Reply to this topicStart new topic
> possession..., and ways to fight it.
6thDragon
post Dec 13 2006, 12:38 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,605

I plan on adding an encounter with a spirit with the possession power at my next session and was wanting to plan out ways for the PCs to fight back. I know when the spirit wants to take possession of a PC the spirit rolls force x2 against the characters willpower+intuition (I assume many players will also add edge or save it for a reroll). Now comes the part of what to do once the spirit eventually takes possession of a character. The obvious way to handle it would be for any team magician to try to banish the spirit, but if that doesn't work what methods of attacking the spirit would not kill the character? Obviously they would be better off inflicting stun damage instead of physical. I'm trying to think of some other ways of fighting back. Could the mage astrally project and attack the spirit...they are dual natured after all? Would this damage be limited to the spirit or would the character get hurt as well? Has anyone else used this in their game sessions lately? If so how powerful is it? It would suck for which ever player has his character taken over, but that's what edge is for. I want to add a challenge to the next session, but I want to give the players a fighting chance. Any suggestions?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
knasser
post Dec 13 2006, 12:56 AM
Post #2

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

Given that PCs usually have some good attributes and will certainly be using Edge to fend off the possession attempt, then it's going to have to be a reasonably high-force spirit to succeed in the possession attempt. That means the resulting composite entity will be quite powerful. Particularly as the most susceptible characters to possession are likely to be the most physically powerful. Make sure you do a mental dry-run on the resulting abilities before you inflict this on a team that's suddenly minus their tank.

That aside (and I hope you don't take offense at the above), I would firstly provide a few handy ways to deal with the spirit if the party get into trouble. You're right that they're going to need to use stun damage so convenient power outlet panels, overhanging electricity cables etc, might be handy.

Attacking the spirit in the astral wont spare the possessed player as such because it's now a single composite entity, although you could choose to inflict stun damage via astral which would have the similar effect.

Under normal circumstances a ward will simply block the creature. However, if you were to use the rules for involuntary travel through a ward in SR4, you could probably allow the spirit to be forced out. Probably would knock out the character as per the dual nature rules, though. If the battle takes place in a highly secure area with a lot of strong wards about, then this gives the PCs another avenue of attack. Similarly if you had previously set-up security measures such as stun-gas (forget the name) filling a room when the alarm triggered. That sort of stuff.

The PCs could just grapple the bastard and pump him full of supplies from the medkit, though I don't fancy their chances.

Give some thought to the type of spirit and its motivations. Maybe they can bargain or initimidate it. They could restrain it and torture it until the pain causes it to flee the host.

Also give some thought to what the possessed player is doing all of this time. If he's just sitting around frustrated because you took his character away from him, that's not good. I'm planning this to happen at some point in my game, and my idea is that the player will be consoled when I suddenly present him with a temporary modified character sheet and give him free reign to take on the rest of the party. You have to be very careful with this and trust your player, but it could be a lot of fun. Particularly if he leads them on a bit of a hunter-prey chase.

These are just some thoughts. Seriously though, be careful with the power levels. I really hope I'm not being patronising, but think about what giving the party troll +5 to all physical attributes, 10 points of hardened armour against everything and whatever odd powers the possessing spirit has such as elemental aura (flame).

EDIT: I ommitted mentioning just manabolting the thing into unconciousness, because you said you were looking for alternate ways of handling it.

+Quote Post
6thDragon
post Dec 13 2006, 01:08 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,605

I was under the impression manabolting would inflict physical damage on the player.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Dec 13 2006, 01:42 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (6thDragon)
I was under the impression manabolting would inflict physical damage on the player.

yes, i expect it would.

anyways, you could also theoretically use attacks of will. i have a hard time seeing how that would hurt the character. potentially you could also drop something like a mana static spell... i will be honest and say i have no clue what happens when a spirit is dropped to force 0 while possessing someone, but i feel confident it's not healthy for the spirit, and shouldn't really affect the possessed individual much :P

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Dec 13 2006, 02:11 AM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

Can you attack it astrally or is it buried out of reach inside the subject?

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Dec 13 2006, 02:12 AM
Post #6

Great Dragon

QUOTE (James McMurray)
Can you attack it astrally or is it buried out of reach inside the subject?

oh, you can definitely attack it astrally. the question is whether attacking it astrally harms the person being possessed also (personally, i think it shouldn't, but that's just me).

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Dec 13 2006, 02:20 AM
Post #7

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...just dealt with Possession from the GM's perspective during our last session. Had it attempted on an NPC & it took several tries by the persistent spirit to actually take over the character. Of course, this was a "Star" NPC who did have better than average scores for Willpower & Intuition.

Not one of my favourite powers mind you. Does kind of take things out of the Player's or GM's hands depending on who summoned the spirit. In the scenario mentioned above, it did take away from one of the more fun aspects of the mission since part of the challenge was that the fellow the team was hired to play bodyguard for was an eccentric scientist.

+Quote Post
Lord Ben
post Dec 13 2006, 02:35 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,659

I don't think the power is right for the "take him over and play around a little bit before he gets his body back" type scenario. It looks more like a "well he has your body now" type thing.

Your best bet would be to tailor some mechanics to suit the situation. And describe it with hints as to ways around it.

Fire (for example) Spirit visibly shoves himself into Bobs body and Bob's eyes glow with an evil glint. Bob reaches for his gun and a look of horror spreads across his face as he shoots at Sally while saying "I'm sorry".

Then let the PC's try to talk him down and give him another roll to try to get his body back, etc. It may not be 100% by the book, but if it's the scene you're looking for then who cares.

And if a PC argues with you tell them to STFU and roll paranormal knowledge. If they fail say they have no clue, and if they succeed tell them people have been known to force the body out themselves.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Dec 13 2006, 03:51 AM
Post #9

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

While the spirit and the vessel are merged, any damage of any type inflicted on either affects both. That's bad, but at least it's consistent. On the minus side, this means that an astral attack or even an attack of will against the spirit will cause sympathetic wounds to the vessel. On the plus side, this means that shooting your friend in the face with a physical bullet will cause sympathetic wounds to the spirit.

That being said, Stun Damage is the way to go. As soon as the victim is unconcious, the spirit is too. It'll just sit there being unconcious. And if you eject it with Banishment, the spirit will be immediately disrupted.

The spirit can't really cause any trouble and your friend will be fine. You'll have to kick the spirit out and revive them - but they won't die or suffer permanent physical injury.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Dec 13 2006, 03:55 AM
Post #10

Great Dragon

hmmm... well that's annoying... convenient from a bookkeeping aspect, but annoying...

so, uhhh... this means that a possessed (meta)human in space is going to die a horrible, horrible death i take it?

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Dec 13 2006, 04:09 AM
Post #11

Prime Runner

QUOTE (Jaid)
hmmm... well that's annoying... convenient from a bookkeeping aspect, but annoying...

so, uhhh... this means that a possessed (meta)human in space is going to die a horrible, horrible death i take it?

Only if the spirit is very big.

If the spirit is of most normal sizes, the combined entity is going to be exposed to the damage of space exposure for one round - and also during that round the spirit's Force is going to wither away to nothing.

So space exposure is a painful, if short and effective method of removing a spirit from a possessed metahuman. The Force Reduction doesn't kill the human, it just disorients them briefly. By all means hurl your possessed friends into mana voids. They'll thank you as soon as the spiritual exit wounds heal over.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Dec 13 2006, 04:24 AM
Post #12

Great Dragon

hmmm... you know, it seems the longer it is since street magic came out, the more the mana static spell looks better and better (turn my rating 1 aspected power site into a rating 6? yes, please, and thank you FAQ.)

+Quote Post
knasser
post Dec 13 2006, 11:14 AM
Post #13

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

QUOTE (Jaid)
QUOTE (6thDragon @ Dec 12 2006, 08:08 PM)

yes, i expect it would.

Yep. Brain spasm - meant to type stunbolt.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Dec 13 2006, 11:17 AM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (Jaid)
hmmm... you know, it seems the longer it is since street magic came out, the more the mana static spell looks better and better (turn my rating 1 aspected power site into a rating 6? yes, please, and thank you FAQ.)

I know. That's one of my favorite bits out of the FAQ as well. Makes up for the fact that there's an actual "Aspected Mana Static" spell that was in development at some point, and got removed, though they forgot to delete it from the spell table in the back of Street Magic.

+Quote Post
Slithery D
post Dec 13 2006, 05:33 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,059

QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...just dealt with Possession from the GM's perspective during our last session. Had it attempted on an NPC & it took several tries by the persistent spirit to actually take over the character.

That's not actually possible if you follow the rules. If a spirit fails a possession attempt on a vessel it can't attempt to possess that vessel again until after the next sunrise/sunset. So you have to call up a new bound spirit or release and resummon a summoned spirit if you're determined to possess a particular person and your spirit fails the first time, except in the unusual situation where you're using a bound spirit who fails right before dusk/dawn.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Dec 13 2006, 05:53 PM
Post #16

Prime Runner

Or just a really persistent spirit following you around for days.

-Frank

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:59 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.