Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Technomantic Horrors...
thegrymone
post Dec 6 2006, 01:15 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,735

I just finished watching the movie, Pulse. Its sparked some interesting ideas. Image how devasting something like that could be in 2070 with all of the wireless networking and such. That would be nearly any shadowrunner's worst fear...a Technomanic Wraith WiFi through the metroplex for victims!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Dec 6 2006, 01:31 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (thegrymone)
I just finished watching the movie, Pulse. Its sparked some interesting ideas. Image how devasting something like that could be in 2070 with all of the wireless networking and such. That would be nearly any shadowrunner's worst fear...a Technomanic Wraith WiFi through the metroplex for victims!

you mean like an AI that brainwashes people into being it's slaves for example? maybe even creates technomancers from people who didn't used to be? :P

*cough*deus*cough*

(haven't seen the movie, just making an observation about 'technomantic horrors')

+Quote Post
thegrymone
post Dec 6 2006, 01:34 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 8,735

Nope...not quite. :) I can spill more info...but I don't want to spoil the movie for you if you want to watch it.

+Quote Post
Cognitive Resona...
post Dec 6 2006, 02:03 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 9,113

QUOTE (thegrymone)
Nope...not quite. :) I can spill more info...but I don't want to spoil the movie for you if you want to watch it.

You could just put the spoiler tags around it to be safe?

+Quote Post
Trax
post Dec 6 2006, 02:18 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,924

I heard the movie was pretty terrible.

+Quote Post
ruknabard
post Dec 6 2006, 03:47 AM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 10,236

I think i understand the basic premise of "Pulse"
That said, I thought of some things along the same lines...the havoc and terror you could install in players with a "techno-ghost". It's not SR canon, but I think it would be pretty easy to create something that twisted those contested boundaries between tech and magic.

On one level, you have the concept of someone using a datajack who got "trapped" online during the crash. Say they went comatose where noone could find them, and their body died, leaving their concioussness alive somewhere on the 'trix. Maybe it isnt even a just a freak happening with the literal soul still online, maybe its just a reflection of that person's behavior and memory that got stored into some supercomputer in a data freeze during the crash. That would be a fun mysetery for some players to pick apart.

The other concept I was thinking about was something that bends the rules...like a techno-spirit. maybe something with electron storm and gremlins from Sprite abilties, but instead uses force instead of R for statistics. Maybe make it like a free spirit where it cons technomancers into re-registering it to prolong its existance. I think maybe a possesion-like power that lets it "jump" into wifi devices and operate them would lend it some additional interest.

Just all very vague ideas, I'm sure someone who is more aquainted with the matrix rules could help you out better...but I was just brainstorming

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Dec 6 2006, 03:58 AM
Post #7

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

How about this. A flesh form insect spirit or master shedim that was impersonating a corporate executive was online during the crash. He was trapped in the matrix. Being a spirit rather than a metahuman the resulting Ghost in the Machine was far far different from anything you would expect, more spirit than sprite and more magic than technology.

Make it a female Mantid and give it the unique power Rating Drain (identical to Energy Drain (Force)) as well as the ability to redrouce itself.

+Quote Post
Garrowolf
post Dec 6 2006, 05:23 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,517

I like the idea. I would just use sprites and have them attack people. Make it a reflection of the darker aspects of human nature reflected in the Resonance.

I was thinking that maybe the Resonance is a reflection of aspects of intereactions on the Matrix. Some of that would be good but alot would be darker. If dark sprites started attacking they could take on imagery from old movie or even games. It could be fun!

+Quote Post
ChicagosFinest
post Dec 6 2006, 03:55 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,422

Thats a little over the top. Although I do like the idea of a Matrix body snacher (It could go into a Threats book).

Evil sprites attacking people... Awesome!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:33 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.