post Dec 13 2006, 02:31 AM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,019

Katamari

School: Manipulation

Type: P Range: Touch Duration: S DV: (F/2) +5

This creates a gigantic adhesive ball of... who knows. All we know is that it sticks to shit, and makes shit it sticks to stick to shit.

The ball starts out at Force + successes meters in diameter. Whenever it hits something, it makes a Magic + Force + successes test against the target's Body + reaction + 1/2 impact armor. If the target wins, the katamari may not make another attempt until it increases in size.

Once it absorbs a number of objects with a total body equal to twice its current diameter, its Force, diameter, and successes all increase by one. Moving the Katamari requires touch and a complex action.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Digital Heroin
post Dec 13 2006, 02:38 AM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,302

Sweet mother of pearl...

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Dec 13 2006, 02:48 AM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

i have a problem with this. actually, i have several problems with this.

1) it doesn't specify it only affects loose objects. so you can run into a trashcan and absorb that (which is fine balance wise), then continue on to the wall behind that and absorb it, then on to the skyscraper and absorb that (theoretically speaking, of course) and so forth.

2) the force of a spell should not be able to go up at all without some kind of effort from the caster. it also should not go up after the spell is cast.

3) it can move stuff around better than levitate can. as long as it is capable of absorbing the object (incidentally, you never said it absorbs the object), it can move it. it can move up, down, sideways, etc.

4) area spells have a radius, not diameter, equal to the force of the spell.

5) what happens when something is absorbed? does it turn into more of the sticky stuff, or does it just stick to it and get covered? what happens when you stop sustaining the spell?

6) how do you cast this spell without engulfing yourself into sticky stuff? the radius is centered on the target. you have to touch the target. now, i suppose if you happen to be a troll, you could cast this at force one and at least part of your body could be outside the ball thing's range... but you'd still be touching it, and subject to getting absorbed.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Dec 13 2006, 04:12 AM
Post #4

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Jaid)
1) it doesn't specify it only affects loose objects. so you can run into a trashcan and absorb that (which is fine balance wise), then continue on to the wall behind that and absorb it, then on to the skyscraper and absorb that (theoretically speaking, of course) and so forth.

5) what happens when something is absorbed? does it turn into more of the sticky stuff, or does it just stick to it and get covered? what happens when you stop sustaining the spell?

6) how do you cast this spell without engulfing yourself into sticky stuff? the radius is centered on the target. you have to touch the target. now, i suppose if you happen to be a troll, you could cast this at force one and at least part of your body could be outside the ball thing's range... but you'd still be touching it, and subject to getting absorbed.

This creates a gigantic adhesive ball of... who knows. All we know is that it sticks to shit, and makes shit it sticks to stick to shit.

I believe the proper response to those questions would be shit happens.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Dec 13 2006, 05:20 AM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (Jaid)

In this, the spell is almost entirely consistent with the inspiration it draws from.

+Quote Post
Marmot
post Dec 13 2006, 05:32 AM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 10,248

The finest spell ever concieved for Shadowrun. Ever.

+Quote Post
Charon
post Dec 13 2006, 05:38 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 7,087

If it grows, it becomes more powerful. And yet you didn't expand more energy so it is in part self sustaining.

So it goes beyond the scope of a standard spell IMO.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Dec 13 2006, 05:40 AM
Post #8

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

make it permanent duration

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Dec 13 2006, 05:45 AM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

How about each time it grows the mage has to make a new drain test. Similar to the game where the character slowly progresses through each stage making larger and larger balls of errr... junk. This is the same, the mage will have to keep working at it, increasing their willpower and such until they are to the levels of Dragons/Horror/Gods/Passions and then their balls will threaten the world! Bwahahahaha!!! :evil:

Ok, I'm blaming that lapse due to how late it is... good night! :silly:

+Quote Post
toturi
post Dec 13 2006, 05:51 AM
Post #10

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
This is the same, the mage will have to keep working at it, increasing their willpower and such until they are to the levels of Dragons/Horror/Gods/Passions and then their balls will threaten the world!

You mean that they'd have to keep increasing their Willpower to get the balls to threaten the world? :D

+Quote Post
Charon
post Dec 13 2006, 06:04 AM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 7,087

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Dec 13 2006, 12:40 AM)
make it permanent duration

Then the mage wouldn't be able to control the ball after it is cast.

+Quote Post
Kesslan
post Dec 13 2006, 06:22 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,116

>> In other news today, downtown Seattle is being ravaged by a large magical ball that is growing in size by the minute. So far the military has been unable to put a stop to it and... Oh my god! This just in! It seems the military rolled in the 21st tank batallion and the entire thing has been sucked up into the mystical ball. Officals are declaring a national emergency and are telling all people in Seattle to seek shelter.

They have also posted a 1,000,000 :nuyen: reward to anyone who can bring this madness to an end! *rumble rumble* Umm.. guys whats that? *Rumblerumblerumble* Oh my god! It's headed right for the bu*|_%(@@!

>>Automated Message: Were sorry, this station is currently experiencing technical difficulties, please stand by!

+Quote Post
Marmot
post Dec 13 2006, 06:27 AM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 10,248

Na na na na na NA na na na Katamari Damashi...

+Quote Post
ixombie
post Dec 13 2006, 08:26 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,481

Why is it that people always treat posts like this as serious?

The spell, as proposed, creates a big rolling ball which can in theory continue to expand until it gobbles up the entire galaxy, provided the spellcaster has some means of surviving hard vacuum so he can push the thing around and roll over stars and black holes and such. It's also based on a computer game.

This is an obvious joke... right?

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Dec 13 2006, 08:38 AM
Post #15

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

I must admit I don't go for Katamari as a spell... but as an AR game picking up up virtual models of objects it would be sweet! Just imagine how paranoid players could get as more and more people in th sprawl start to walk around pushing their arms rhythmically in front of them.

+Quote Post
Kesslan
post Dec 13 2006, 09:45 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,116

Katamari I choose you! FIGHT!

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Dec 13 2006, 02:51 PM
Post #17

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

QUOTE (Ophis)
I must admit I don't go for Katamari as a spell... but as an AR game picking up up virtual models of objects it would be sweet! Just imagine how paranoid players could get as more and more people in th sprawl start to walk around pushing their arms rhythmically in front of them.

Now that's funny. :D

(The spell is funny too, but "pushing arms rhythmically in front of them"!!?? Lolzers.)

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Dec 13 2006, 04:43 PM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

QUOTE (ixombie)
Why is it that people always treat posts like this as serious?

The spell, as proposed, creates a big rolling ball which can in theory continue to expand until it gobbles up the entire galaxy, provided the spellcaster has some means of surviving hard vacuum so he can push the thing around and roll over stars and black holes and such. It's also based on a computer game.

This is an obvious joke... right?

Yes and no, some of us just like to analyze the spell and how to make it feasible too just for kicks. Plus, it depends on the individual's campaign, but something like this may fit, can you see the player's faces when they see a huge ball comes rolling down the hall at them swallowing up furniture and even their teammates? Pure craziness for the less serious games.

+Quote Post
Konsaki
post Dec 13 2006, 04:59 PM
Post #19

Runner

Member No.: 8,445

By reading the description of the spell, word for word, I say this spell would only be usefull in the sewers or sanitation facility...

All we know is that it sticks to shit, and makes shit it sticks to stick to shit.

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Dec 13 2006, 05:10 PM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 9,168

QUOTE (Ophis)

I assume there are lots of very strange AR games in SR like this - games that incorporate the world around you.

The only one I've come up with is "SniperMAX." It uses an AR overlay to scan the area you're in. You have a virtual sniper rifle, and you can assassinate people that are on the street. When you shoot one, they fall over dead and lay there, bleeding. It's critisized for the lack of any real AI in the enemies (they seem to basically ignore all dead bodies unless they walk through them), but it provides an escapist thrill...

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Dec 13 2006, 05:16 PM
Post #21

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (lorechaser)
The only one I've come up with is "SniperMAX." It uses an AR overlay to scan the area you're in. You have a virtual sniper rifle, and you can assassinate people that are on the street. When you shoot one, they fall over dead and lay there, bleeding. It's critisized for the lack of any real AI in the enemies (they seem to basically ignore all dead bodies unless they walk through them), but it provides an escapist thrill...

Prosecution: You expect us to believe that someone hacked your commlink to make you believe that the rifle was, in fact, a virtual weapon and that the Prime Minister was an enemy in a video game? I suppose this permit for the weapon in question is a fake, too? And this video of you buying the weapon last week was, what, someone else disguised as you? Your honor, this is absurd!

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Dec 13 2006, 06:25 PM
Post #22

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
QUOTE (lorechaser @ Dec 13 2006, 12:10 PM)
The only one I've come up with is "SniperMAX."  It uses an AR overlay to scan the area you're in.  You have a virtual sniper rifle, and you can assassinate people that are on the street.  When you shoot one, they fall over dead and lay there, bleeding.  It's critisized for the lack of any real AI in the enemies (they seem to basically ignore all dead bodies unless they walk through them), but it provides an escapist thrill...

Prosecution: You expect us to believe that someone hacked your commlink to make you believe that the rifle was, in fact, a virtual weapon and that the Prime Minister was an enemy in a video game? I suppose this permit for the weapon in question is a fake, too? And this video of you buying the weapon last week was, what, someone else disguised as you? Your honor, this is absurd!

Ahhhhh, the results of a successful hacking, a successful data plant, and a successful combination of Physical Mask. Gotta love it.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 13 2006, 08:20 PM
Post #23

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

QUOTE (Marmot)
Na na na na na NA na na na Katamari Damashi...

hidamari sansan kokoro wa haremoyou futatsu no hitomi wa himawari no tane no you

katarai kasanari katamari karamari issho ni iru koto zettai hitsuzen

demo anata daiji na yume wo egaku owaru made wa zutto sou koko de matteiru

You're lonely rolling star tachidomaranaide nee You're lonely rolling star saa mae wo muite yukou

hoshizora kirakira konpeitou no you amakute setsunai omoi ga tsunoru no

dakishimeta omoi wa yozora wo mai kyuukouka shite anata no moto e todoku kara

You're lonely rolling star akiramenaide yo nee You're lonely rolling star tama ni wa denwa shite You're lonely rolling star aitai yo ima sugu You're lonely rolling star haa tameiki ga hitotsu koboreru

raigetsu mata ano basho de machiawase shiyou ka

You're lonely rolling star tachidomaranaide nee You're lonely rolling star omoidashite yo nee You're lonely rolling star matterarenai no nee You're lonely rolling star saa mae wo muite yukou

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Dec 13 2006, 08:32 PM
Post #24

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Un-freaking-necessary.
*blech*

+Quote Post
BrianL03
post Dec 13 2006, 08:52 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,504

I am hereby contributing 2 nuyen towards the successful creation of this as a spell XD

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:37 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.