IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can counterspelling be assensed?, Either before or during?
Moon-Hawk
post Nov 27 2006, 09:11 PM
Post #1

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,715

Gosh, the topic title says it all. Can an astrally perceiving magician tell if someone is protected by counterspelling, and adjust their tactics accordingly before casting any spells? If no, then what about when they cast the spell, can they see the counterspelling if it's actively defending against their spell? What about someone else's spell?

Related question. Does a counterspelling magician know if someone they are protecting is targeted with a spell? Counterspelling is described as jamming ambient mana, or something like that, so based on that description it doesn't seem like they would.

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 27 2006, 09:17 PM
Post #2

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Nov 28 2006, 08:11 AM)
Does a counterspelling magician know if someone they are protecting is targeted with a spell?  Counterspelling is described as jamming ambient mana, or something like that, so based on that description it doesn't seem like they would.

I believe I remember something about a test ... maybe in the Counterspell Spell section?

edit ...

Yep ...

QUOTE (SR4 -pg. 176)
A magician who is actively Counterspelling can even defend against spells she is unaware of—specifically, Detection spells and Illusion spells—as the magician is actively “jamming” the mana around him. This does not mean, however, that the magician is aware such spells are being used. The gamemaster should make a secret Magic + Intuition (3) Test to determine if (and to what extent) the magician noticed the defense.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 27 2006, 09:22 PM
Post #3

Immoral Elf

As to the first question, I would say no, no, and no.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Nov 27 2006, 09:22 PM
Post #4

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Yeah, that's the section I was remembering. So the counterspeller doesn't necessarily know about the attack.
But what about the attacker being aware of the counterspelling?

edit: Oh you answered. You're not quoting any rules, though, just your judgement/intuition, right?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 27 2006, 09:49 PM
Post #5

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Nov 28 2006, 08:22 AM)
Yeah, that's the section I was remembering.  So the counterspeller doesn't necessarily know about the attack.

Not necessarily, but I think there should always be a test.

But what about the attacker being aware of the counterspelling? You're not quoting any rules, though, just your judgement/intuition, right?

Right. :D

I think that a case could be made whereby a mage's counterspelling would be visible if he were using it to counter an already existing spell. In other words, if the mage includes dice from his Magic Attribute when using Counterspelling, then (and only then) would it be discernable.

But that is also just speculation, and not backed up by quotes. ;)

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Nov 28 2006, 12:13 AM
Post #6

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

I dunno, I'd think it could be assensed, mostly from the description in Kenson's new books of the young mage chica learning to counterspell. If they're actively countering, but not aginst a specific target, it's not like they're trying to couner a specific spell, but more like putting protections around themselves. That's how I interpret it at least.

+Quote Post
Cold-Dragon
post Nov 28 2006, 06:32 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,780

Assensing the target should allow you to make one of your facts discovered be if they're getting counterspelling dice or not. It would certainly be noticeable to a small extent in how it alters the area around the target.

And anyone watching the spell when they use it (which is pretty much a given with LOS) will likely note the added resistance around the target as well - it's not like you can't notice the buffer weakening your spell and eating it up, etc.

+Quote Post
laughingowl
post Nov 29 2006, 12:59 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,895

1) I allow the exact same roll magic+intution (3) to apply to a person CASTING on a protect target to notice something interferred.

2) An Assensing (5) roll will allow a mage to notice something is quite rigth with the aura and detect the 'forgien' influence, even without casting a spell.

3) If detect (by #1 or #2) An Assensing(2) allows you to match the foriegn aura of to another persons (I.E identify the coutnerspelling mage).

So:

Mage Cast Powebolt on a person. (makes magic+intution (3) test to notice counterspelling). "Hmm the mana around the person seems to shift and blunt the force of your spell).

(the would be assasin disengages and breaks off, later they go far another shot at the target, this time scanning before hand).

Mage makes a Assensing test (5).

You study the aura around the person. The are in good health with a small amount of quality bio-ware and seem to be slightly bored but optimistic about the speech they are about to give (normal assensing of aura), you also notice a strange deflection/bending of their aura which carries the aura of another.

Realizing the target has counterspelling on, the mage scans the crowd started to do assensing rolls on likely prospects for the mage.

Only needeing a assensing (2) (but having to assense the right target).
Yep you finally spot him, you notice a small older man to the back of the stage area. Behind the 'security' but fairly close. At first you had him pegged for a minor aide, but his aura is clearly the 'source' of the protection.

Well this is why he gets paid the big buck.

Calling one of his spirits to him, he instructs it to use the influence power on the protecting mage, letting him know he is one break and no longer needs to 'protect' the target. The would be assasin then lets out a controlled breath as he begins to cast his spell.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:53 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.