IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> So my mage wanted to turn the van invisible, How would you rule it?
ShadowDragon
post Dec 4 2006, 10:19 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,754

In the last game I GMed for my group, the party mage wanted to turn the van he was riding in invisible to aid their escape from a persueing helicopter. He has improved invisibility, so I ruled on the fly that it would be possible with an arbitrary force 8 casting of the spell. I also ruled that it would be more difficult for the helicopter to follow (though not impossible because they had a mage with them) and imposed a -6 dice pool modifier on the rigger of the helicopter for contested driving checks, but at the same time, I increased the threashold of the van's driver by 1 because traffic wouldn't see him.

It feels like there are better options for this situation, but I'm not sure what. How would you rule it if you were GM?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lord Ben
post Dec 4 2006, 10:27 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,659

-2 driving checks. -1 doesn't seem enough. And frequently put up stop lights, if he stops for one then he WILL get rear ended.

Also, it just bends the light. So if the helicoptor has other types of sensors they'd work normally. Thermographic, ultrasound, radar, etc.

+Quote Post
Mr. Unpronouncea...
post Dec 4 2006, 10:37 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 770

By the RAW, thermographic cameras are ineffective against improved invisibility.

Radar, Ultrasound, tracking a commlink, etc. would work normally however - and should be well within the capabilities of the (presumably rigging) pilot of the police helicopter.

+Quote Post
Lord Ben
post Dec 4 2006, 10:40 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Why would that be? Have a page #or know what section that's in?

At any rate the "rigger/pilot" of the helicoptor could just make a sensor test since they don't really specify what source it comes from. Give him -2 or whatever from the invis.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Dec 4 2006, 10:43 PM
Post #5

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

If you make the van invisible then you make the van invisible. The people inside it, however, are obviously driving along in an invisible van unless you cast invisibility on them, as well. As area-effect version of invisibility is helpful for this if you allow custom spells.

Also, the spell has to overcome the OR of cameras or it fails against them. This means that you'll need about 4 hits.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Dec 4 2006, 10:46 PM
Post #6

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
If you make the van invisible then you make the van invisible. The people inside it, however, are obviously driving along in an invisible van unless you cast invisibility on them, as well.

I would think that this is debatable. If the spell "bends light" as it claims to, then light bent around the van would also be bent around the things in the van.
I could easily see a group ruling either way, and short of a FAQ, I don't think there's a clear answer.

+Quote Post
Mr. Unpronouncea...
post Dec 4 2006, 10:47 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

QUOTE (Lord Ben)
Why would that be?  Have a page #or know what section that's in?

Well, I'll just have to go with the actual spell description:

QUOTE (p. 201)

This spell makes the subject more difficult to detect by normal visual senses (including low-light, thermographic, and other senses that rely on the visual spectrum).

(bolding mine)

+Quote Post
Lovesmasher
post Dec 4 2006, 11:19 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,193

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
If you make the van invisible then you make the van invisible. The people inside it, however, are obviously driving along in an invisible van unless you cast invisibility on them, as well. As area-effect version of invisibility is helpful for this if you allow custom spells.

Also, the spell has to overcome the OR of cameras or it fails against them. This means that you'll need about 4 hits.

Nah, invisibility spells are never that limiting. You're not going to make someone's cyber-parts stay visible when the spell is cast on them, nor the stuff in their pockets, so why make an exception for the van?

An invisible vehicle has its own serious disadvantages, traffic being the major one, pedestrians being another. Unless you're doing a high fatality 'gotta break 13 dozen eggs to make an omelet' type of game, the group will have enough to deal with in just those two aspects.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon
post Dec 4 2006, 11:37 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Just to clarify, I increased his THRESHOLDS by 1, I didn't lower his dice pool. So since the PC driver was trying to do a "break off" chase stunt, his threashold was 3 instead of 2. The helicopter had 6 less dice for the opening sequence for determining engagement range. Reference page 161.

As for the whole bending light debate, I considered making just the van invisible and the characters visible, but I didn't think that would make sense for the same reason why clothes/gear turn invisible on a person.

My real concern though, was putting a limit on the size of objects the spell can affect. Can a mage turn a building invisible next?

I was thinking of houseruling a threshold modifier based on the object and having it working similar to first aid - maybe people/animals have no modifier, drones have a threashold of 1, cars have a threshold of 2, larger vehicles have a threshold of 3, etc. Once a mage meets the threshold, remaining hits apply to resistance tests. What do you all think of that?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 4 2006, 11:40 PM
Post #10

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Too late now, but just tell him next time to design an Area Effect version of the Spell. Then you'll have no problems determining just how large an area can be affected.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Dec 4 2006, 11:49 PM
Post #11

Midnight Toker

Clothing and passengers are very different in respect to targeting. You can't target someone's clothes separate from the person with magic or with weapons. Choosing "I shoot his shirt" because his shirt can't dodge but he's always behind it and it has a low barrier rating is not a valid tactic. Likewise, choosing "I hide behind my shirt" is not a valid defense against being targeted by a manabolting mage. Worn clothes are considered to be part of the individual for the purposes of targeting and are effected by any spell targeted at the individual if possible (manabolts won't damage shirts but powerbolts will).

On the other hand, a passenger is not considered to be part of the vehicle. A direct combat spell targeted at a vehicle will never damage the passenger and a direct combat spell targeted at a passenger will not damage the vehicle.

+Quote Post
Lovesmasher
post Dec 5 2006, 12:07 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Clothing and passengers are very different in respect to targeting. You can't target someone's clothes separate from the person with magic or with weapons. Choosing "I shoot his shirt" because his shirt can't dodge but he's always behind it and it has a low barrier rating is not a valid tactic. Likewise, choosing "I hide behind my shirt" is not a valid defense against being targeted by a manabolting mage. Worn clothes are considered to be part of the individual for the purposes of targeting and are effected by any spell targeted at the individual if possible (manabolts work damage shirts but powerbolts will).

On the other hand, a passenger is not considered to be part of the vehicle. A direct combat spell targeted at a vehicle will never damage the passenger and a direct combat spell targeted at a passenger will not damage the vehicle.

Sure, but your examples are all aggressive actions and invisibility wouldn't be. I'm blissfully unaware of how magic works in SR because I'm busy filling my head with hacker whatzits and prefer for my non-magey characters to just assume mages can do whatever they want. I hate the temptation to tell people in my group in any game 'oh, yeah, cast blachblah's magic blahdoo, that'll do the trick'.

My point being, if you can turn a van invisible, the stuff inside should follow suit. If you can turn an unworn shoe invisible, the key under the insole should follow suit as well. What? You don't keep your keys in your shoe?

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Dec 5 2006, 12:14 AM
Post #13

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Dec 4 2006, 04:43 PM)
If you make the van invisible then you make the van invisible. The people inside it, however, are obviously driving along in an invisible van unless you cast invisibility on them, as well.

I'm sorry man, I know you're attached to that particular ruling, and more power to you, but that's still the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. ;)

QUOTE (hyzmarca)

Is the spare tire part of the vehicle? The jack? What if neither of those were bolted down last time the rigger tossed them back in?

+Quote Post
Lord Ben
post Dec 5 2006, 12:15 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

I think in street magic there is a spell that turns vehicles invisible. I'd just have them use that instead of invisibility.

Increase the device rating based on the size and occupants too, that should do the trick.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Dec 5 2006, 12:21 AM
Post #15

Midnight Toker

The limits and conventions of invisibility have always been a divisive issue.
One could interpret it other ways, but I prefer the flavor of this interpretation for reasons that can only be explained with this.

+Quote Post
Lovesmasher
post Dec 5 2006, 12:29 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
One could interpret it other ways, but I prefer the flavor of this interpretation for reasons that can only be explained with this.

:cyber: Alright, kinda. I'll grant you this: Vehicles that don't CONTAIN the passenger fully do not make passenger invisible... thus the invisible motorcycle is brought from the 1970's into the 2070's.

If you don't know who the Hair Bear Bunch was... then I'm just too old or obscure or both.

+Quote Post
Apathy
post Dec 5 2006, 12:51 AM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 6,046

Yeah, invisibility leads to so many wierd questions.
  • If I have a kitten in my pocket when you cast invisibility on me, is the kitten affected?
  • Does the kitten get to resist the spell? (being non-sapient, it can't be willing)
  • How could the mage target the kitten at all, since he couldn't see it until after my jacket became invisible?
  • What if I take the kitten out of my pocket and set it down? Is it still invisible then?
  • The inverse question - what if I have an invisible backpack, and I start filling it with stuff that wasn't part of the original spell target. Are the new items visible through the backpack, or does the invisibility of the backpack cover the items inside until they're taken out?
  • Can apply the same question to the kidnap victim stuffed into an invisible duffle bag, or thrown into the invisible van, or whatever.
  • What if I'm tooling around in my invisible van and I roll down the window? Can people see into that part of the van now?

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon
post Dec 5 2006, 12:59 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (Lord Ben)
I think in street magic there is a spell that turns vehicles invisible. I'd just have them use that instead of invisibility.

Increase the device rating based on the size and occupants too, that should do the trick.

You're thinking of Vehicle Mask.

I think I'm going to use that spell as precedent and tell my players that the van turned invisible due to a lucky mana surge during the casting (he did use edge for the spell afterall), and that future attempts to turn anything invisible but people and animals (including limited gear carried) will most likely fail. However he can tap into that experience to invent a "Vehicle Invisibility" spell that works on vehicles/drones if he'd like.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Dec 5 2006, 01:00 AM
Post #19

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

Casting spells on a non-living target requires you to meet the threshold of the object's OR before the spell takes effect. Observers of an indirect illusion get to make a success test against the net hits of the spell to see hrough it. Non-living "observers" such as cameras automatically see through such illusions unless get a number of net hits as their OR.

So if you cast improved invisibility on a van (OR 3), your first three hits don't count because you haven't achieved threshold. A Drone Observer has an OR of 4, so you'll need 4 net hits to fool one.

To get 4 net hits when making a human or a drop bear invisible you need 4 hits - which also means that you'll need to be throwing it at Force 7. To make your Van invisible with 4 net hits you'll need seven total hits because the casting threshold is now 3. That means you'll need to be casting it at Force 7. Vehicle Mask and Vehicle Invisibility have a substantially lower than normal Drain code because you need to cast them at a stupidly high Force anyway - the drain ends up being pretty normal.

-Frank

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Dec 5 2006, 01:00 AM
Post #20

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

QUOTE (hyzmarca)

I knew you'd whip it out! :rotfl:

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Dec 5 2006, 01:17 AM
Post #21

Midnight Toker

Vehicle Mask is a very restricted target and restricted effect version of Physical Mask (just look at the drain code). It isn't that Physical Mask won't work on vehicles, it will. The advantage is that Vehicle Mask has 3DV less drain than Physical Mask does.

Physical Mask is more versatile and will work on vehicles, but the +1DV drain is far less tempting than the -2DV drain is. By the same token, Slay elf will only slay elves, but manabolt will kill anything.

QUOTE (eidolon)
I knew you'd whip it out! :rotfl:

Make a hawk a dove, stop a war with love, make a liar tell the trooooooooooth. :D

QUOTE (Lovesmasher)
If you don't know who the Hair Bear Bunch was... then I'm just too old or obscure or both.
No one could forget the Hair Bear Bunch.

+Quote Post
Thyme Lost
post Dec 5 2006, 03:46 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,312

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
No one could forget the Hair Bear Bunch.

I had....
I saw them brought up in this thread...
I knew that I once knew what they were...
I just could not remember...
So... a google search later... and ... DAMN YOU!!!

I had almost completely forgetten, now I need to forget again... :S :twirl: :dead: 8)

Sorry for the OT.

Not really sure what I'd do and the Van and the people...

Thyme

+Quote Post
Cheops
post Dec 5 2006, 05:31 PM
Post #23

Shooting Target

Member No.: 392

QUOTE (ShadowDragon)
Just to clarify, I increased his THRESHOLDS by 1, I didn't lower his dice pool. So since the PC driver was trying to do a "break off" chase stunt, his threashold was 3 instead of 2. The helicopter had 6 less dice for the opening sequence for determining engagement range. Reference page 161.

As for the whole bending light debate, I considered making just the van invisible and the characters visible, but I didn't think that would make sense for the same reason why clothes/gear turn invisible on a person.

My real concern though, was putting a limit on the size of objects the spell can affect. Can a mage turn a building invisible next?

I was thinking of houseruling a threshold modifier based on the object and having it working similar to first aid - maybe people/animals have no modifier, drones have a threashold of 1, cars have a threshold of 2, larger vehicles have a threshold of 3, etc. Once a mage meets the threshold, remaining hits apply to resistance tests. What do you all think of that?

As a general rule of thumb in my group if the spell affects an area without being an area affect spell we only let the mage affect a volume equivalent to that of an area affect spell. If you had imp invis as an area affect you would still affect the same volume as a non-area but everything within that area would be a target not just a single target.

If you wanted to affect a whole building without casting above force 12 (depending on size) you'd have to stack spells or increase the area of it--both those rules should be somewhere in the spellcasting section.

Hope that helps.

+Quote Post
Big D
post Dec 5 2006, 09:03 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,455

What happens in the same case if you instead summon a Force 6 spirit and have it run Concealment on the van?

+Quote Post
Mr. Unpronouncea...
post Dec 5 2006, 09:35 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

A force 6 spirit should be able to use its concealment power on 6 targets simultaneously - a van and up to 5 occupants should go without debate.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 05:52 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.