization attacking an AI's upgrade party with magically enhanced nuclear bombs and a new improved version of the Crash virus can possibly be called a random occurrence.

This is something that required a great deal of planning and commitment by multiple parties. If one assumes that both the NR and Winternight were subordinate to the machinations of our favorite dead dragon then the timing makes a great deal more sense. If you read Dunkie's speech about the nature of America, made when he announced his candidacy, one can see some pro-reunification leanings there.

But Dragons think long-term. They don't plan years in advance, they plan centuries in advance. It is quite possible that the New Revolution timetable is far slower than anyone knows, if Dunkie planned it. The coup factions were as impatient as they were useless to the overall cause.

Of course, there is the little issue of the fact that the coup didn't really damage the Unity Coalition, which was in bed with the Mantids via Anne Penchyk. While it is unlikely that Dunkie would get in bed with Mantids, that is always a possibility. The murder of the Insect Spirit inhabitating the body of General Yeats by a Mantis under the direction of Penchyk certainly didn't hurt his campaign.

I'd assume that the Unity Coalition is still around, but the Militia branch is gone and the Reconstitution branch has far less pull than it once did. With Colloton as President the Political branch would have the most sway, assuming that she was a member of the political branch.
Of course, it isn't impossible that Colloton is actually Mantis and Penchyk is using her as a frontwoman.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Nov 26 2006, 09:32 PM
Post #12

Prime Runner

Member No.: 7,665

Imagine what a president who actually wants their country to fail can do to it.

I was a Katrina volunteer. I don't have to imagine.

-Frank

+Quote Post
mfb
post Nov 26 2006, 09:51 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

+2: sick burn, accurate.

+Quote Post
Penta
post Nov 26 2006, 09:56 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Member No.: 500

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
If you read Dunkie's speech about the nature of America, made when he announced his candidacy, one can see some pro-reunification leanings there.

Where could we find this speech?

+Quote Post
SL James
post Nov 26 2006, 11:42 PM
Post #15

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

QUOTE (Grinder @ Nov 26 2006, 04:20 AM)
QUOTE (SL James @ Nov 26 2006, 08:27 AM)
Just to make my position on it perfectly clear, Shadowrun (or at the least the setting) is worse for The Tree of Liberty having been written.

But you can't resist its call. Everytime a thread contains the magical word "colloton" you have to appear and rant about it. Sorta like Beetlejuice. :D

Yes, because the NR had a ginormous role in a two-year (so far) campaign I've been running, and is a major role in damn near everything one of my PCs does (Yes, I GMPC. So what?). I also have other reasons. It comes up because A) I don't want DS users to get the impression that it's anything less than poorly-done, and B) the plotline means so much to me that I can't help but register my offense.

But at the same time, after my last post this morning, the very thought of this subject made my head hurt badly enough that I had to take something for it.

QUOTE (limejello10512)
So since the rev is probably now soley under the command of General Colloton does anyone want to speculate what parts of it are still functioning or do you guy's think that they have disbanded and just thrown their support behind the UCAS as law abiding citizens?

There are a lot of ideas about what could happen depending on more information being presented. Some of which I've descibed before. Some of which I'm holding close to my chest for varied reasons (mostly GM-wise, since the campaign isn't close to over yet).

QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
So yeah, I beleive that most hardcore nationalist Americans would transfer that Loyalty to the CAS given the events in SR.

That was not even suggested, but stated outright in the CAS chapter of SoNA (which was written by Jon Szeto, who wrote the NR chapter of Threats 2).

Imagine what a president who actually wants their country to fail can do to it.

And imagine what the NR could do to the NAN (for example) with the resources of the UCAS government behind them. Hell, it would be incredibly naive to think that the UCAS wasn't (isn't) using the NR.

The wild card in this whole situation is Ares.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Nov 26 2006, 11:49 PM
Post #16

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Wow, that's hard!
I really appreciate the time and effort you put into this plot-line, the insight you have and let us know. If you would be simply ranting, I wouldn't bother to read your postings, but most of your postings have a very (even if completly different from canon) profund knowledge.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Nov 26 2006, 11:55 PM
Post #17

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Having a working knowledge of American politics helps.

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Of course, there is the little issue of the fact that the coup didn't really damage the Unity Coalition, which was in bed with the Mantids via Anne Penchyk. While it is unlikely that Dunkie would get in bed with Mantids, that is always a possibility.

He handed her control of a massive NGO in his will, and you expect me to believe that he was oblivious to her extracurricular activities?

With Colloton as President the Political branch would have the most sway, assuming that she was a member of the political branch.
Of course, it isn't impossible that Colloton is actually Mantis and Penchyk is using her as a frontwoman.

I don't think she is a member of the political branch. She has never been portrayed as being anything other than a soldier's general (If she was in any way political, her appearance before the UCC in RA:S would have been handled completely differently). I like to think of her and the 2068 election as what would have happened if MacArthur ran for President in '52, and won.

QUOTE (Penta)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Nov 26 2006, 03:59 PM)
If you read Dunkie's speech about the nature of America, made when he announced his candidacy, one can see some pro-reunification leanings there.

Where could we find this speech?

Super Tuesday. I'll excerpt some of it in a bit.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Nov 26 2006, 11:56 PM
Post #18

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Didn't you even studied politics?

+Quote Post
SL James
post Nov 27 2006, 12:06 AM
Post #19

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

QUOTE (Grinder @ Nov 26 2006, 05:56 PM)

I have a Bachelor's degree in Political Science with a focus on Political Theory and Behavior. I decided not to seek a Masters in Political Management in order to get my current graduate degree. I've interned or worked for every level of government and for all three branches, and have worked on innumerable campaigns ranging from judicial and city council to helping open and run the state primary campaign for a presidential candidate after he announced his candidacy. I didn't work on the Kerry campaign because I had more personally important races to work on, and well, he's a douchebag.

So... yeah.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Nov 27 2006, 12:08 AM
Post #20

Great, I'm a Dragon...

That seems to give a very solide knowledge of US politics. :)

+Quote Post
Kremlin KOA
post Nov 27 2006, 12:14 AM
Post #21

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,650

If Ares is written to be pro Unification, then it will be proof beyond reasonable doubt that the current writers of Shadowrun Canon have either gone insane or hate the gameworld and want to rewrite it.

According to current Canon, if the US reforms then Ares must GIVE Ares Space to them (for free)

+Quote Post
SL James
post Nov 27 2006, 12:27 AM
Post #22

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

QUOTE (ST @ 97)
But you have always tried again to be the great civilization that you instinctively know you can be. I wish to aid in this effort-by leading you in the direction towar which you have always striven. This nation and all its peoplehave so much strength, so much potential for true greatness. I can make that potential a reality. I can guide the UCAS-and through the UCAS the world-to become what it was meant to become.

BTW, I love how he later mentions that not being a politician is a qualification. Looking at the list of UCAS presidents and noting the very obvious lack of professional politicians among them, one has to consider that maybe it ought to be a good thing. He then goes on to end his announcement by referring to Ronald Reagan's "city on a hill" (although that concept has been a piece of American political ideology and lore since the days of the colonies.

QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)
If Ares is written to be pro Unification, then it will be proof beyond reasonable doubt that the current writers of Shadowrun Canon have either gone insane or hate the gameworld and want to rewrite it.

They don't have to be pro-Unification to be deeply embroiled in the NR. Remember, the precursor and fallout would have easily helped exasperate conflicts between their clients, er... the countries in North America. Also, it's easier to keep it from getting out of hand if they could watch and control it (taking a page from the guidebook to British intelligence dirty tricks).

Plus, come on, it's Ares. If Knight had the slightest suspicion that Dunkelzahn and/or Nadja Daviar or Kyle Haeffner were involved, he would make it his business to get involved out of personal interest, an instinctive defense of his race, and the fact that it could seriously affect the long-term interests of his corp as well as to protect his legacy.

Earlier in ST, Kenson describes Dunkelzahn:

QUOTE (ST @ 12)
The dragon sees himself as something og a benevolent dictator, someone who must take certain high-handed measures because he knows more than everyone else... he will glady do what needs to be done all by himself.

+Quote Post
BrianL03
post Nov 27 2006, 12:33 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,504

QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (Grinder @ Nov 26 2006, 05:56 PM)

I have a Bachelor's degree in Political Science with a focus on Political Theory and Behavior. I decided not to seek a Masters in Political Management in order to get my current graduate degree. I've interned or worked for every level of government and for all three branches, and have worked on innumerable campaigns ranging from judicial and city council to helping open and run the state primary campaign for a presidential candidate after he announced his candidacy. I didn't work on the Kerry campaign because I had more personally important races to work on, and well, he's a douchebag.

So... yeah.

James, as a current undergrad PS major (more interested in international politics than national though), I have to say that you have gained an impressive boost in my personal opinion.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Nov 27 2006, 12:47 AM
Post #24

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Just to put a point on how far this can go and how many interests and parties touched on this issue, I figured I ought to (with great reluctance) excerpt the climax of something I've been writing. Just to give context (since the character was descibed in an old thread), it's a UCAS Army colonel testifying before a joint congressional committee in 2065 on the UCAS government's aid to and exploitation of the NR movement, so it is quite politically charged and filled with considerable spin.

"Yes, Mr. Chairman, it was. We circumvented those rules or just violated them. What we did was in the best long-term interest of the UCAS people and the government. To this end, we went through considerable lengths to hide our involvement in these activities. However, there were other factors at work which compounded the complexity of these operations. Hostile and ostensibly neutral governments were also involved in aiding or directing these organizations against the UCAS or its allies. To this end, we were simutaneously playing offense and defense, and in many cases allowed terrorist to operate against the UCAS or its interests in the short-term to redirect their efforts back at those nations through a disinformation campaign which required certain sacrifices to be made."

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Nov 27 2006, 02:04 AM
Post #25

King of the Hobos

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 127

Interesting. I take it that's something you're cooking up for over on Shadowland?

From the excerpt it certainly sounds like something that would have to be done very off the books thanks to the amount of political oversight and meddling your intelligence agencies, and I'm assuming the UCAS CIA/DIA/whoever, have to put up with.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:03 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.