Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ambushing Vehicle Convoys, Further Info Required
satcong
post Aug 18 2003, 02:40 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,515

Thanks to all who replied to the earlier thread, information was most welcome. However, now that I know how the attack is carried out I have a few more questions.

1. When an explosive device is detonated under the target vehicle, let's say it inflicts 14D damage, does the vehicle floor absorb some of this damage (like a barrier?) before the occupants of the vehicle take a Damage Resistance Test themselves?

2. If deadly damage is inflicted on the vehicle, it automatically crashes - does the driver get to make a crash test?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Aug 18 2003, 03:17 PM
Post #2

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

2. If deadly damage is inflicted on the vehicle, it automatically crashes - does the driver get to make a crash test?

Page 147 lists having the vehicle destroyed as a reason for making a crash test. However, there's no listing for what the TN modifier is for the Destroyed level on the vehicle condition monitor. From the Errata, we also have some help, which indicates at Destroyed you make a crash test.

I'd go ahead and allow the crash test with the serious wound modifier. Pass or fail, the vehicle comes to a complete stop, the only difference being whether or not the passengers are goo.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Aug 18 2003, 04:23 PM
Post #3

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

1. When an explosive device is detonated under the target vehicle, let's say it inflicts 14D damage, does the vehicle floor absorb some of this damage (like a barrier?) before the occupants of the vehicle take a Damage Resistance Test themselves?

it works just like any other attack against a vehicle, and damage against people inside the vehicle is given in sr3 p. 147.

no, basicly the vehicle is toast, no controls work or anything like that, most likely the vehicle have broken up. start checking damage for people inside...

+Quote Post
Switchblade
post Aug 18 2003, 05:11 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 2,315

I wouldn't think you would need to make a crash test, as the vehicle is destroyed and the rigger has no hopes of driving it and therefore avoiding the crash. However, BBB pg 147 second column under "Crashing" third bullet point says differently. If the vehicle gets destroyed, you have to make a crash test.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Aug 18 2003, 05:44 PM
Post #5

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

The result of a failed crash test is, specifically, an collision. It's possible that a vehicle without a working engine could still be steered to a safe stop. Which is why I'd go ahead and allow the crash test. The damage to the vehicle's steering is represented by the wound modifier.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Aug 18 2003, 09:15 PM
Post #6

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

and i would expect that a vehicle that are pr definition destroyed (that what the D when attacking vehicles) are not under control. and whats the point of makeing a crash test with a vehicle thats allready damaged to the breakingpoint? only reason i can think of is the people inside but if you blow the vehicle to hell then most likely anyone inside is dead or dieing (excluding that combat troll in heavy military armor and level 4 dermal sheath that is)...

+Quote Post
Ed_209a
post Aug 18 2003, 10:03 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,128

I would say it depends on exactly _how_ the vehicle reached Deadly damage.

If it goes to Deadly status from one attack, say ATGM vs stepvan, then it is little more than a pile of junk in motion, burning brightly.

If it is gradually ground to Deadly by a succession of Light & Moderate wounds, then it would kind of coast to a stop, or suffer a loss of control & crash.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Aug 18 2003, 10:21 PM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

I personally toss on a +4 TN modifier for Deadly in situations like these.

~J

+Quote Post
Laughlyn
post Aug 18 2003, 10:46 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 548

Hobgoblin wrote

no, basicly the vehicle is toast, no controls work or anything like that, most likely the vehicle have broken up. start checking damage for people inside...

The GM should make a judgment call on this based on the weapon used and how badly the vehicle was damaged. If you watch footage of vehicles being taken out you don't typically see a pattern. Unless of course that pattern is to watch the vehicle being blown into lots of little pieces. A deadly wound to a vehicle can be as little as a blown motor/transmission to said vehicle being turned into confetti. Again it should be a judgment call and not a hard fast rule.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Aug 18 2003, 11:57 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

Watch enough "Worlds Wildest Police Videos" and you'll see cars being disabled in nice comfy ways, and cars being disabled in bad painful ways. I say you still roll a crash test to find out which way your vehicle is disabled :)

+Quote Post
RangerJoe
post Aug 19 2003, 12:38 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,897

Remember, the vehicle condition monitor is just like the physical condition monitor of a PC. A Deadly wound does not mean "wham! Your PC is stone dead. Time to make a new character." Rather, it means, "Unless your buds slap a trauma patch on you or get you some other attention ASAP, you're going to experience a (variably) slow and agonizing death on the floor of wherever you got hit." Thus, it makes sense for a vehicle which has taken D damage to be able to make a (heavily modified) crash test. My '95 neon is driving around with something like an S level wound on it. One more really big pot hole (eh, M damage or so) and I'll be needing to make a crash test, even though the car is still more or less put together (not broken up). Hooray for abstract damage systems.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:29 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.