Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Obersvations on the FAQ with regards to Hacking
RunnerPaul
post Dec 7 2006, 11:52 AM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 364

After I had gone through the FAQ a few times, I wrote down some notes on interesting observations and or new questions that were brought up by the FAQ answers. Since most of them had to deal with the Hacking/Wireless portion of the rules, I decided to put them all in a post here for discussion:

QUOTE (SR4 FAQ v1.1)
Do Initiative Pass augmentations affect augmented reality actions?
Yes. [...] Yes, this means that someone with wired reflexes can access the Matrix more quickly than someone who isn't wired.

I guess it's too late for the v1.5 errata, but probably next errata you'll see them take the line "Most importantly for hackers, however, VR is fast—you move at digital speeds, which can be the extra edge you need while pulling a hack job." out from p.228, since except for Probing the Target test intervals, it just isn't true.
As long as everyone who writes for 4th edition understands the setting implications of this game mechanic, I can live with the change. I can even buy that the line from p.228 is a holdover from the authors' perception of earlier editions of Shadowrun and should have been edited out when AR became the dominant means of access.

QUOTE (SR4 FAQ v1.1)
Can all cyberware implants be hacked? How do you hack a cyberlimb? What can you do with hacked cyberware?
To hack cyberware (or any device, really), several criteria must be met:

1) The cyberware/device must be computerized. Not all implants need a built-in computer [...] Some implants may not need a complete wireless link -- built-in sensor RFID tags can monitor the implant and report any problems. The GM determines what implants/devices are computerized.

So, when p.304 said "As a rule, assume that any gear item that is electronic or mechanical has a wireless-enabled computer in it." they didn't really mean that. Gotcha.

(If any of these observations sound nit-picky, please understand that's not my intent. It's just that as players, all we've had to go by for over a year now is what's in the book. With it being a new edition, it was very hard to spot things that were poor editing or could have been worded better, because we had no yardstick of Developer's Intent to reference against, so we had to take every single word in the book at face value. Now that the advanced rulebooks are beginning to trickle in and the FAQ is out there, it's getting easier to see 4th edition's "Big Picture".)

QUOTE (SR4 FAQ v1.1)
How can a character protect his cyberware from hacking?
1.) Turn off or remove any wireless links (not always an option).

So, just when wouldn't using the Free Action "Change Linked Device Mode" to turn off an implant's wireless functionality not be an option? Only example I could think might fit that scenario would be the Cranial Bomb.

QUOTE (SR4 FAQ v1.1)
"Erasing" things from their vision would be much harder if not impossible, as the hacker would have to be damn (unrealistically) quick with the editing software.

And yet, there's Alternate Reality Environment software that does just this sort of real time image editing with no problem and according to this same FAQ, because ARE programs don't have a rating, they only take negligible amounts of memory/processing power to run. So, which is it? A ratingless Virtual Weather program that can "make the rain go away" and do so without even causing a drop in Response on your commlink, or an edit program that regardless of rating, isn't quick enough to edit video real time?

Of course, that leads nicely into one of the questions I had put in when Bull was solictiting:
QUOTE (SR4 FAQ v1.1)
When using Edit to manipulate data in real time (video feeds, etc.) are there any guidelines for what the program is and isn't capable of?

The more complex the edit, the higher the difficulty threshold, as determined by the gamemaster.

You see, I was kind of hoping for, oh you know, maybe some examples. Because It'd be nice to know what kind of capabilities that the people who are putting the sourcebooks and adventure modules together think computers of the 2070s should and shouldn't have. You know, something along the lines of:
Threshold 1: Still image editing (fark.com photoshop contest/somethingawful.com photoshop phriday)
Threshold 2: Good Still image editing (worth1000.com photoshop contest)
Threshold 3: Recorded video editing (Greedo Shoots First)
Threshold "It's Over Nine-Thousaaaaaand!": Real time video editing (OMFG u can't evn do it's impossible!!!11!eleventy!!!)
Except, I have no idea if that's even close to what's going on in FanPro's collective head. It's why I asked in the first place.

QUOTE (SR4 FAQ v1.1)
In the basic rules, subscribing and slaving have no effect on hacking or spoofing commands.

So, the "degree of protection from snoopers and hackers" that subscribing all your devices to your commlink to form a PAN as described on p.212 is really no protection at all? Even though p.212 says they'd have to go through your commlink first, in reality, a hacker can still eavesdrop on and spoof commands to the individual devices on your PAN?
Because SR4 defines a Node as a device or network that can be accessed, with a network being defined as a group of devices that interact, I've been treating PANs as single nodes. From what the FAQ seems to be saying, each device is supposed to be handled as an individual node whether it's subscribed/slaved to be part of a PAN or not. Seems needlessly messy to me.
I'm guessing that this is to make it so you can easily hack a drone without having to go through the drone hacker's commlink first, but that could have just as easily been accomplished by a rule that says devices with pilot ratings must count as seperate nodes, and may not be grouped together with other devices to form a network-node.

QUOTE (SR4 FAQ v1.1)
If the gamemaster wishes, he can make spoofing commands from a user with security or admin privileges more difficult, just as hacking and obtaining those privileges is. In this case apply a dice pool modifier to the hacker for the Opposed Test equal to -3 for security privileges or -6 for admin privileges.

This one is definitely going into my games.

QUOTE (SR4 FAQ v1.1)
If you are spoofing commands to a drone, pretending to be the controlling rigger, you could certainly instruct the drone to log that rigger off or slave that drone to your commlink instead (since the controlling rigger would have privileges to do that). To add, alter, or delete an account, you would almost certainly to spoof a command from someone with admin privileges.

This, combined with the rule about dice pool modifiers when you try to spoof commands from users with privileged accounts raises some interesting tactical choices. Do you command your drone from an admin level account, because that level is hardest to spoof in the first place, or do you command it from a security level account, knowing that if someone does figure out how to spoof the security level account you're using, they don't have access to the drone's full command set, and you can use your admin account to kill the compromised one?

QUOTE (SR4 FAQ v1.1)
Do all the programs loaded into an agent affect the Response of your commlink if the commlink is running the agent?

Only if the agent is using those programs.

I think I can almost grok this one. Programs can be loaded and running on the commlink, but it's only when the programs are actually being actively used by a user or an agent does it count against your response. (Some programs like stealth, would have to count as "in use" all the time.) I'm not sure I'm making sense with this, and even if this did make sense, I'm not sure what to think about it.

QUOTE (SR4 FAQ v1.1)
When exactly is the Data Bomb program considered to be running?

This is determined when the Data Bomb is set. Some corporations may have Data Bombs set to become deactivated during "office hours." Data Bombs could always be active, or may only become active if the system is on alert, or if certain programs or IC are triggered.

This one was one of mine from when Bull was collecting questions, and they missed the point of the question entirely. I guess I'll have to email them and tell them what the question was asking is "When does Data Bomb impact a node's response rating; when it is first put in place, when it goes off, or all at all times between and including those two endpoints?" Maybe I also should ask if the databomb can go off in a system that has been slowed to a Windows 98 level of crawl due to response decreases.

QUOTE (SR4 FAQ v1.1)
In the meantime, gamemasters that want to make encryption more difficult can simply adjust the interval from 1 Combat Turn to 1 minute or even 1 hour.

I'm probably going to retrofit this into my houserules for multi-pass encryption, to hold me over until I see what fixes they come up with in Unwired.

QUOTE (SR4 FAQ v1.1)
Does the admin account have any restrictions?

Only within the limitations of the device, and possibly by other restrictions that are hard-coded in, as determined by the gamemaster.

I guess to hard-code in restrictions, you have to re-write the OS. Shame that you'd never get it finished before it was time to retire. At least with the limitations of the device, you could probably change that with a reasonably quick B/R test.

QUOTE (SR4 FAQ v1.1)
Matrix accessories that allow interaction with AR and are not neuro-interactive -- such as AR gloves, goggles, feedback clothing, etc -- may be used by spirits and critters, assuming they understand how it works.

This is a bit interesting. For critters, I can buy it, but for spirits, that goes against this passage from Street Magic, p.92:
"Even when a spirit materializes into our world, it still exists primarily as an astral creature. When observing an object, a spirit sees the auras and shadows first and the physical characteristics second. Physical details metahumans characterize as obvious are frequently overlooked entirely by spirits. Interaction with technological display devices and simsense such as commlinks and simrigs is even more tenuous. The location of a spirit’s visual ability is at the very least variable; and as there is no nervous system to connect to, the technical difficulties of making such an AR setup are far from trivial."
While using AR interfaces that aren't neuro-interactive solves the problem of having no nervous system to feed the AR into, the fact that the AR Objects being displayed on the goggles or the contacts don't have any sort of astral shadow should mean spirits would have trouble registering them as real. And unless you're dealing with a possession tradition spirit, you never know where exactly to put the goggles in the first place.

QUOTE (SR4 FAQ v1.1)
Technomancers do not have a natural "skinlink," so to access a device physically they would need some way of plugging into it (either by wirelessly accessing another device plugged into the target device or by using a datajack or trode net).

Interesting. I never really thought about it, but I guess datajacks / trodes would have to have some kind of pass-through feature where they just pipe the brainwave information to some upstream device that can interpret it, but in this case, it's not brainwave data, it's actual raw computer data from the organic commlink in the TM's brain. (They probably have to hack the headers on the outgoing data stream or something). Personally, I would have just given the TM's natural skinlinking. When you've got magical radio brains that work at a distance, why shouldn't you be able to manipulate the EM fields very near your body as well?

QUOTE (SR4 FAQ v1.1)
Is it possible to modify a sim module to disable the emotive tracks of simsense, or is feeding your AR/VR through the various link implants (image link, sound link, touch link) the only way to avoid simsense-induced emotion?

In most cases, you can turn off any of the tracks in a sim module if you like -- sight, hearing, emotive, etc. BTLs, however, have an override that prevents the individual tracks from being turned off.

This was another one of mine. I thought you probably could turn the emotion feeds off, but I was trying to justify the existence of the [sense]-link implants. The thought process was that maybe the emotive track playback was "locked-on" at the factory, and hard to disable, making the [sense]-link implants perfect for paranoids who don't want AR feeds messing with their emotions. With easily toggleable emotive tracks, there doesn't seem to be a point in getting all those individual [sense]-link implants when you can just implant a sim-module.

Some questions that got asked when Bull was collecting questions, but didn't get touched upon in the FAQ:
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
When sending an Agent of to perform a Datasearch, he jumps Nodes. As his Response is defined by those, what dicepool does he have when searching the entire Matrix?

QUOTE (RunnerPaul)

• What are the benefits of having a system use Linked Passcodes or Passkeys over Basic Passcodes? The rules for Hacking on the Fly and for Probing the Target don't seem to care what type is used.

• What determines whether a character is a Hacker or not, for the purposes of awarding points for Simsense Vertigo?

• When attempting to break in to a standard electronic device, which only has admin accounts per the description on p.216, do you automatically fail if you attempt to gain User-Level or Security-Level access? (for either the Hacking on the Fly and/or Probing the Target methods)

There were other questions that haven't been answered, but these are some of the more glaringly unresolvable questions when all you have to work with is the core rulebook. Hopefully, these (and the other unanswered questions from Bull's FAQ) will get nailed down in Unwired.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Konsaki
post Dec 7 2006, 12:47 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 8,445

Your first statement holds true in my mind... They just nerfed VR hackers and Technomancers to no end, just because they allowed that rule. It is almost not worth it to play a Technomancer anymore, since their only boon is Threading and Sprites, but the limitations placed on having those powers seem to outweigh the boon. I only hope that they add more to technomancers with Emergence and Unwired or else I might not play another Technomancer unless under houseruled settings...

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Dec 8 2006, 07:03 AM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Anyway, here's a copy of what I just sent off to Rob. Time will tell if anything comes of it.

QUOTE (my email to info@shadowrunrpg.com)
Thank you for posting the SR4 FAQ recently.

When Bull put out his request for Hacking questions last August, I submitted quite a few, and was glad to see that many of the questions submitted were then addressed in the FAQ.

However, there are two questions in particular where perhaps I wasn't as clear as I should have been in what I was asking, so I would like to submit revised versions of these questions, so that they may hopefully be answered in future versions of the SR4 FAQ.

The first question that I would like to reword is:
When using Edit to manipulate data in real time (video feeds, etc.) are there any guidelines for what the program is and isn't capable of?
and the reworded version I would like to submit is:
Given the inevitable advances and automations that will occur in computer software between now and 2070, can you give specific examples of what the Edit utility is expected to be capable of? AR Environment programs such as Virtual Weather and the Seattle Tourist Board's "Emerald City" AR Overlay seem to be capable of some rather impressive real-time automatic image editing, but it's not always easy to figure out what one program should be capable of by comparing it to another. Can you give specific examples of what should be a Threshold 1 test for Edit, Threshold 2, and so on? Are there any specific examples of uses of Edit that should be limited to Extended Tests?

(I realize that, as the FAQ answer to the original version of the question points out ultimately it's up to the gamemaster to decide this, but I'd like to know what assumptions Shadowrun authors are using for the Edit utility's capabilities when they put together adventure modules. Basically, if I were to participate in a FanPro-run demo game at a convention, and the gamemaster was one of Shadowrun's authors, what would the ground rules for using Edit be?)

The second question that I would like to reword is:
When exactly is the Data Bomb program considered to be running?
and the reworded version I would like to submit is:
When does the use of the Data Bomb program have an impact on a node's response rating? When it is first put into place? When it goes off? Continuiously between being put in place and going off? If a file with a Data Bomb is in a node that is slowed to a crawl because it  has had its Response dropped to 0 from running programs, and the file is opened without proper authorization, does the Data Bomb still go off?

(It should be pretty clear why I'm rewording and resubmitting this one. The issue needing clarification isn't how Data Bomb can be configured, it is how it interacts with the node that it is running on.)

Thanks again.

Personally, I doubt we'll hear anything on these until the next major FAQ update, whenever that is. FanPro isn't like Games Workshop, who recently posted a corrected FAQ, and a correction to the correction, for their Codex: Tyranid FAQ within the space of about 2 weeks of the release of the original FAQ. Then again, FanPro's FAQ doesn't have the mind numbing stupidity that the Codex: Tyranid FAQ had in Games Workshop's first two goes at it, either.

+Quote Post
Jack Kain
post Dec 8 2006, 07:23 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,630

QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (SR4 FAQ v1.1)
Can all cyberware implants be hacked? How do you hack a cyberlimb? What can you do with hacked cyberware?
To hack cyberware (or any device, really), several criteria must be met:

1) The cyberware/device must be computerized. Not all implants need a built-in computer [...] Some implants may not need a complete wireless link -- built-in sensor RFID tags can monitor the implant and report any problems. The GM determines what implants/devices are computerized.

So, when p.304 said "As a rule, assume that any gear item that is electronic or mechanical has a wireless-enabled computer in it." they didn't really mean that. Gotcha.

Mind if I nit pick back?

Sure they meant it, an RFID tag that monitors the implant and reports problems is still a wireless enabled computer. They just mistakenly say it isn't in the FAQ.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Dec 8 2006, 07:43 AM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Jack Kain)
Sure they meant it, an RFID tag that monitors the implant and reports problems is still a wireless enabled computer.

I could maybe buy that. It means expanding my definition of computer to include something that's essentially just a sensor and a transmitter, it's not that big of a deal.

+Quote Post
Blade
post Dec 10 2006, 02:46 PM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

HotSim VR is still better than AR for a lot of things : +2 dice pool bonus on every Matrix test, some extended test interval are shorter and you don't get distracted by the gunfight between your team and the security guards (-1 to -3 dice pool modifier for distraction when in AR). I'm not sure, but I guess that wound modifiers may not apply due to not feeling the pain (it'd be consistent with the -6 perception test modifier while in VR)

I also think that the Edit Program should be able to do edit video feeds in real time without too much troubles.

The clarifications about agents indicate that agents can't exactly be used as hacking companions. Either you use them as ICE or to act on their own (for datasearch or low-level hacking (yeah, I know that rulewise nothing prevents a level 6 agent to be as powerful as a good hacker, but as a GM I don't accept it)). But bringing them with you on your hacking trip will tend to slow down your commlink (or you'll have to upload them on the node) or you need a commlink per agent (which might get expensive).

QUOTE ("SR4 FAQ")
In most cases, you can turn off any of the tracks in a sim module if you like -- sight, hearing, emotive, etc. BTLs, however, have an override that prevents the individual tracks from being turned off.

I guess that the tricks ads use in "spam zones" to get around the filters prevent the user from turning them off but I'd like to get confirmation about this. It seems that they already override RAS (porn stimulations are mentionned, which means either that RAS is overridden or that you can't move each time you experience an ad in a "spam zone").
If they also can't be turned off, it would mean that a hacker would be able to control the senses and the emotions of the average man on the street after hacking his commlink. :spin:

+Quote Post
ElFenrir
post Dec 10 2006, 04:33 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,337

What determines whether a character is a Hacker or not, for the purposes of awarding points for Simsense Vertigo?

Id say this one should really be just GM choice. I cant think of any hard and fast rules here. A hacker, as in the hacker archetype, or whatnot, should get the 10. A fully combo combat hacker, like SR3's old Combat Decker archetype, should also be viable for 10(being able to defend yourself and party doesnt make you not a hacker. It just makes you a tough one.)

A sammie that has a few hacking skills that he uses once in a while, or in emergencies only, i think would take the five. I guess 'dabbler hackers' would be a 5 pointer, since they arent in it enough for them to get the full.

The hard part is trying to determine from the start....perhaps thats what you meant? I guess someone could end up taking a few hacking skills at chargen, get the 10 and then never use them. On the other hand someone could only take a few hacking skills and use them very often. (i think thats why the 'certain number of skills must be hacking' wouldnt work.

+Quote Post
yesman
post Dec 10 2006, 05:30 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 7,758

this kind of bugs me:

Do all the programs loaded into an agent affect the Response of your commlink if the commlink is running the agent?

Only if the agent is using those programs at the same time as the hacker.

Only if the agent is using those programs.

why is that question asked twice with two answers? Am I missing something that makes this clear?

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Dec 10 2006, 05:41 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

What determines whether a character is a Hacker or not, for the purposes of awarding points for Simsense Vertigo?

That's an easy one: If you don't choose this flaw because it limits your chars general performance too much, its worth 10 points :D.

QUOTE (SR4 FAQ v1.1)
Technomancers do not have a natural "skinlink," so to access a device physically they would need some way of plugging into it (either by wirelessly accessing another device plugged into the target device or by using a datajack or trode net).

Interesting. I never really thought about it, but I guess datajacks / trodes would have to have some kind of pass-through feature where they just pipe the brainwave information to some upstream device that can interpret it, but in this case, it's not brainwave data, it's actual raw computer data from the organic commlink in the TM's brain. (They probably have to hack the headers on the outgoing data stream or something). Personally, I would have just given the TM's natural skinlinking. When you've got magical radio brains that work at a distance, why shouldn't you be able to manipulate the EM fields very near your body as well?

Aww, that ruling is no fun. As I have said in the past, I give TMs a natural skinlink. Of course, the TM can still only interact with wireless devices or devices that have a skinlink interface.

+Quote Post
wind_in_the_ston...
post Dec 10 2006, 06:54 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,332

QUOTE (Jack Kain)
Sure they meant it, an RFID tag that monitors the implant and reports problems is still a wireless enabled computer. They just mistakenly say it isn't in the FAQ.

If the RFID tag is sending out a signal, you could muck with that signal, but 'ware configured that way wouldn't allow for any input, so you couldn't hack it itself. But the main reason for wireless interfaces on much cyberware is for not only diagnostics, but adjustments. If it's not wireless, you've got to get cut open to fix it. Either that or have it connected by datajack.

+Quote Post
wind_in_the_ston...
post Dec 10 2006, 07:01 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,332

This is their way of saying Technomancers can only access a device through a wireless signal. I believe in SR3 they could access any device (because there was no such thing as a wireless signal for the Matrix). I know you're not the only one disappointed with this change in physics.

+Quote Post
Chandon
post Dec 10 2006, 07:34 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,115

QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
And yet, there's Alternate Reality Environment software that does just this sort of real time image editing with no problem and according to this same FAQ, because ARE programs don't have a rating, they only take negligible amounts of memory/processing power to run. So, which is it? A ratingless Virtual Weather program that can "make the rain go away" and do so without even causing a drop in Response on your commlink, or an edit program that regardless of rating, isn't quick enough to edit video real time?

An ARE doesn't have to look so real that you can't tell one is running.

+Quote Post
Protagonist
post Dec 10 2006, 08:05 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 8,459

QUOTE (Konsaki)
Your first statement holds true in my mind... They just nerfed VR hackers and Technomancers to no end, just because they allowed that rule. It is almost not worth it to play a Technomancer anymore, since their only boon is Threading and Sprites, but the limitations placed on having those powers seem to outweigh the boon. I only hope that they add more to technomancers with Emergence and Unwired or else I might not play another Technomancer unless under houseruled settings...

Because that rule really destroys the flavor of them (why doesn't this forum have a roll eyes emote?).

I thought that sprites and threading were MAJOR advantages (considering threading could possibly bring a complex forum to over 12+ depending on the technomancer's resonance).

I'm always horribly amused by the people that cry out based on the smallest little thing, and refuse to play something because of it.

+Quote Post
Konsaki
post Dec 10 2006, 08:16 PM
Post #14

Runner

Member No.: 8,445

QUOTE (Protagonist)
QUOTE (Konsaki @ Dec 7 2006, 07:47 AM)

Because that rule really destroys the flavor of them (why doesn't this forum have a roll eyes emote?).

I thought that sprites and threading were MAJOR advantages (considering threading could possibly bring a complex forum to over 12+ depending on the technomancer's resonance).

I'm always horribly amused by the people that cry out based on the smallest little thing, and refuse to play something because of it.

Before you say something, make a perception check, why dont you? Check my sig? My main char is a TM.
I'm well aware of the strengths and weaknesses of TM's and I'm saying the noted FAQ answer lowers their value.

+Quote Post
Protagonist
post Dec 10 2006, 08:24 PM
Post #15

Target

QUOTE (Konsaki)
Before you say something, make a perception check, why dont you? Check my sig? My main char is a TM.
I'm well aware of the strengths and weaknesses of TM's and I'm saying the noted FAQ answer lowers their value.

Wow, I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. I already assumed that you were playing a technomancer. I didn't need to make a "perception check" in real life to realize that.

The AR thing already worked that way since SR4 was launched; they just clarified it. How can it lower their worth if it's always been that way for this edition?

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Dec 10 2006, 09:16 PM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (wind_in_the_stones)
This is their way of saying Technomancers can only access a device through a wireless signal. I believe in SR3 they could access any device (because there was no such thing as a wireless signal for the Matrix). I know you're not the only one disappointed with this change in physics.

Actually, Technomancers didn't even exist in SR3. The Otaku were not the same thing.

+Quote Post
Charon
post Dec 10 2006, 09:41 PM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 7,087

QUOTE (wind_in_the_stones @ Dec 10 2006, 02:01 PM)

1 - The Otakus of SR3 were not quite TMs. Essential difference being that they needed datajack and that cyberware wasn't a problem for them. But they were like deckers in that they needed to physically connect to something before they could hack anything. So there was a change of physics since SR3 ; The TM have more freedom than the Otaku.

2 - There was plenty of wireless in SR3. There was detailed rules about wireless network using different medium (Infrared, microwave, radio etc.) , how to connect to them and what effect it had on the bandwidth. Decker and Otaku alike needed to use a secondary device to be able to pickup these wireless signals.

3 - A TM confronted to a wired network/system simply needs to physically connect a wireless device to the network/system in order to access it through the wireless device. A wireless device like, say, a commlink. You can see the dreadful disadvantage they suffer when compared to a normal hacker who, in order to connect to a wired network/system can simply physically connect his... commlink.

Bottom line, if the TM can't access it through wireless, he needs to somehow physically connect to it. But so does the hacker! So nobody got screwed.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 10 2006, 10:42 PM
Post #18

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Protagonist)
why doesn't this forum have a roll eyes emote?

It does ... :please:

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Dec 10 2006, 11:02 PM
Post #19

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (Konsaki @ Dec 7 2006, 06:47 AM)

Please do us all a favour and put down the crack pipe. Spending a mere 13 karma a Techno can submerge to get Overclocking and presto they are at 4 IP AND have the +2 dice. Plus, you know, the sprites that someone else mentioned are damn keen too.

Anyway I'm pretty sure Synner has hinted at it here a few times, and others have mentioned the possibility, but maybe subtlty was not the way to reach you.

Augmentation is not out yet! Perhaps [and I'd rank it at a pretty damn good bet] there just might be something in there or Unwired that allows you to gain that 4th IP without a crapload of boosting to get your meat up to 4IP, and still retain the benefit of the extra (and not so easily discounted in my mind) +2 bonus dice.

This not so delicate post brought to you by the letters Orange and Big, the number +2, and posters like you.

+Quote Post
Protagonist
post Dec 10 2006, 11:43 PM
Post #20

Target

QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Protagonist @ Dec 11 2006, 07:05 AM)
why doesn't this forum have a roll eyes emote?

It does ... :please:

But that one simply can't relay the level of sarcasm/scoffing that I find comfortable! :spin:

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Dec 11 2006, 01:26 AM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 7,534

QUOTE (blakkie @ Dec 10 2006, 06:02 PM)

Augmentation is not out yet! Perhaps [and I'd rank it at a pretty damn good bet] there just might be something in there or Unwired that allows you to gain that 4th IP without a crapload of boosting to get your meat up to 4IP, and still retain the benefit of the extra (and not so easily discounted in my mind) +2 bonus dice.

Yes, that might be true . . .
(mostly to balance the mundane hacker vs the adept hacker)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:49 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.